Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rockmart Reviews

dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just fired up my first Kinky Cristo tonight.

The pre-light aroma is slightly sweet and fruity. A quick snip with the guillotine cutter revealed a perfect draw, with pre-light flavors of fruit and sweet tobacco. Upon lighting, the fruity taste is transformed into an earthy, smoky raisin and spicy-sweet tobacco, with a light coffee finish. I'm not getting any of the pepper that some reviews noted, but there is a definite spice from time to time...almost like paprika and ginger. It's quite interesting. Throughout the first third the flavors stay consistent. The burn is absolutely flawless, with a solid white ash holding out to two inches.

As I near the end of the second third, the raisin that others mentioned is very evident, as well as a sweet, meaty flavor...like the caramelized bark on a smoked ham! The smoke is pleasantly aromatic...makes me think of dried fruit, a mysterious spiciness, and smoked ham! The draw and burn remain perfect. The finish is picking up a little sweetness with the coffee.

The final third brings a touch of pepper on the palate as well as through the nose. The fruit and raisin have given way to a more woody flavor, with the touch of paprika and ginger still noticeable. The aroma has picked up something that I can't place...different than any other cigar I've experienced. Toward the end, the flavors transitioned yet again...back to sweeter, caramelized fruit and a longer sweet and leathery finish.

Throughout the 1:45 burn time, the Kinky Cristo remained cool and the burn perfect. I had read a few reviews that noted a hot smoke and numerous touch-ups...this was not the case with mine. This cigar is a solid medium body, with tons of flavors. In my opinion, it would be a great morning cigar paired with your choice of beverages. Overall, the Kinky Cristo was a pleasant experience that I look forward to revisiting again in the near future.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you got much more out of it then I did.. I'll revisit in about 6 mo...
  • Options
    The Grimalkin started off fairly spicy with a blast of black pepper and a touch of cinnamon. The initial aroma was like nothing I've experienced in a cigar...very pleasant, but I couldn't figure out exactly what it was. About half way through the first third the pepper gave way to a smooth cedar with hints of coffee. The slightest touch of cinnamon was still there as well as a little sweetness.

The halfway point brought in new fruit-like flavors...like unsweetened prunes (this may be the raisin that others experienced). The "prune" flavor, along with the cedar, coffee and touch of cinnamon continued as the dominant flavors to the nub.

The burn and draw were perfect from start to finish! I never picked up any of the citrus flavors or aromas that others have written about. I will give the other two sticks a while longer to rest before I revisit them. The Grimalkin is definitely worth trying. I'd love to see what some of the BOTL's with more seasoned palates have to say about this one.

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    Tonight I had the Est 1844 No. 54, a beautiful 5.7" x 54 stick with all Nicaraguan fillers and binder, and a San Andres Maduro wrapper. 

My pre-light inspection revealed a beautifully constructed, dark chocolate colored stick that lays heavy in the hand. 

The pre-light aroma is of damp earth with a hint of chocolate. A snip with the guillotine cutter revealed a perfect pre-light draw with flavors of sweet tobacco and chocolate. 

The first puff provided tons of thick, chewy smoke with flavors of strong coffee and earth, with a touch of sweetness and spicy kick on the tip of my tongue. The retrohale reveals an oily pepper taste on the palate...like freshly cracked black pepper. 

After the first third the pepper gives way to a light spice that compliments the earthy flavors and semi-sweet mocha/espresso finish. The smoke is enjoyable all the way to the nub. 

This cigar burns flawlessly for just over an hour, with cool smoke and a nice and firm gray ash that held to nearly 2" before I knocked it off. From start to finish I find no fault in the construction and burn of the Est 1844.

I received this cigar about a week ago, with an unknown date of purchase, so I'm to assume it's fairly fresh. I'm excited to see what a substantial rest will do for the flavors. 

• Options
    dbeckom:
    Tonight I had the Est 1844 No. 54, a beautiful 5.7" x 54 stick with all Nicaraguan fillers and binder, and a San Andres Maduro wrapper. 

