Home General Discussion
Options

Online cigars sales.....in jeopardy, or not?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    another link about health effects and second hand smoke that someone may be able to use. CLICK

i sent out a few emails and im working on hard copies. i have heard nothing back from any of the elected officials i have emailed. that isnt much of a surprise.
    Thanks Kuzi, I appreciate the additional info.

I also came across some more info- This article/person does a pretty good job at summarizing the differences between cigar and cigarette related health effects. However, this article is just this person's opinion and summary of the initial report from the NCI, if you want to check out the full NCI report, you can find it here as a pdf.

Also, just received a newsletter from a different online retailer it linked to this article
    EDIT - the original html tag I had doesn't seem to be direct to the right article....so here's the URL http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/29/cigar-lovers-industry-unite-to-snuff-out-fda-regulatory-agenda

I suggest everyone read it, it has some very good arguments and sentiments in it. It may even be worth forwarding to your elected officials.

Also, get your coolidors ready and stock up while you can!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And if you want some more detailed info on the bill itself, or to track it's progress, you can find that here.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Got another response from my other Senator who is actually on the committee it seems. Not that he really gave me any meaningful info but:

ear Mr. Padgett:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S.1461, Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011. I appreciate your comments, and I am glad to have this opportunity to respond.

As a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, and as someone who represents a state in which agriculture is the number one industry, I take a keen interest in the issue of tobacco regulation.

S.1461 was introduced on August 1, 2011, by Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL). This legislation amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Secretary of Health and Human Services through the Food and Drug Administration, also known as the FDA. It would also exempt traditional large and premium cigars from user fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. S.1461 is currently pending in the Senate HELP Committee.

As my colleagues on the Senate HELP Committee continue to review such proposals, I will evaluate all legislation based on merit. While doing so, I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind.