Home Cigar 101
Options

the Noob Toob

13»

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it didn't take long to get the knack of slicing the cap off a cigar with my pocket knife. I hold the stick in my left, knife in my right, thumb under, blade over, then spin the stick cunter clockwise. Pops the cap off slicker'n deer guts on a doorknob. I get a way fuller draw than I did with a punch, and a much neater end than I did with a guillotine. Simplicity itself. I'll bet this is how grandpa did it.

Then the other day, I run into a Cusano which cut funny. Left a couple skinny triangular shreds dangling off the cap. Upon inspection I discover that this cigar is wrapped the wrong way around. All the others, if you held the stick cap up, you'd see the wrapper ascending round to the left. This Cusano went round to the right. Ought to have turned it clockwise when I cut it. Since then, I have examined all sticks before cutting. All the others were rolled ascending left.

Question: Does this mean it was wrapped by a left-handed cigar roller? Or is it a brand thing?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it may just be how that particular roller does it.
  • Options
    Hey, I like that robustojoe.com which someone mentioned here. Very informative for a noob. I even liked the videos (really slide shows) of cigar box making, cigar rolling, and such. As simple a thing as the picture of a cigar plant (er, I mean tobacco, I guess) with the different leafs labeled... kewl. Got more sites like that?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Got more sites like that?
    yeah... this site has it. in fact, off the top of my head i have two threads that can help i hope:
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/240387.aspx
    AND
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/239734.aspx
    the first one is way more informative than the second as far as actual cigar production information goes.

there are a few other threads around here that will help with production info. or just feel free to ask.
  • Options
    My smoking skills have improved tons, thanks to your help here. I slice the cap off neatly, achieve a good draw, light without having to spit, and enjoy it more.

When I started here, I was sucking through too small a punch hole, like an idjut, making a long conical cherry, and spitting too much. Burning the stick instead of smoldering it.

Now I consistently get north of an hour and a half out of a five inch tight packed robusto. I'll only drop ash twice... each ash about an inch and a half long. When it drops, I have a wee groove just inside the wrappers, then a short cherry that doesn't stick out of the crater. Not done until my thumb feels heat from a little bitty stub.

So the best things I have learned so far is how to pop the cap off, how to light it gently, and patience.

Thanks.

• Options
    That stogieguys.com is a fine web site for a noob to learn something. They have a Cigar University at the upper right. You can pick your level and start there.