Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Irish Reviews, Amateur Only

Comments

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Very nice review, Irish. I am currently on the hunt for a couple of these, but I keep coming up empty... maybe soon.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Very nice review, Irish. I am currently on the hunt for a couple of these, but I keep coming up empty... maybe soon.
    Thanks Todd ;) I might now where they can be had, PM me if interested.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    dowjr1:
    These look great! I gotta find some to try!
    They really are something noteworthy, and Andy said it best... they are one of my favs, and I'd have to agree completely with him!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    BigT and dowjr, PM to you guys.
  • Options
    amz1301:
    BigT and dowjr, PM to you guys.
    Thanks Andy, preciate the assist!
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    sounds like a great smoke and another great review... this is a line that I have seen posted here and there and seen it mixed in the "what did you get today" thread, but I know noting about them... I associate these with the Grimulkin stick too, not sure why... I have no idea if they are blended by the same person or not... but this one sounds great!
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    sounds like a great smoke and another great review... this is a line that I have seen posted here and there and seen it mixed in the "what did you get today" thread, but I know noting about them... I associate these with the Grimulkin stick too, not sure why... I have no idea if they are blended by the same person or not... but this one sounds great!
    The AF2 was definately one of the better smoke Ive had this year.. Super Cool of AMZ and his thoughtfulness!!
  • Options
    The Kid:
    robbyras:
    The AF2 was definately one of the better smoke Ive had this year.. Super Cool of AMZ and his thoughtfulness!!
    nice... where do you even get these? you guys are KILLING my cigar budget!!!
  • Options
    robbyras:
    The Kid:
    robbyras:
    robbyras, I sent you a PM also.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    robbyras:
    The Kid:
    robbyras:
    (jumping up and down) What about me, what about me,???/,;o)
  • Options
    The Kid:
    amz1301:
    robbyras:
    The Kid:
    robbyras:
    Already know you want more, lol. PM sent. Guess I'll try and get a count together for my next visit.
  • Options
    amz1301:
    The Kid:
    amz1301:
    robbyras:
    The Kid:
    robbyras:
    Already know you want more, lol. PM sent. Guess I'll try and get a count together for my next visit.
    HA! start charging a middle man mark up...
  • Options
    Got a review in Friday for the Padron 85th Maddie. Will be typed up and posted shortly ;)
  • Options
    Tatuaje Verocú Torpedo – (Black Label Tubo) -- 6 1/8th inches by 52 ring Gauge

Box Age: 1.5 years

Backstory:
    This was taken from Tatuajecigars.com and is Pete Johnson’s own words on how the Black Label came to be. It is a great read and really interesting to say the least.
    “On a recent trip to a famous island known for historic cigar making, I spent my time in a small town enjoying the simple life. Every day was peaceful and every night was festive, with both having cigars involved throughout. My favorite cigar was not a cigar bought at the local store or factory, but a cigar that was handed to me every morning.

Mornings, after taking a shower with a bucket of water warmed with what looked like a curling iron, I would walk to the front of the house and sit on the fence to get some sun and take in the fresh air. I also took in the fact that I was miles from home and no one knew where I was. My phone didn't work and I had no cares in the world other than trying to decide what to smoke.

My first morning on the island an older gentleman came along on his bike. This was not a motorcycle but something like an old Schwinn that he had likely been riding for decades. This gentleman was well dressed, almost dapper, and I probably appeared to him to be a strange character. My usual outfit of jeans, t-shirt, loads of silver jewelry, and an arm full of tattoos didn't seem to faze him. He saw I was enjoying myself so that morning, and every morning after that, he would stop and give me a cigar from his shirt pocket. This cigar was far from being a 'pretty' cigar but that did not bother me a bit. It was a treasured and unexpected gift that I was thrilled to be given. After smoking this cigar I realized that this was one of the best cigars I smoked on the island. Later that day in speaking with my host on this trip I came to understand that these cigars were something special to every person who carried them. They were cigars that they made for themselves. Even the guys who worked hard in the cigar factories all day would return home at night and make their private cigars. Simple cigars with flavors they personally enjoyed. Over the course of the next few days my host and I visited his friends and asked for cigars that they made. Before I left I had cigars from a few locals who all used different tobaccos from the different growing regions. They were all great but there was one that really stood out for me as special.

