Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidity Beads 101

13»

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Have you calibrated your hygrometer? What's the ambient humidity (the humidity outside the box) where the humidor is stored? You may just need to open the box a bit (30 mins or so) and let it come down. I've had no luck in getting un-charged beads to lower the humidity.
  • Options
    Maddy -

employ those 70% fully un-charged as a high-humidity backup mechanism the way kuzi does.

I actually have some use for 70% beads (I use them to keep my stick-a-dor sponges humidified), but I don't have any 65% to spare at the moment... if my inventory continues to grow, however, I'll be picking up more 65%, and I'll get some extra for a swap.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Maddy -

employ those 70% fully un-charged as a high-humidity backup mechanism the way kuzi does.

I actually have some use for 70% beads (I use them to keep my stick-a-dor sponges humidified), but I don't have any 65% to spare at the moment... if my inventory continues to grow, however, I'll be picking up more 65%, and I'll get some extra for a swap.
    Thats what I've been trying to let them do but they won't keep the RH below 74% sooo
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    My experience is the same as maddy and duty's. This business of beads soaking up humidity seems to be very hit or miss.
  • Options
    Sounds good btw duty ... if you wanna get some extra 65 I'll trade you for my 70, if you get it loose I'm going to keep the tubes if thats cool?!?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Sounds good btw duty ... if you wanna get some extra 65 I'll trade you for my 70, if you get it loose I'm going to keep the tubes if thats cool?!?
    yeah, maddy, I'll do that.. I'll buy a half pound of 65's... I'll send you 4 oz of those for 4 oz of the 70's. I don't know that I need that many, but experience has taught me that I will. Of course, this probably won't be until the winter, so if you can't wait that long, or if you find something to do with them in the meantime, have at it.
  • Options
    You live in Charlotte, what qualifies as winter?
  • Options
    Well, we really don't get winter here until Jan/Feb.. a day or two of snow and that's about it.. but I was thinking more along the lines of the official calendar seasons.
  • Options
    Sounds good if I haven't bought 65%'s by then. If I have maybe we'll trade them for a couple sticks.