My pre-light inspection revealed a beautifully constructed, dark chocolate colored stick that lays heavy in the hand. 

The pre-light aroma is of damp earth with a hint of chocolate. A snip with the guillotine cutter revealed a perfect pre-light draw with flavors of sweet tobacco and chocolate. 

The first puff provided tons of thick, chewy smoke with flavors of strong coffee and earth, with a touch of sweetness and spicy kick on the tip of my tongue. The retrohale reveals an oily pepper taste on the palate...like freshly cracked black pepper. 

After the first third the pepper gives way to a light spice that compliments the earthy flavors and semi-sweet mocha/espresso finish. The smoke is enjoyable all the way to the nub. 

This cigar burns flawlessly for just over an hour, with cool smoke and a nice and firm gray ash that held to nearly 2" before I knocked it off. From start to finish I find no fault in the construction and burn of the Est 1844.

I received this cigar about a week ago, with an unknown date of purchase, so I'm to assume it's fairly fresh. I'm excited to see what a substantial rest will do for the flavors. 

Excellent Review there DB!!!!
  • Options
    The Kid:
    dbeckom:

Thanks! That was an excellent cigar, but it has me a lil confused...I dont know whether I wanna buy one or two boxes off the Blitz :)

• Options
    Thanks for the review bro! Makes me feel much better about ordering a box today sight unseen. Now I can't wait to get them!
  • Options
    dbeckom:
    The Kid:
    dbeckom:

Thanks! That was an excellent cigar, but it has me a lil confused...I dont know whether I wanna buy one or two boxes off the Blitz :)
    LOL..Ah go for one, there will be another along shortly..lol, there always is
  • Options
    The Kid:
    dbeckom:
    The Kid:
    dbeckom:

LOL..Ah go for one, there will be another along shortly..lol, there always is
    Too late...I pulled the trigger on 2 boxes! One to smoke and the other to hide for a rainy day sometime next year!

• Options
    LOL,musta really liked em,
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Glad you enjoyed them. I ordered a box of the No. 60's, so looking forward to giving one a shot in the near future.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Sweet review, those sound good! I ordered a box of the 54s sight unseen so this review makes me psyched for them!
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Very well worded and detailed, I'll have to keep up with your reviews and see if we get similar flavor profiles and construction notes. What about reviewing some of our old favorites?
  • Options
    La Reloba Sumatra Toro- 6.2x52
    Nicaraguan filler and binder, with a Nicaraguan Sumatra wrapper.

This beast of a cigar is heavy in the hand and very firm, with no soft spots. There are a few small bumps and one wrinkle in the otherwise slick, oily wrapper. It has a sweet tobacco aroma. Upon cutting I notice a tight pre-light draw, with sweet mocha flavors.

From the first puffs, and throughout the first third I am met with a blast of peppery spice and tons of thick, complex and chewy smoke with sweet, vegetal flavors and a semi-sweet, woody finish. Toward the end of the first third, I'm picking up some sweet chocolate and coffee flavors and the finish is transitioning toward coffee and sweet spice. The retrohale now reveals a sweet, cinnamon with diminishing pepper. To sniff the end (Nasalhale-thanks BlueRings) reveals a sweet, creamy coffee aroma. The burn is uneven at times requiring a couple touch-ups in first third, and the ash is light gray and firm, with a little flaking.

Throughout the second third, the flavors remain mostly sweet and vegetal, with a salty spice and a salty/sweet/savory finish (applewood bacon)…leaving an oily feel on lips and palate. A touch of pepper and sweet spice is evident in the retrohale. The burn issues from the first third have gave way to a perfectly straight, razor sharp burn line, with a very firm ash. The aroma is sweet and smoky.

The final third flavors remain complex, with sweet, salty, vegetal flavors and a touch of sweet spice. The finish is long with a leathery/coffee flavor. At this point I noticed a return of the pepper on the retrohale. The flavors remained great to the nub with no signs of bitterness.