I decided when traveling to Nicaragua to work with the Garcia family that I would try to recreate this special cigar for myself. Together we spent quite some time working on the blend and looking at different leaves for wrapper. The marbled toothy wrapper was perfect for this cigar, rustic looking but with tons of aroma. After smoking the first sample, I was immediately brought back to that island relaxing on a fence, enjoying life, smoking a great cigar. A great cigar that will always in my mind represent the place, the time, and the experience of the purity of the simple life. This cigar may be considered ugly by some but inside that surface roughness it contains such rich flavor and aroma.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. This is a tribute to that cigar. – Pete Johnson”

Tobacco:
    The wrapper is an Esteli Nicaraguan Sun Grown Criollo, with the binder and filler only identified as I can find, as “Nicaraguan”.

Release Date: November 2009

Appearance:
    Having the Verocú presented in a matte black shaped tubo with simple silver lettering on the side saying Tatuaje and a simple Fleur de leis on each side is very subdued and simple, just the way I like any of the finer things in life, it lets the cigar speak for itself instead of the flashy marketing or presentation. Having smoked one Black Label already a few months back I am very excited to try one that has over a year of box aging on it. The cap to the tubo has a simple Fleur de leis stamped into it and really finishes off the presentation nicely. Upon opening the tubo and seeing the cigar it really does get one excited for the relaxing and exciting experience to come. The shaggy closed foot is something that I love on any cigar, but pair that with a marbleized toothy wrapper and a belicoso head and you get a very elegant and rustic cigar. There are a number of medium sized veins running the length of the cigar, but when added in contrast to the marbled wrapper it gives it an enjoyable rustic appearance that I really dig.

Nose:
    Very little nose comes off of the wrapper, however off the foot I pick up a sweet dried hay, a hint of spice, classic tobacco notes, and a very mellow cedar.

The Lick:
    The oils and spice are evident immediately on the lick and leave a slight but pleasant tingle on the lips and tongue, reminiscent of a much more subdued tingle that is associated with the Cu-Avana Punisher. Along with this I also pick up some smoky wood that I pickup as Oak. I also get the classic Nicaraguan twang that I have come to know and love with all Nicaraguan tobacco, specifically wrapper leaf.

The Cut:
    Being as this is a belicoso tip, I can’t use my punch that I typically prefer so I default to my Xikar Xi double guillotine cutter. I cut at about a 30 degree angle and it cuts cleanly without any tears.

The Dry Draw:
    The draw is dead-nuts perfect…. That is by far the first thing I notice and get even more excited for this experience! I immediately pick up strong notes of pepper, spice, and hay, with softer and more subtle notes of an oily leather, vanilla, and sweet dried hay again.

1st Light and Quarter:
    Light time is 3:10pm. I toast the foot with a double jet torch lighter for about 20 seconds after which it lights quickly and easily. Immediately the front of my palate is blasted with a very spicy pepper and smoked oak. The finish is long and deeply complex offering up a light cream with vanilla and a hint of nutmeg. The smoke is bountiful but feels light in the mouth so far. The retrohale lets a few more secrets out and I notice raisin, wet earth, and that slightly sour twang that I love so much with Nicaraguan tobacco, specifically puros. The vanilla and nutmeg blend seamlessly into the smoky oak and spice, with the pepper dying down just a touch, I suspect it will disappear in a fairly short order. As with many others that I’ve heard from regarding this stick, I am already having issues keeping this lit, but the flavors are so rich and powerful that I really don’t care. The pepper starts to die down as I suspected and a very balanced anise comes out on the finish and rounds this out beautifully adding a balance to it that I was looking for. An oily aged leather comes into play just after an inch into the stick and shows up as the smoke first hits your tongue and then rolls back to the rear ith a heavy mouth feel cream with the sweet maduro profile and the vanilla/nutmeg combo that is simply brilliant. The mouth feel of the smoke becomes much heavier and wetter leaving my mouth salivating after every draw… truly a masterpiece of a cigar and I’m not even ¼ of the way through the stick! The smoke nearly feels like a velvety liquid rolling through your palate, something unique to only truly high-end cigars that I have experienced only a handful of times in my time smoking cigars. The ash does not like to stay tight though and has flaked greatly and has given it a very neat look, the only complaint I have thus far is a slight run, but nothing severe by any means. The slightly sour twang that I referred to earlier is more pronounced now and compliments the spice and oak in a unique way that I absolutely love, and stays very balanced as well. The pepper has completely gone and is replaced by a refined spice and mild notes of anise that on the retro mix together with the creaminess and vanilla/nutmeg and is brilliant. I keep saying that word a lot, brilliant, and that is what continues to stick out in my mind; just how brilliant of a cigar this really is. I’ve yet to be disappointed by any Pete Johnson blend and this one is no different.

