5 Vegas Triple-A

5x56 Robusto
    Wrapper: PA Broadleaf Maduro
    Filler: Cuban Seed Ligeros from Condega, Jalapa, and Esteli
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Blended By: AJ Fernandez
    Full Body
    6 Weeks in Humidor @ 68% RH

The first thing I notice about the 5 Vegas Triple A is the big, bold double band that stands out against the dark, chocolate brown wrapper. This is a firmly packed stick with no soft spots and feels quite heavy in the hand. The dark, oily wrapper has minimal veins, tight invisible seams, and a perfect triple cap. It has a rich, dark tobacco aroma with just a hint of cocoa and earth.

A snip of my guillotine cutter reveals a perfect prelight draw, with just the right amount of resistance and a slightly sweet earthy flavor.

The flavors start out rich and bold, dominated by espresso and toasty tobacco with notes of cocoa and spice. Each puff of the thick smoke provides a hearty dose of oily black pepper on the retrohale, and a long semi-sweet finish of espresso with a lingering creaminess and spicy zing. The smoke has a very pleasant spicy and woody aroma. The full strength is evident and I'm feeling it toward the end of the first third.

The middle third flavors are complex with strong toasty, espresso flavors and some sweet and spicy notes. The retrohale alternates between a moderate pepper and a sweet spice. The finish remains long and smooth, with semi-sweet notes of espresso, spice, and a lingering creaminess. The strength seems to have mellowed somewhat from the first third.

The final third continues to bring toasty flavors with a more woody tone, more spice, and some savory, meaty notes. The retrohale has developed a more vegetal, peppery spice. The finish is now long and leathery, with some coffee and a heavier spice coating the tongue and palate. The smoke has developed a very distinct charred meat aroma.

In the beginning the ash is light to medium gray in color and loose, with some flaking. As time passed the ash becomes darker with more flaking, only holding to near an inch before dropping off. From the beginning to the end I had occasional burn issues, requiring several touch-ups.

The Triple-A is at the top of my list of 5 Vegas cigars, right between the Cask Strength and Miami. I will definitely be laying some of these aside for a nice long nap, as I think they’ll have great aging potential.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Great review! Thanks for it. I just moved this one up to my smoking humi this afternoon. I might light this one up next. I still haven't found a single 5-Vegas one I like besides the Cask. I'm hoping this one is good.

Rob
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobbo2009:
    Great review! Thanks for it. I just moved this one up to my smoking humi this afternoon. I might light this one up next. I still haven't found a single 5-Vegas one I like besides the Cask. I'm hoping this one is good.

Rob
    you dont like the classic?
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    Bobbo2009:

Rob
    you dont like the classic?

Not really. I have to check my notes because it has been a number of months since I had one but what I do remember is that I didn't like it at all. Something about the flavor I think. The one would have been the third 5 Vegas line cigar I tried (Gold and A were my first). I'll double check my notes and get back to you. Just something about it put it on my never again list.

Rob
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    dbeckom:
    5 Vegas Triple-A

5x56 Robusto
    Wrapper: PA Broadleaf Maduro
    Filler: Cuban Seed Ligeros from Condega, Jalapa, and Esteli
    Blended By: AJ Fernandez
    Full Body
    6 Weeks in Humidor @ 68% RH

The first thing I notice about the 5 Vegas Triple A is the big, bold double band that stands out against the dark, chocolate brown wrapper. This is a firmly packed stick with no soft spots and feels quite heavy in the hand. The dark, oily wrapper has minimal veins, tight invisible seams, and a perfect triple cap. It has a rich, dark tobacco aroma with just a hint of cocoa and earth.

A snip of my guillotine cutter reveals a perfect prelight draw, with just the right amount of resistance and a slightly sweet earthy flavor.

The flavors start out rich and bold, dominated by espresso and toasty tobacco with notes of cocoa and spice. Each puff of the thick smoke provides a hearty dose of oily black pepper on the retrohale, and a long semi-sweet finish of espresso with a lingering creaminess and spicy zing. The smoke has a very pleasant spicy and woody aroma. The full strength is evident and I'm feeling it toward the end of the first third.

