Home Cigar 101
Options

Looking For Sumatra Wrappers?

ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
I have tried a few Sumatra wrappers, some being the Forum Blend(only 1 left :(, and the Hoyo Dark Knight and really seemed to like them. Can anybody else give a few recommendations to try. Yes I know the Beard can hook me up with an email, but I was hoping to see if I can find some other fans out there.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Litto Gomez uses Sumatra wrappers on a fair amount of LFD cigars, I prefer the Sumatra to the maduro. I'm still a fan of the original La Herencia Cubana, which uses a Sumatra as well. Graycliff uses Sumatra wrappers on several blends too.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    like the tat. ambos mumbos sumatra, have some le roloba sumatras but havent tried them yet
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    To add to what Joe has pointed out, there is also the 5V Classic, God of Fire Don Carlos (although a bit expensive), Fuente Magnum R, Ashton, VSG, San Miguel (being discontinued), Cigar.com Sun Grown and Cuban Label, Cuesta Rey Sun Grown, RP Sun Grown, Kristoff Sumatra, Upmann and Upmann 1844 Reserve, La Gloria Cubana and a bunch of others.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Try out the San Miguel and La Aroma de Cuba EE. The AVO Domaine is also a really good sumatra.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Man O' War Armada.

best sumatra wrapped cigar out there, imho.

I prefer the corona size. Ask the Beard... he can hook you up with some for much less than the toros go for. And honestly, I prefer the corona even at the same price...
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Armada is good......nothing is better than the RP Edge Sumatra.....if you can find the originals anywhere, they are unbelievable and the new ones arent too shabby either.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    San Lotano (being discontinued)

Wait, what? Do you have more intel on this? (Dunno how I missed this info)
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Vulchor:
    Armada is good......nothing is better than the RP Edge Sumatra.....if you can find the originals anywhere, they are unbelievable and the new ones arent too shabby either.
    Gotta disagree with this... I LOVE the original RP Edge sumatras... but the new ones aren't even close. If I had never smoked one of the old ones, I might be OK with the new ones. BUT, since I have in fact smoked the original ones, I just can't smoke the newer released ones without being hugely disappointed... to me, it's kinda like smoking an original release Gurkha Master Select and then smoking one from the past year. I just can't help but think they are in it for the money, or they would've taken the time to reproduce the blend correctly...

but that's just my humble opinion. I have lost my faith in RP just like I have in Gurkha. Of course, there are exceptions, but they are just that... exceptions. By general rule, I don't care for either brand anymore.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I'm a big fan of AJ's Ecuadorian-Sumatra hybrid. Your find it on the Ccom Cuban Label, LHC, and the Morrow Castle.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    skweekz:
    rwheelwright:
    San Lotano (being discontinued)

Wait, what? Do you have more intel on this? (Dunno how I missed this info)
    Did I put San Lotano? Oops, Meant San Miguel. Let me correct! Sorry about that!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Try out the San Miguel and La Aroma de Cuba EE. The AVO Domaine is also a really good sumatra.
    beatnic:
    I'm a big fan of AJ's Ecuadorian-Sumatra hybrid. Your find it on the Ccom Cuban Label, LHC, and the Morrow Castle.
    I gotta agree with these guys on the San Miguel and Morro Castle, these are both great (and affordable) smokes. Both blends are pretty dang similar too so for the price you may want to go with Morro Castle. Also the San Miguel is being discontinued. (And I was under the impression that these blends had the same wrapper since they're both AJ blends?? Can anyone confirm this?)

Check out the DE Natural, Clean Robusto too. It's another real good cigar with a sumatran wrapper.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I'm a fan of sumatra wrappers myself, its one of my favorites for a medium bodied experience and there are quite a few good ones that won't break the bank. I would agree with everyone's selections here, but a few in my usual rotation are

1. Avo Domaine
    2. La Aroma De Cuba EE
    3. La Gloria Cubana Original
    4. 5 Vegas Classic
    5. Morro Castle.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Tatuaje NHC Capa Especial, if you can find them. Also, the upcoming Tatuaje Cojonu 2012 Sumatra is good.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you know im gunna show my love for an Avo Domaine. great smoke right there.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    if you can find it, the rocky pootell edge sumatra is actually a great sumatra. im not much of an RP fan but those are great
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I agree with Morro Castle, I also like Kristoff Sumatra, I am sad that San Migel is going away it is also good.
  • Options
    +1 on the Morro Castle. Absoutely fantastic smoke. I also like the San Miguel and am sorry it's going away.