2nd Quarter:
    This is one of the more difficult and at the same time easy reviews that I have done. It is such a perfectly constructed and blended cigar that in that sense it is easy to review, but is it so complex and even more importantly subtle that it makes it very difficult as well. At this point I’m getting into the second quarter of the cigar and realized something. Each puff is similar enough to the previous that there is little change, but after a couple you notice that it has evolved from the past five minutes. The subtlety is just too difficult to properly put into words, it is by far one of the most refined flavor profile and smoke that I’ve had the grace to enjoy. I ash it at just over two inches and take this opportunity to tighten up the burn. The smoke is slightly warmer but I’m attributing that to adding heat when I evened out the run. The anise has built in body and the nutmeg died away, but it picked up some caramel and marshmallow in return and made this slightly sweeter which is very tasty. The slightly sour twang now truly compliments the sweeter aspect and makes it a sweet and sour profile and not only compliments the other well, but makes it more complex yet still balanced. The main palate is a mixture of caramel, marshmallow, anise, and tangy tobacco with notes of cedar… truly brilliant. There is that word again, and I just can’t convey enough how special this cigar is to me. As with all things in life, I’m sure that others who smoked this didn’t get as much out of it as I am, but for my profile and level of my palate this is hitting it just right on the head. The smoke production seems to continually increase the longer this is smoked, and at this point the anise and spice begin to build, with the cream and vanilla dying down and are now only tasted on the retro.

3rd Quarter:
    The classic maduro sweetness comes into play with the anise and spice building and marks a new turn in the profile of the cigar. The burn has tightened up considerably and now is only slightly wavy instead of a pronounced run. The smoky oak comes back into play now, but has changed just slightly and instead of the regular “dry” oak it tastes wetter…. Almost like a moist oak instead of the dried character. Put your nose next to a piece of oak that has been cut and dried using a kiln… it smells “dry” and more fragrant, whereas an oak log that has been soaked by rain smells “wet” and almost musty and earthy… that is the distinction I’m picking up on and trying to make. Caramel blends with the anise and oak especially more noted on the retrohale than anywhere else. Surprisingly so, the smoke is still cool and velvety and is certainly enjoyed. The second ash holds once again to just over 2” and I ash it so that I don’t end up wearing it.

Final Quarter:
    This marks the final quarter of the Verocú, and even on the finish it has yet to disappoint. The woody notes become richer and more full bodied and lean more towards the wet wood than the previous smoky elements. The anise is bold but it is a refined profile and doesn’t dominate it whatsoever, and the caramel finishes it off and rounds it out with the slightly sour twinge ever present. The spice is ever present as it has been throughout he stick but really shines on the retrohale making this not only interesting but memorable and unique. The only complaint I have about this cigar is that it did get hot at the very end of the stick, but since I nubbed it, I did expect it to happen. All in all this is a cigar that will live in my memory for quite some time, and something that I will constantly search for and try to always have in my humi.

