Home Non Cigar Related

Whiskey conversation continuation

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now, where were we? Oh, yeah, I think Mr. Beckom had just said he really liked Maker's 46. I've tried the original Maker's and it's good.. Just a little mild. Someone else mentioned Booker's but thought it was pretty strong. I agree that the proof is strong - 127 proof - but the flavor is wonderful and the burn is almost non-existent. I've got just enough left for a snifter or two but at the going price I probably won't be buying Amy more for a while.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    12 yr old Tullamore Dew - Single Malt Irish Whiskey. umm.
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    personally my favorite whiskey would be Redbreast 12yr. followed by Glenrothes single malt 12yr...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iv never been a big fan of single malt prefer blended scotch. And I very seldom stray from my favorite, Dimple Pinch 15 yr old.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Laphroiag Quarter Cask is number one right now followed closely by Lagavulin 16yr. I am in to the smokey peat filled flavors right now. I'm a single malt drinker almost exclusively.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    dennisking:
    Laphroiag Quarter Cask is number one right now followed closely by Lagavulin 16yr. I am in to the smokey peat filled flavors right now. I'm a single malt drinker almost exclusively.
    I say this to everyone who likes peaty flavours try talisker 10 year and Ardmore (I think 12) $35-45 each. Both are great daily drinkers for half the price of the "nicer" stuff (at least here in S GA).
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Iv never been a big fan of single malt prefer blended scotch. And I very seldom stray from my favorite, Dimple Pinch 15 yr old.
    Interesting. I tend to the single-malts, but you can't go wrong with Pinch, great drink. Come to think of it, I haven't had that in a long time. I usually buy Scotch a couple times a year, usually Glenfiddich or Glenlivet, nice but affordable. Had a bottle of Dalmore some time back that I like a lot, but can't remember if it was blended or single-malt?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Rhamlin:
    Usquaebach, the best blended scotch ever!!!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Mention the word 'whiskey' and scotch drinkers all think scotch is the only whiskey and bourbon drinkers all think it was bourbon being referred to. Not finding fault here, guys. Just making an observation. Carry on, chaps....
    Moving right along... I have to report that the whiskey glasses I recently bought along with a set of whiskey stones are working wonderfully well. They've opened up a whole new segment of taste and appreciation of even lesser expensive bourbons. Drinking a glass or two of bourbon is now like drinking a more expensive liqueur. Can't wait to see what happens with more expensive bourbons, etc.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Interesting. Mention the word 'whiskey' and scotch drinkers all think scotch is the only whiskey and bourbon drinkers all think it was bourbon being referred to. Not finding fault here, guys. Just making an observation. Carry on, chaps....
    Hadn't noticed, but you're right. Being from Tennessee, people would automatically refer to Jack Daniels (to introduce sour mash to the conversation) when I was drinking with them. "Jack Daniels is what we sell to outsiders, at home we drink George Dickel", would be my reply. To which most would respond with "What? Never heard of it." Tennesse sippin' whisky. I think it's more widely known now than it was then. No disrepect to JD intended, just my preference.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    rossdavey2:
    dennisking:
    I say this to everyone who likes peaty flavours try talisker 10 year and Ardmore (I think 12) $35-45 each. Both are great daily drinkers for half the price of the "nicer" stuff (at least here in S GA).
    I love Talisker. Love it. Love it Love it. Also try Longrow CV. not too spendy. it's a blend of all the same scotches but different ages. it's a 10, 12, and 16 blended. delectable.
    jlmarta:
    to be honest, Whisky is an English word deriving from usky, an abbreviation of usquebaugh: the Gaelic word for "water of life", referring to a lot of distilled spirits used for "medicinal" purposes in ancient times. this means that Whisky is from the UK
    there is a difference though. Scottish and Irish Malts are "Whisky" while American and Canadian made spirits are "Whiskey" with an "E". always found that interesting.

to me, it makes no matter. I enjoy one type and someone, another. it's all great tasting to me. It's not like this is a Vodka or Rum thread. with that said. I enjoy me some Woodford Reserve quite a bit. I also love me some Tullamore Dew. I'm all over the whisky/whiskey map.
    enjoying a dram of Lagavulin 16yr tonight. smokey peaty awesomeness
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Some great info
    Gee, Kid, you went back quite a ways to revive this thread. It's interesting.

