Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

urbino's log

Comments

• Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Hey Urbino, I don't remember where I was by wolfchase mall, but I picked up a couple Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles for around $5 a piece. You might want to head over there for a good stick without dropping more for an internet pickup. I wish I remembered the name, but it was off of Germantown Prkwy.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I think I saw some posts where Madurofan was talking about the Tatuaje cigars.  But regaurdless of who it was, I would love to see a review of the Havana VI from either of you two when you get around to it.
    Maduro was talking about the Tat. corojo 2003 and 2006, just so ya know you did have the right guy.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    vankleekkw:
    Hey Urbino, I don't remember where I was by wolfchase mall, but I picked up a couple Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles for around $5 a piece. You might want to head over there for a good stick without dropping more for an internet pickup. I wish I remembered the name, but it was off of Germantown Prkwy.
    Heh. Everything's off of Germantown Pkwy., van. There's a Tinder Box in that mall, and probably a couple smoke shops in the area. I know there's one on Dexter, just off GP, a coupla miles south of the mall. Sounds like you're talking about someplace closer, though.

Come on over to the Newbies thread and say hi. You too, Puro.
  • Options
    Cigar: Gurkha Centurian XX
    Size/Shape: Perfecto
    Time In My Humidor: 10 days
    Smoking Time: 1:15
    Overall Rating: 8.0

This is a good cigar. I'd like to be able to give it higher praise, but I just can't. It is a good cigar, but, IMHO, not more than that.

As much as I like the perfecto shape, and as much as I appreciate the skill and attention required to roll one that draws as well and consistently as this one does, all that fine construction goes a-beggin' if it isn't delivering flavor, and this cigar was just flat in that department.

Pre-light and immediately post-light, there were some cedary notes. As the burn continued, the cedar became spiciness, but too slight. A chocolaty aftertaste also developed, but it, too, was too slight. In a cigar of this reputation and especially this price, one expects more flavor.

All that said, the flavors that were present were nice and, if fuller, would make for a very nice, complex mix. As I mentioned, the cigar drew admirably well, especially for a perfecto. However, it didn't burn evenly. It had a decided hot streak down one side for most of its length, before finally evening out during the last third or so.

I have a few more of these in my humi, and I'll enjoy smoking them. But I won't eagerly anticipate them.

• Options
    Well, my curiosity is piqued now. The price tag on the Centurian has seemed a bit high to me to try it as a one off, but since ccom is offering a deal on them I went ahead and snagged a six pack for $30 along with a handful of cigars I was ordering. I'll probably try one fresh and let the others rest for some time. I'm not going to get my hopes too high, but we'll see, I'm not super impressed with Gurkha thus far, but I'm hardly disgusted with them either, just feel they are a bit overpriced/over-hyped for being good-but-not-great cigars (this is in my experience of course).
  • Options
    That's a pretty good summary of my feelings about this one, Joe. BTW, I got my Centurians via that same deal. If they normally sold at that price, they'd be a solid buy. Still not among my favorites, but a solid buy. But at their normal price? I just don't see it.
  • Options
    The Warlord is a line I like as it is a good cigar without a hefty price tag... I bought a box a few months ago and the cigars averaged to about $6 a piece ( if you take the fan-dancy box out of the equation) which I feel is a good price for that particular cigar.