Closing Thoughts:
    The one thing that stayed with me during the entire smoke and my final thoughts on this was brilliance. Simply how well thought out and executed this blend and construction was. It smoked well, developed greatly, presented excellently, and finished clean and strong. If I had to say a few negatives they would simply be related to the burn. It did have trouble staying lit and burned slightly uneven at times, the only way that it detracted from the experience was having to smoke it quicker to keep it lit, it did not however affect the profile or the enjoyment. There is a slight change that I will be making on this review that will reflect on the reviews that I will be publishing from here forward; namely that I will give certain cigars honors similar to other publications known as “Humidor Honors” for any cigar worthy of having in my own Top-Shelf Humidor.

Rating: 5+ Tobacco Leaves w/ Humidor Honors
  • Options
    Padron Family Reserve 85th Anniversary Maduro

Serial Number: 136670

Backstory and History:
    The 85th Anniversary is actually the smallest cigar in the Family Reserve line measuring in at 5 ¼” and 50 ring gauge. This cigar was created in honor of Jose’ Orlando Padrons’ 85th birthday using a San Andreas seed grown in Nicaragua along with the other tobacco used in this cigar since it is a Nicaraguan Puro. All of the tobacco rolled into this cigar has been pre-aged a minimum of 10 years and helps to make this a cigar that truly needs no box aging to make it a masterpiece, since it is already there!

Appearance:
    The wrapper was a dark chocolate brown with a heavy box press and a salt and pepper speckling throughout the length of the wrapper. The seams are flawlessly put together, something that is normal and most, including I, have come to expect from anything that the Padron family puts out. The wrapper is very oily and leathery feel that also reminds me of silk to the touch, with a bit of tooth to the appearance of it.

Nose:
    Off of the wrapper alone, there is little to no scent that is present, however the scents that do present themselves very lightly is a fresh cut hay and a light espresso. Off of the foot however, the scents are slightly more pungent and come to the palate as the fresh cut hay again, and a rich oak.

The Lick:
    The 10 year plus aged tobacco has created a wrapper that has little character to the lick and nose, but as with most Nicaraguan tobacco there is a very unique tang that is only present in Nicaraguan tobacco. Mild cedar is also present on the lick, but as an afterthought that is noticed on the back of your tongue.

Dry Draw:
    The dry draw resistance is dead-nuts perfect! A very unique citrus tang immediately presents itself and is reminiscent of a tangelo or maybe more closely to a blood orange. A smooth and creamy milk chocolate with some dried and light oak.

First Light and 1st Third:
    Since this is on the smaller side of cigars length wise, I have chosen to break it down into thirds instead of quarters. I cut the cap with my Xikar Xi guillotine cutter and light it with my Xikar Stratosphere hybrid flame lighter. The foot lights quickly and easily with an even burn. The flavors that quite litteraly assault the senses with how complex and pungent they are, simply put, are quite sublime. Massive spice and pepper notes are the first to hit you coming on strong through the front of my tongue giving way to a robust red oak and creamy milk chocolate on the finish initially. On the retrohale a hugely fragrant cedar dominates the senses in a balanced and rounded dimension. The pepper is slightly too powerful for the rest of the flavors and is at the moment the only flavor that tips this out of balance. However aft the first ¼” the pepper gives way and simply disappears. A balanced spice takes the place of the spice, and very quickly an extremely refined maduro chewiness, while the creamy milk chocolate takes on a luxurious velvety mouth feel and is rounded out by a light twinge of the citrus blood orange note, and an old oily leather and cedar finishes the balance on the retrohale. A tangy saltiness innate in Nicaraguan tobacco, especially extremely high quality Nicaraguan tobacco, coats your lips and adds a depth to the chocolate, oak, leather, oil and citrus notes to make it a truly unique experience unlike anything I have tried in my 7 years of cigar smoking. After ½” of burn, a rich cream peeks out that is identical to heavy whipping cream and coats your tongue with hints of nutmeg and vanilla as well. The salt and pepper speckling is evident in the ash as well and is very dense. After 1” of burn, the chocolate takes on a new facet with a VERY rich and dark espresso rounding out the already refined flavor. The ash splits right down the middle almost like splitting firewood. The spice is still present but has been rolling in and out of the forefront, with the leather getting more pungent from the oilyness becoming stronger and chewier. The tangy citrus is also present rolling in and out as well, and like the blood orange that it so reminds me of, it has a sweet finish to it as well! This reminds me exactly of biting into a 70% cocoa dark chocolate bar with roasted peanuts and espresso beans inside of it. The first ash holds just short of 2 inches and I ash it before it drops on me when I am smoking it.

