Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Knives

Comments

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Lasabar:
    How do you make your knives sharp?
    I sent mine to The Beard and he simply rubbed the blade against it one time. It shall never go dull
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    Lasabar:
    How do you make your knives sharp?
    I sent mine to The Beard and he simply rubbed the blade against it one time. It shall never go dull
    lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    I'm thinking of getting into knives, but what do you guys use for sharpening of them? And how often do you have to sharpen theM?

I've seen kits that sharpen for upwards of $300... Seen ones like Stay Sharp for less, but I've also seen the Cabela's little guy for like $10.... How do you make your knives sharp?
    This

Photobucket
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    firetruckguy:
    Lasabar:
    I'm thinking of getting into knives, but what do you guys use for sharpening of them? And how often do you have to sharpen theM?

I've seen kits that sharpen for upwards of $300... Seen ones like Stay Sharp for less, but I've also seen the Cabela's little guy for like $10.... How do you make your knives sharp?
    This

Photobucket
    i have one of those^^

Plus one of these-

and one of these-

im not sure if they're the same brands but that's what they look like.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    To the few Bali-Song interested folks here... what do you think of the Benchmade 62 so far? Pretty much all of the info is out there now, and I am fine with most things about it... other than the price. Benchmade themselves have the MSRP at 350.00, with most places taking pre-orders looking closer to 250.00, in some cases a little less... Other than the lack of latch gates/free swinging latch (not a spring latch like the 42), and maybe the weight, I think it is a good looking knife that, if and when the price comes down some, I may try to get my hands on. I just have never been able to justify the 300 to 400 for a 42, so the 62 may be a nice alternative in the end.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Lasabar:

Spyderco Sharpmaker
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    docbp87:
    To the few Bali-Song interested folks here... what do you think of the Benchmade 62 so far? Pretty much all of the info is out there now, and I am fine with most things about it... other than the price. Benchmade themselves have the MSRP at 350.00, with most places taking pre-orders looking closer to 250.00, in some cases a little less... Other than the lack of latch gates/free swinging latch (not a spring latch like the 42), and maybe the weight, I think it is a good looking knife that, if and when the price comes down some, I may try to get my hands on. I just have never been able to justify the 300 to 400 for a 42, so the 62 may be a nice alternative in the end.

