Home General Discussion
Options

stad?

bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
Anyone see Stad the new guy recently..? I didnt bomb him that badly that he would run away...

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    +1
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    I hit him too, and now he's gone!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    MVW67:
    I am surprised this does not happen more often than not to be honest
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    MVW67:
    /////CERTAINLY not implying anything about Stad..... but is the inference?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGZufk4HFs
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Always the cynic on full throttle, I'm surprised no one has done this multiple times under multiple accounts. Not that I'm implying this guy has, the jury is, of course, eternally open, and I hope all is well with him. But my cynical perspective still stands for the world at large.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bearb:
    deejmemixx:
    MVW67:
    /////CERTAINLY not implying anything about Stad..... but is the inference?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGZufk4HFs
    Nothing towards stad, just a generalized comment about people kicking it after scoring sticks
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Seems like I have seen this a little more recently... This is why I put the scumbagslist.com in my signature and I check it before i send anything out to a noob honestly. I think we should add people to it more often than not. I can thnk of several folks whom have gotten on here, got smashed, and gone away. It's alomst like we should require a few bombs coming from them before we destroy their block as a feeding frenzy/pack of wolves... That would take away from the whole board though, and I have been part on some noob bombings that went well, others that disappeared.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Seems like I have seen this a little more recently... This is why I put the scumbagslist.com in my signature and I check it before i send anything out to a noob honestly. I think we should add people to it more often than not. I can thnk of several folks whom have gotten on here, got smashed, and gone away. It's alomst like we should require a few bombs coming from them before we destroy their block as a feeding frenzy/pack of wolves... That would take away from the whole board though, and I have been part on some noob bombings that went well, others that disappeared.
    I think this will ebb and flow itself, or at least it very likely will. It's pretty new and hit-and-runs were nearly a guaranteed result of it, but if people are sending these off in the truest sense of the gesture (i.e. wanting nothing in return) then it doesn't matter. But I'm sure if the frequency of hit-and-runs increases, the frequency of noob bombs will decrease, and fewer hit-and-runners will show up, thus increasing noob bombs again, etc. etc.

That said, the spirit of the noob bombing is fantastic. It's a very unfortunate natural outcome of these gracious and generous gestures that first that generosity spreads through the community and fellow BOTLs who jumped in on that generous vibe will get burned a bit by greedy people who will just feed on that generosity.

Again, I'm not pointing fingers at stad, or calling him greedy, or a hit-and-runner. This has kinda turned into a noob bomb discussion and I'm just tossing in my 2c about that phenomenon.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I know man...that spirit is what makes this place awesome and seeing some of the strong brothers comin out of it makes it worth it. I kind of think maybe we should take note of the dine and Rasheed though, even if someone keeps it in private
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    phew not on the scumbag list *wipes sweat from forehead.* It's interesting. Some of those guys are very close to where I live. Knuckle sandwich anyone? just kidding. haha
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    nevermind.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    wow!!! nice.... scumbag list....never knew it existed! wwayne is the only bomb i have received when he moved a few minutes away... and that was in person, so not sure it is random destruction...so i guess I am fine....since I am not a staple on here much, due to my life circumstances changing for the worse over the last year.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Ken Light:
    catfishbluezz:
    I think this will ebb and flow itself, or at least it very likely will. It's pretty new and hit-and-runs were nearly a guaranteed result of it, but if people are sending these off in the truest sense of the gesture (i.e. wanting nothing in return) then it doesn't matter. But I'm sure if the frequency of hit-and-runs increases, the frequency of noob bombs will decrease, and fewer hit-and-runners will show up, thus increasing noob bombs again, etc. etc.

That said, the spirit of the noob bombing is fantastic. It's a very unfortunate natural outcome of these gracious and generous gestures that first that generosity spreads through the community and fellow BOTLs who jumped in on that generous vibe will get burned a bit by greedy people who will just feed on that generosity.

