Home General Discussion
Options

August CotM

MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
Could anyone that is a member of the Ccom CotM please PM me this months contents? Mine was sidetracked by USPS and I have to wait another three days to find out. I don't think my heart will hold out that long. Marker.

Comments

• Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Dont feel to bad, mine probably wont be here for another 3 weeks.
  • Options
    mfotis:
    Dont feel to bad, mine probably wont be here for another 3 weeks.
    Not very comforting :)
  • Options
    lol, im a little farther away.
  • Options
    And I appreciate why you are a little farther away. Come home safe and enjoy some cigars stateside.
  • Options
    Bump. Really, no one knows?
  • Options
    Marker:
    And I appreciate why you are a little farther away. Come home safe and enjoy some cigars stateside.
    Thanks, I'm not with the MIL so I have it a littler easier than them.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I was charged a few days ago, but haven't seen a shipping notification, or a package, and it's now the third. I'm not sure what's going on. Usually they're a bit more timely.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seemed to go out later than usual, I'm hoping that means it was delayed for something special, but I'm still waiting as well.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    I got mine a few days ago.

1 Gurkha Beast
    1 Gurkha Centurion
    1 Gurkha Symphony
    1 Gurkha Maduro 101
    1 Gurkha Crest
    1 San Miguel torp

I have to say I was a little disappointed. This is the second month in a row I feel Ccom has attempted to make up for what they know is a lackluster package by throwing in an extra. Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative, and it's probably the only reason I'm sticking with the club.

But I'd rather they just do as advertised and provide 1 undeniably super-premium cigar, 2 cigars that just a small step down, and 2 everyday cigars. When the Gurkha Crest is billed as the "super-premium" for the month, there is a problem.

Last month's Cusano package was the same sort of deal. They are certainly solid smokes, but the Cusano 15th anniversay doesn't fit my definition of super-premium. If not for the cutter (which kicks ass) and the extra Cohiba they threw in, July would have been a total flop.

I'm sticking with it for now, but the whole reason I joined the club (and I'm in the double club) was because I knew I'd get at least 2 super premium sticks each month I wouldn't normally go out and buy, plus some other stuff I've never tried.

