Home General Discussion
Options

Home Coming Dances

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody besides me have kids going to their home coming dance? I didn't realize this was a big deal since I never participated in any high school activities. Nor did I know how much it was going to cost. 200$ for a dress, 200$ for shoes and accessories, and 200$ for a photographer. Hope some of my daughters friends parents show up so we can split that cost. No wonder everytime I go to use my card to buy smokes theirs no money in it.

Comments

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Dude, I feel for you. Wait till prom.........
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Or a wedding
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Home coming wasn't a big deal when I was in school. Prom was but that's about all I remember.
  • Options
    skweekz:
    Or a wedding
    OMG, are you trying to kill me, That's all I hear from my wife and my daughters boyfriends mom?
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    skweekz:
    Or a wedding
    OMG, are you trying to kill me, That's all I hear from my wife and my daughters boyfriends mom?
    My wife and I just did ours.... when we went to plan a large family wedding, even on a severe budget we were looking at 15K MINIMUM!!! Course, the Front Range is very pricey! We ended up eloping instead and for everything including food, gars, gifts, ceremony and everything it was right at just 2K so it was much more reasonable and seems for us like a much better idea in the long run.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just found out from the wife that the boy needs $70 for dinner. Tickets, suit, shoes, tie, belt, photos, rides, dinner. When I went to school dances the entire thing cost about $50 and I am not that old. I sure would like to take my wife out for a $70 dinner.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting married in may, and just a small wedding with about 50 people is going to run several thousand EASY. Just booking a small church on our college campus is $500. It's crazy how things add up. I'm very glad that my fiancee' is pretty easy-going with it all and doesn't want it to be too elaborate.

I've got 2 Padron 1964's waiting for that day!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I'm getting married in may, and just a small wedding with about 50 people is going to run several thousand EASY. Just booking a small church on our college campus is $500. It's crazy how things add up. I'm very glad that my fiancee' is pretty easy-going with it all and doesn't want it to be too elaborate.

I've got 2 Padron 1964's waiting for that day!
    CONGRATS MAN!!!! Great stick choice for sure, and yeah it does add up really fast, but the most important thing to remember is it is ALL about you and your wife, and anyone who tries to make it about themselves can just go suck an egg. It's yours and your fiance's day so don't take any BS man.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, thanks man!

Great advice. I agree, it is most definitely all about us and the commitment we're making; that's the most important part, hands down, no questions. I'm very excited and can't wait!