The middle third flavors are complex with strong toasty, espresso flavors and some sweet and spicy notes. The retrohale alternates between a moderate pepper and a sweet spice. The finish remains long and smooth, with semi-sweet notes of espresso, spice, and a lingering creaminess. The strength seems to have mellowed somewhat from the first third.

The final third continues to bring toasty flavors with a more woody tone, more spice, and some savory, meaty notes. The retrohale has developed a more vegetal, peppery spice. The finish is now long and leathery, with some coffee and a heavier spice coating the tongue and palate. The smoke has developed a very distinct charred meat aroma.

In the beginning the ash is light to medium gray in color and loose, with some flaking. As time passed the ash becomes darker with more flaking, only holding to near an inch before dropping off. From the beginning to the end I had occasional burn issues, requiring several touch-ups.

The Triple-A is at the top of my list of 5 Vegas cigars, right between the Cask Strength and Miami. I will definitely be laying some of these aside for a nice long nap, as I think they’ll have great aging potential.
    Another great review. Couldn't agree with you more. Cask II and Miami also round out my top 3 from 5 Vegas. The Limitada 2011 is pretty good, too. Better than the 2010, but maybe not as good as the 2009... but the 2009 I had was over a year in the humi before I smoked it, the other years may be that good after that much rest as well...
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carlos Tora

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    Carlos Tora
  • Options
    Obsidian 

6.5x52 Belicoso 
    Wrapper: Brazilian Habano Ligero
    Binder: Criollo ’98
    Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
    Mfg: Pinar del Rio
    Strength: Full
    Gifted By BigT06 on 8-27-11

The first thing I noticed when picking up the Obsidian was the very large, black band covering the majority of the cigar body. Its a thick, bold looking band that hints of things to come. My thoughts quickly turn to the removal of the band, and fears of damaging the wrapper in the process. The glue used on the band is quite strong requiring some effort to lift the edge up, but once started the band came off without any damage to the wrapper leaf. 

The dark chocolate colored wrapper has an oily, velvety feel to the touch. There are two medium sized veins running from the head, down about half the length of the shaft. The seams are tight and barely visible, with a left hand twist, indicating a left handed torcedor. (I believe this was my first time seeing this!)

The Obsidian has a damp earthy, barnyard aroma with a hint of sweetness. A brisk sniff of the foot gives more of the earthy aroma with a touch of spice. A taste of the cap reveals a sweet and spicy tobacco flavor. The cap has an oily, velvety feel on the lips and tongue. 

This being a Belicoso, I used my double guillotine cutter to remove about 1/4", revealing a nice draw with just a hint of resistance. The prelight draw is slightly sweet and earthy. Toasting the foot releases a rich aroma of toasty bread and freshly roasted coffee. 

The smoke is thick and chewy from the first puff, very smooth and toasty, with no harshness at all. I'm getting a sweet, spicy bread and creamy hazelnut coffee throughout the first third, and a medium coffee finish, with a hint of bitter spice on the back of the tongue. There's almost no pepper on the retrohale, just a sweet, cinnamon toast flavor. The flavor profile makes me think of a full flavored cigar with a medium body, but the strength at this point is definitely full as I'm already feeling it in my head and belly. 

For the middle third, the flavors remain pretty much the same. Sweet hazelnut coffee, spice, and toasty bread abound, with a hint of pepper and toast on the retrohale. There's a touch of leather joining the sweet coffee on a longer finish. 

Toward the end of the middle third the flavors shift to a more leathery, spicy coffee, with some increase in the peppery spice on the retrohale. The sweetness has faded from the finish, leaving a pleasant bitter leather with a touch of coffee and a light spice note on the tongue. 

For the final third there's some charred meaty notes and savory spice joining the leather and coffee flavors, with a moderate black pepper and sweet spice on the retrohale. The finish is long and leathery with notes of bitter coffee and a touch of spice lingering on the tongue. Some sweetness returns, increasing toward the end. 

The ash is light gray and firm, with some minor flaking at the edges. As I expected, the oily Ligero wrapper had some burn issues requiring a few minor touchups, but nothing major. The smoke remained cool, never getting warm from the start to the nub. 

The Obsidian is without question a full bodied cigar, as I am feeling it in my head and stomach, but the smoke is surprisingly smooth for a full bodied cigar! Just to pick this cigar up and taste it at any point in the burn, I'd swear it was a solid medium strength at best.

