Home Cigar 101
Options

Are Xikar cutters worth the expense?

Comments

• Options
    0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    let me go ahead and get in on the PM for $18 goodies, will someone send me the link please - thanks
  • Options
    Random GuyRandom Guy Posts: 3
    could someone PM me the $18 Xikar link please?
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    same, please!
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Me too please.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Well, if the deals still around after all these months, send me a PM for that cheap xikar too
  • Options
    G-ZowG-Zow Posts: 7
    Ah, I had just lost my cheapo cigar cutter the other day, so I guess this is the perfect time to upgrade, anyone want to throw that $18 Xi2 link at me?

And what do you guys think about Xikar's cigar punches? i've never tried a punch, but I was also looking at those.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I'm gonna have to sound like a broken record. can i get the link
  • Options
    I got a punch at my B&M for 5 bucks when I first started smoking. I can't think of anything xikar could improve upon it...It's still cutting and it doesn't tear anything...just a standard bullet punch. I wouldn't spend the 20-30 bucks for a xikar punch if it was me.
  • Options

Well, since there's no PM, I assume the deals dead - really too bad :(

nsezell:
    I got a punch at my B&M for 5 bucks when I first started smoking. I can't think of anything xikar could improve upon it...It's still cutting and it doesn't tear anything...just a standard bullet punch. I wouldn't spend the 20-30 bucks for a xikar punch if it was me.
    IMH experience, the xikar cuts as well as a new cheapo; difference between the 2 being that the xikar doesn't dull as quickly, and the re-sharpening is free, whereas the cheapo needs to be re-bought after some time
  • Options
    well, I got my cheapo about 2 years ago and I've cut at least 100 sticks with it, it still cuts fine...I'm not sure how long it will take for a punch to dull on average, but mine is still good...
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    nsezell:
    well, I got my cheapo about 2 years ago and I've cut at least 100 sticks with it, it still cuts fine...I'm not sure how long it will take for a punch to dull on average, but mine is still good...

You only smoke about 1 cigar a week or do you use another cut source as well ?
  • Options
    I use my double g-tine (not sure how to spell that) a lot more than my punch. I only use my punch for sticks with a big ring gauge and rounded cap. Other than that, I pull it out occasionally to change it up. I smoke about 3-5 on average a week...fewer during the winter (usually go to a bar for it) and almost 7 a week during the warmer times.
  • Options
    I see..... I usually smoke about 8-12 a week in the summer and about 4-6 a week in the winter...wish I had a good bar close to me , I envy you guys that do ...
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I just checked and don't see the same deal I got in the past. I would assume after all this time its dead.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    After yesterday, I will never buy another cutter or lighter that isn't Xikar. I dropped my 007 punch off the steps of my apartment (second floor). It hit the concrete below and dented the opening badly enough to prevent it from deploying the blade. I sent an email to Xikar about it, telling them exactly what happened so they new it was my fault and not a product defect, and asking about possible repairs. They sent me an answer in a couple of hours and said they would be unable to fix it but would replace it at no cost to me. That is pretty excellent service IMO, especially considering that there was nothing wrong with their product, but it was just a victim of my clumsiness.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    alienmisprint:
    After yesterday, I will never buy another cutter or lighter that isn't Xikar. I dropped my 007 punch off the steps of my apartment (second floor). It hit the concrete below and dented the opening badly enough to prevent it from deploying the blade. I sent an email to Xikar about it, telling them exactly what happened so they new it was my fault and not a product defect, and asking about possible repairs. They sent me an answer in a couple of hours and said they would be unable to fix it but would replace it at no cost to me. That is pretty excellent service IMO, especially considering that there was nothing wrong with their product, but it was just a victim of my clumsiness.
    This has been my experience with them as well. After sending back my Xi3 zebrawood cutter twice, and sending back my 007 for the same reason, they have replaced everything I've sent them with a new version of the same exact piece of equipment. I have a Executive lighter that I have used religiously since November, and it seems that it may be getting a little (I mean a little) gunked up. I'm seriously contemplating buying another one to have in the case I want to send my first one in. I can't see another company that matches that kind of customer service....other than CCOM of course.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I just sent off my Xikar Plunge lighter and less than a week later a brand new one was in my mailbox! This is the first time I've had to send back any of their products (I have a Xi3 cutter, a Pipeline Lighter and of the Plunge).