Second Third:
    Immediately after I ash it, a very interesting development occurs by changing into a smoked oak and hickory as well, with a drier but still fragrant cedar on the finish and showing up even more potently on the retrohale. The milk chocolate has progressed into a smoky and bittersweet dark chocolate instead of the milk chocolate that it originally started out as. A very strong element of dry honey roasted peanut appears, intermingling in with the smoked dark chocolate as well. From this point forward there are not a large amount of significant changes, but a chewier sweet maduro flavor does shape up and the heavy notes of the dry honey roasted peanuts are added into that chewy maduro sweetness.

Final Third:
    As with the end of the second third, there are not a lot of prominent changes that occur. The largest difference is that the spice has become bolder and some white pepper chases the finish on the retrohale as well. The final change comes at the very end with the oak growing richer into a “red” oak with a bit of a wetter and chewy aspect rounding out the typical oak smell. Oddly enough, the anise that I expected to be there in the very beginning just showed up to the party and adds a sting to the tongue that I reallllly enjoy and adds a little bit more body that gives it the final kick that I was hoping for! The anise rolls in seamlessly to the roasted peanut, with the anise presenting itself on the tip of your tongue and then shifting to the back of your palate with the long and sweet peanut finish. The oak has finished off and morphs into a wet and chewy cedar, like sticking your head into a freshly seasoned humidor. More prevalent than at any other point in this stick, the major flavors change drastically every couple of puffs changing in and out of all the flavors that have been in the palate up to this point.

Final Thoughts and Wrap-Up:
    All in all this was by far the most unique and complex stick that I have ever had the privilege to smoke. It was also the most difficult review I have had to write as well since there were so many subtle and unique flavors. Trying to not only get them on paper in a way that makes sense, but also does this justice was truly a difficult task. The construction and feel of the 85th was something of a masterpiece, the small cigar felt very solid in your hand and the burn was absolutely razor sharp with a cool and heavy feel to the smoke, the ultimate in luxury for a cigar in my humble opinion. Final smoking time ended up being 1 ½ hours, and an experience of a lifetime.

Rating: 5 Tobacco Leaves out of 5 w/ Humidor Honors
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Excellent reviews. The Padron 85 and Tat Verocu are very high on my gotta try list. I'm a bit envious that you are able to pick up all these subtle flavors and nuiances. Me, I usually just say, damn, that's one fine cigar, and let it go at that.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    i know what you mean ive been trying to get a tatuaje black tubo myself, ive looked online and every b&m i go to
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Just to clarify, there is no Verocu Black tubo. The Verocu Tubo is the "red" Tubo, which is a torpedo version of the Verocu blend (which is a stronger Havana VI blend with an Oscuro wrapper), and the Black Tubo is a tubed version of the Black blend in a torpedo. Great reviews though!

As for finding either of the tubos... you guys are about 2 years late on them. Pete has also said that he won't likely be doing tubos again, given all of the problems people reported with them.
  • Options
    That's what's bad/ good about getting into this great hobby I'm a year in I'm trying to play catch up while still trying to try everything new all while I'm still developing my palate
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys! I've been doing my best on the reviews to pull out even the faintest flavors, and also to describe it in a way that everyone will understand what I mean by "x" or "y" so that it is clear. Thanks for everything guys!
  • Options
    Montecristo No. 2 – Havana, Cuba 6 1/8th Inches X 52 Ring Gauge

Appearance:
    This is far and away one of the rougher and more rustic cigars that I have smoked. A somewhat leathery and quite toothy wrapper used as a backdrop to the classic and simple light brown band with the Fleur-de-leis of Montecristo as the centerpiece makes this cigar understated and refined. There are two to three medium girth veins running the length of the No. 2 and the wrapper is a light brown with rust mixed into the color as well. Elegant and rustic, this cigar commands respect and certainly intrigues me and I find myself anxious as I write this to finally put fire and taste this masterpiece!

