Home Non Cigar Related

Tobacco seed.

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
Anyone want to try they're hand at growing tobacco? I have plenty of seed from last years crop. Free to forum members.
The plants were bagged to insure seed purity.

Habano
Florida Sumatra
Pennsylvania Red
Kelly Broad leaf
Connecticut Broad leaf
Connecticut Shade Leaf
Black Mammoth
Let me know the amount needed. A few grams of seed goes A long way.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Awesome. I'd love to try this. Is it difficult? Can you actually grow it, cure it, and roll your own cigars?
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I think that would be cool to try. I have a small garden that I could grow a row of. 1 row would be about 10-15 plants.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I would love to try this Rodney... but since we live about 10 miles away... I think we would get similar results... lol. And from what Dwayne tells me, you've got it pretty well figured out. I'd love to try some of your tobacco some day!!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    How did that Mammoth do? I have a nice crop going right now so if you are interested we could trade seeds. Any tips on harvesting seeds?
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I live in FL, but the soil i have around my house is actually pretty good, as my huge garden can attest to. I'd love to try my hand at PA broadleaf as I LOVE cigars with that wrapper. I need to read up on how to go about all of this.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    PM Addresses and I'll send the seed out as soon as possible. As for growing it's near foolproof. As the old saying goes, just add water. Seriously though it is fairly easy to grow. Plenty of Sunlight, water and A broad based fertilizer that's about it. I choose A 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer for my first crop. It turned out well. Several of my plants reached eight feet or higher. The Black Mammoth? Huge and heavy. The taste? Strong and Earthy.
    Goldy:
    How did that Mammoth do? I have a nice crop going right now so if you are interested we could trade seeds. Any tips on harvesting seeds?

About the only thing to remember is to bag your seed heads as soon as the flowers form if you have any other varieties within A half mile radius. When the seed heads dry thoroughly, separate seed from the trash with A fine kitchen strainer. When stored in A cool dry environment the seed should remain viable for years. They also freeze well.
    beatnic:
    Awesome. I'd love to try this. Is it difficult? Can you actually grow it, cure it, and roll your own cigars?

I've already had good results with rolling my own cigars. The hard part is in the fermenting and later blending of the tobaccos. It's definitely fun.
    When starting tobacco seed it is important to remember that the seed need light to germinate. Lightly moisten seed starting medium then sprinkle the seed on top. The seed are tiny so be careful when sowing. Keep the soil moist but not soggy. Be patient. Seed needs time to germinate. Most of the seed I started last week have begun to germinate. This is in ideal conditions inside A light box I built for this purpose. Most of the time it will take A couple of weeks to germinate most varieties. A window sill out of direct sunlight works well. On top of A refrigerator in A bright kitchen also will work with the added bonus of the heat generated by the appliance. When the leaves are about the size of A dime it is time to transplant the young tobacco plants into two or four inch peat pots. Simply pull the plants from the soil being careful not to disturb the adjacent plants. Peat pots because you don't disturb the root system when planting out later. When the plants are about four inches tall, start hardening them off with A few hours of sunlight A day for A week, then they're ready to place in they're final growing location. Good luck. Feel free to PM any questions that arise.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I'm printing this.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds really awesome! I'm definitely interested. I'd love to have a no-doubt nasty looking hand-rolled cigar that I did myself one day. Ha!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    What is your fermentation setup?

I have an old cooler that I drilled a hole in and installed a low wattage light bulb that keeps the temperature elevated and stable. Inside I place damp paper towles to keep the humidity up. I found those plans somewhere on the internet and have been very happy with them. My issue is drying since I live in a dry climate the bunches tend to dry out way too fast. Any idea how to fix the drying issue?
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I think an ornamental arrangement of tobacco would look great. Thinking about possiblities. I would love to produce and smoke my own cigars but not sure I want to try that right now. That is so way cool.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Interesting stuff - where did you learn to roll cigars - trial and error or actually had someone teach you ?
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    How long do the seeds keep for? I'm definitely interested in this, but won't have the room for a few months
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    PM'd. im stoked!!!
    xmacro:
    How long do the seeds keep for? I'm definitely interested in this, but won't have the room for a few months

I actually used seed left over from last year and am having no problem with germination. I've read that under optimal conditions, cool and dry, they remain viable for several years. I can't verify this but I plan to test it over the next few years.
    Some of my tobacco plants started from one and A half year old seed.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    pm to you sir.
    I'll have packages ready to mail on Monday to all who PM addresses. Good luck with your growing.
    I'm having trouble finding small seed packets to send the seed in so it may take A couple more days but I will mail them this week. Sorry for the delay.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Use plastic straws. To send the seeds. Heat seal one end, put seeds in then seal th other end.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how many of you have tried growing? And how many have had some success?
    What did you do with the tobacco when it was grown?

Where we are at, I think it would be too wet for me to have any success, unless I set up a greenhouse.
    But I'd sure like to hear about how things went for folks.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    gmill880:
    Interesting stuff - where did you learn to roll cigars - trial and error or actually had someone teach you ?

First I watched plenty of videos on the subject. Then the fun part, trial and error. Can't draw through it? Roll looser. Draw to loose? Roll tighter. It's A fun hobby and I certainly have more respect for the Torcedores now. It ain't as easy as it looks.
    0patience:
    So how many of you have tried growing? And how many have had some success?
    What did you do with the tobacco when it was grown?

Where we are at, I think it would be too wet for me to have any success, unless I set up a greenhouse.
    But I'd sure like to hear about how things went for folks.

Tobacco is A water loving plant. It might grow well where you live after all.

I grew six varieties last year. I actually had A great success rate on all of them. Over the winter I have been experimenting with the fermentation process, trying to find the best process for my needs as A home grower. It's all about experimenting at this point, learning what flavors to expect from each leaf. Growing is the easy part, then the work and the fun begins.
    RBeckom:
    I'm having trouble finding small seed packets to send the seed in so it may take A couple more days but I will mail them this week. Sorry for the delay.

Cellophane. I forgot about this amazing product. I knew I saved it for some purpose. Packages are on they're way.
    cabinetmaker:
    Use plastic straws. To send the seeds. Heat seal one end, put seeds in then seal th other end.

Great idea. I'll keep it in mind.
    I have one more package ready to mail. Anyone else want to try there hand at tobacco growing?
    The seed abbreviations are as follows:

B M=Black Mammoth
    C H=Cuban Habano
    P R=Pennsylvania Red
    K B= Kelly Brown Leaf
    F S=Florida Sumatra
    C S=Connecticut Shade Leaf
    When the seed arrive, The packets will contain A fair amount of trash in the form of flower bracts and stems. The best way to separate the seed is to use A fine kitchen strainer. It should remove most of the rubbish. Good luck with your growing.