As the burn progressed, the draw loosened considerably and the burn became flawless, with a dense light grey ash and a thin burn line. The burn of this cigar is very slow, with a 1:50 burn time. The smoke remained cool to the nub and never got bitter. I found the La Reloba Sumatra to be a full flavored cigar, with a solid medium body.

I definitely look forward to smoking this cigar again…soon!

• Options
    Another excellent review!!Good Job,and thanks
  • Options
    Est 1844 No. 54, a beautiful 5.7" x 54. I had A similar experience. The only difference was A heavy oiliness and slight tingle on the back of the tongue. A nice medium bodied experience.
  • Options
    La Pearla Habana Black Pearl

Robusto 5x52
    Wrapper: Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro
    Filler: Nicaraguan, Mexican and Dominican
    Medium Body
    5+ Months at 68% RH
    Burn time: 1:20

The dark brown wrapper is oily to the touch, with a few small veins, and tight invisible seams. This stick is heavy in the hand and firm, with no soft spots. The aroma is sweet barnyard with a hint of cocoa.

The end piece of the cap peeled back when I cut it with my guillotine, so I removed the loose piece and found the rest of the cap to be intact. The pre-light draw is a bit tight but manageable, with a sweet tobacco flavor.

Upon lighting, the thick white smoke has a sweet, cooling effect on the tongue and palate. The flavors are sweet, vegetal, and toasty, with a clean finish and very little spice on the retrohale. By the end of the first third the draw has loosened up a little.

For the second third the sweetness has faded but the flavors remain toasty, vegetal, and somewhat nutty, with a touch of cayenne pepper. The retrohale has a lil more pepper and spice, and the finish remains fairly short with a touch of roasted nut, coffee, and a hint of red pepper on the back of my palate and throat.

On the final third, the smoke is cool and sweet as it hits the tongue, transitioning to vegetal, and nutty, with a spicy zing as it expands across my palate. There is now a moderate dose of cayenne and black pepper on the retrohale. The finish is fairly short with a nutty, leathery flavor and a hint of spice on the palate.

The draw improved through the first and middle thirds and was perfect by the start of the final third. The burn is a little uneven at times but this could be caused by the ceiling fan above me on the porch, otherwise the burn line is razor sharp. From start to finish the ash is firm and white, holding well past an inch where I always knock it off to prevent a mess.

I love this cigar and revisit it often. It never has let me down. The medium bodied smoke is thick and flavorful, offering a relaxing experience any time of the day.

• Options
    dbeckom:
    La Pearla Habana Black Pearl

Robusto 5x52
    Wrapper: Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro
    Filler: Nicaraguan, Mexican and Dominican
    Medium Body
    5+ Months at 68% RH
    Burn time: 1:20

The dark brown wrapper is oily to the touch, with a few small veins, and tight invisible seams. This stick is heavy in the hand and firm, with no soft spots. The aroma is sweet barnyard with a hint of cocoa.

The end piece of the cap peeled back when I cut it with my guillotine, so I removed the loose piece and found the rest of the cap to be intact. The pre-light draw is a bit tight but manageable, with a sweet tobacco flavor.

Upon lighting, the thick white smoke has a sweet, cooling effect on the tongue and palate. The flavors are sweet, vegetal, and toasty, with a clean finish and very little spice on the retrohale. By the end of the first third the draw has loosened up a little.

For the second third the sweetness has faded but the flavors remain toasty, vegetal, and somewhat nutty, with a touch of cayenne pepper. The retrohale has a lil more pepper and spice, and the finish remains fairly short with a touch of roasted nut, coffee, and a hint of red pepper on the back of my palate and throat.

On the final third, the smoke is cool and sweet as it hits the tongue, transitioning to vegetal, and nutty, with a spicy zing as it expands across my palate. There is now a moderate dose of cayenne and black pepper on the retrohale. The finish is fairly short with a nutty, leathery flavor and a hint of spice on the palate.

