• Options
    I Love Lamp..
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Lasabar:
    I like CIGARS!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I have a Mean Sardine also...I believe it works on the larger ring gauges...up to sixty> I also have two of the Xikars, they cut well and feel hefty in your hand. I also have two of the Colibri Firebird cutters, they look great and cut very well. Seems to be better balanced than the Xikar. I have worn out several of the cheaper cutters and believe it or not some of the cheaper ones cut just as well or better than the so-called better cutters.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    I have a Mean Sardine also...I believe it works on the larger ring gauges...up to sixty> I also have two of the Xikars, they cut well and feel hefty in your hand. I also have two of the Colibri Firebird cutters, they look great and cut very well. Seems to be better balanced than the Xikar. I have worn out several of the cheaper cutters and believe it or not some of the cheaper ones cut just as well or better than the so-called better cutters.
    I can't get a hang of the "Firebird" and if you say it's as good if not slightly better than the xikar's I may have to reconsider wanting to buy a Xikar....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I want to get a Palio cutter. Anybody have one and have any feedback?
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    j0z3r:
    I want to get a Palio cutter. Anybody have one and have any feedback?
    I had one for about a week. I originally bought a cuban crafter double guillotine since it was slightly cheaper than the Xikar Xi2. It kept binding, so I took it back and decided to upgrade to the Palio. It was a decent cut, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. It kept unraveling the cap (maybe just wasn't sharp enough). I went back and exchanged it again for the Xikar Xi2, and have had zero problems. Again though, I could have just gotten a bad Palio. They get pretty good reviews from what I've seen.
  • Options
    To me it works just as good and it was half the price of the Xikar cutter.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Not doubting what Cholmes says, but my Palio is the best cutter I have used. Better than the Xikar, IMO, save not quite as "cool". Palio also has the best warranty. Any mass produced item is going to have ones that slip by QC. IMO, the trick is how you address the problem. For instance,on the case that came with my Palio, the stitching on the velcro started to unravel. I sent an email to their customer service. I got an email back from BOTL's VP Marc Aub, asking for my phone and a good time to call. He called and asked a question about which side the velcro was on, as they had since changed this setup and said no worries and a new one was on its way. I am a very satisfied customer.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    One2gofst:
    Palio also has the best warranty.

How can anything have a better warranty than xikar? I don't think there's anything you can do to a cutter that they won't replace except lose it. I've even heard of people taking them apart and people stealing them out of the package they ship back in and they still replace them at no charge.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    nsezell:
    One2gofst:

How can anything have a better warranty than xikar? I don't think there's anything you can do to a cutter that they won't replace except lose it. I've even heard of people taking them apart and people stealing them out of the package they ship back in and they still replace them at no charge.
    Any company that has an exchange, no questions asked warranty is great. Palio obviously has a great one, as mentioned above, but I agree with Nsezell here. I have the xikar plunge lighter as well. i dropped it and the lip that covers the torch when not in use broke. it wouldn't close back after using it. This was through my own fault. i took it back to the B&M I bought it at, explained clearly that it was my fault, and the guy simply took it and handed me another. I looked at his astonished, and he simply said, "I told you we warrantied them for any defects, no questions asked." I am DEFINITELY sold on Xikar and it's warranty.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cholmes8310:
    nsezell:
    One2gofst:

Any company that has an exchange, no questions asked warranty is great. Palio obviously has a great one, as mentioned above, but I agree with Nsezell here. I have the xikar plunge lighter as well. i dropped it and the lip that covers the torch when not in use broke. it wouldn't close back after using it. This was through my own fault. i took it back to the B&M I bought it at, explained clearly that it was my fault, and the guy simply took it and handed me another. I looked at his astonished, and he simply said, "I told you we warrantied them for any defects, no questions asked." I am DEFINITELY sold on Xikar and it's warranty.
    very true. They do have a good warranty. Though I only wish that the xi3 would have a better cutting system as it always seems one side never meets the cigar, rather one side pushes the cigar to the other side and once it makes contact the other blade moves out. Could be just how the thing is held or my own technique...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    very true. They do have a good warranty. Though I only wish that the xi3 would have a better cutting system as it always seems one side never meets the cigar, rather one side pushes the cigar to the other side and once it makes contact the other blade moves out. Could be just how the thing is held or my own technique...
    the blade only goes half way through the hole. this means that the two blades do an equal amount of cutting.
    doesnt it?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    the blade only goes half way through the hole. this means that the two blades do an equal amount of cutting.
    doesnt it?
    eh, true. good point.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    a xikar cutter is on my xmas wishlist. i've noticed a lot of people say the xi2 is the best of the 3 and it's also the cheapest of the 3. any particular reason the xi2 is better than the others? is it more of a personal preference? i use the cheap-o cutters I get from the local B&M so i'm sure any of the xikar will be a massive upgrade from what i've been using.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    dwayne3307:
    a xikar cutter is on my xmas wishlist. i've noticed a lot of people say the xi2 is the best of the 3 and it's also the cheapest of the 3. any particular reason the xi2 is better than the others? is it more of a personal preference? i use the cheap-o cutters I get from the local B&M so i'm sure any of the xikar will be a massive upgrade from what i've been using.
    I have a Xi2, it's great! cuts pretty perfect each time I use it. I use a cheap-o cutter omst of the time because I am in Afghanistan and I don't want to lose/damage my Xikar. I break it out when I am sharing a good smoke with a buddy, but most of the time the cheap-o cutter works well enough.
  • Options
    The Palio is quite expensive....is the cut that much better?
  • Options
    Hawk55:
    From what I've seen they are no more expensive than Xikars, less rather.
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    T. Gervais:
    Hawk55:
    From what I've seen they are no more expensive than Xikars, less rather.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Worth every penny of the $30 for this kind of service!!!

I had one for over a year and it started jamming up when I would open it up. So I printed out the form at the xikar website and mailed off my cutter with the completed form. What do I get in the mail after 7 days, a brand new cutter since they could not fix the other one.

With a LIFETIME warranty, why would you keep purchasing $5 cutters and throwing them away after a months worth of use??
  • Options
    StrongStyleStrongStyle Posts: 221
    i love my Xikar MTX cutter. It was worth every penny. Altough I did bend the bottle opener on it. because well, i had to many bottles before using it.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I love my MTX as well but the bottle opener just plain sucks.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Damn , a thread jump from 09 to 2012 . I think thats the first time I ever saw that !

Oh and the cutters . Dont have one . I do pick one up at the local B&M I frequent and look at it so much I feel like I own it !
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Worth every penny.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Agreed. I screwed around with lesser cutters and finally settled on an Xi3 and a Xikar VX.

Before that I had cheapo plastic cutters, the MOW Colibri, etc...and I had a Xi2, but the Xi3 is so much heftier and the blades seem better quality.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Well, this has convinced me that with my next CCOM purchase, Im adding a Xikar...my wife hates you all! LOL
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    mmccartneydc:
    Well, this has convinced me that with my next CCOM purchase, Im adding a Xikar...my wife hates you all! LOL
    It's literally a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. You won't be disappointed.