Home Cigar 101

Sea Salt

just realized the salt I have is Sea Salt, does this work the exact same for the Salt test?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    It should. I think the only difference would be the grain and the iodine content, though I'm not sure.
  • thanks, I also think it should be the same, just hoping to get that confirmed here.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Just make sure you adjust for elevation. Sea salt will give you what would be 75% at sea level.
  • urbino:
    Just make sure you adjust for elevation. Sea salt will give you what would be 75% at sea level.
    lmao, thanks for the input
    Always happy to help.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    i wonder what kosher salt would give you then....

• kuzi16:
    urbino:

Nothing,, LOL

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jon00jon:

kuzi16:
    urbino:

Nothing,, LOL

...but using it is a mitzva.
    Such meshugaas.
  • Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the salt test?
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Henry1:
    The salt test is used to calibrate a hygrometer.

So here’s what you’ll need to perform this simple experiment: (1) Distilled water (purchased from any grocery store) (2) Coffee stirrer (or other thin, clean object with which to stir) (3) Bottle cap (Snapple bottle caps work perfectly) (4) Empty wide-mouth jar with lid (like an old mayonnaise jar) (5) Tablespoon of plain table salt (I suggest Mortons – it’s made in Chicago) (6) Your hygrometer (duh) Place the tablespoon of salt within the bottle cap and slowly add distilled water to the salt while stirring with the coffee stirrer. Only add just enough water to moisten the salt so that it becomes a thick paste. Do not add enough water to dissolve the salt! Place the bottle cap with salt gently into your wide-mouth jar and add your hygrometer. Make certain the sensor is exposed and is not blocked by the sides of the jar. Seal the jar so there are no leaks and put it in a place out of direct sunlight and with a stable, cool temperature (like your closet). Leave the setup undisturbed for a minimum of eight hours. After that, check the reading on the hygrometer through the glass jar – it should read on or near 75 percent relative humidity. Due to the salt paste reacting with the confined air, the ambient relative humidity within the jar will be exactly 75 percent. Most inexpensive hygrometers are only accurate to within 3 percent, so do not be surprised if yours reads 72 or 78 percent. Whatever it reads plus or minus our 75 percent benchmark is the amount of error of your hygrometer. If your hygrometer has an adjustment potentiometer then, by all means, try to tweak it to exactly 75 percent relative humidity. You should repeat the salt calibration test after making any adjustments. If your hygrometer can’t be adjusted but the reading is close, then my advice is to not worry about it; just remember that your hygrometer is X percent off – either high or low. If the reading is grossly in error and you are unable to adjust it, you need to replace it. Once you confirm your hygrometer’s accuracy and maintain a relative humidity of about 65 percent in your humidor, your cigars will age properly and be in peak condition when you’re ready to partake in their delicious flavors. Happy smoking
  • Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    rwheelwright:
    Henry1:

So here’s what you’ll need to perform this simple experiment: (1) Distilled water (purchased from any grocery store) (2) Coffee stirrer (or other thin, clean object with which to stir) (3) Bottle cap (Snapple bottle caps work perfectly) (4) Empty wide-mouth jar with lid (like an old mayonnaise jar) (5) Tablespoon of plain table salt (I suggest Mortons – it’s made in Chicago) (6) Your hygrometer (duh) Place the tablespoon of salt within the bottle cap and slowly add distilled water to the salt while stirring with the coffee stirrer. Only add just enough water to moisten the salt so that it becomes a thick paste. Do not add enough water to dissolve the salt! Place the bottle cap with salt gently into your wide-mouth jar and add your hygrometer. Make certain the sensor is exposed and is not blocked by the sides of the jar. Seal the jar so there are no leaks and put it in a place out of direct sunlight and with a stable, cool temperature (like your closet). Leave the setup undisturbed for a minimum of eight hours. After that, check the reading on the hygrometer through the glass jar – it should read on or near 75 percent relative humidity. Due to the salt paste reacting with the confined air, the ambient relative humidity within the jar will be exactly 75 percent. Most inexpensive hygrometers are only accurate to within 3 percent, so do not be surprised if yours reads 72 or 78 percent. Whatever it reads plus or minus our 75 percent benchmark is the amount of error of your hygrometer. If your hygrometer has an adjustment potentiometer then, by all means, try to tweak it to exactly 75 percent relative humidity. You should repeat the salt calibration test after making any adjustments. If your hygrometer can’t be adjusted but the reading is close, then my advice is to not worry about it; just remember that your hygrometer is X percent off – either high or low. If the reading is grossly in error and you are unable to adjust it, you need to replace it. Once you confirm your hygrometer’s accuracy and maintain a relative humidity of about 65 percent in your humidor, your cigars will age properly and be in peak condition when you’re ready to partake in their delicious flavors. Happy smoking
    Thanks rwheelright. Thats a very handy thing to know.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    urbino:

A loan.
    LOL I always used non-iodized kosher salt when I do the salt test. Just my preference. I'm below sea level so I would want my calibration to be off ... and me Jewish step mother would probably disown me for not using Kosher salt in anything.

Speaking of which she made a bad @ss Matzah ball soup the other night. MMMMMM now all I want is some lox and bagels
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    LOL I always used non-iodized kosher salt when I do the salt test. Just my preference. I'm below sea level so I would want my calibration to be off ... and me Jewish step mother would probably disown me for not using Kosher salt in anything.

Speaking of which she made a bad @ss Matzah ball soup the other night. MMMMMM now all I want is some lox and bagels
    By this point, henry is probably way past caring about the salt test.. Travel to Chicago for salt, worry about elevations, and if a rabbi was present during the mining process. Jeeze.
    Double post
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:

By this point, henry is probably way past caring about the salt test.. Travel to Chicago for salt, worry about elevations, and if a rabbi was present during the mining process. Jeeze.
    Are you offering to provide a place to stay for all of this kas?
    madurofan:
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:

All are always welcome..but we have to smoke in the garage, or at a local bar that still let's people smoke in a closed in patio. I have plenty of beer, cigars, and salt.
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:

All are always welcome..but we have to smoke in the garage, or at a local bar that still let's people smoke in a closed in patio. I have plenty of beer, cigars, and salt.
    Rabbi?
    ...you never know who will show up.
    kaspera79:
    ...you never know who will show up.
    sweet. I'm down.
    Excellent. You can finally get that bris you've been talking about.
    urbino:
    Excellent. You can finally get that bris you've been talking about.
    The only thing getting clipped will be cigars, urbi.
    Seems like a waste of a perfectly good rabbi.
    urbino:
    Seems like a waste of a perfectly good rabbi.
    Yeah, it is but I don't want to see any of that after a quick google search, they do that when your young for a reason..
  • rwheelright--  you have a pm
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    rwheelwright:
    Henry1:

would this work with a small tupperware bowl that seals or would the plastic be a problem and will it seal well enough. Inquiring minds would like to know ...
    Yep. That's what I use, gm.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thank you my brother from another mother ...:)
    Did you just call me a basturd?