Nose:
    The wrapper offers very little nose to go on, but I pick up a slight citrus sour note and mild grass and hay notes. Off of the foot I pick up cedar and cream, but little more.

Dry Draw:
    I cut the belicoso tip with my Xikar Xi cutter at a 30 degree angle to reveal a perfect draw, maybe the best draw I’ve had yet. The lick revealed a light spice and pepper, and when I draw through the unlit No. 2, I pick up lemon grass, mild spice, overly dry but fragrant cedar, and shades of white pepper. It is already highly complex, and I’m done waiting… time to light this!

1st Light and Quarter: Light time 4:20 pm

I toast the foot for around ten seconds and then draw through it and it lights in seconds… Pure un-adulterated unfettered bliss. It is instantly the smoothest and most refined cigar I’ve ever had the privilege of smoking, and I am only on the first few draws! White oak, vanilla, honey blended with sweet cream, and final notes of the most refined and clean cedar I’ve tried yet. There is another flavor in there, it reminds me of anise but does not have that bitter bite towards the end, raisin is the best description I can come up with. A white pepper rounds this out by showing up only AFTER the smoke has cleared my nose as an afterthought and proves this to be a long and intriguing finish! Leather, cedar, and vanilla are the single biggest components right now, however there are so many other flavors just under the surface that it doesn’t feel fair to say that those are the key players. There is so much going on in this cigar. Medium body so far with the lightest and creamiest smoke I’ve had, cool and feels like cashmere on the palate… the ultimate in class and luxury in a cigar for me! If I were to describe the flavors and how they roll across the palate it would be this; the first thing to hit the tip of your tongue is certainly a mild white oak with honey, as it moves towards the middle of my tongue it blends seamlessly into an aged leather and vanilla, and then it makes a truly interested change becoming bold in comparison by rolling into cedar, cinnamon, and finishing with white pepper and raisin. Unique is an understatement that does not do the No. 2 justice, I can easily see why this is one of the most sought after cigars in history. After half an inch in I notice that it has already changed significantly but certainly not instantaneously. Notes of a mild coffee have come into play on the retro, I would describe it as a mild café’ roast along with elements of a bittersweet dark chocolate. The spice has built in body compared to how it started and makes it far more interesting for my palate. It is more noticeable on the retrohale compared to how it rolls in your mouth, and a bit of hickory and a remarkably subtle dry roasted peanut. All of these flavors are incredibly subtle and difficult for me to pick up, but when I close my eyes and just let my mind go blank and see without bias what flavors come to mind when the smoke draws through and rolls over my tongue it becomes clearer and even minor changes are much more evident. The raisin is becoming sweeter and less of a tangy bite, and the overall sweetness has grown but it isn’t a sugary sweetness but rather a thick and rich sweetness with the sweet cream and honey growing in body and bringing out a far more balanced interaction with the oak and cedar. The draw is the most dead-nuts perfect draw that I’ve ever had. I find myself consistently falling into a daydream remembering my first experiences with premium cigars years ago and how they were damned near mystical and extraordinary to me; this Monte has brought me back to those days again and I find myself constantly staring in wonder at this with a giant smile spread across my face. This really is that special to me, and I am so glad that I lit it when I did! The hickory and leather have taken a turn to compliment the sweet cream and cedar by presenting themselves first on the draw now and melting into a sweet and luxurious finish that makes my mouth water every time I take a draw. The draw is razor sharp and the ash is a light gray that is tight and holds on easily at over an inch. The finish is just as long and bold as ever with an added kick of pepper that adds a new element and refinement without making it bitter and having it linger.

