Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone in healthcare?

Just wondering if anyone in the group is in healthcare in any way. RN, LPN, Paramedic, anything like that. I'm an RN and though I enjoy it, It is an extremely taxing job on your mind and body. I've been an RN for almost 19 years now. Who else is in healthcare? Tell me about your job.

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I'm an LPN at a walk in clinic, basically people just walk in to be seen. We do not make appointments. Have alot of peds and geriatrics, rashes, stuff like that. I am however going to get into P.A. school and become a physians assistant. Thats my goal anyway.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    The ColonelThe Colonel Posts: 206
    Physical Therapist, second career after retiring from 22 years in the Coast Guard..after 12 years in the clinic have move on to Patient Safety Program Manager.. which is primarily education, quality/safety improvement and monitoring outcomes.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    LPNs work as hard as an RN and do almost the same thing I've always thought. PA school will be great!
  • Options
    The Colonel:
    Physical Therapist, second career after retiring from 22 years in the Coast Guard..after 12 years in the clinic have move on to Patient Safety Program Manager.. which is primarily education, quality/safety improvement and monitoring outcomes.
    PT is in high demand these days!!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I'm a tech at a compounding pharmacy.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    Paramedic. I think I will be moving on eventually. Always wanted to be a MD, but feared I would hate being in school for half my life... but I think after proving to myself I can pull down 100 hours or more a week for a year solid, I can get through it... My overall goals are to open my own practice and do that half the year, while I do charity care the other half, or as much as is feasible for me. Too many people go without even basic care, and I want to fix that. Well, that's my hope anyways. Travel the country, help people, learn new stuff.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I install and repair medical equipment (cardiac monitors) in hospitals all over VA. I also work on defibs are various rescue squads.
  • Options
    Salem:
    The Colonel:
    Yes.. and absolutely loved the profession.. but, it can be physically stressful.. and as I approached 60 my back and hands recommended a change..
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    My Dr office uses PA's . My favorite one left and got a better job. She was the best doc I ever had. Still talk to her on facebook. She **** at me about the cigars and beers all the time.
  • Options
    Krieger:
    Paramedic. I think I will be moving on eventually. Always wanted to be a MD, but feared I would hate being in school for half my life... but I think after proving to myself I can pull down 100 hours or more a week for a year solid, I can get through it... My overall goals are to open my own practice and do that half the year, while I do charity care the other half, or as much as is feasible for me. Too many people go without even basic care, and I want to fix that. Well, that's my hope anyways. Travel the country, help people, learn new stuff.
    You can do it!! My daughter is in her first year of med school. She loves it, but it is hard. You have some very commendable goals.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    My Dr office uses PA's . My favorite one left and got a better job. She was the best doc I ever had. Still talk to her on facebook. She **** at me about the cigars and beers all the time.
    It seems like PAs spend more time with you than an MD does.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salem:
    Direwolf:

It's all about the bottom line, isn't it?
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Salem:
    Direwolf:

It's all about the bottom line, isn't it?
    That's right, lol!
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    I install and repair medical equipment (cardiac monitors) in hospitals all over VA. I also work on defibs are various rescue squads.
    That's a very important job!!
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Pharmaceuticals are big time. As I'm sure you know, lol!!
  • Options
    The Colonel:
    Salem:
    The Colonel:
    Yes.. and absolutely loved the profession.. but, it can be physically stressful.. and as I approached 60 my back and hands recommended a change..
    Oh how I know what you mean!!!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife is a medical coder she hates her company but when she was having her mastectomy and going thru chemo and all that it turned into a life saver. They pretty much covered everything that my insurance didn't , kept us out of bankruptcy.
  • Options
    I've been fortunate to find a Dr, and my PA who care about my health and not the bills. Had a big infection in the veins and arteries of my legs earlier this year. The PA ( Christie) gave me her personal cell number to call her anytime I was heading to the Er. She really kept, and still keeps an eye on me.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Salem:
    docbp87:
    Yeah, and the pharmacy I work for is one of the highest volume retail pharmacies on the east coast (we do between 1,000 and 1,200 scripts a day). It's a zoo, but I love it.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Salem:
    docbp87:
    Yeah, and the pharmacy I work for is one of the highest volume retail pharmacies on the east coast (we do between 1,000 and 1,200 scripts a day). It's a zoo, but I love it.
    I used to work shipping for a Pharmaceutical company. Luckily I got out of there before the FDA put them on lockdown for awhile.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    My wife is a medical coder she hates her company but when she was having her mastectomy and going thru chemo and all that it turned into a life saver. They pretty much covered everything that my insurance didn't , kept us out of bankruptcy.
    That's amazing! I hope your wife is doing fine now.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    I've been fortunate to find a Dr, and my PA who care about my health and not the bills. Had a big infection in the veins and arteries of my legs earlier this year. The PA ( Christie) gave me her personal cell number to call her anytime I was heading to the Er. She really kept, and still keeps an eye on me.
    You're lucky. It's hard to find one that is caring, but they do exist.
  • Options
    I think she adopted me because I'm goin through everything by myself lol
  • Options
    Great post.. just when I thought all we had in common was cigars... any other folks work in a VA Hospital... I am out of Togus (Near Augusta) Maine...
  • Options
    The Colonel:
    Great post.. just when I thought all we had in common was cigars... any other folks work in a VA Hospital... I am out of Togus (Near Augusta) Maine...
    Admirable job to have!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salem:
    Rhamlin:
    That's amazing! I hope your wife is doing fine now.
    Going on 7 years cancer free so we've been blessed.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    smoke em if you got em:
    Interesting . What kind of training would one need to get into this field? Can one just get a certification or does one need a 4 year degree?
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Paramedic/Fire Fighter. I've been in the field for 14 yrs now, with the last six as a Paramedic. I'm currently awaiting for acceptance to med school, but if that doesn't work out I'll be going into a Nurse Anesthesist program. My wife was an EMT/Fire Fighter for 10 yrs before she changed careers and became a licensed PTA. My oldest son, who lives in Hawaii, has decided to become an EMT as well. Guess it runs in the family...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salem:
    Just wondering if anyone in the group is in healthcare in any way. RN, LPN, Paramedic, anything like that. I'm an RN and though I enjoy it, It is an extremely taxing job on your mind and body. I've been an RN for almost 19 years now. Who else is in healthcare? Tell me about your job.
    I've been an RN for almost 17 years now, (started college at 35) 15 of those in either ICU or ER. It's interesting that you mention the toll on the body, as well as the mind, because a lot of people don't understand that. I interviewed for a job once at a company that was going to need an RN, after turning down an offer to work 3x as many hours as I'd been working, for about 1/2 the pay, the fellow says "You're a nurse! How hard could it be? What, you have to put a band-aid on every once in a while? If someone's missing an arm you have to take the BP on the other arm? I'd work your piddly little ER job AND this one."

I never said a word, just got up and walked out. But, for the record, I've done all manner of construction, worked as a truck driver, Tank crewman in the Army, and more, and NONE of those jobs were as mentally or physically demanding as what I do now.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Toombes:
    Paramedic/Fire Fighter. I've been in the field for 14 yrs now, with the last six as a Paramedic. I'm currently awaiting for acceptance to med school, but if that doesn't work out I'll be going into a Nurse Anesthesist program. My wife was an EMT/Fire Fighter for 10 yrs before she changed careers and became a licensed PTA. My oldest son, who lives in Hawaii, has decided to become an EMT as well. Guess it runs in the family...
    Your experience will help you get into med school. It's a HUGE job doing all the things it takes to get into med school. My daughter just got done doing it all. Good Luck!!