Home Cigar 101
Options

102 Things Newbs Should Know *ORIG POST UPDATED*

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum, @TheKraken.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Release the Kraken!
    Welcome aboard.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheKraken

Howdy and welcome.

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GaryThompson said:
    @TheKraken

Howdy and welcome.

Hi GT welcome to the forum...

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're rock candy, Baby.
    You're hot, sweet, and stickaaaaaaay.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalR1 said:

@GaryThompson said:
    @TheKraken

Howdy and welcome.

Hi GT welcome to the forum...

Funny guy.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks all!

• Options
    Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

nice recap of things to get me back in the swing of it thank you!

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good read, I remember reading this when I was first on the forum. Didn't @kuzi16 have a post about cigar or forum etiquette?

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's pinned in the general discussion forum. First couple of posts somewhere.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great post to see. I’ve been in the cigar community for around 30yrs and it has always been about the comradery. I used to frequent several forums until the new wave of google “experts” came along and I started seeing people using their new found knowledge to try to make people less informed feel inferior. This is the exact opposite of what I’ve always known the community to be.
    Last night was my first time on this forum and I simply posted a legitimate question. The few responses I received were from a couple smartasses that Im guessing spend their days trying to find someone new to the community that they can use to make themselves superior in some way.
    Seeing that there are people on here that will help the people newer to the community by giving them information is great to see. On other forums I have people ask questions daily about things we take for granted. In my eyes that’s what it’s always been about. Actually being a BOTL. Nice post.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most first post answers are kind of a test for skin thickness for the reasons previously mentioned.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    This is a great post to see. I’ve been in the cigar community for around 30yrs and it has always been about the comradery. I used to frequent several forums until the new wave of google “experts” came along and I started seeing people using their new found knowledge to try to make people less informed feel inferior. This is the exact opposite of what I’ve always known the community to be.
    Last night was my first time on this forum and I simply posted a legitimate question. The few responses I received were from a couple smartasses that Im guessing spend their days trying to find someone new to the community that they can use to make themselves superior in some way.
    Seeing that there are people on here that will help the people newer to the community by giving them information is great to see. On other forums I have people ask questions daily about things we take for granted. In my eyes that’s what it’s always been about. Actually being a BOTL. Nice post.

Welcome @rdp77 I hope you won't hold it against me for being in the cigar community for only around 10 years and googling some of my cigar knowledge. LOL. We are a small group of regulars who enjoy each other's company. It IS about the comradery here. Stick around. Then judge whether or not you can tolerate us. We aren't for everybody. But, take a few more draws before you decide if we're tolerable.

• Options
    BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All, I am very new here, as in just rolled in yesterday ;)

I learned quite a bit about cigars by reading the pinned post here and I truly appreciate that someone spent the time to put it together. I just recently learned something that I didn't see in the 102 tips so I thought I would offer it up here in case it is worthy of including. It is regarding keeping the burn even on the cigar.

When I first started smoking "real" cigars... I would sometimes get one side burning faster and I would turn the cigar so the least burned portion was at the top, so it would hopefully get more heat rising. Well someone mentioned to me that it works better to put that least burnt section at the bottom and amazingly enough it has been making a huge difference. I would have never tried that, as it seems counter-intuitive, but now I am seeing that this really works.

Hopefully this is something that can help others and is not so obvious to us neophytes. Brokegunner

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
  • Options

Funny thing, I've always heard to turn the cigar so the slow burning side is down, but recently tried it based on someone else's advice with the slow burning side up and at an angle and that seems to work better.

• Options
    BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, yeah I guess I should have looked around more prior to posting that. Seems like the science is not settled ;)

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• Options
    edited July 2021

More like whatever works for you. Add a breeze and all bets are off.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

My torch takes care of this

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bad habit of over-lighting the foot and turning the cigar a little bitter. Probably because I am too concerned with achieving and even light and burn. :(

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ soft-flame lighter... after watching this video (sorry @VegasFrank) this has pretty much become my technique, except I start w/ a single-flame torch for the first part and switch out to a soft-flame for the actual lighting.

https://youtu.be/I7qeAtjRlVc

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

I will allow the video, since it is not a @Scotch_n_Smoke production.

Every single server I smoke, I smoke outside. Soft flame isn't really an option. Plus I find it keeping a soft flame lighter like a Bic ignited for 10 or 15 seconds turns the top of it so hot that I burn my fingers.

I light the cigar by toasting the wrapper, not the filler, because blowing fire with a jet into the filler pushes soot down through the cigar, giving it that bitter char. After I toast the top edge of the wrapper, I hold the flame next to the foot but not touching it, and then draw in the heat to the filler by taking draws.

Doing this allows me to light a lancero or a @CommanderDuke1_ special with a single flame, even in breezy conditions.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScotchnSmoke said:
    Damn @VegasFrank I've been gone for over a year and you're still roasting me? LMAO!

A year ain't nothing. Fabulous flameouts live forever and provide comical reference material for us in many years to come. And the fact that you are here again is just gonna add gas to the smoldering remains. LMAO back at ya.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScotchnSmoke said:
    Damn @VegasFrank I've been gone for over a year and you're still roasting me? LMAO!

Welcome back buddy!! Hope you stick around!

• Options

@ScotchnSmoke said:

Well, you still deserve roasting. I still toast cam about his minor league hockey club and Patrick over his alarm clock and Ricky over....yeah. however, I promised you a noob trade and I'll keep my promise. You still down to put down those perdomos and smoke some real shīt?

Don't look ↑