Home General Discussion
Options

What Would it be???

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Well I was smoking and talking with a friend last night and I asked him a question that really made us think about all the cigars we have smoked and what makers have the best line with the most diverse selection of smokes. I thought I would throw this one out here and see what you guys think.

If you could only smoke cigars from ONE maker for the rest of your life, what maker would you choose and why? Would you go for someone who has a lot of smokes that are very different, or would you go for the maker that puts out the one that you really love the most and can always count on?

Comments

• Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    One maker I don't think I could do. 2 or 3 maybe. But if forced I would probably go with Oliva, possibly Camacho, Padron, Fuente.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Given my limited experience, this is based pretty much off just reviews and what I have read, but I think I would go with Drew Estate. When you say only one maker ever again, I think I would want the best variety and top-notch quality. Drew Estate has you covered on the infused side and their traditional blends side looks pretty good. I have read alot of great things about their Chateau Real and Liga Privada, and everyone I have talked to seems to like the LVH line.

I personally dig their Java and Kuba Kuba, and I have a Tabak Especial, two of the Natural line, LVH The Early Years, two of each wrapper varients for their regular LVH line, and a Chateau Real maduro on the way now. I will re-confirm this after I go through those I have on order, but I think I may be a DE junky.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If I had to pick one maker, I'd have to go with Padilla. Reason being that Padilla cigars appeal to my tastes pretty much across all the different blends. Padron is a really close second, but there is not enough diversity with Padron cigars.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    It would have to be Rocky Patel for me. I like most of his blends and his diversity is incredible. I'm pretty eclectic in my cigar tastes so to limit myself to most of brands, which are very similar between each blend, would be tough for me.
  • Options
    Right now it would have to be Arturo Fuente, but I'm still knockin down the list.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Given my limited experience, this is based pretty much off just reviews and what I have read, but I think I would go with Drew Estate. When you say only one maker ever again, I think I would want the best variety and top-notch quality. Drew Estate has you covered on the infused side and their traditional blends side looks pretty good. I have read alot of great things about their Chateau Real and Liga Privada, and everyone I have talked to seems to like the LVH line.

I personally dig their Java and Kuba Kuba, and I have a Tabak Especial, two of the Natural line, LVH The Early Years, two of each wrapper varients for their regular LVH line, and a Chateau Real maduro on the way now. I will re-confirm this after I go through those I have on order, but I think I may be a DE junky.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Dude Love:
    Right now it would have to be Arturo Fuente, but I'm still knockin down the list.
    Me too.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    alienmisprint:

Uhhh... Were there supposed to be words there Maddy? lol
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    alienmisprint:

Uhhh... Were there supposed to be words there Maddy? lol
    Heh there sure were. I said, while I'm not a fan of infused cigars with the new non-infused sticks DE has been popping out lately, they may not be a bad choice either.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gurkha.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    hmmm.....as far as diversity...I think I'm with Jozer on this one. The Padilla lines have some pretty excellent sticks in all walks, except a Cammy. But the Padron's have the ultimate consistency and flavor profiles that I enjoy most. It's tough to choose between my ADD and my Obsessision and Complusion
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I would have to take Fuente or Oliva. I can't choose just one, so if i was left with only one of these two then I would be happy.

But I sure would miss the other...
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I wouyd have to say A.Fuentes. I haven't met an A.F I didn't like.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    For me I couldn't pick one, but could probably narrow it down to three to five. For sure, Rocky Patel and Perdomo. Thinking I would need to add 5 Vegas and either Gurkha, Cusano or CAO too.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I would expect that we'll see some serious consolidation into the conglomorates (sp) such as Altadis and General Cigar. I'd abstain from making my selection until after that consolidation takes place. I'd have a hard time narrowing at the moment, because I'm still trying new things. Also, I don't know who owns what, so I'd have to do my research first (naturally) :)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    I would have to go with the Fuentes family as well.. I have enjoyed everything from them I have ever tried. and that is many,many.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    Edit / Duplicate
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Cheaters! The game is you have to pick just ONE...i'm basically an fng, but i'd go RP at this point in my career.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    Don Pepin because there is about a million different ones and I tend to like all of the ones I have had.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    RP, he puts out a huge diverse lineup and i love em all. But 5 Vegas and Gurkha run a reeeeeal close second.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Stoogee:
    Don Pepin because there is about a million different ones and I tend to like all of the ones I have had.
    I have to agree. I have yet to find a Pepin blend that I haven't liked. He has the midas touch right now.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Fuente. Hands down. No contest.

They make some of everything in every size, so you're future-proof. They cover the whole range of prices. Damn near everything they make is top-notch. And they make 2 of my very favoritest cigars (three if I get to include Ashton, since Fuente makes them, too), which is true of only one other maker. That's Montecristo, and they don't make near the range that Fuente does.
  • Options
    vankleekkw:
    Stoogee:
    I have to agree. I have yet to find a Pepin blend that I haven't liked. He has the midas touch right now.
    The problem with Pepin is that many of the cigars I love most aren't his he just made them. So I didn't know if that would count. If it does than I reneg my RP comment and choose DPG.
  • Options
    urbino:

They make some of everything in every size, so you're future-proof. They cover the whole range of prices. Damn near everything they make is top-notch. And they make 2 of my very favoritest cigars (three if I get to include Ashton, since Fuente makes them, too), which is true of only one other maker. That's Montecristo, and they don't make near the range that Fuente does.
    But see.. if you go with Montecristo, don't you get to say Altadis.. which gives you a lineup of R&J, the H Upmann, and the Playboy (have you had this yet?) ... among others.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    urbino:

But see.. if you go with Montecristo, don't you get to say Altadis.. which gives you a lineup of R&J, the H Upmann, and the Playboy (have you had this yet?) ... among others.
    If we can't choose a giant umbrella conglomerate, I'd probably have to go with RP. That'd give me the Vintage blends, among others I've liked, and a host of others that I expect I will (like the Sun Grown). But if we're going with one of the big boys, I'd say Altadis, because they are poised to be the big magnet of consolidation as the cigar industry hits its ice age.
  • Options
    Interesting replies on here. You guys are thinking along the same lines as I was. It would be tough to choose though. With RP you would have all his great smokes plus the Nording, Indian Tabac, Nicaro...etc... or you could go with Fuente, and since they do make the Ashton stuff... or of course Don Pepin makes tons of smokes for other people so any of those would be a great choice.
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    Great topic...it makes my circuit box hurt!
    I would go with Abdel "AJ" Fernandez...does that count? Is he considered a "maker" or a "prodcuer"..is there a differenc? I just want Man O'War...I could live of that smoke for life..
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    gurkha.
    good man!!!

... but i would have to go with camacho. i never had one i didnt like.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    gurkha.
    good man!!!

... but i would have to go with camacho. i never had one i didnt like.
    I've noticed you've been on a Camacho marketing kick lately. New job? I guess that fits your Honduran tobacco theory.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    no, not new job. Camacho just rules.

they are a bit spendy but this time of year i dont smoke that much, so its only the best.