Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Blade, I'm Snake. Great to meet you.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, Blade.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, Blade!

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome blade

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options

@MrTuvok, here's a good place to introduce yourself. You asked about Southern Draw, i like Southern Draw. The ones that stand out are the Jacob's Ladder and Rose of Sharon, and the Ignite Navy Seals is fantastic, but not sure that you'll be able to find any.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

SD Firethorn lancero is no joke. Great smoke

• Options

I also liked the police edition. I forget the actual name of it.

• Options

You, sir, are indeed a lucky man.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sir said:
    What's up everyone. This is Dirk in Wisconsin. Just about 2 yrs into this hobby. Prefer almost everything from Tatuaje, Roma Craft, Powstanie, Patina. Like a few from Southern Draw, Drew Estate, Crowned Heads, CAO, Drew Estate (not infused). I pretty quickly moved into full body and full strength sticks such as LFD DL and Tatuaje Gran Cojonu, etc.

I'm luckier than I deserve, as my wife, Monica, also likes cigars. What's perfect is that she smokes about a third of what I do. Result is that we smoke together sometimes, but she's also understanding when I head to the local lounge without her. Sort of the best of both worlds, lol.

Welcome @Sir, sounds like you’re off to a good start. You’ll find a lot of the people here enjoy the same sticks quite often.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the zoo.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Dirk.

• Options

Welcome to the forum, Dirk.

• Options

You @Sir, are clearly living a fine life. Your tastes in cigars are similar to many on here and you clearly have good taste in women. Welcome to the show.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoulda joined a couple of weeks ago and showed up for the MKE herf...

Where are you located, Dirk?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    SirSir Posts: 2
    edited June 2022

@peter4jc said:

People's Republic of Madison. At least we have lounges like the Tasting Room and Maduro.

Yeah I realized I just missed that herf. I'll stay in the loop for the next one

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sir said:

@peter4jc said:

People's Republic of Madison. At least we have lounges like the Tasting Room and Maduro.

Yeah I realized I just missed that herf. I'll stay in the loop for the next one

You're about an hour and a half from me, welcome to the forum. Make sure to jump on the vherf.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

But bruh, the user name?

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Welcome @Sir

• Options
    NewtNewt Posts: 5

Hi new guy here. Recently started cigars more seriously. Used to be just a golf or fishing thing but I need a new bad habit since I had to give up drinking, gambling. and chasing women. Well, I gave up drinking. Ugly mug made chasing women pointless and as for gambling, as long as the wife doesn't know....Anyway maybe I can pick a brain here?

Something I don't understand when purchasing cigars. Say I read a review written in 2014 and I buy the same name cigar here in 2022. I assume I'm not getting a 2014 cigar kept in a humidor for 8 years. Maybe I'm wrong? If not, then isn't the newer cigar really just that? Newly grown tobacco in different weather and susceptible to different profiles and flavors?

Any guidance or a link to understand the process would be appreciated!

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and firstly don’t read too much into reviews. Try different things and find what you enjoy then smoke that.

• Options

^agree

Welcome @Newt

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Newt. You’re right. A cigar from 2014 will taste quite a bit different than the same cigar from 2022. Not only because of the factors you mentioned but also because of the age itself. Different crop years will definitely yield different results as far as flavor profiles.
    But like these guys said…don’t put much stock into reviews. Everyone’s taste preferences are different. Figure out what kind of tobaccos you like and go from there. Hang around and check out the What Are You Smoking threads. A lot of these guys are pretty informative but most of us are just asśholes that like cigars.

• Options

Welcome @Newt.

• Options

Willkommen

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Newt and @Sir

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay attention to reviews, @Newt because most of them are hilarious.

Theoretically a blender makes a cigar with the idea that he or she can replicate it, overall taste wise, infinitely. Truth is, most do a pretty good job but never get it exact.

With that in mind, the copy you see on websites and in catalogs is mostly written by the manufacturer, but this can vary. Since they're trying and mostly succeeding in replicating a blend year after year, the "review," or more accurately put--the description written by the manufacturer is mostly right enough and can be trusted, as much as anything else you find in a cigar website or catalog.

Don't look ↑