And I'm really getting pumped over that Graycliff Legend, can't wait to try that one. And it better be good, or you're gonna have one disgruntled customer on your hands :). I'll see if I can't come up with a review of my own and compare it with your's.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Joe, everything Urbino says about that Purple ( urple ) is true.. You will want more.. I do not know how Graycliff can make that cigar and sell it at the price they do, when all their other stuff is going for super premium prices.. It's got this unique nutty taste that you will keep trying to identify, I have had many and never been let down..
  • Options
    I don't doubt that kas, just yankin his chain, you know how it goes. :)
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well I keep reading about the Graycliff Legend but I can't find them on any site... I'll have to check my local shops I guess... Any ideas guys?
  • Options
    You will not find them in any shops ... They are available from another Company as their in house line. I think you can find them from an internet search using the proper key words..using the words.. Legends Series, Graycliff, and Cigars..That really should do it..If not I can PM you..check your inbox..
  • Options
    Thank you VERY much! I'm going to have to check into trying these.  I keep hearing a lot of praise. 
  • Options
    Are you talking about the Purple ones? I don't see Legend series on this site...
  • Options
    Do a Google search using the words I mentioned, and you should find them. Or in the upper right hand corner there is a box Inbox, click that because I sent you the info..
  • Options
    Ok, I found it finally! Thanks!
  • Options
    Good, what did you finally get ?? I picked up a box while I was waiting for you.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    The Warlord is a line I like as it is a good cigar without a hefty price tag... I bought a box a few months ago and the cigars averaged to about $6 a piece ( if you take the fan-dancy box out of the equation) which I feel is a good price for that particular cigar.

And I'm really getting pumped over that Graycliff Legend, can't wait to try that one. And it better be good, or you're gonna have one disgruntled customer on your hands :). I'll see if I can't come up with a review of my own and compare it with your's.
    Cool. I'll see what I think of the Warlord you sent me. I've also got the Gurkhas ccom sends out in its COTMC sign-up bonus.

Tastes obviously vary -- for instance, I didn't pick up the nuttiness kas mentioned, so I'll have to see if I do the next time -- but I've smoked 2 of those Graycliffs and I thought both were just outstanding. I think it was kas who called my attention to them in the first place, so any customer complaints should go through him. :)

• Options
    While tastes may vary I have heard some different taste reviews here like ..."my dirty belt " or the classic what was it ,this cigar smelled like "a barnyard at the county fair" comparison..I have never experienced either of those. although that would turn me away from any cigar.. oh yeah thanks for the deferal.. But I do like them..
  • Options
    Well I tried a Black Peral Robusto the other day and I can tell it had that "barnyard at the county fair" smell and taste.  I was very dissapointed with this smoke and it was the first time I tossed one a little more than halfway through it.  Not a good night at the driving range...
  • Options
    Black Pearl is one of those cigars that seems to show up in samplers.. I have had a few and they never made be write home to talk about them, I believe they were one of the few that didn't make it to the band as well...
  • Options
    Yea, mine came in a sampler as well and it was probably the worst one so far.  The Tusker was even better than that thing! haha And that was a cheap smoke!!! But those were the only two in that pack I bought that weren't really good.  It had a Gurka Legend and a couple Rocky Patels.  It was a great buy at only $29.99 for 16 cigars.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Black Pearl is one of those cigars that seems to show up in samplers.. I have had a few and they never made be write home to talk about them, I believe they were one of the few that didn't make it to the band as well...
    "The Curse of the Black Pearl?"
  • Options
    Cigar: Nub 466 Cameroon
    Size/Shape: Torpedo
    Time In My Humidor: 12 days
    Smoking Time: 0:35
    Overall Rating: 8.75

This little guy has decidedly more flavor than his Connecticut cousin. Pre-light, it tasted of chocolate* and drew wonderfully. For the first 1/4" inch or so of burn, it had basically no flavor, and I was starting to think I'd seen this show before.

After that, though, the chocolaty sweetness returned, this time with a bit of spice and some overtones that were vaguely grassy. Not that barnyard thing kuzi talks about; pleasantly grassy. (No, not that kind of grass, either.)

This cigar lit well and burned evenly -- down to the point where Memphis humidity established a no-burn zone, anyway. I'm not much for trying to build a long first ash. I get tired of worrying it's going to land in my lap. I knocked this one off at about 1.25", but it definitely would've held on longer. One thing that's been consistent between the 2 Nubs I've tried is that they produce a very tight ash.

I'll keep some of these on hand for those times when I don't have time for a full-length smoke. Nice cigar.