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    Obsidian 

6.5x52 Belicoso 
    Wrapper: Brazilian Habano Ligero
    Binder: Criollo ’98
    Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican
    Mfg: Pinar del Rio
    Strength: Full
    Gifted By BigT06 on 8-27-11

The first thing I noticed when picking up the Obsidian was the very large, black band covering the majority of the cigar body. Its a thick, bold looking band that hints of things to come. My thoughts quickly turn to the removal of the band, and fears of damaging the wrapper in the process. The glue used on the band is quite strong requiring some effort to lift the edge up, but once started the band came off without any damage to the wrapper leaf. 

The dark chocolate colored wrapper has an oily, velvety feel to the touch. There are two medium sized veins running from the head, down about half the length of the shaft. The seams are tight and barely visible, with a left hand twist, indicating a left handed torcedor. (I believe this was my first time seeing this!)

The Obsidian has a damp earthy, barnyard aroma with a hint of sweetness. A brisk sniff of the foot gives more of the earthy aroma with a touch of spice. A taste of the cap reveals a sweet and spicy tobacco flavor. The cap has an oily, velvety feel on the lips and tongue. 

This being a Belicoso, I used my double guillotine cutter to remove about 1/4", revealing a nice draw with just a hint of resistance. The prelight draw is slightly sweet and earthy. Toasting the foot releases a rich aroma of toasty bread and freshly roasted coffee. 

The smoke is thick and chewy from the first puff, very smooth and toasty, with no harshness at all. I'm getting a sweet, spicy bread and creamy hazelnut coffee throughout the first third, and a medium coffee finish, with a hint of bitter spice on the back of the tongue. There's almost no pepper on the retrohale, just a sweet, cinnamon toast flavor. The flavor profile makes me think of a full flavored cigar with a medium body, but the strength at this point is definitely full as I'm already feeling it in my head and belly. 

For the middle third, the flavors remain pretty much the same. Sweet hazelnut coffee, spice, and toasty bread abound, with a hint of pepper and toast on the retrohale. There's a touch of leather joining the sweet coffee on a longer finish. 

Toward the end of the middle third the flavors shift to a more leathery, spicy coffee, with some increase in the peppery spice on the retrohale. The sweetness has faded from the finish, leaving a pleasant bitter leather with a touch of coffee and a light spice note on the tongue. 

For the final third there's some charred meaty notes and savory spice joining the leather and coffee flavors, with a moderate black pepper and sweet spice on the retrohale. The finish is long and leathery with notes of bitter coffee and a touch of spice lingering on the tongue. Some sweetness returns, increasing toward the end. 

The ash is light gray and firm, with some minor flaking at the edges. As I expected, the oily Ligero wrapper had some burn issues requiring a few minor touchups, but nothing major. The smoke remained cool, never getting warm from the start to the nub. 

The Obsidian is without question a full bodied cigar, as I am feeling it in my head and stomach, but the smoke is surprisingly smooth for a full bodied cigar! Just to pick this cigar up and taste it at any point in the burn, I'd swear it was a solid medium strength at best.

I have to say this is an incredible review on a cigar I have been very very interested in. I am in love with the dark and oily maduro wrappers, but generally find a lot of pepper in most of them and get turned off because of it. Very pleased to hear that there was little to none of that in this stick, it has now been permanently added to my soon to be acquired list. Very helpful, and expertly composed review! Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Great review, Dwayne.
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    I like to read a good, detailed review before I smoke a cigar so I can compare experiences. Great review and this one is on deck!

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have to try this thing, sounds like it would be something I'd love.
  • Options
    JonathanE:
    I like to read a good, detailed review before I smoke a cigar so I can compare experiences. Great review and this one is on deck!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Options
    Room 101 Connecticut 

Size: 615C- 7x48 Churchill
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut Shade from Davidoff
    Binder: Honduran Corojo
    Filler: Honduran and Dominican
    Mfg by: Camacho Cigars for Matt Booth
    Strength: Medium 
    Been in humidor @ 68% for 2 weeks
    Burn Time: 2:15 

The Room 101 website describes the new Room 101 Connecticut as "A complex and spicy medium-body blend that is sure to satisfy even the most seasoned palates. Matt Booth, founder of the Room 101 lifestyle brand, classifies this new addition as “Connecticut with a kick!" 

