Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Choice

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Hey man it happens to the best of them, its not unsmokeable its not even driving me all that crazy bc the flavor is still decent. Its just a little nusance being careful not to split it more.
  • Options
    I just hacked some more off the head(it was a torpedo) and the draw has improved but she is continuing to split. The taste has stayed pretty consistent, I lke it.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Damn shame, is what that is.
  • Options
    After i cut off that little more and got past the big crack she was EXCELLENT!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I really like the Miami myself, glad you enjoyed it. Hell, if you'd had a bad cigar, it might have been enough to send you up a clock tower with a rifle. ;)

If the Miami rubbed you the right way, I'd recommend looking into the Padilla 1948. I think it is equally excellent and the flavor profile is, IMO, better too.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    You used to smoke pencil shavings, too, eh? Man, I could go for a pack of #2 HB's right about now.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    madurofan:
    Well there we go. I'm not sure Van, it was a bomb. How do I tell?
    does it look like this? http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=442

If it has more of a dark black and red label it is the old version made by Pepin.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I really like the Miami myself, glad you enjoyed it. Hell, if you'd had a bad cigar, it might have been enough to send you up a clock tower with a rifle. ;)

If the Miami rubbed you the right way, I'd recommend looking into the Padilla 1948. I think it is equally excellent and the flavor profile is, IMO, better too.
    Wait a minute. Weren't you the one telling me just a week or so ago that the Miami is the Padilla to have?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    j0z3r:

Wait a minute. Weren't you the one telling me just a week or so ago that the Miami is the Padilla to have?
    Well...I can't choose just one...it's not fair. I think both are great, I like different things about each. Any Padilla is the Padilla to have if you ask me.
  • Options
    Remind me not to ask you.
  • Options
    vankleekkw:
    madurofan:
    Well there we go. I'm not sure Van, it was a bomb. How do I tell?
    does it look like this? http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=442

If it has more of a dark black and red label it is the old version made by Pepin.
    Yea it looks nothing like that one. Its black and red and much more simple than that one. I guess its the old one :). Well, was.
  • Options
    Well its round two, I'm stuck in the hotel all day again today its even worse this morning than it was yesterday. Sonuvabitch. Oh well. First vote out of these two cigars is my post breakfast smoke.

Gurkha Turk
    Drew Estate La Vieja Habana

I'll see you when I get back from breakfast.
  • Options
    I've had neither, but based on what I've read about the Gurkha Turk, it would really only be interesting/worthwhile as a breakfast cigar.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Gurkha Turk
  • Options
    Turk it is.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Sorry to hear about the crappy situation, I'm yet to try the turk, but I wasn't impressed with the La Vieja Habana, maybe it being a mixed filler, I don't know. Either way, you're smoking after breakfast...things could be worse.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    Either way, you're smoking after breakfast...things could be worse.
    That is for sure. The only issue is thats its actually getting a little scary here. Most businesses are closed(including restaraunts and stores) the hotel has power but no phones, tv or internet. I had to try connecting about 50 times before my verizon laptop card would get online. I can't dial out on my cell phone but I seem to be able to send texts but I have to try 10 or more times before it'll send.

You guys are my only entertainment for today, the cell phone internet isn't fast enough to watch video without pissing you off so.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    That is for sure. The only issue is thats its actually getting a little scary here. Most businesses are closed(including restaraunts and stores) the hotel has power but no phones, tv or internet. I had to try connecting about 50 times before my verizon laptop card would get online. I can't dial out on my cell phone but I seem to be able to send texts but I have to try 10 or more times before it'll send.

You guys are my only entertainment for today, the cell phone internet isn't fast enough to watch video without pissing you off so.
    We are your only entertainment? Oh man, it is a sad day. I'm hear at the army base and we should have had at least a delayd opening but didn't. The roads are bad here and around town. Lots of packed loose snow. Even my truck with 4 wheel drive and snow tires was slipping and sliding.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:

We are your only entertainment? Oh man, it is a sad day. I'm hear at the army base and we should have had at least a delayd opening but didn't. The roads are bad here and around town. Lots of packed loose snow. Even my truck with 4 wheel drive and snow tires was slipping and sliding.
    Tis sad indeed. The snow and ice on the roads are just part of the issue here, the down power and phone lines are the bigger issue. Good luck to you on your drive home though.

On a positive note this Turk is my new fave gurkha. medium body but with nice hints of leather, tea leaves, and just enough spice to balance it all out. Very creamy smoke.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Yeah I've gone thru a half dozen or so of the Turks and I like them. They make a good morning or mid day smoke.
    Like you said Maddy a nice balance of flavors and a creamy finish as well.
  • Options
    Wow, Maddy, that's quite an endorsement... you saying that the Turk is your favorite Gurkha is like Osama Bin Laden saying Benedict XV was his favorite pope.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Wow, Maddy, that's quite an endorsement... you saying that the Turk is your favorite Gurkha is like Osama Bin Laden saying Benedict XV was his favorite pope.
    LOL not quite that bad. I'm deiscovering more and more that its not so much that I don't like gurkha's as it is I dont like big ring gauge cigars. The Titan for example, and most of the other Gurkha's I've had have been large ring gauge. The couple of perfectos I've had I thought were fairly decent and this turk reminds me a of 5 Vegas Gold if it had a touch more body and a little more spice. I still think most Gurkha's are ridicuosly over priced especially considering their lack of complexity.
  • Options
    This shithole town has now progressed to the point where no restaraunts are open and they are out of gas. I'm stuck here, in a hotel, eating a hungry man dinner bc thats the only food they have here.
  • Options
    Your break comes tomorrow. Smoke the CAO this afternoon, then celebrate your impending departure this evening with the Virtuoso.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Your break comes tomorrow. Smoke the CAO this afternoon, then celebrate your impending departure this evening with the Virtuoso.
    I don't know man from what I was just told this place may not have gas for another day or so. There are 50,000 people in the county alone without power, I am thankful my hotel at least has that.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    I don't know man from what I was just told this place may not have gas for another day or so. There are 50,000 people in the county alone without power, I am thankful my hotel at least has that.
    I'm thinking I might just smoke the pipe this afternoon. My issue is I am out of gas in my pipe lighter and almost out in my torch. I haven't tried lighting a pipe with a match yet.
  • Options
    As with a cigar, just make sure you let the sulfur burn off, first.

I'm at home today, too, courtesy of the ice. We didn't get it nearly as bad as Paducah did. Just enough to make the roads slick.
  • Options
    Of course.

THe roads aren't even bad here its all the power outages and the fact there are no phones, etc.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

madurofan:

Same thing my best friend in high school used to say about his girlfriend !!!

• Options
    gmill880:

madurofan:

Same thing my best friend in high school used to say about his girlfriend !!!

AHAHAHAHA

Duty, I took your advice. I fired up the CAO Criollo and I'm celebrating tonight with the Virtuoso. I've got 10 gallons of gas be delivered to me and I'm out of here in the morning!