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    ndhaon91:
    I got mine a few days ago. 1 Gurkha Beast 1 Gurkha Centurion 1 Gurkha Symphony 1 Gurkha Maduro 101 1 Gurkha Crest 1 San Miguel torp I have to say I was a little disappointed. This is the second month in a row I feel Ccom has attempted to make up for what they know is a lackluster package by throwing in an extra. Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative, and it's probably the only reason I'm sticking with the club. But I'd rather they just do as advertised and provide 1 undeniably super-premium cigar, 2 cigars that just a small step down, and 2 everyday cigars. When the Gurkha Crest is billed as the "super-premium" for the month, there is a problem. Last month's Cusano package was the same sort of deal. They are certainly solid smokes, but the Cusano 15th anniversay doesn't fit my definition of super-premium. If not for the cutter (which kicks ass) and the extra Cohiba they threw in, July would have been a total flop. I'm sticking with it for now, but the whole reason I joined the club (and I'm in the double club) was because I knew I'd get at least 2 super premium sticks each month I wouldn't normally go out and buy, plus some other stuff I've never tried.
    This is the typical reason why I avoid COTM clubs. Just seems after the first month where they send u a ton of nice cigars that the following cigars really don't live up to the billing. I def agree if the Gurkha Crest is being billed as a super premium, I'd probably be thinking about canceling.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Krieg:
    ndhaon91:
    I got mine a few days ago. 1 Gurkha Beast 1 Gurkha Centurion 1 Gurkha Symphony 1 Gurkha Maduro 101 1 Gurkha Crest 1 San Miguel torp I have to say I was a little disappointed. This is the second month in a row I feel Ccom has attempted to make up for what they know is a lackluster package by throwing in an extra. Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative, and it's probably the only reason I'm sticking with the club. But I'd rather they just do as advertised and provide 1 undeniably super-premium cigar, 2 cigars that just a small step down, and 2 everyday cigars. When the Gurkha Crest is billed as the "super-premium" for the month, there is a problem. Last month's Cusano package was the same sort of deal. They are certainly solid smokes, but the Cusano 15th anniversay doesn't fit my definition of super-premium. If not for the cutter (which kicks ass) and the extra Cohiba they threw in, July would have been a total flop. I'm sticking with it for now, but the whole reason I joined the club (and I'm in the double club) was because I knew I'd get at least 2 super premium sticks each month I wouldn't normally go out and buy, plus some other stuff I've never tried.
    This is the typical reason why I avoid COTM clubs. Just seems after the first month where they send u a ton of nice cigars that the following cigars really don't live up to the billing. I def agree if the Gurkha Crest is being billed as a super premium, I'd probably be thinking about canceling.
    This is the reason I cancelled. I just couldn't justify it when the premium sticks they were sending could be had at $3ea. I enjoyed the %10 off but that didn't make up for it. I love everything about Ccom except this. And I know it's probably not ment for the hardcore guys like us but for the occasional guy who keeps them in his desk drawer and doesnt think anything about it.
  • Options
    t_evan50:
    Krieg:
    ndhaon91:
    This is the reason I cancelled. I just couldn't justify it when the premium sticks they were sending could be had at $3ea. I enjoyed the %10 off but that didn't make up for it. I love everything about Ccom except this. And I know it's probably not ment for the hardcore guys like us but for the occasional guy who keeps them in his desk drawer and doesnt think anything about it.
    This is kinda where I'm at with it mindset wise. Mine's up in December and I don't see myself renewing at this point. I've had it for almost 3 years I think. I wish they had an "of the month" program for the more hardcore people because the 10% is nice.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Russ55:
    t_evan50:
    Krieg:
    ndhaon91:
    This is kinda where I'm at with it mindset wise. Mine's up in December and I don't see myself renewing at this point. I've had it for almost 3 years I think. I wish they had an "of the month" program for the more hardcore people because the 10% is nice.
    10% and free shipping. It almost works out. And I also like trying stuff I wouldn't buy. Haven't got mine yet, but Gurkha? Already disappointed.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have been dissapointed too but just because we don't like them doesn't mean they are bad. Remember, before the guerilla warfare the Crest had an msrp of 30ish. The beast was around 20. So if you go by msrp the package is worth it.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    But if you go by the MSRP you also are a fool....at least if youre buying at that price.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    But if you go by the MSRP you also are a fool....at least if youre buying at that price.
    especially ghurkhas
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Vulchor:
    Well, thanks for calling me and I'm sure a lot of other people fools! When I was paying MSRP, I was just getting into cigars and Gurlha deals weren't at common as they are now.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Guys, don't forget about our 100% satisfaction guarantee. That is not just limited to your regular purchases but also anything we send you including the club. If you are not happy, let us know what we can do to make it right. That said, based on this post, I went back and took a look at the September selection and revamped some things. It will be a lot of the stuff I can assure you have seen and thought about trying but have not pulled the trigger on. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and please don't be shy about telling us when you are unsatisfied. Doing it here is fine, but please follow through and let us know directly too so we can help make it right. It is hard to have a 100% guarantee when it comes down to getting a selection you don't choose, but we stand behind our 100% guarantee no matter what the reason.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Alex Svenson:
    Guys, don't forget about our 100% satisfaction guarantee. That is not just limited to your regular purchases but also anything we send you including the club. If you are not happy, let us know what we can do to make it right. That said, based on this post, I went back and took a look at the September selection and revamped some things. It will be a lot of the stuff I can assure you have seen and thought about trying but have not pulled the trigger on. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and please don't be shy about telling us when you are unsatisfied. Doing it here is fine, but please follow through and let us know directly too so we can help make it right. It is hard to have a 100% guarantee when it comes down to getting a selection you don't choose, but we stand behind our 100% guarantee no matter what the reason.
    Dang this place is awesome.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    t_evan50:
    Alex Svenson:
    Dang this place is awesome.
    +1!!!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    Alex Svenson:

This is exactly why I continue to patronize this website, thanks Alex....im looking forward to my September COTM! -
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Seems like I've been thinking about joining the COTM club since the beginning of time (or since last year more accurately). The problem is, I keep filling up all available storage faster than I can smoke.
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Alex Svenson:

Thank, Alex. For the record, this level of service is why I stopped purchasing from other sites and go only through you guys now, and it's why I'll stick with the COTM club for awhile.

Just to provide some further insight...

As someone else said, it's not that the Gurkha's sent out for August are aren't a good deal on those particular cigars, it's just that there's nothing "special" about the selection. There's a virtually identical selection offered as a sampler on the back of this months CCOM magazine. Given what sort of great samplers you guys put at all the time at around $4 per stick, I want to feel like the $5 per stick I'm paying for the club gets me a totally unique sampler that non-club members can't get. I think there are at least two other samplers available this month that are more bang-for-the-buck than the club offering.

The other factor, whether fair or not, is that we are going to compare the club selection for the month to the email deals that are sent out. If I only have $100 per month to spend on cigars, I want to know I spent it in the best possible fashion. This months club sampler arrived on the heels of Tim's insane email deal on San Lotano and MoW PA, both of which I've been dying to try. I don't like feeling like my $54 would have been better spent elsewhere.

