Home General Discussion
Options

How long have you been smoking cigars?

Well, you know I just started smoking cigars in December, and thanks to this wonderful forum, I found a wealth of information on cigars at the beginning. As a matter of fact, I started posting here before I even took my first puff!! Well I'm interested in how long you have been smoking cigars. And when you did start, did you have a source of information like this forum to go to and if so, what was it? I'm really interested.

Comments

• Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    2 years
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    does a first try count or are you looking for a first time really enjoying it.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    lcpleel:
    does a first try count or are you looking for a first time really enjoying it.
    :) enjoying it I guess. :)
  • Options
    lol okay 12 years ago right after bootcamp for the Marines.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    since late in 2005.
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    8 months
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    Did ya'll know what you were doing? Like how to cut the cigar, how to light it, etc?
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Bought my first humidor in like 2003 or so, so we'll say since then.

Got a little more into it about 5 years back and then alot more into after joining the forums.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Salem:
    Did ya'll know what you were doing? Like how to cut the cigar, how to light it, etc?
    nope, I just fumbled my way through it. But remember we're guys, asking how to do something is a sign of weakness . . . . hahahaha. Its like asking for directions or reading the directions before putting something together.
  • Options
    Salem:
    I used my teeth and my new usmc zippo. LOL I had no idea!
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    About 40 min, but its almost gone!
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    About 40 min, but its almost gone!
    Well played sir lol. As for me 2 years being serious, but I had one on occasion for 3 years before that. 5 total?
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Since November for me.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Only a couple years for everyday smoking. Before that I was just an occasional smoker (for about 10 years all together).
  • Options
    pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    in April it will be 1 year. thanks to youtube i knew what i was doing. cutting,storage,lighting,retrohaling and the list goes on. you will be surprise to see all the vids they have
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    A year for me!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Salem:
    hell no. the good folks on the old cigar.com forum (way back when it was AmBack) helped me out a ton. those guys and a ton of time sitting in front of a computer soaking in everything i could get my eyes on that had to do with cigars.

there is one other person that helped. he is now a real life friend and we even went to Nicaragua together.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    9months of serious smoking and "collecting" and then just recreational before that
  • Options
    I've been smoking cigars since I was 18. I've been enjoying them for about seven years. As for knowing what I am doing... It's funny how I know the exact date, 2011-02-18. That is the date I joined this forum and became a BOTL on the best forum ever for a cigar lover.

There is only one place I have learned more from or gained the comradeship of people in, that being a total of two places (the US Army and my Fraternity), that I have here. At first I felt like a moron asking questions and not knowing how to navigate the site. Now I just think to myself, 'self, that was a dumb @$$ question and you could have figured it if you looked a little harder.'

More than anything I love the fact that I can get on here and 'waste' a couple of hours a day and it is actually not wasted. I wouldn't change anything about this forum (people wise) as everyone here has their place and for the most part is enjoyable. Sometimes even the nicest people get a hair up their rear about something.

As always, I will close saying this; if it wasn't for the SOTL (Siblings of the Leaf) here The DCCC would not even exist, to include my avatar! I appreciate as always the generosity of knowledge and smokes for the soldiers that I receive from people here on a never ending basis.

--Amen
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a total of 10 yrs here and there. I really got into it again 4/5 yrs ago.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 3 years, give or take a bit.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started enjoying, and regularly smoking cigars in Jan. 2010.
    But I didn't start participating and regularly visiting this forum since last November....I feel like I've learned more from the folks on this forum in the past few months than I had in the previous year+ of regularly smoking cigars.

I can spend hours on end reading posts in the review thread and I've learned about so many brands that I never would have known if it wasn't for the BOTL/SOTL that post on here. It's awesome to have a place with so many knowledgeable "regulars" who post reviews and advice.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    15 yrs no problem cutting into a box of sweets.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    1980 - ish? White Owls, I think, then Tueros and others. Smoked my first ISOM stick probably before 1982. I feel so OLD!

there was barely an internet in those days, and nothing like a "forum" even existed. All you had to go on was what you saw in movies or things others would tell you. I'm still learning and hope to continue to learn for another 30+ years.

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    lcpleel:
    Aha! You fell for the "Smoke em if you got em!" at your first duty station too, huh? LOL

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I came out my mama with a Fuente in one hand and a Pepsi in the other! LOL

Seriously, about four years. Had a good friend show me the basics (how to cut it, light it and FER CHRISSAKES DONT INHALE!!!), but got smarter real quick after I found the forums here.

• Options
    The Sniper:
    lcpleel:
    Aha! You fell for the "Smoke em if you got em!" at your first duty station too, huh? LOL

Smoke em if you got em Was in combat training and it was the worse thing because I had so much... Lol that was a FML moment
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    My first cigar was in June 2009, an Ashton Cabinet. In September 2009 I contacted the person who gave me my first cigar to get more info on cigars (I tend to want to research anything thoroughly before I start). He referred me to Cigar.com and the forums. This was the only place I needed to go for information. After I did enough research, I became a customer. Of course I was brand new (and am still learning) so didn't know anything about the cigar experience.

Salem, here's a link you my find interesting.

• Options
    camgfs:
    1980 - ish? White Owls, I think, then Tueros and others. Smoked my first ISOM stick probably before 1982. I feel so OLD!

there was barely an internet in those days, and nothing like a "forum" even existed. All you had to go on was what you saw in movies or things others would tell you. I'm still learning and hope to continue to learn for another 30+ years.

I wont tell you what I was doing in 1980... actually I can't! I wasn't even born yet!
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Had my first in college, which was over 20 yrs ago. Fell out of the habit but picked it back up around 3-4 yrs ago. My first cigar was from a small boutique shop in Tampa. Some little dude with a corner shop, rolling all by his lonesome. He used Cognac during the curing process, lovely...