* 10 days ago, I'd never had a cigar that tasted chocolaty to me. Now I seem to find it everywhere. Maybe it's in my head -- one of the deals like when you get a new car and suddenly you start seeing cars just like yours everywhere you look.
  • Options
    Cigar: Gurkha Sherpa
    Size/Shape: Toro
    Time In My Humidor: 9 days
    Smoking Time: 1:45
    Overall Rating: 9.3

Oh my God this was a good cigar. I hardly know where to start. It went through so many flavors, I needed a scorecard to keep up. The only flavor missing was Monica Lewinsky. Well, that's not true. I didn't taste any chocolate or coffee or earthiness. The darker flavors weren't here. Just everything else.

Let's start at the beginning. While not a stunner, this is a handsome cigar. It smells pleasantly woody, unlit, and the draw, a bit tight, produced a raisin flavor. Once lit, it developed more of a spiced raisin flavor. After a bit, the raisin faded and the spice remained. A bit later, the spice faded and an incredibly smooth caramel flavor developed. This then faded to a light butter flavor, which then ripened again while still remaining buttery; it was like the aftertaste of a well marbled cut of meat -- something like a prime rib.

This then receded back to the light butter flavor and developed a rich, fruity sweetness over it. Over the course of the rest of the cigar, these remained the dominant flavors, but even then things were constantly changing. The spiciness would crop back up, briefly. Tea flavors would enter, announce themselves, and leave, only to return again. And the fruitiness shimmered among different fruits during the long aftertaste, sometimes overtaking the butteriness, sometimes just playing in the background. The butter itself sometimes developed a slight tanginess, which combined with the sweetness of the fruit produced flashes of something almost like cream cheese.

In short, this cigar had both more flavor and more flavors than any cigar I've ever smoked. Aside from that slightly tight draw, the only thing this cigar did wrong was end. The burn was even, and the ash held tight.

I bought these because kas praised them so highly in the Whatcha Smokin' Tonight thread. From now on, I'm just going to automatically buy a box of anything recommended by kas, peace be upon him.

• Options
    Hey Urbino.. I do have a few that I really like and when I find one I mention it so others can share, and offer their opinions..some agree, others do not.. I'm glad when I hear that someone else shares my taste in cigars.. .and peace be upon you as well...
  • Options
    Hey Puro, I know the sampler you speak of.. I didn't think the Tusker was bad, it was a pleasant surprise for a " house brand ". It is made by Victor Sinclair and what I liked was the Connectict / Equador wrapper which is always pleasant to me.. I bought that sampler for the bulk and new smoke experience, if you hit on a couple good one, at that price it makes for a great deal. Did that sampler have the Patel Sun Grown in it too, because that would be the All Star of that package.. I
  • Options
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    "The Curse of the Black Pearl?"
    Aaarrgg, I do believe that be the case Captain Urbino !!
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I actually thought that the Black Pearl Rojo was an excellent smoke. I am trying to make some room in my Humi to pick up some more of them. Which Black Pearl did you smoke?
  • Options
    Vankleekkw... I tried several.. the Rojo toro, the Gran D Robusto, and the La Pearle Habano Maduro... Granted, Black Pearl can deliver with some Very Strong Cigars, that does require a degree of patience when smoking them... I tend to work my way through cigars rather quickly so perhaps I overdid it on some occasions... I will try these again with more time and an open mind to see if I am mistaken about them...I have read several reviews since and they do score highly among many cigar smokers...
  • Options
    UPDATE
    Cigar: Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic
    Size/Shape: Figurado (7x48)
    Time In My Humidor: 2 weeks
    Smoking Time: 1:30
    Overall Rating: 9.0

This is the Hemingway I remember. Great flavor, as noted in my previous review (06-18-2008, 12:59 AM). This one burned true and even, unlike the previous one. The draw was, if anything, a bit on the loose side, but it smoked cool, nonetheless.

I don't know if the extra resting time made the difference, or if the one I smoked 2 weeks ago was just a bad example. We'll see how the rest of this box smokes.