Home General Discussion
Options

Suggestions for my Humidor

I just got a nice sized humidor. So far I have put a box of Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserves, H. Upmann Cabinet Seleccion, Nub Cameroon, and a bundle of Ghurka Doble Maduro. I feel like I have covered my bases on having a nice traditional, connecticut, and maduro selections but I would like to add two more boxes. I wanted to see what everyone could suggest for the following.

1. A mild cheapie to bum to non-regular smoking friends. It doesnt have to be great, but not nauseating (strength of flavor) but still makes them feel like a million bucks (but doesnt cost as much)

2. A nice spicy medium-full cigar. Something with some pepper and great flavor.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    #1. 5 Vegas Gold

#2. Ask someone else. I don't normally care for the peppery sticks. Perhaps a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet? I found that one rather spicy, but the flavor was good.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    NSIOps:

I just got a nice sized humidor. So far I have put a box of Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserves, H. Upmann Cabinet Seleccion, Nub Cameroon, and a bundle of Ghurka Doble Maduro. I feel like I have covered my bases on having a nice traditional, connecticut, and maduro selections but I would like to add two more boxes. I wanted to see what everyone could suggest for the following.

1. A mild cheapie to bum to non-regular smoking friends. It doesnt have to be great, but not nauseating (strength of flavor) but still makes them feel like a million bucks (but doesnt cost as much)

2. A nice spicy medium-full cigar. Something with some pepper and great flavor.

Thanks

NSIOps, when you say "cheapie" what is the price range. Because I always think of 5 Vegas Classic or Gold, Classic is a mediumstrength that cost near 3-4 dollars but taste like double the price. Gold is milder and is an equally great value at about the same price. I like the original La Aurora which is a nicer mild cigar, at about 4 bucks on the smalle sizes. And for a Medium strength with a great flavor, I'm a big fan of Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 and 1990. Other suggestions are sure to follow.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    CAO soprano soldier, America, Partagus Black Label (toro which would be a maximus I think). 5 vegas A (a little on the strong side but good, just have something in your stomach), man that's about it, though most of these are about 6 bucks minus the soprano. I guess most of the sticks I enjoy and have aren't really all that cheap. Hmmmm.... I'd like to find some really good 3 dollar sticks. haven't yet.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I think the 5 Vegas Gold runs away with the first one. What you described is practically the definition of that cigar.

As for the peppery one, maddy's probably going to have the best suggestions, since that's what he likes. You might try the regular Upmann, which has some cedary/peppery flavors. Seems like most of the posts I see about any Don Pepin Garcia cigar talk about pepperiness.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hmmmm.... I'd like to find some really good 3 dollar sticks. haven't yet.

Here's a plug for the ccom house blends :) I also dig on the Cusano's, Oliva special g's and AF Curl Heads.
  • Options
    The Padron Londres can be had for a little over $2 a stick, but it's a little closer to the full bodied end. As far as a medium to full smoke with great flavor and a kind of peppery spice to it, can't go wrong with the Rocky Patel Vintage '90.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Suggestion: mail me your humidor as it is, I'll clean out all the junk you don't need and fill it with some cheap, mild cigars and mail it back. :D
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Hmmmm.... I'd like to find some really good 3 dollar sticks. haven't yet.

Here's a plug for the ccom house blends :) I also dig on the Cusano's, Oliva special g's and AF Curl Heads.
    I did love the red label, okay so one cheap stick that I like...
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    To me a good smoke you can get cheap and give to friends are the Ccom blends the 5 vegas classic or gold La herencia cubanas. Any of those would have good flavor and are not going to overpower the rare smoker and at the same time are enjoyable to the everyday smoker as well. As far as the more spicy cigar with good flavor and med-full body buy a box of Ashton VSGs and never look back. Soon you will be like me and everytime you go to the humidor you have to control your urge to grab one or you will be out of VSGs or hurting in the pocket book.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Stoogee:
    out of VSGs or hurting in the pocket book.

Or both...and that REALLY Sucks!!!
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    1. For the less costly (Sounds much better than cheap) I would recommend either a 5 Vegas Gold/Classic or the C.Com house blends. The Cuban classic is still one of my favorite all together smokes.

2. For a med/full spicy cigar, go for a Pepin or EO blend.
    Pepin - Pepin Cuban Classic, JJ, My Father, Mi Barrior, Tatuaje, etc...
    EO - 601 or Cubao
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Mmmm...DPG Cuban Classic is a winner in my book.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Stoogee:
    As far as the more spicy cigar with good flavor and med-full body buy a box of Ashton VSGs and never look back.
    This is me smacking my forehead. Why didn't I think of that? Duh.