I don't yet know enough about bourbon so I'm not really burning with desire to learn a lot about scotch at this time. I hope to do that later. But I admit, Ol' Ralfy is an interesting dude. He seems knowledgeable and I love trying to decipher his accent. Thanks for posting this.... ??
    Question for you whiskey guys.. I was presented with two offers today, each offer was a trade for 1 bottle of the orvw. 1st offer was a bottle of the 2014 four roses singl brl le oesf. 2nd offer was a bottle of the Bookers 25th anniv. Im really leaning towards the bookers since Ive always been a Beam guy. What do you guys think. I haven't tried either of these so Im kinda going in blind, but reviews on both are really good. I do like the fact that both of these are putting out the heat
    The Kid:
    Question for you whiskey guys.. I was presented with two offers today, each offer was a trade for 1 bottle of the orvw. 1st offer was a bottle of the 2014 four roses singl brl le oesf. 2nd offer was a bottle of the Bookers 25th anniv. Im really leaning towards the bookers since Ive always been a Beam guy. What do you guys think. I haven't tried either of these so Im kinda going in blind, but reviews on both are really good. I do like the fact that both of these are putting out the heat

Not a doubt in my mind. I'd take the Booker's in a heartbeat. You're welcome.... ??
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    The Kid:

Not a doubt in my mind. I'd take the Booker's in a heartbeat. You're welcome.... ??
    I haven't tried either of them but I've hit a bottle of Booker's myself an absolutely love it, if I could find AND afford the Booker's 25th I would do it in a heartbeat and that's the one I would recommend beother. Go Booker's 25th for sure.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    jlmarta:
    The Kid:

I haven't tried either of them but I've hit a bottle of Booker's myself an absolutely love it, if I could find AND afford the Booker's 25th I would do it in a heartbeat and that's the one I would recommend beother. Go Booker's 25th for sure.
    Booker's is the bourbon bottled at cask strength, right? Like 120 to 130 proof. I'd love to give that a try! I'm sure the 25th is great.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    jlmarta:
    The Kid:

Booker's is the bourbon bottled at cask strength, right? Like 120 to 130 proof. I'd love to give that a try! I'm sure the 25th is great.
    Yeah single barrel cask strength, so each release kinda like George T. Stagg and Stagg Jr. are slightly different, my bottle is 129.7 proof. And it's over half gone :( I share way too d@mn much lol
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    I'm going against the consensus so far on this one. You really can't go wrong with either but I have a bottle of the four roses and it's absolutely fantastic so that would be my recommendation. I have had a taste of the Bookers 25 and would jump at the opportunity to get it also so I'm not much help LOL. I know you got 3 bottles of the ORVW, any way you can trade for both bottles? Then you'd have 3 great different bottles
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    I'm going against the consensus so far on this one. You really can't go wrong with either but I have a bottle of the four roses and it's absolutely fantastic so that would be my recommendation. I have had a taste of the Bookers 25 and would jump at the opportunity to get it also so I'm not much help LOL. I know you got 3 bottles of the ORVW, any way you can trade for both bottles? Then you'd have 3 great different bottles
    Fair point personally I wouldn't trade the ORVW for either of those bottles solo, both boys tales though I would do. But maybe that's just because I haev t had the ORVW and it is much harder to find than the other two, but that's just me.
    i have a question for those more knowledgeable with weller and buffalo trace. I have two bottles of the weller reserve, one says distilled by bt, the other says distilled by sw, this may sound like a stupid question, but is there a noticeable difference between the two, or are the contents equal
    The Kid:
    i have a question for those more knowledgeable with weller and buffalo trace. I have two bottles of the weller reserve, one says distilled by bt, the other says distilled by sw, this may sound like a stupid question, but is there a noticeable difference between the two, or are the contents equal
    Yes there will be a noticeable difference. The stitzel-Weller one should be a little smoother with less bite and richer. Do you have pictures of each? Also curious what year is on the SW?
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    Yes there will be a noticeable difference. The stitzel-Weller one should be a little smoother with less bite and richer. Do you have pictures of each? Also curious what year is on the SW?
    If you could only find those anymore :(
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    No Kidding!!!
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    No Kidding!!!
    You've got to join the Liquid Pass when we do Round 2, you and I get along far too well lol.
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    No Kidding!!!
    You've got to join the Liquid Pass when we do Round 2, you and I get along far too well lol.
    Yeah I didn't see it until it was full. Definitely would get in it next time.
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    No Kidding!!!
    If you want I will happily send you a few samples of anything that caught your eye in my stuff.
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    The Kid:
    No Kidding!!!
    If you want I will happily send you a few samples of anything that caught your eye in my stuff.
    Shoot me a PM. For some reason your profile must be top secret. if I click on your name I get "the system cannot find the file specified."