Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Knives

13»

Comments

• Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    just picked up a sog flash II because ive been working wiith rope alot lately and needed an edc with a serrated blade. had it for 3 days. so far so good
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I had a sog flash 2 for a while, with the exception of the clip breaking(I dropped it from the top of the plane by accident), I loved it. Now my edc is a smith and Wesson special ops assisted opener, it has a kicker in the back which makes it feel like an auto, love it to death, feels good and holds and edge very well..
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    taythegibs:
    My SOG Flash II is made with AUS8 that, from my limited knowledge, is in the same range as 404, and i wouldnt want it to be harder. its soft to where it has some give, and wont chip horridly, but hard enough that it doesn't have to be resharpened after every use.
    AUS-8a holds an edge a little better than 440.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    taythegibs:
    My SOG Flash II is made with AUS8 that, from my limited knowledge, is in the same range as 404, and i wouldnt want it to be harder. its soft to where it has some give, and wont chip horridly, but hard enough that it doesn't have to be resharpened after every use.
    I picked up a Cold Steel knife that uses AUS-8A...now I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about different steels as I haven't done any research, but this sumbitch came shaving sharp. I can see a collection starting...knives are really cool.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    docbp87:
    taythegibs:
    I picked up a Cold Steel knife that uses AUS-8A...now I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about different steels as I haven't done any research, but this sumbitch came shaving sharp. I can see a collection starting...knives are really cool.
    Yeah, Cold Steel is a weird company. I LOVE like half of their products, and then the other half of their products are like something out of an 80's fantasy movie. They are definitely well made, and the locks they use on their folders are pretty incredible. I just wish they would make stuff in something other than AUS-8, because even though it is a great steel, I'd rather have a blade with S30V or even VG-10, and a lock that can't necessarily take a thousand pounds of pressure.

I do own a few of their knives, and actually carry a Mini-Tac Kiridashi for self defense pretty regularly, as it is a really intuitive design for that purpose, and actually makes a great little slicer for more... practical uses.

Their folders though, like the American Lawman, Recon 1, and even the (big, kind of goofy) AK-47 are real work horses, that can take a serious beating, but sharpen up nicely after you abuse them.

Which knife of theirs did you get? Also, be sure to look them up on youtube for some serious LOLs watching Lynn Thompson fight cardboard, tires, and hanging duffle bags of steak with their various weapons (and better yet, watching him try to say that the Great Sword, or any of the super XL folders that have like inch blades, are the perfect thing for any man to carry at any time).
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    They are pretty extreme at cold steel. I was thoroughly entertained watching them do all the crazy endurance testing with the knives.

The one I picked up is the ti-lite model. Realistically this knife is good for one thing, and that's cutting or stabbing...not at all a practical EDC but I liked the look and found it on sale...I'm going right back to the days of buying a box of cigars based on the box and not the cigar. But it's a cool knife, I'm sure I'll find something to do with it.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    They are pretty extreme at cold steel. I was thoroughly entertained watching them do all the crazy endurance testing with the knives.

The one I picked up is the ti-lite model. Realistically this knife is good for one thing, and that's cutting or stabbing...not at all a practical EDC but I liked the look and found it on sale...I'm going right back to the days of buying a box of cigars based on the box and not the cigar. But it's a cool knife, I'm sure I'll find something to do with it.

I have a Ti-Lite lol. Yeah, it definitely has zero practical utility cutting ability, since it has zero belly whatsoever, but it looks cool, and the sort of wave feature makes it fun to open. My only complaint is that I wish the protrusions from the tang, that give it that fifties Italian stiletto look, were each facing the opposite direction that they face. When opened, I wish the one on top curved toward the blade, not toward the hand, because then it could be used as a thumb ramp for leverage, and the jimping would be functional too.
  • Options
    Anyone get anything new or cool lately? Anyone not posted their EDC in here yet? Anyone have more knives than they can shake a... stick... at? Just convinced myself to finally drop the dough for an Emerson Mini-Commander (went for plain edge/stone wash), after reading some stuff from Ernest Emerson about why his knives are the way they are, and the amazing places his knives have been, and amazing things his knives have done, etc. Just felt like something I needed to have (and use). Any Emerson fanatics?
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Hate to revive an old thread. Wouldn't do it if it weren't for the fact that I was about to start a new thread by the same title. Been doing some research on a new EDC, not that I carry every day, but it's nice to have a knife handy that holds an edge. I'm pretty sold on the Kershaw Leek, but I'm curious what anyone's thoughts on the Damascus steel blade are? It looks good, but I'm not sure how it holds up given the reviews. Any input?
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    Hate to revive an old thread. Wouldn't do it if it weren't for the fact that I was about to start a new thread by the same title. Been doing some research on a new EDC, not that I carry every day, but it's nice to have a knife handy that holds an edge. I'm pretty sold on the Kershaw Leek, but I'm curious what anyone's thoughts on the Damascus steel blade are? It looks good, but I'm not sure how it holds up given the reviews. Any input?

The leek is one of my 2 EDC's. The other is a Benchmade 300. Both are fantastic knives. I like the heft of the Benchmade, but the leek is great because of how light it is. I can't speak to the Damascus blade because I've never owned one, but you've got a winner with the Kershaw no matter what blade it has.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been carring a Leek for years. I also have a Kershaw Blur for heavy work. i keep them both touched up with a diamond hone.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I carry a Spyderco, holds a edge with the daily abuse I give it.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    I carry a Spyderco, holds a edge with the daily abuse I give it.
    I carry SpyderCo or Benchmade pretty much exclusively. If you want a knife that lasts a lifetime it's really cheaper and better in the long run to spend the extra coin up front and get the best you can. I use mine daily many times a day and always have my Benchmade Balisong on me (thanks again Jay!!!), perfect knife. Also both of those brands carry lifetime warranties ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    I've been carring a Leek for years. I also have a Kershaw Blur for heavy work. i keep them both touched up with a diamond hone.
    Had a great CRKT but it was too small and I lost it, so I replaced it with a Kershaw Blur 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Kershaw Blur.
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:

I love the Blur as well. I have 2 that spent a long time as my my EDC's.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Top is a cheap Gerber I use as a box cutter. The middle is my camping Tanto that my dad made for me, and the bottom is my everyday picket knife. Had that boy scout knife. Lost it sometime after I made eagle then recently found it, and have carried it ever since. I love that scouting knife. image
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    jbohon:
    First Warrior:

I love the Blur as well. I have 2 that spent a long time as my my EDC's.

The Blurs are great and have one of the Tiger Stripe Blade ones.

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been wanting a new one for a while now. This is the Leek
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Put a Kershaw Shallot on order today, lost my other knife somewhere on the ship. Everyone seems partial to the leek but I have slightly larger hands and prefer a larger knife. Can wait to get home and test it out.