The Padron's will be a nice touch! I've heard good things and love the regular brown-label line
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    It's easy for the romance and importance to get lost with all the shenanigans going on, but just take a deep breath, take a minute for yourself and gather your wits. Like I said, I just finished going through this less than two months ago, so PM me if you wanna chat man. Sorry for the hijack men... out!
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for filling me in on what I have ahead of me (didn't need that right now)....my daughter is 8...so I'm gonna go ahead and find a second job....she prissy so I know so I know she's not going to be easy to please...
  • Options
    Hahahaaha better take out a second mortgage now and invest stock in Vasoline... it will help ease the raping that the Credit companies are going to dish out to you!
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    Thanks guys for filling me in on what I have ahead of me (didn't need that right now)....my daughter is 8...so I'm gonna go ahead and find a second job....she prissy so I know so I know she's not going to be easy to please...
    Seems like just yesterday my daughter was only 8, miss those days.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Anybody besides me have kids going to their home coming dance? I didn't realize this was a big deal since I never participated in any high school activities. Nor did I know how much it was going to cost. 200$ for a dress, 200$ for shoes and accessories, and 200$ for a photographer. Hope some of my daughters friends parents show up so we can split that cost. No wonder everytime I go to use my card to buy smokes theirs no money in it.
    Dang now 100$ to get her nails and hair done then I guess I'm gonna have to take us all out for dinner tonight so there's another 100$. That's a lot of good cigars right there?
  • Options
    Well I guess it was all worth it. My little girl looks beautiful.image
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Nice. Now when her date comes, make sure you're out on the porch with a cigar in one hand, a glass of scotch in the other, and a shotgun in your lap.
  • Options
    LOL he's already seen me do that, except for the scotch anyway.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Whatever this cost is money well spent just to see that million dollar smile brother.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Whatever this cost is money well spent just to see that million dollar smile brother.
    Kind words brother, thank you.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    My daughter (15) just had her homecoming for high school. She got a dress, shoes, hair done up...all that crap. And to boot...she didn't even have a date! Not that Dad's complaining. She went with a group of girls and all decided not to get dates. They went out to TGIF for dinner then the Mom's took them over to the dance. Ours used to be right after the game. I remember playing in the game, then changing over in the locker room to go to the dance. Now, the game was on Friday and the dance was on Saturday. They seperated it. Either way...its still a stressful time for a Dad. Even more for a Mom who has to have an opinion on everything and help choose dresses. Shop for the perfect shoes. Coach with the hair and nails. Glad I'm not Mom! Prom is gonna she hell!
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Ask his name and write it on the shotgun shell.
  • Options
    She looks wonderful Rhamlin, and I'm sure you are an extra proud papa! Congrats on a fantastic family, treasure it brother ;)
  • Options
    jr_p951:
    My daughter (15) just had her homecoming for high school. She got a dress, shoes, hair done up...all that crap. And to boot...she didn't even have a date! Not that Dad's complaining. She went with a group of girls and all decided not to get dates. They went out to TGIF for dinner then the Mom's took them over to the dance. Ours used to be right after the game. I remember playing in the game, then changing over in the locker room to go to the dance. Now, the game was on Friday and the dance was on Saturday. They seperated it. Either way...its still a stressful time for a Dad. Even more for a Mom who has to have an opinion on everything and help choose dresses. Shop for the perfect shoes. Coach with the hair and nails. Glad I'm not Mom! Prom is gonna she hell!
    Amen brother ! Glad it's over.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Man, I'm not looking forward to none of this right now. I have to deal with 13 year old son whos not in high school yet. But plays football. Just spent $300 dollars total on football gear and association fees. Plus my 11 year old daughter is a cheerleader and you talk about being prissy. $200 dollars for all her stuff and we are not even talking about the 60 dollar hair do. Rhamlin weren't we just talking about this, lol...

• Options
    RCY Cigars:
    Man, I'm not looking forward to none of this right now. I have to deal with 13 year old son whos not in high school yet. But plays football. Just spent $300 dollars total on football gear and association fees. Plus my 11 year old daughter is a cheerleader and you talk about being prissy. $200 dollars for all her stuff and we are not even talking about the 60 dollar hair do. Rhamlin weren't we just talking about this, lol...

Lol yup sure were. Football and cheer I feel for ya. My daughter did cheer for a few years now that can get costly quick.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    man... my parents made ME pay for all that ***.

of course im not a girl so i didnt get my nails/hair done... and i didnt need a new suit for every event. and our school provided photographers. i always did splurge on dinner.

the cheapest homecoming dinner i had was $120 after tip.
    .... and that was 15 years ago.

of course i was only paying $0.79/gal in my little 4 banger car...

i guess times have changed my friend. good luck with that.
    ... just hope for a small wedding.
  • Options
    Lol yes the times they are a changing. A friend was just telling me about his daughters homecoming and she's still in middle school. I think these schools are getting carried away, heck my daughter had a 6th grade prom. I mean really a sith grade prom?!
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I'm with you Kuzi! I had to pay for all that sort of stuff.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I guess it really was all worth it, she looks happy as a can be and it's nice for you that she just went with friends! Congrats Man! (Although, I'm now wishing for boys when I have kids!)
  • Options
    Yeah she had a great time, this was her first date without us or her boyfriends parents being somewhere nearby?? seems like yesterday I took her down for T-ball tryouts??