2nd Quarter:
    The sweetness is still quite evident but at the second quarter mark it changes directions now to feature the smoky wood and grass notes rather than the creamy and rather rich honey and vanilla tones. The aged leather grows in body to accentuate the smoky oak, and has a slight tang to it that I personally have only ever gotten in hickory. Elements of a light hay support the undertones and let the bolder smoked oak and leather shine currently. The raisin that was clear as day for the first inch, now only plays on the finish and only on the retro adding a sweet taste that lingers with the spice and pepper. Along with the raisin, anise now comes out but is so mild that it seems to be tied exclusively to the raisin and comes in on the heels of the oak and leather. Yet again however, it seamlessly changes into something different. The main component has shifted to be buttery and creamy. Imagine fresh baked homemade bread right out of the oven, browned with butter on top, and then drizzled with honey and oats. THAT is the flavor profile, divine… The finish becomes longer and lighter, vanilla, peanut, and cedar blend together and balance the sweetness on the front of your palate. The slight citrusy tang has returned on the finish and follows the cedar and oak combination being quite balanced regardless of what flavors come with any draw. It seems like every draw is different though, no flavor profile lasts much longer than a minute or so, yet each draw is similar to the previous one. It changes so seamlessly and subtly that it is by far the most intense and challenging review I have ever attempted. The sweet and sour combination that the No. 2 showcases perfectly is reminiscent of Nicaraguan Puros in the sense that the salty tang in Nicaraguan leaf is evident in the Cuban leaf, but the Cuban leaf does it with far for finesse if that makes any sense… The sweetness of the vanilla and honey is complimented PERFECTLY by the light lemon tang that accompanies the oak and leather. It is easy to see that this is a classic blend that has been tweaked and mastered over decades. The smokiness and anise that carried the oak and leather has died down, and given way to the sweet cream and honey again. Raisin once again becomes prominent on the tip of your tongue and supports the honey and lemon on the retrohale brilliantly. Coffee is the only way to describe the flavor I pick up on the transition from the sweet cream and vanilla to the dry leather and white oak of the finish.

3rd Quarter:
    The beginning of the third quarter provides a slightly heavier bodied smoke, and I think this is due to the coffee that just recently was added back in. The peanut and chocolate are evident once again, but has changed from bittersweet to milk chocolate instead. This is better in my opinion because the sweet cream, vanilla, and raisin that has been persistently solid throughout the entire stick is far more balanced by the mildness of the milk chocolate rather than the body that the bittersweet dark chocolate shows. The flavors are far less choppy, not that they were ever out of wack to begin with, now that everything has taken a milder and refined turn. The burn is as perfect as I’ve ever had in a cigar, and the draw has never changed once from how it started. The body of the smoke is heavier and has a chewy element to it now which helps to carry the milder flavors and lets the balance be the highlight instead of a flavor bomb. The second ash has fallen again, both at 1 ½ inches. Hickory and lemon are now the first things to hit my tongue and then melt into cedar and vanilla to finish with the vanilla being prominent but still having that clover honey element that I spoke of earlier. It seems impossible to nail down just a few flavors because each flavor leads to another note it seems. With just over two inches to go the smoke is just now warming slightly but is not unpleasant yet. With the heat however the spice and anise become heavier with just a slight bitterness. I’m pretty sure that this is due to the slight tar buildup you get as you smoke it down further, since this happens in any and every stick. The smoky wood notes are bolder as well and are picked up on on the rear of your tongue with the tangy leather being at the front. The vanilla, honey and sweet cream are now just undertones that are difficult to pick out but help to carry the bolder flavors and keep it in balance. A hint of lemon is present throughout the entire palate but is not overpowering, rather it is picked up only as an afterthought proving just how refined and perfectly blended the Montecristo No. 2 really is.