Again, I'm not pointing fingers at stad, or calling him greedy, or a hit-and-runner. This has kinda turned into a noob bomb discussion and I'm just tossing in my 2c about that phenomenon.
    I remember when i was welcome bombed. FTG hooked me up with a wonderful package of maduros that ranged from premium to hidden everyday cigar gem. First time i ever came to a bored and felt that welcomed. Although i haven't participated in any bombings yet i have done a few trades and am slowly becoming more active. I am amazed at the generosity of the people on this forum with the random bombings, the welcome bombings, the dccc, and the general support every one gives each other on non cigar related issues. I feel that the atmosphere that you create by doing all the kind things that you do keeps people around for the long haul. I like to think of myself as an investment =) . However with this kind of generosity some people are bound to take advantage =(
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Im not checking a list and have no problems sending first. If I send and they stay it's good. If I send and they leave , oh well I'm out a few sticks. No big whoop. I stayed here because these folks were so laid back.
  • Options
    Let me just state, for the record, that thought it's a close decision, I think on balance the noob bombings are a positive thing. The upside of the positive, welcoming vibe currently outweigh the downside of people taking advantage. Should more people take advantage, and more importantly should more people sending feel they've been taking advantage OF, I think that balance will shift.
  • Options
    From a noob standpoint I find this whole situation confusing. In and of itself the overall hobby is complicated and has a steep learnig curve with brand, taste, burn, draw, humidity, temp, storage, suppliers, etc, etc... This forum is a great knowledge base and I have found the members eager to share the wealth of experience they have. What has confused me about this forum is the totally random nature of the type of welcome a noob receives. I never expected a "bomb" (didn't know what one was when I joined) nor have I or would I solicit one. I do not want to appear to be whinning here either but am offering feedback based upon this thread. One new member finds a welcoming committe in his mailbox everyday until he has to put a white flag out while another member does not. It is the damned if you do syndrome for sure for the experienced members. The generosity is awesome and what seems to separate this froum from the others I have seen. I am just suggesting to spread the welcome around a little... Please take these comments as they are intended in the good spirit they were written, not a *** fest that my welcome was a dud. I enjoy this forum a lot and have learned a ton.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    sierrawest:
    From a noob standpoint I find this whole situation confusing. In and of itself the overall hobby is complicated and has a steep learnig curve with brand, taste, burn, draw, humidity, temp, storage, suppliers, etc, etc... This forum is a great knowledge base and I have found the members eager to share the wealth of experience they have. What has confused me about this forum is the totally random nature of the type of welcome a noob receives. I never expected a "bomb" (didn't know what one was when I joined) nor have I or would I solicit one. I do not want to appear to be whinning here either but am offering feedback based upon this thread. One new member finds a welcoming committe in his mailbox everyday until he has to put a white flag out while another member does not. It is the damned if you do syndrome for sure for the experienced members. The generosity is awesome and what seems to separate this froum from the others I have seen. I am just suggesting to spread the welcome around a little... Please take these comments as they are intended in the good spirit they were written, not a *** fest that my welcome was a dud. I enjoy this forum a lot and have learned a ton.
    +1 thanks for having the courage to post this,, I'm sure you're not the only one that feels this way and I cant give you an answer as to why this occurrs but I agree it does..Thanks for not takin it personal. I can suggest for noobs to mabe take the inititiative. Big Fn Steve is a classic example of how to get things rolling..The brother came here did a lot of reading and learning and then basically jumped right in, and started a mad bombing spree. Being that I dont remember if he got a huge reception of bombs as a welcom he problably didnt. Yes some do get bombed more than others Salem comes to mind, but once again I dont have an answer to why this happens but once again its just part of the way things go and I hope none of the newbs that dont get this kind of welcome take it personal, Hell I know vets who dont get bombed like some of the newbs,, EDIT,, And no Im not speaking of myself,,Oh BTW send me your addy and I'll send ya some lovin!!!!!
  • Options
    The Kid:
    sierrawest:
    +1 thanks for having the courage to post this,, I'm sure you're not the only one that feels this way and I cant give you an answer as to why this occurrs but I agree it does..Thanks for not takin it personal. I can suggest for noobs to mabe take the inititiative. Big Fn Steve is a classic example of how to get things rolling..The brother came here did a lot of reading and learning and then basically jumped right in, and started a mad bombing spree. Being that I dont remember if he got a huge reception of bombs as a welcom he problably didnt. Yes some do get bombed more than others Salem comes to mind, but once again I dont have an answer to why this happens but once again its just part of the way things go and I hope none of the newbs that dont get this kind of welcome take it personal, Hell I know vets who dont get bombed like some of the newbs,, EDIT,, And no Im not speaking of myself,,Oh BTW send me your addy and I'll send ya some lovin!!!!!
    Me tooo!!
  • Options
    MVW67:
    The Kid:
    sierrawest:
    Me tooo!!
    Well ok,,, I already have your addy though!!!!
  • Options
    sierrawest:
    Really appreciate this feedback. Hadn't considered this side of the coin yet. I still think noob bombings are a good thing, but maybe coordination might make it even better. Just a thought, I'm not sure it's a good one.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sierrawest:
    It's kind of like the saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Some jump head long in and get involved in everything and ask for things. Then there are those of us who come in and prefer to be low keyed newbs to the forum and remain a bit at arms length.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I didn't get a noob welcome when I joined. I started off with a movie trivia win and post. I started bombs when folks asked for some Monte NY's and I sent with the refusal of trades. Ran a few contests and the like. I don't want to see this place turn formulaic and structured. I love watchin a noob say something "wrong" and being the reason his postman has to retire early.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    I didn't get a noob welcome when I joined. I started off with a movie trivia win and post. I started bombs when folks asked for some Monte NY's and I sent with the refusal of trades. Ran a few contests and the like. I don't want to see this place turn formulaic and structured. I love watchin a noob say something "wrong" and being the reason his postman has to retire early.
    Thats some funny stuff,,,I was talkin to my post office lady today and she's retiring,,
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is really interesting. I'm torn trying to decide how I want to address these issues. So I will try not to ramble on too much. The people that come here for free cigars with no intention of actually participating in trades/passes/bombs or the forum as a whole are really a non-issue for me. If I bomb a newb and they disappear, oh well. The nature of a bomb assumes no reciprocation. Generosity in any part of life will be taken advantage of by some people. Obviously, it will happen here much more than we wish. Secondly, I feel genuinely bad when some newbs are completely overlooked. I did receive a welcome bomb from bandyt09. It was an amazing feeling. Even though I read about similar experiences before joining, it really made me feel like a part of the forum from the beginning. Without that initiation, I'm not sure if I would have been as involved as I am. It is much easier for the group to welcome someone in then it is to work your way in on your own. Lastly, I'm sure we all know who the real BORK's are around here and nothing will change how they interact and shape how this forum is viewed by all of us. This forum remains the greatest place on the web and a few jerks will never change that.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    This thread is really interesting. I'm torn trying to decide how I want to address these issues. So I will try not to ramble on too much. The people that come here for free cigars with no intention of actually participating in trades/passes/bombs or the forum as a whole are really a non-issue for me. If I bomb a newb and they disappear, oh well. The nature of a bomb assumes no reciprocation. Generosity in any part of life will be taken advantage of by some people. Obviously, it will happen here much more than we wish. Secondly, I feel genuinely bad when some newbs are completely overlooked. I did receive a welcome bomb from bandyt09. It was an amazing feeling. Even though I read about similar experiences before joining, it really made me feel like a part of the forum from the beginning. Without that initiation, I'm not sure if I would have been as involved as I am. It is much easier for the group to welcome someone in then it is to work your way in on your own. Lastly, I'm sure we all know who the real BORK's are around here and nothing will change how they interact and shape how this forum is viewed by all of us. This forum remains the greatest place on the web and a few jerks will never change that.
    well said. I was scared to post anything as I had 5ish boxes hit me in a week... my wife was scared to let me smoke any as she thought they could be laced with something because people are not that nice. Well she now knows she was wrong. I cant bomb a newbie yet as I dont have the fire power, but am to the point where a few random bombs can be sent.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    If you try to put rules in place for things like that then you lose a big part of the this forum's character. Let's face it, nothing is as much fun when you feel like you have to do it, even if that is blowing up someone's front yard. I'm sure whoever decides to send these random bombs know there is a chance that they are being taken advantage of, but thankfully it seems that is a rarity. Sure, people will get overlooked, but if they get their feelings hurt that bad then they're here for the wrong reason.