While the 42 is nice, I honestly prefer the sub $100 pricetag of my Bradley-Kimura III. It's solid with no wobble/play anywhere, smooth, beautifully finished, and well-balanced. Haven't really paid much attention to the 62, but I'm still not a fan of paying a premium for the Benchmade name when I am extremely happy with the Bradley.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    error
  • Options
    I've actually been into knives a LOT longer than cigars. @ 30+ years for knives, with just 5 years for cigars. I have a collection of knives at around 60 pieces, with A. G. Russell, Spyderco and Kershaw being the top numbers with Case making a nice showing. I have a couple Microtechs, 3 Protechs and a William Henry at the top of my collection and several limited from the main 3. My favorite carry is a Lonewolf Trailmate fixed blade and a Canal Street Cannitler with mammoth ivory handles. I also vary my EDC with a Microtech LCC D/A, Kershaw Tyrade in Titanium and carbon Fiber, A Protech Godfather with Carbon fiber and a pearl button, Spyderco Kopa gold-lip pearl, Spyderco Military in Titanium frame and a GEC Easy Open Jack with bottle opener and spear blade. For anyone who REALLY enjoys knives, I welcome you to visit bladeforums.com It was actually a link from a member there that lead me to this place. I love knives. I appreciate a high alloy steel, or simple carbon steel. I enjoy new modern materials like carbon fiber and titanium, but can appreciate a nice aged jigged bone or shiny brass. A fancy sophisticated lock can trip my trigger, as well as a slip-joint with smooth walk and talk. I could go on and on about knives, but won't, as I save that for my other online home.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I have a folder from Uine. It was free with our purchase. If I lose it.. no biggie . I do Have my Pop's old folder in a drawer here but never carry it.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    error
  • Options
    Got a few inexpensive knives in today. Grabbed a Cold Steel Kudu (Navaja/Okapi style knife with a ring lock system) and a Svord Peasant Knife. Neither is really EDC material (in fact, the Kudu seems more like an old timey fighting knife, which I think it kind of was in the Napoleonic era), but both will be getting good use once camping season really gets going. The Peasant Knife especially. The Svord peasant is a friction folder, with an L6 Tool Steel blade, so it is a really basic, straight forward utility knife, but the friction folding aspect, with the extended tang piece really makes it a unique, fun knife. As a lover of orange knives (kind of a running thing in the knife community it seems) I am in love with the orange propylene handle, and the somewhat rough ground blade is cool as heck. I look forward to seeing a patina develop (as it will on L6 steel) on the blade, though I may cheat and use mustard to make a patterned patina...Anyway, the Svord peasant runs about $13.00 and the Kudu is a measly 6 or 7 bucks... well worth it for both. In fact, these are two of the most amazing inexpensive knives I've ever handled.
  • Options
    Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    My daily packing knife is a S&W first production run SWAT I got from my kids for fathers day 3 years ago
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    docbp87:
    Got a few inexpensive knives in today. Grabbed a Cold Steel Kudu (Navaja/Okapi style knife with a ring lock system) and a Svord Peasant Knife. Neither is really EDC material (in fact, the Kudu seems more like an old timey fighting knife, which I think it kind of was in the Napoleonic era), but both will be getting good use once camping season really gets going. The Peasant Knife especially. The Svord peasant is a friction folder, with an L6 Tool Steel blade, so it is a really basic, straight forward utility knife, but the friction folding aspect, with the extended tang piece really makes it a unique, fun knife. As a lover of orange knives (kind of a running thing in the knife community it seems) I am in love with the orange propylene handle, and the somewhat rough ground blade is cool as heck. I look forward to seeing a patina develop (as it will on L6 steel) on the blade, though I may cheat and use mustard to make a patterned patina...Anyway, the Svord peasant runs about $13.00 and the Kudu is a measly 6 or 7 bucks... well worth it for both. In fact, these are two of the most amazing inexpensive knives I've ever handled.
    id love to see pics of those, doc.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    I think the Kudu looks Outrageously long lol, but this getting bumped caused my to go sharpen my SOG Flash II for the first time in a while (seems like its been forever) it is sharp now! ill go weeks without opening it and then i will end up using it for 3 hours straight, never fails me!
  • Options
    BigT06:
    id love to see pics of those, doc.

Ended up playing with forcing a patina on the Peasant knife, and think it looks cool.

• Options
    Thanks for the pics doc.

If you like patina, you should see the hardware on my guitars... blood and sweat make great patina very quickly. lol
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Thanks for the pics doc.

If you like patina, you should see the hardware on my guitars... blood and sweat make great patina very quickly. lol

+1! They leave weird stains on drum heads, though...
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    My EDC is a Leek, it's a great little blade.
    Not a folder, but an inexpensive knife that you can get a bunch of and stash everywhere is the Mora. Often available from six to twelve bucks. Sportsman's guide usually has them but appears to be out at the moment. Last time I grabbed some they were 2/$13.75

For more involved social encounters, I have my KaBar Tanto,
    KA-BAR
  • Options
    Toombes:
    BigT06:
    Thanks for the pics doc.

+1! They leave weird stains on drum heads, though...
    My 91 Les Paul has gold hardware (well it's more of a green now, but it started out gold)... but my SG and Strats have all been converted to nickel (love the warmth of nickel hardware) and that stuff patinas brilliantly.

back on topic...

doc, is that folder with the full tang blade just for strength, or does that serve some other purpose as well?
  • Options
    Yeah, when opened, the tang of the blade sits between the two handle scales, and the friction of the scales on the tang, plus the position of your hand keep the knife from closing (it's a "friction folder"). No actual locking mechanism, but unless you let go of the handle, the blade can't close.
  • Options
    Doc, when you mustard the blade, did you apply it in a pattern, randomly, or coat the entire blade?
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Those are some great looking knives! I've been visiting this thread and thought that I might not have anything to add. I was going over my Buck knives (been using them for 20 years for hunting) and my fillet knives, but something just struck me! I have a box with a knife in it sitting right beside the humidor, and maybe it was picture worthy. Here it is:

This is a better look at the etching on the blade:

The knife isn't worth much (that I know of) but it looks nice on the antique sideboard that it's been sitting on for who knows how many years :)

• Options
    Steve2010:
    Doc, when you mustard the blade, did you apply it in a pattern, randomly, or coat the entire blade?
    Initially I gave it a deliberate pattern, but wasn't completely happy with it, so I put a blob on each side of the blade, and used a balled up paper towel to kind of mottle it, and it looks much better now. More organic.