But Morro Castle is partly the reason I think San Miguel never caught on fire. Morro Castle is so darn good and only for a little bit more and is a lot more balanced. The San Miguel is nice for the blast of pepper that is front-loaded on the stick, but Morro Castle has overall more flavor and complexity.

• Options
    Don't forget about the RP Vintage 92 and Decade both use Ecudorian sumatra wrappers. The 92 is my all time favorite cigar.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    My favorite sumatra was the Forum Blend Natural. Awesome smoke, I don't have any more left. I have one Forum Blend maduro left, but I preferred the sumatra.

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    How about Diamond Crown Maximus? I had my first last week on vacation. I thought it was a really nice smoke.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    KCW:
    How about Diamond Crown Maximus? I had my first last week on vacation. I thought it was a really nice smoke.
    /////Good smoke, but I thought it has an Ecuador Sun Grown wrapper.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    KCW:
    /////Good smoke, but I thought it has an Ecuador Sun Grown wrapper.
    Hmm. I put it in my phone App and it had it as a Sumatra. I checked c.com and it says "Dominican Sumatra". But I also see where it says "El Bajo Sun Grown wrapper from Ecuador". I'm confused. Whatever it is, I liked it.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    I was gonna say the samething. However, I do like the new releases of the Edge Sumatra. I'd also give the Renaissance a try.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Edge Sumatra, available through your friendly ccom rep, are great! I'm a huge sumatra fan and that one is one of my favs
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The Decade is a great cigar IMHO ...
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Not that this post does any good (as the cigar is no longer in production) but Sol Cubano used to produce a sumatra that was ~very~ tasty. A sad day when that line dropped. :(
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Vulchor:
    Gotta disagree with this... I LOVE the original RP Edge sumatras... but the new ones aren't even close. If I had never smoked one of the old ones, I might be OK with the new ones. BUT, since I have in fact smoked the original ones, I just can't smoke the newer released ones without being hugely disappointed... to me, it's kinda like smoking an original release Gurkha Master Select and then smoking one from the past year. I just can't help but think they are in it for the money, or they would've taken the time to reproduce the blend correctly...

but that's just my humble opinion. I have lost my faith in RP just like I have in Gurkha. Of course, there are exceptions, but they are just that... exceptions. By general rule, I don't care for either brand anymore.
    I think the new one is a pretty good cigar in its own right...not great, but good. I agree that a comparison to the old ones shouldnt even be made----not even the same name if you ask me, but they are still OK. Overall however I am with you about RP and Gurkha. I will smoke the Edge occasionally and Decade on rare occasions. Will also hit up a Centurian on occasion. As for the other 27,376 lines by RP (and his other siblings) and Gurkha-----Im over it too....................BTW, The original RP 1992 Vintage was also a FANTASTIC stick.....Now, a little better than a poop.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    drpepperdude:
    +1 on the Morro Castle. Absoutely fantastic smoke. I also like the San Miguel and am sorry it's going away.

But Morro Castle is partly the reason I think San Miguel never caught on fire. Morro Castle is so darn good and only for a little bit more and is a lot more balanced. The San Miguel is nice for the blast of pepper that is front-loaded on the stick, but Morro Castle has overall more flavor and complexity.

Given the weekly special...thought i would bump this. Never had the San Miguel, nor know what they used to sell for, but they are the weekend blitz. Just enabling...for whatever it is worth.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearb:
    Given the weekly special...thought i would bump this. Never had the San Miguel, nor know what they used to sell for, but they are the weekend blitz. Just enabling...for whatever it is worth.
    Good find, just saw that too ...
    Thanks bearb!!

IMO that's a steal .... about 2/3 of what the "closeout" box pricing was when these were discontinued.
    Going to check stock at home tonight, might have to grab a mazo (or 2) :-D

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    La aurora,mb2 and the vsg
    Money can't buy taste