Like I said in my original post, I'm not opposed to you guys throwing a 5 Vegas Classic or other budget stick into the mix, as long as it's balanced by a LP#9 or Ashton VSG, or something else of that caliber.

Thanks for the chance to provide feedback. I certainly understand that it's impossible for you guys to please 100% of the club members 100% of the time, but I think it's great that it doesn't stop you from trying.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    ndhaon91:
    Alex Svenson:
    Thank, Alex. For the record, this level of service is why I stopped purchasing from other sites and go only through you guys now, and it's why I'll stick with the COTM club for awhile. Just to provide some further insight... As someone else said, it's not that the Gurkha's sent out for August are aren't a good deal on those particular cigars, it's just that there's nothing "special" about the selection. There's a virtually identical selection offered as a sampler on the back of this months CCOM magazine. Given what sort of great samplers you guys put at all the time at around $4 per stick, I want to feel like the $5 per stick I'm paying for the club gets me a totally unique sampler that non-club members can't get. I think there are at least two other samplers available this month that are more bang-for-the-buck than the club offering. The other factor, whether fair or not, is that we are going to compare the club selection for the month to the email deals that are sent out. If I only have $100 per month to spend on cigars, I want to know I spent it in the best possible fashion. This months club sampler arrived on the heels of Tim's insane email deal on San Lotano and MoW PA, both of which I've been dying to try. I don't like feeling like my $54 would have been better spent elsewhere. Like I said in my original post, I'm not opposed to you guys throwing a 5 Vegas Classic or other budget stick into the mix, as long as it's balanced by a LP#9 or Ashton VSG, or something else of that caliber. Thanks for the chance to provide feedback. I certainly understand that it's impossible for you guys to please 100% of the club members 100% of the time, but I think it's great that it doesn't stop you from trying.
    I get what you're saying even though I'm not a member of the COTMC. Basically if you're pay to be a member of the club then you ought to made to feel special in the cigars u get. Which is understandable imo. Some other idea might be access to new releases offered before the gen public....just thinking out loud here.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
    Alex Svenson:
    I went back and took a look at the September selection and revamped some things. It will be a lot of the stuff I can assure you have seen and thought about trying but have not pulled the trigger on.

Now I'm intrigued.  I will keep my membership for another month.
  • Options
    kevin1323kevin1323 Posts: 294
    JudoChinX:
    Seems like I've been thinking about joining the COTM club since the beginning of time (or since last year more accurately). The problem is, I keep filling up all available storage faster than I can smoke.

This is my problem to a T
  • Options
    Alex Svenson:
    That's awesome, thank you for that.

One of the problems with the CoTM is that Ccom looks at the msrp of the selection when placing a value on it, while we, look at the actual cost to us. We get the selection sometimes and say, "wow, I could have bought this for way cheaper on my own". Now to be honest, usually we'd have to buy in some quantity to get that cheaper price, but it's still irksome. It's more frequent when the selection is a sampler that already exists. I'd really prefer not to see those in the cotm ever again, but that may not be realistic, and in the past you guys have made it up by including extra sticks, and freebies which is really great.

The times that I've loved the selection are when it feels like there was thought put into it. I think last summer there was a "what we're smoking" selection. That was really cool. I found a bunch of sticks that I really liked, and still smoke today out of that one. There's been others since then that were like that, I just don't recall them at the moment.

I also would like to see a real super premium in there every month, if possible. I'm guessing that there's a lot of hoops to go through to get a stick into the CoTM, and it's not just a simple matter of making the costs work, and then saying "Hey, let's throw a Millennium in there this month". But if it's possible then that's the other change I'd like to see.

I've had the CoTM for a couple years now, and its these issues that make me continually flip flop on whether or not to renew.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Grazuh:
    Alex Svenson:
    I went back and took a look at the September selection and revamped some things. It will be a lot of the stuff I can assure you have seen and thought about trying but have not pulled the trigger on.

Now I'm intrigued.  I will keep my membership for another month.
    I'm gonna give it one more month to see what September is. I'm really leaning towards the side of cancelling though. It's $30 a month that I could use in my cigar budget to buy boxes of what I really want. We'll see though....
  • Options
    adrosadros Posts: 216
    I kinda figured that they would feature in the cotmc what they feature in their mag, such as obsidian, or whatever brand they are highlighting. Im not terribly dissatisfied with it, but I agree that I thought some higher end stuff would be coming in it.
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Alex Svenson:

Outstanding as always Alex.