Got a new knife in today that has really blown me away. It's a Chinese knife from a brand called Sanrenmu. I believe they are made in the same factory that makes Spyderco's Byrd line, as well as their value (Tenacious/Persistence/Ambitious) line. The knife I got is the model 710, which has been called the "Poor man's Sebenza", as it looks a LOT like a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. The thing that makes this knife so amazing is the price... In fact, all of the SRM knives I have seen are priced unbelievably... low. The 710 for example features a really tight framelock, 8cr13mov hollow ground drop point blade, and stainless steel handle scales. The price? About 10 dollars shipped. 8cr13mov may not be the best steel on the market, but it is really functional, and takes a great edge very easily, it just needs to be maintained well. You aren't gonna find these knives pretty much anywhere but ebay, but there are plenty of sellers that have them for sale at ridiculously low prices. I have been tempted to buy a bunch of the other SRM knives today after handling this 710... Highly recommended for anyone that wants a good EDC knife for a price that's low enough that you can really abuse it without feeling bad.
  • Options
    Wow, I just checked them out on ebay. Really inexpensive. I may have to pick up a couple.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I used to collect knives from all over the world. Right now my collection is in the storage but I love these two masterpieces from Yemen. I apprised them with legitimate experts and they confirmed and verified that these were made during 1915. In 1915, the British Empire actively collected art and crafts from the Arabian Peninsula. If you remember the movie Lawrence of Arabia, that was the time when the British and Germans tried to dominate the Turkish Ottoman empire around Arab peninsula. Until today, Prince Charles is the number one collector of the Arab and Islamic art. The antique agent who supplied me these two knives told me that Prince Charles has hundreds of these with precious stones and fine silver work. These are like my babies so I couldn't leave them behind in the storage. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    docbp87:
    So I am hardly an outdoorsman, a prepper, or any kind of enthusiast, but I do always have a pocket knife on me, pretty much all of the time. It is one of those tools I think everyone should have, and know about. It just makes life easier. I work in a damn pharmacy, and I use my knife daily, opening packaging, cutting labels, all kinds of uses. I love my EDC type knives so much that I maybe, might, kind of have a small collection going, and I've even started reading about different steels, customizations, all kinds of craziness. I just got a Spyderco Tenacious today, and am super impressed with it so far. Up until now, my EDC has been a Kershaw Leek, which is a great little assisted opener, not too flashy, but sleek and beautifully designed. The Spyderco knife is a bit bigger, but just feels great in the hand.

Anyone else love their knives?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Those are pretty wild knives you have there rzaman. Very cool.

I got myself a knife today, nothing fancy just a Gerber Evo. I have a mini Gerber knife that was a gift and I always liked it due to how low profile it was clipped on my pocket, I was able to get my hand in there and pull stuff out without dragging the knife out too. Though larger, this knife still fits that low profile bill. I've read the 440 steel is not the best out there, but I like the style of the knife, the feel in my hand and it didn't cost a lot...weighing those together, I'm pretty happy with this knife for an EDC.
  • Options
    440 may not be the best steel out there, but the honest truth is that 440 is perfectly fine for the tasks most people use a knife for on a day to day basis, and anyone who says otherwise is probably a pretty big knife nerd...

Speaking of knife nerd... My brand spankin' new beautiful Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in Digi-cam/satin came in today, and it is FU( KING AMAZING. The lock up is early, and firm, the action is smooth as butter, and the fit and finish is perfect. I heave heard of people having problems with the PM2, but so far I can find nothing wrong with mine... Oh, and CPM-S30V is one of my favorite knife steels lol...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Exactly...I not chopping down trees with a knife...my hardest use on it will be cutting tape and plug tobacco.
  • Options
    My SOG Flash II is made with AUS8 that, from my limited knowledge, is in the same range as 404, and i wouldnt want it to be harder. its soft to where it has some give, and wont chip horridly, but hard enough that it doesn't have to be resharpened after every use.