Home Non Cigar Related

Tobacco seed.

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    RBeckom:
    Goldy:
    Very nice setup. Is that a third furnace in the first pic, the black thing near the door? What is the material behind the hotface? Also, is that just kaowool in the chamber or did you line it with a refractory?

Thats a really neat design with the lit that sits withing the furnace. Is it a water heater tank? I need to make some flasks at some point. Most of my castings are small and I usually use Delft clay or petrobond as I need a really nice finish. My current project is to make a poker chip set with different metals representing different demoninations. I had a few coins minted and have been replicating them since. I'll dig up a pic.

My foundry setup as of today. I used An old air compressor tank for the charcoal foundry. Both foundries are lined with homemade refractory and after multiple uses it has held up well with no major cracks. I used heavy fire brick to line the chamber of the large foundry and have had good results so far.

I was just about to ask if you used a waste oil burner and looky looky there it is. Are you a member of AlloyAvenue.com?
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    RBeckom:
    Goldy:
    Very nice setup. Is that a third furnace in the first pic, the black thing near the door? What is the material behind the hotface? Also, is that just kaowool in the chamber or did you line it with a refractory?

Thats a really neat design with the lit that sits withing the furnace. Is it a water heater tank? I need to make some flasks at some point. Most of my castings are small and I usually use Delft clay or petrobond as I need a really nice finish. My current project is to make a poker chip set with different metals representing different demoninations. I had a few coins minted and have been replicating them since. I'll dig up a pic.

My foundry setup as of today. I used An old air compressor tank for the charcoal foundry. Both foundries are lined with homemade refractory and after multiple uses it has held up well with no major cracks. I used heavy fire brick to line the chamber of the large foundry and have had good results so far.

I was just about to ask if you used a waste oil burner and looky looky there it is. Are you a member of AlloyAvenue.com?

Not at the present time. I've often thought about it though.
    RBeckom:
    Goldy:
    RBeckom:
    Goldy:

Not at the present time. I've often thought about it though.

I just joined the forum. A truly great site.
    I still have plenty of seed. Anyone interested? I'll be shipping Monday.
    Interested as I might need to restart this crop... PM sent
    Seeds are going out Wednesday instead of Monday. They will get there soon. I promise. :-)
    No worries at all
    Goldy:
    Interested as I might need to restart this crop... PM sent

On they're way. Should arrive Friday. Good luck.with your growing.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    How are your plants coming along Rodney? Would love to see some pictures when you have the time.
    j0z3r:
    How are your plants coming along Rodney? Would love to see some pictures when you have the time.

A little over six inches tall with leaves about as long as the plants are tall. I just finished tilling my garden where I plan to place the plants this weekend. I'll try to get A photo or two posted later today.

Todays photos.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Couple years ago I received a number of cigar tobacco seed packets. Small stock B.M., Havana 142, Havana 608, Connecticut Shade Leaf, Long Red leaf, Connecticut Broadleaf, Glessnor, Florida Sumatra, Dixie Shade, Keller Brown. Haven't planted any yet.
    christian1971:
    Couple years ago I received a number of cigar tobacco seed packets. Small stock B.M., Havana 142, Havana 608, Connecticut Shade Leaf, Long Red leaf, Connecticut Broadleaf, Glessnor, Florida Sumatra, Dixie Shade, Keller Brown. Haven't planted any yet.

It definitely gives A new respect for the people involved in the manufacturing of cigars. I must say though I enjoy the growing processes. Personally experiencing the subtle flavors and aromas of the individual tobacco leaves is just icing on the cake. Understanding why A particular cigar is what it is, that's why I grow.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Very cool. I wasn't quite prepared to grow any tobacco this year, but it will be a priority next year.
    Check out seed man.com. He is out of Minnesota.
    j0z3r:
    Very cool. I wasn't quite prepared to grow any tobacco this year, but it will be a priority next year.
    /////////excellent how to videos on YouTube.
    Hows everyones crops doing so far?
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    couldnt get my stuff planted in time, and now we get POURED ON, day in and day out. shooting for March. setting aside like an acre.
    Krieger:
    couldnt get my stuff planted in time, and now we get POURED ON, day in and day out. shooting for March. setting aside like an acre.

I hope you have A huge curing barn for that amount of tobacco. :-)
    Some plants are over two feet tall and growing daily.
    I will post photos as soon as I get the chance.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kelly broad leaf and mammoth left to right. These 2 did the best for me. Just dusted with bug killer.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:

Kelly broad leaf and mammoth left to right. These 2 did the best for me. Just dusted with bug killer.

Nice!
    My crop, this year, was almost a total loss due to the extreme drought we suffered this summer. I hope for a better crop next year as my planning includes an irrigation system from my pond to my garden and back with solar pumping. I will post a description of my setup as I get it completed.
    One note.
    Be careful with the chemicals though. Remember that you will smoke anything you put on your plants.
    That sounds like a nice setup! I'm hoping to just air cure and roll some ugly cheroots.... sorry to hear ab the drought, its been so hot here too.

I did contemplate the use of this chemical on the tobacco... it is safe for veggies so I thought it would be ok. I will use it as sparingly as possible, his may be the only application.
    Gray4lines:
    That sounds like a nice setup! I'm hoping to just air cure and roll some ugly cheroots.... sorry to hear ab the drought, its been so hot here too.

I did contemplate the use of this chemical on the tobacco... it is safe for veggies so I thought it would be ok. I will use it as sparingly as possible, his may be the only application.

A natural insecticide made from dish soap and mouthwash would be a definite improvement to commercial chemicals.
    One table spoon of dish soap.
    One tablespoon of alcohol based mouthwash.
    One gallon of water, mix and shake well.
    This solution will dry out the exoskeleton of the aphids causing them to dehydrate and die.
    Any other pest should be large enough to be removed by hand.
    image what are those, are they bad, and should I remove them?
    Bump.
    Gray4lines:
    image what are those, are they bad, and should I remove them?

Sorry I missed this one.
    As the saying goes , if it is on a plant kill it!
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I want to grow inside...do you have to plant outside? I want for Greendale and a conversation piece
    deejmemixx:
    I want to grow inside...do you have to plant outside? I want for Greendale and a conversation piece

As long as they get plenty of light, be it natural or man made they will grow huge!
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    RBeckom:
    deejmemixx:

As long as they get plenty of light, be it natural or man made they will grow huge!
    ok cool, thanks for the info
    I have sent out all of my seed stock if a BOTL accepts my offer.
    I hope to let everyone know for sure later today.