This stick is heavy in the hand and firm, with one soft spot about an inch from the foot. The silver and black band features a sinister looking mask of a "FU". (for more information check out Room 101 Imagery and Symbolysm)

The Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper used on the Room 101 Connecticut was acquired from the Davidoff family. This slick, light caramel colored wrapper has minimal veins and tight, invisible seams. While inspecting the foot, I notice an uneven bunching with all the darker tobaccos grouped on one side. I suspect this might cause some combustion issues, with a slower burn on one side. (I would be proven wrong as the burn remained fairly even throughout)

This stick has a strong aroma of honey with a light floral note. A brisk sniff of the foot provides an earthy aroma with distinct notes of honey and hay. 

A cut of the cap with my double guillotine reveals a perfect draw with just a touch of resistance. The prelight draw has a light earthy flavor with a hint of sweet honey and the cap has a light, sweet earth flavor, with a hint of something I cannot put my finger on. 

The initial flavors are toasted bread, some sweet cream, and coffee, with a light dry red pepper on the retrohale. It has a medium leathery finish with coffee, light spice, and a thick cream coating the palate. As the first third progresses, there's an increase in the pepper and spices on the palate as well as the retrohale, confirming Matt Booth's comment that it is a "Connecticut with a kick!"

The middle third starts off with flavors of toasted nuts, coffee and sweet spices. The retrohale continues to deliver a moderate peppery spice with a sweet, creamy nuttiness. There's a distinct spiciness now on a medium to long, creamy coffee finish. Occasionally I detect an unpleasant metallic flavor, but it dissipates fairly quickly. 

For the final third the smoke picks up a sweeter butter-cream that really compliments the toasted nuts, spice and coffee. The retrohale has a moderate pepper and spice, with a nutty character. I'm getting a light salty nut note with some spice flavors on a long, creamy coffee finish. 

The ash is compact and medium gray in color, holding firm past two inches and requiring some effort before releasing it's grip. There is some light to flaking at the edges. The burn line is crisp and clean, but it gets somewhat wavy at times, requiring some occasional intervention on my behalf. 

The strength started off mild, staying that way through the first third, then building through the middle and final thirds to a solid medium-full body at the finish. I could enjoy this cigar at any time of day, either with a strong coffee in the morning, or any choice of beverages throughout the afternoon and evening.  

Through the burn I kept picking up a unique note or nuance in the flavor profile that I couldn't put my finger on. It was a pleasant note that I've only experienced in one other cigar line...the original Room 101. I'll keep smoking em till I get it figured out.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    Through the burn I kept picking up a unique note or nuance in the flavor profile that I couldn't put my finger on. It was a pleasant note that I've only experienced in one other cigar line...the original Room 101. I'll keep smoking em till I get it figured out.

my wife and i agree that we tasted fresh fennel in there. that may be what you got.

this is a damn fine cigar. makes me wanna light one up.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Nice review DB I enjoy your reviews!!!. Just finished reading the Obsidian one as well. Thank You !
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    dbeckom:

my wife and i agree that we tasted fresh fennel in there. that may be what you got.

this is a damn fine cigar. makes me wanna light one up.
    Thanks Kuzi! You may just have it there. I will revisit it in a week or two for a follow up. I'm gonna grab a few more sizes when I hit the B&M this weekend.

• Options
    The Kid:
    Nice review DB I enjoy your reviews!!!. Just finished reading the Obsidian one as well. Thank You !
    I had high hopes for that Room 101 and the Obsidian, and both of them exceeded my expectations. IMO the Obsidian is the best thing that comes out of the PDR factory. I have another one on deck for this week, if it goes as well I'll be ordering a bunch to hide away for a while.

To quote the great Kuzi, the Room 101 Connecticut is a "damn fine cigar!" The one I smoked was held at 68% for just 2 weeks prior to smoking. I typically like my Connie's at 70-72%...IMO the flavors are much more pronounced at that higher RH. I'm excited to see what these are like with some rest.

• Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    dbeckom:
    The Kid:
    I had high hopes for that Room 101 and the Obsidian, and both of them exceeded my expectations. IMO the Obsidian is the best thing that comes out of the PDR factory. I have another one on deck for this week, if it goes as well I'll be ordering a bunch to hide away for a while.