The draw improved through the first and middle thirds and was perfect by the start of the final third. The burn is a little uneven at times but this could be caused by the ceiling fan above me on the porch, otherwise the burn line is razor sharp. From start to finish the ash is firm and white, holding well past an inch where I always knock it off to prevent a mess.

I love this cigar and revisit it often. It never has let me down. The medium bodied smoke is thick and flavorful, offering a relaxing experience any time of the day.

This is exactly the same experience I had with this cigar. Great review brother.
  • Options
    I was really looking forward to reviewing the Cu-Avana Intenso Churchill tonight...I've had one already and loved it! This one is a beautiful stick with a thick, oily wrapper, and a sweet barnyard aroma. Everything was going perfect, thick white smoke with a spicy retrohale...then on about the third puff I noticed a bitter metallic flavor creeping in. As I progressed through the first third and into the second, the metallic taste dominated the flavor and the finish! Half way through I let it die...too many good cigars to spend my time on one I'm not enjoying.

I was looking at buying a box of these if this one turned out as good as the first. Now I've gotta find a couple more to smoke before I can decide to buy.

Anyone else have this issue?

• Options
    did you crack it open and check it out? Although its rare Ive seen some weird things get rolled up..
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    dbeckom:
    I was really looking forward to reviewing the Cu-Avana Intenso Churchill tonight...I've had one already and loved it! This one is a beautiful stick with a thick, oily wrapper, and a sweet barnyard aroma. Everything was going perfect, thick white smoke with a spicy retrohale...then on about the third puff I noticed a bitter metallic flavor creeping in. As I progressed through the first third and into the second, the metallic taste dominated the flavor and the finish! Half way through I let it die...too many good cigars to spend my time on one I'm not enjoying.

I was looking at buying a box of these if this one turned out as good as the first. Now I've gotta find a couple more to smoke before I can decide to buy.

Never had the Intenso in the churchil, but have had several in the torpedo and LOVED EM!!! Pretty well everything you mentioned in the first few puffs, and with a good bit of power. This one is a bit of a one-trick pony (not very complex), but when that one trick is YUM - who cares? :-)

I think you should definitely give this one another whirl, but in another size. This is exactly why I generally dont smoke robustos - not a whole lot of good experiences with them, and 99% of the time the cigar is much more enjoyable to me in smaller sizes.

l
  • Options
    The Kid:
    did you crack it open and check it out? Although its rare Ive seen some weird things get rolled up..
    I haven't yet, but I plan to tomorrow.

• Options
    The Sniper:
    dbeckom:

Never had the Intenso in the churchil, but have had several in the torpedo and LOVED EM!!! Pretty well everything you mentioned in the first few puffs, and with a good bit of power. This one is a bit of a one-trick pony (not very complex), but when that one trick is YUM - who cares? :-)

I think you should definitely give this one another whirl, but in another size. This is exactly why I generally dont smoke robustos - not a whole lot of good experiences with them, and 99% of the time the cigar is much more enjoyable to me in smaller sizes.

l
    I plan on giving it another run as soon as I can grab a couple more. I got those in a trade a few weeks back. After the first one I was excited to smoke the next, then probably buy a box...it was that good!

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    dbeckom:
    The Sniper:
    dbeckom:

l
    I plan on giving it another run as soon as I can grab a couple more. I got those in a trade a few weeks back. After the first one I was excited to smoke the next, then probably buy a box...it was that good!
    Ive gotta wonder if the one that wasnt so good was significantly younger than the delicious one you had. These get SO much better with age its ridiculous!

• Options
    The Sniper:
    dbeckom:
    The Sniper:
    dbeckom:

l
    Ive gotta wonder if the one that wasnt so good was significantly younger than the delicious one you had. These get SO much better with age its ridiculous!

Good to know
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    dbeckom:
    The Sniper:
    dbeckom:

l

They both came from the same person...I'd assume they were the same age. I think it was just a bad stick.