A few people have suggested the 5 Vegas Classic for the mild cigar, which surprises me. The Classic isn't strong, but it is on the north side of medium.
  • Options
    I got a CuVanna Intenso on a ccom sampler pack,, it tasted liked it was rolled and glued toghter with pepper.. havent had anything close to that since:)
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    vankleekkw:
    1. For the less costly (Sounds much better than cheap) I would recommend either a 5 Vegas Gold/Classic or the C.Com house blends. The Cuban classic is still one of my favorite all together smokes.

EO - 601 or Cubao
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say.
  • Options
    Is the 601 only med/full? If so, then to your question in another thread, yeah.. I'm all about the medium-bodied sticks. I really liked the 601, but it put me to bed.
  • Options
    The 601's are full bodied. The maduro may be medium-full but I think the rest are completely full bodied. The 601 black is a conneticut wrapped cigar and is easily the most full bodied conneticut I've ever heard of.
  • Options
    yeah.. I had the 601 Black. It blew me away. That was one of the best Connecticuts I've had. I'm just not much of a fan of Connecticuts, in general. But if you blindfolded me and asked me to guess the wrapper on that cigar, Connecticut would be the last on my list.
  • Options
    Same for me duty. I think because Connie's are relatively mild by themselves when you pack in a binder and filler as powerful as what is in that cigar it almost completely erases the flavor of the Connie wrapper from the cigar.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Anythiing by Fuente!
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:

EO - 601 or Cubao
    Great minds think alike
  • Options
    vankleekkw:
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:

EO - 601 or Cubao
    Great minds think alike
    And apparently smoke alike, too. ;)
  • Options
    vankleekkw:
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:

EO - 601 or Cubao
    Great minds think alike
    Must I say it again?

....and, apparently, so do yours
  • Options
    dutyje:
    vankleekkw:
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:

EO - 601 or Cubao
    Great minds think alike
    Must I say it again?

But not yours. Neither great, nor alike. ;)
  • Options
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    vankleekkw:
    madurofan:
    vankleekkw:

EO - 601 or Cubao
    Great minds think alike
    Must I say it again?

But not yours. Neither great, nor alike. ;)
    To prove this, you would need to find a great mind that does not think like mine. Of course, this would produce a theory that not all great minds think alike. To prove this, you would need to find two great minds that do not think alike. However, it seems pretty clear at this point that, if all great minds think alike, either you or I (or both) do not have a great mind.

I thought the request was for a med/full spicy cigar. That list seemed to consist of full-bodied blends.
  • Options
    Of course, another way to prove that I don't have a great mind is to look at the results when I have applied my mind. I think you would find ample evidence to support that theory.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Of course, another way to prove that I don't have a great mind is to look at the results when I have applied my mind. I think you would find ample evidence to support that theory.
    LMAO.

You're correct in that he asked for a medium/full spicy stick but IME to trully get a spicy stick its almost always going to be closer to full.

THe exception to this is the Sol Cubano Sumatra along with the RP Edge Sumatra (and some other Cameroons and Sumatras) but neither of those possess a smack you in the face spiciness. Its a subtle spiciness that is slightly more noticable bc of the inherent sweetness of the Sumatra/cameroon.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    You're correct in that he asked for a medium/full spicy stick but IME to trully get a spicy stick its almost always going to be closer to full.
    Now the reverse of this is not at all necessarily true. IME a spicy stick is usually full bodied but a full bodied stick is not necessarily spicy. The Camacho Triple Maduro immediately sticks out in my mind.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    madurofan:
    Now the reverse of this is not at all necessarily true. IME a spicy stick is usually full bodied but a full bodied stick is not necessarily spicy. The Camacho Triple Maduro immediately sticks out in my mind.
    Will have to add that to the list.. I'm not a huge fan of in-your-face spice. I didn't really get any spice out of the SC Sumatra. I found the SC Cuban Cabinet to be spicy and med/full (and a good cigar overall, especially for the price).
  • Options
    IMO spice can be many things. When I call a cigar spicy I'm usually referring to a black pepper like spice. When I say it has a little spice I could be referring to something spicy in a cinnamon like way or even just a soft little bite on the tip of the tongue. Both of these are very appealling to me. I think the SC Sumatra has a cinnamon like spice to it, not that it tastes like cinnamon but the sensation that you get from that kind of spice. Does that make sense?