To quote the great Kuzi, the Room 101 Connecticut is a "damn fine cigar!" The one I smoked was held at 68% for just 2 weeks prior to smoking. I typically like my Connie's at 70-72%...IMO the flavors are much more pronounced at that higher RH. I'm excited to see what these are like with some rest.

Up for A box split on the Obsidian? Give me A call.
  • Options
    La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor

5x50 Box Press Robusto
    Wrapper: Mexican Cuban Seed Maduro
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Burn Time: 1:35
    Beverage: Diet Pepsi

This stick has a nice weighty feel in the hand, with a firm springiness between the fingers. The dark cocoa colored wrapper has a dry, leathery feel on the lips. There's minimal veining and the seams are tight. The top piece of the triple cap isn't bonded completely, with several wrinkles on one side. It has a deep, earthy aroma, with the foot providing more of the same along with some hay and rich tobacco notes.

As always, I use my double guillotine cutter to remove a minimal amount of the cap, revealing a nice draw with just the right amount of resistance. The unbonded portion of the cap came off without issue. The prelight draw has a slightly sweet, earthy flavor. As I toast the foot, I pick up a nice mocha aroma.

The initial flavors are strong coffee, dry spice, and roasted nuts. The retrohale starts out quite peppery, but at about a half inch in the pepper gives way to a savory spice. A mix of roasted nuts and strong coffee, with a touch of minty spice coats the palate long after each puff.

The middle third continues with the strong coffee and roasted nuts, with the addition of a strong, charred meat flavor that carries long into the bitter coffee finish.

The final third brought no further changes in flavor.

This cigar maintained a nice, crisp burn line from head to foot, with very little waviness. The ash was dark gray and loose, becoming quite flaky at times.

I feel this cigar would've been more enjoyable had I paired it with a strong cup of coffee, or even a creamy iced coffee. I can't see myself buying a box, but I would smoke one again if given a chance.

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I have a few of these resting and have been wondering about them... thanks for the review Dwayne... sounds like a nice stick... I'll keep the coffee paring in mind for sure
  • Options
    Berger & Argenti Mooch Maduro

Size: 7x49 Windbag
    Origin: Nicaragua 
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Cuban Seed Maduro 
    Filler: Nicaraguan 
    Blend By: K Berger
    Strength: Medium
    Price: $4.50
    Smoke Time: 2:05

I picked up a couple of Mooch singles (one each of  Maduro and Connecticut) at the B&M 4 days prior to smoking. The B&M had just gotten them in the day before, so this one is ROTT. 

The presentation of the Mooch is quite unique with its simple "Berger & Argenti" band at the top and a newspaper clipping about the Cuban trade embargo wrapped around the foot. 

The dark cocoa colored wrapper has minimal veining and a dry leathery feel. The seams are visible with a few small gaps near the upper band and triple cap. The filler is well packed at the foot as well as the rest of the cigar, with a nice weight and firm feel. 

The wrapper has a mild aroma of sweet tobacco and earth, with a hint of cocoa. A brisk sniff of the foot provides more of the same, with a sweet grassy note. 

As I prepare for the smoke, I cut the cap with my trusty guillotine cutter, revealing a nice lite draw with a sweet, creamy flavor. The cap has a semi-sweet earthy flavor with a touch of spicy tobacco. 

As I toast the foot, the smoke has a rich aroma coffee and fresh baked bread. The initial flavors are oaky, sweet spice, and some creamy coffee, with a blast of vegetal red pepper on the retrohale. It has a fairly short creamy finish with some leather and oaky flavors. 

Now into the first third, the peppery blast faded into a sweet spicy pepper on the retrohale. Each draw envelopes the tongue and palate with a sweet, creamy coffee flavor, backed by notes of toasty nuts and sweet spice. The finish is long and creamy now, with a sweet coffee and roasted nut flavor. 

For the middle third, the flavors remain smooth and creamy with notes of coffee, nuts and sweet baking spices, with an increase in vegetal green peppers on the retrohale. The finish remains long and creamy, with a light spice joining the sweet coffee and roasted nuts. I'd venture to say the strength is nearing full at this point. 