Final Quarter:
    The raisin has all but disappeared and I have to hunt for it on the retrohale to be able to pick it up at all. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing since I still love the flavor profile now, but I did really enjoy that unique element that the raisin added to the mix. The spice has grown steadily to accompany the added heat and very slight bitterness but has somehow still kept the balance that I expected to have disappeared this close to the nub. It seems that throughout this cigar I have been constantly surprised, and the ending is no different. Whereas I expected this to finish bitter and peppery as it was leading me to believe, it shifted and became incredibly creamy and lushious again. Honey, vanilla, sweet cream, lemongrass and cedar all come back into the swing of things again and the anise and spice fade to nothingness for the final few draws.
    Finish Time: 6:00 pm

Total Smoke Time: 1 hr 40 minutes

Final Thoughts:
    Every preconceived notion I had about balance, refinement, and richness of a true work of art cigar has been blown out of the water with this one. It is truly difficult to put into words just how special this cigar was to me. Every single flavor blended together so easily and fully that it was a true challenge to pick out what I did, the complexity was second to none and I fully comprehend now why this is one of the most sought after and highly regarded cigars in the world. The No. 2 has set a benchmark so high that few cigars will ever be able to meet. It has in no way skewed my perspective of taste of non-ISOM cigars, but it has opened my eyes to what can be achieved when blending, quality, and patience meet in the perfect combination. THIS is the epitome of a fine cigar, and I am truly blessed to have been able to experience it while my wonderful wife sits next to me in the lounge enjoying a cigar of her own. If I had to describe this specific cigar in one word, it would be the same word that has been on my mind since I first lit it up; Perfect.

Rating: 6 Tobacco leaves out of 5 – If it blew me away, then it deserves to blow away the scale as well.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Nice review Irish. Sounds like a great cigar!
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Agreed. Really nice review. I like the #2, but I LOVE the Edmundo. I'll have to drop you one when I get home this summer.

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    No. 2s, along with the No. 4 are some of the most inconsistent Habanos made, given their amazingly high production numbers, but when they are on, they can be downright unstoppable! Nice review. Thanks for sharing a great experience with us.
  • Options
    IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    I am actually ashamed to say this as his wife and actually typed a couple of these reviews up for him, but this is the first time I've actually truly sat down to read one of his reviews and having had a puff or two from this cigar, I will agree that it was a very difficult cigar to pin point down all I can say was it was like taking a hot bubble bath after a long day and eating a well tempered chocolate bar it was that good! His review made me feel like I smoked the No.2 myself and actually look forward to the day that I have grown up in the smoking cigar world to sit and smoke one of these myself and appreciate it as much as he did.
  • Options
    Steve2010:
    Agreed. Really nice review. I like the #2, but I LOVE the Edmundo. I'll have to drop you one when I get home this summer.

ThanksSteve that is awfully kind of you, don't feel like you have to but if you choose to thank you and all I ask is for a return addy so that I can show my appreciation ;)
  • Options
    Thank you all for the kind words and support, it means a lot especially now that I am working so diligently to start my career in this field :) It's true that Amanda hadn't read a review of mine until today, but thanks for the feedback and kindness sweetie, always appreciated :)
  • Options
    Awesome review, I can't wait till I get my hands on a Monty 2 hopefully a box for summer, keep up the great reviews
  • Options
    big chunks:
    Awesome review, I can't wait till I get my hands on a Monty 2 hopefully a box for summer, keep up the great reviews
    Thanks brother, means a lot! I would certainly love some feedback as well from all of you guys, anything that you think should be better, or changed, or what I should focus on etc. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hey Brothers and Sisters!
    Thanks to some great advice from a couple of brothers I have decided to revamp my rating system to a 100 point scale. Paul and a few others have given some counsel that I feel was very solid and want to adapt. The following will be the breakdown on the scale system:

Appearance - 25 points available. Wrapper, band, blemishes etc will be taken into consideration
    Flavor Profile - 35 points available. This is subjective of course, but will be based on MY flavor profile
    Construction - 25 points available. Burn issues, wrapper issues, draw and such things will be addressed here.
    Wow Factor - 15 points available. Certain cigars just floor me, this is a way to quantitatively **** my own personal opinion on how "special" a certain cigar is and should be rewarded for.

Thanks all and still always open and grateful to ANY input.