Options

Anyone in healthcare?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Amos Umwhat:
    Salem:
    Just wondering if anyone in the group is in healthcare in any way. RN, LPN, Paramedic, anything like that. I'm an RN and though I enjoy it, It is an extremely taxing job on your mind and body. I've been an RN for almost 19 years now. Who else is in healthcare? Tell me about your job.
    I've been an RN for almost 17 years now, (started college at 35) 15 of those in either ICU or ER. It's interesting that you mention the toll on the body, as well as the mind, because a lot of people don't understand that. I interviewed for a job once at a company that was going to need an RN, after turning down an offer to work 3x as many hours as I'd been working, for about 1/2 the pay, the fellow says "You're a nurse! How hard could it be? What, you have to put a band-aid on every once in a while? If someone's missing an arm you have to take the BP on the other arm? I'd work your piddly little ER job AND this one."

I never said a word, just got up and walked out. But, for the record, I've done all manner of construction, worked as a truck driver, Tank crewman in the Army, and more, and NONE of those jobs were as mentally or physically demanding as what I do now.
    I believe I would have had some choice words for that man. The nerve! I'd like to see him work ER......he'd be crying the first day with that attitude, lol!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I was working towards an MD many years ago actually. I had many conversations with several PA friends of mine and even a few MD's (I have many friends in the field) about going into the field. They convinced me not too as the way the industry was going. After many years and talking to many of them about it on many occasions I'm glad I didn't. I have two cousins that are nurses and three others that are dental hygienists. Thought about that, but I make more money now than they do so I'm happy. I do hope that at some point the medical industry gets back to the patient rather than the industry.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Schrooz:
    smoke em if you got em:
    I install and repair medical equipment (cardiac monitors) in hospitals all over VA. I also work on defibs are various rescue squads.
    Interesting . What kind of training would one need to get into this field? Can one just get a certification or does one need a 4 year degree?
    PM to you.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Pm to ya smoke em.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Pm to ya smoke em.
    Back at ya bro. Sorry I didnt reply sooner.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks man.
    One God, One Truth