Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Cigar: Gurkha Warlord
    Size/Shape: Goober (7x55)
    Time In My Humidor: 2.5 weeks
    Smoking Time: 1:20
    Overall Rating: 9.0

The Gurkha Warlord is an imposing sumbuck. At 7x55, it's a little too like my own goober for me to be entirely comfortable smoking it. Being comfortable in my manhood, however, smoke it I did.

All kidding aside, this is a big, dark cigar that comes in a cedar half-wrap bound with a ribbon, and an XL-sized Gurkha band and a second band below that. If nothing else, the presentation makes it clear that somebody intended this cigar to be a premium experience. All in all, I'd say that's what it was.

Surprisingly, the unlit cigar doesn't have much of an aroma. Mostly, you smell the cedar wrap (even after it's removed). It cut very easily for a cigar this chubby, which I take as a good sign that a cigar will draw well. The Warlord didn't disappoint. The draw was a bit on the loose side, but quite good.

Unlit, the draw tasted of cedar and coffee, and those continued to be the dominant flavors throughout the smoke. The cedar was especially pronounced, I thought. There was a hint of spice through the first half, and then a developing, earthy sweetness through the second half. Both were very pleasant; the latter, especially.

One thing that surprised me was how quickly it smoked. An hour and 20 minutes is pretty quick for a cigar this huge. I guess the loose draw contributed to that. Anyway, it burned perfectly, producing a tight, white ash that held on tenaciously.

I don't know that I'll keep these in my humi, but I do recommend them. It's a very good cigar.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think i have one of these in the bottom of some humidor somewhere. Im gunna have to dig that puppy out and give it a smoke.
  • Options

Cigar: Nestor Reserve Maduro
    Size/Shape: Torpedo (7x50)
    Time In My Humidor: 2 weeks
    Smoking Time: 1:30
    Overall Rating: 8.75

This cigar doesn't seem to get much discussion, and I'm not sure why. It's quite good. Ccom doesn't carry them, but they can be had elsewhere for $50 for a bundle of 25, which is an absolute steal. It produced lots of smoke that had a rich, sweet, earthy flavor, with hints of coffee now and then, and some dark fruitiness to the sweetness.

The construction was good, the draw just a bit tight, but it's a torpedo, so what do you expect? It didn't quite want to burn evenly. It wasn't so much that one side was plugged or didn't want to burn; it was more that the other side really wanted to burn. A few corrective lights kept things more or less in check. It wasn't something that required constant attention. (If it had, you would see an overall rating in the 7's, not the 8's.)

This is a fine cigar. A helluva lot of good cigar for $2. I suggest getting some.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have also heard good things about these. ...just not from anyone i know/repect. im glad thats now changed.

that burn issue sounds like it would go away after time in the humidor.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    i have also heard good things about these. ...just not from anyone i know/repect. im glad thats now changed.

that burn issue sounds like it would go away after time in the humidor.
    That slash must be an "or" rather than an "and" ;)
  • Options
    Ha ha. You should get an agent and go on the road. :)

This cigar reminds me, now that I think about it, of the Onyx Reserve. The flavor isn't as intense, but there's a definite similarity.
  • Options
    urbino:
    This cigar reminds me, now that I think about it, of the Onyx Reserve.
    * adds Nestor Reserve Maduro to must-try list *
  • Options
    I just ordered a bundle of 25, duty. Shoot me your addy and I'll bomb you with some.
  • Options
    I appreciate that, urbs.. I'll have to counter-attack with something, though.. that's just how I roll.
  • Options
    I have no objection to that. :)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Great reviews bino you seem to enjoy the same tastes as I do.. well mostly. Damn you for making me add more cigars to my ever growing list ;-)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Since you're on a bombing raid urby, I'll take some of those Oliva Special S' off your hands... send ya some backwoods sweets. :)
  • Options
    Thanks, Phoebe. I'll get back to writing full reviews sooner or later. I'm just in kind of a lull.

Careful what you wish for, Joe. (And actually, I never did bomb Doody with those Nestors. I don't think he ever sent me his addy. Or did I? I can't remember. I'm old.)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    uh-oh, that could sound ominous.

I bought one of the Nestor Reserve torpedos myself a few months ago and I just never get around to grabbing it, and after reading your rave reviews I wanted to have it that much more. I'm gonna try and get that in by the weekend time. So many cigars, so little time.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Thanks, Phoebe. I'll get back to writing full reviews sooner or later. I'm just in kind of a lull.

Careful what you wish for, Joe. (And actually, I never did bomb Doody with those Nestors. I don't think he ever sent me his addy. Or did I? I can't remember. I'm old.)
    Urby - I've got 3 Nestors from you sitting in the humi :) To refresh your memory, we traded SC Cuban Cabinets for Nestors. You also hit me with a 5 Vegas Gold and RP 1990, which happen to be a couple of my favorites.

You need to ask for a Blackberry for Christmas or something ;)
  • Options
    Heh. I'd just forget how to work it.