Hey Brandon if you are in the Emersons in Chesapeake get Kenny to clean it for you, he's a miracle worker with lighters. You won't believe how he ended up with his solid gold Davidoff lighter. A dude got pissed off and threw it at him bc his $800 lighter didn't work, he said if he could make that POS work he could have it. He's been using it for years now.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    madurofan:
    I just sent off my Xikar Plunge lighter and less than a week later a brand new one was in my mailbox! This is the first time I've had to send back any of their products (I have a Xi3 cutter, a Pipeline Lighter and of the Plunge).

Hey Brandon if you are in the Emersons in Chesapeake get Kenny to clean it for you, he's a miracle worker with lighters. You won't believe how he ended up with his solid gold Davidoff lighter. A dude got pissed off and threw it at him bc his $800 lighter didn't work, he said if he could make that POS work he could have it. He's been using it for years now.
    nice...I'm sure I can hold out long enough to go see him in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Maddy, I would have to give that gold lighter a try before I could say it works... =)
  • Options
    Anybody have the XiKar Dbl Guill. cutter that you get here with a $100 order ? Just wondering how anybody thought they work ...
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    gmill880:
    Anybody have the XiKar Dbl Guill. cutter that you get here with a $100 order ? Just wondering how anybody thought they work ...
    I believe that is the mean sardine if i am not mistaken. I hear they are comparable to regular guillotine except you get the awesoem Xikar warranty -- i.e., guillotine cutters for life.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    alienmisprint:

Same here. I actually bought an Xi2 and a Xikar plunge lighter at my local B&M. After only two weeks, my buddy dropped both, and damaged both. I walked into my B&M, told them what happened, and they simply handed my new replacements. "We told you we'd replace them, no matter what - lifetime warranty." were their exact words. I never expected them to take customer damage back though. It made me a customer for life though. That's excellent customer service.
  • Options
    bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    I'm definitely going to get a xikar cutter but not sure which one. I haven't looked in person - just online so can someone tell me the difference between the Xi series besides the cosmetics?
  • Options
    all 4 types have the same blades; the xi3 has "titanium nitride" coating - IMHO it just makes the blades last a bit longer, if anything at all (my $10 pocket knife from Walgreens has a "titanium nitride" coating if it means anything).

xi3 Havana's ($200) have their little handles on the side hand painted.
    xi 3 (non-havana) ($50-$80 depending on where you buy) have your choice of several quality woods as the handles.
    xi2 ($30) uses some sort of composite material for handles.
    xi ($40) I dunno about, though I think it's metal handles
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    If it is the Mean Sardine, it is awesome. I got one as a freebie with my 007 punch, and I use it all the time. As a matter of fact, it is pretty much the only guillotine cutter I use.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    xi3 Havana's ($200) have their little handles on the side hand painted.
    Not painted. They are actually applied and lacquered with authentic cigar labels, Cuban cigar labels I think, but maybe just regular ones. That is why the cost is so much higher, the handles are hand crafted and hand finished.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    gmill880:
    If it is the Mean Sardine, it is awesome. I got one as a freebie with my 007 punch, and I use it all the time. As a matter of fact, it is pretty much the only guillotine cutter I use.

Sweet I need to try one of those ...
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    My Xikar already broke. The spring inside broke and it wouldn't open. I mailed it in to Xikar and had a brand new one back in about 2 weeks. Great service! To answer my own original question, they are well worth the expense.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    A friend of mine actually dropped and broke mine last week. I took it up to my B&M today and they just swapped it out for a brand new one. No shipping, no hastle!
  • Options
    I bought the xikar punch, I love it so far.