The final third brings more of the same sweet, creamy coffee and nutty flavors with the addition of some paprika, and a baking spice I can't put my finger on. The retrohale has settled into a sweet spice with a light minty note. The finish remains long with a sweet creamy texture, and strong notes of espresso, roasted nuts, with a return of the oaky flavor. 

The medium gray ash is quite loose and flaky throughout the burn with some improvement in the final third. The burn line is fairly uneven, requiring several touch-ups in the first and middle thirds, with a noticeable improvement in the final third. 

Overall I'm thoroughly impressed with the Berger & Argenti Mooch Maduro. The flavor profile is smooth and creamy, with just enough complexity to keep my interest peaked from start to finish. This was my first Berger & Argenti cigar, and I'm now very interested in trying more of their lines.

• Options
    Me and Rudy were JUST talking about these... gonna have to pick a few up.
  • Options
    BigT06:
    Me and Rudy were JUST talking about these... gonna have to pick a few up.
    First off, sorry for dropping the ball here. The past month was quite hectic and stressful. I had a ton of crap going on and have found it hard to sit to enjoy a cigar...much less focus on a review. I plan to get this thing back going in the coming days/weeks!

I had the natural a couple days after the Mooch Maduro. It wasn't in the same ballpark as the Maduro. Since then, I've had the Mooch Maduro in the Robusto size and the flavors were very one-dimensional and lacked any sort of definition. I plan to revisit the Windbag (Churchill) vitola in the coming weeks.

• Options
    San Lotano Connecticut

6x52 Toro
    Wrapper: Ecuador Connecticut
    Binder: Honduras
    Filler: Nicaraguan, Dominican 
    Mfg By: AJ Fernandez 
    Origin: Esteli, Nicaragua
    Burn Time: 1:40

The first thing I notice as I remove the cellophane on the San Lotano Connecticut is a sweet, creamy, honey and nut aroma, with a mild, sweet tobacco and honey with some light spice at the foot. 

The slick, golden shade grown wrapper has minimal veins, tight nearly invisible seams, and a perfectly applied triple cap. It is well packed with a nice weight and a firm springiness from head to foot. 

As always when reviewing a cigar, I use my double guillotine cutter to remove just the thinnest sliver of the cap, revealing a light draw with just a hint of resistance. The cold draw has a light, sweet tobacco flavor. A taste of the cap leaves a sweet, spicy tobacco flavor on my lips and tongue. 

As I toast the foot, the smoke has a sweet, woody aroma with a hint of fresh roasted coffee. The initial puffs have a woody flavor, with some moderate dry spice and pepper notes that carry through the retrohale and linger long into a dry, woody finish.

Progressing into the first third, I begin to pick up a light, sweet cream over a cedary base, with some dry spice and nutty flavors evident through the retrohale. The smoke has a medium, creamy finish with a distinct nuttiness, some sweetness, and light spice. I'd say the strength is nearing medium at the end of the first third.

The middle third flavors are dominated by roasted nuts, with some sweet cream,  spice and cedar, while the retrohale continues to provide some dry spice and nutty flavors. The finish remains medium length, with a creamy cedar base, some roasted nuts and a lingering spice. The strength seems to have decreased somewhat to a more mild-medium range. 

The final third brings some coffee notes to a base of roasted nuts, with some cedar and a light spice evident on the retrohale. The finish is now long and creamy, having a bold roasted nut flavor, with notes of cedar and peppery spice lingering long after each puff. The strength has picked back up a bit, building to a solid medium at the end. 

The San Lotano Connecticut is surprisingly full flavored for a mild to medium bodied cigar. It burns flawlessly with an excellent draw from start to finish. The ash is compact and firm, holding well past two inches before falling in a solid chunk. 

• Options
    rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Great review..I just smoked one this past Monday night and really enjoyed it.
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Very nice review there beck.. I'm going to have to pick one up and try it for myself as it sounds like a cigar that would fit my taste. Being it is a fairly new release, (Maybe a year or so ?) did that one have a lot of age on it.
  • Options
    The SL connie you sent me was amazing! I will def be looking to pick some more up soon!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    best of the san lotano line if you ask me.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    how do the san lotano connecticut compare to the ep carrillo new wave, ive tried the new wave i enjoyed it, and i really want to try the San lotano connecticut