• Options
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
    Square press Toro 6x52
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
    Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran, Peruvian Ligero’s
    Binder: Dominican Corojo
    Resting since Dec, 2010
    Burn Time: 1:35

The 5 Vegas Cask Strength has a dark brown and oily Corojo wrapper with small veins and tight, invisible seams. There are a few small wrinkles in the binder that take away from the otherwise flawless appearance of the wrapper. This stick has the aroma of dark tobacco and earth, with a touch of chocolate on the foot. The pre-light draw is perfect, with light flavors of semi-sweet tobacco and earth.

Toasting the foot reveals a cloud of thick smoke with a toasty tobacco and oak aroma. The first draw provides a thick, palate consuming cloud of smoke with flavors of nut, coffee and spice. The smoke greets me with a touch of sweetness on the tip of the tongue that quickly gives way to a spicy explosion and a peppery exhale. The finish at this point is fairly short with notes of cedar and oily black pepper. A sniff of the head reveals a fresh brewed coffee aroma.

For the start of second third the flavors settled in to a toasty mix, with a touch of sweetness and a hint of spice and pepper on the retrohale. Then after about 3 puffs the strong pepper and spice came back with a vengeance. The finish is getting longer with toasty flavors and a hint of coffee and spice.

The final third brings back a sweet coffee flavor, with a touch of cedar and nutty flavors. The finish is sweet and toasty, with a touch of oily spice on the palate. The pepper continues to come and go throughout the final third....just when you get relaxed, it blows your head off again!

The ash is medium grey and a tad flakey at times from start to finish. It'll only hold for about an inch before falling all over. The burn is very inconsistent...great at times, and terrible at others, requiring several touch ups, and a couple re-lights.

This was my first 5 Vegas Cask Strength II, but it certainly won’t be my last. I loved the complexity and ever-changing flavors, and the surprise blasts of pepper and spice were a great addition to the overall experience.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
    Square press Toro 6x52
    Resting since Dec, 2010

The 5 Vegas Cask Strength has a dark brown and oily Corojo wrapper with small veins and tight, invisible seams. There are a few small wrinkles in the binder that take away from the otherwise flawless appearance of the wrapper. This stick has the aroma of dark tobacco and earth, with a touch of chocolate on the foot. The pre-light draw is perfect, with light flavors of semi-sweet tobacco and earth.

Toasting the foot reveals a cloud of thick smoke with a toasty tobacco and oak aroma. The first draw provides a thick, palate consuming cloud of smoke with flavors of nut, coffee and spice. The smoke greets me with a touch of sweetness on the tip of the tongue that quickly gives way to a spicy explosion and a peppery exhale. The finish at this point is fairly short with notes of cedar and oily black pepper. A sniff of the head reveals a fresh brewed coffee aroma.

For the start of second third the flavors settled in to a toasty mix, with a touch of sweetness and a hint of spice and pepper on the retrohale. Then after about 3 puffs the strong pepper and spice came back with a vengeance. The finish is getting longer with toasty flavors and a hint of coffee and spice.

The final third brings back a sweet coffee flavor, with a touch of cedar and nutty flavors. The finish is sweet and toasty, with a touch of oily spice on the palate. The pepper continues to come and go throughout the final third....just when you get relaxed, it blows your head off again!

The ash is medium grey and a tad flakey at times from start to finish. It'll only hold for about an inch before falling all over. The burn is very inconsistent...great at times, and terrible at others, requiring several touch ups, and a couple re-lights.

This was my first 5 Vegas Cask Strength II, but it certainly won’t be my last. I loved the complexity and ever-changing flavors, and the surprise blasts of pepper and spice were a great addition to the overall experience.

Nice review of a great cigar.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    dbeckom:
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
    Square press Toro 6x52
    Resting since Dec, 2010

Thanks for the superb review DB, The CS II and the Miami are my favs from 5 Vegas
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    good review on the 5 Vegas, db. interested to see what you think of the obsidian.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    good review on the 5 Vegas, db. interested to see what you think of the obsidian.
    I'll be sure to review one after a few days rest