I think the Newbie guide that gets bumped explains this stuff good enough. Just my opinion...
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    14,653 Members . I think when I joined about 3 1/2 years ago it was around 2000 ish . A bomb is a bomb and by definition requires no reciprocation from the receiver . If you sent a bomb just to get one back or see your name on the forum or any other reason than you just wanted to send something to somebody for your own reasons no strings attached you did it for the wrong reason period . If your gonna have hurt feelings , or think less of the person you sent it to , or be a smart-aleck to them on the forum if they don't return fire then you did it for yourself and not them and IMHO thats not right . Getting ripped off on a trade or a purchase is totally different and you should have a case of the sore-a$$ if it was done to you intentionally .

A bomb is a gift FROM a person that loves cigars and all things related TO another person that has shown an interest and love of the leaf for no other reason than to share a common bond/love/experience/comraderie of all things CIGAR !!!

The bombs themselves have changed quite a bit over the last 3-4 years , I believe some of the older forum members will back me on that . It used to be a lot of 3-5 stick packages and not nearly as high-end as now . The overwhelming numbers and quality in my opinion probably makes a lot of new-comers to this forum a little nervous to bomb or be bombed for lack of perceived quality/acceptable inventory from which to " return fire " which i believe they perceive they must do.

Personally , I have no problem with what any member feels they want to send as a bomb or how many or to whomever , thats a brother or sisters own business - but if you do -read 1st paragraph above again and make sure your doing it for the right reasons .

Last - This response is absolutely not addressed to any one person or persons - it is just one old forum members opinion on bombs and my opinion only , on the subject in general .
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    The overwhelming numbers and quality in my opinion probably makes a lot of new-comers to this forum a little nervous to bomb or be bombed for lack of perceived quality/acceptable inventory from which to " return fire " which i believe they perceive they must do.
    He hits the nail squarely on the head.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    On the same line, Sleeve, brought up. I bomb newbs and vets without expecting anything in return, if they take off fine, if they say thanks great, I never expect to be paid back it's the fun of it. Also the more active people become the more noticed they are, not anyone is going to monitor this site 24/7! I always try to keep the newb threads on the front pages for info, sometime they make a quick intro and that is it, so sometimes they do get lost, sometime they come full bore and well, the fun begins. I was one of the first to bomb stad, only three of us had his addy, so when we didn't hear that he received them more of a curiosity took over because all the talking that was done. If he needed them worst then me, so be it. Trades are another animal and we have good trader section for that. Like my quote says, life it too short!!
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    14,653 Members . I think when I joined about 3 1/2 years ago it was around 2000 ish . A bomb is a bomb and by definition requires no reciprocation from the receiver . If you sent a bomb just to get one back or see your name on the forum or any other reason than you just wanted to send something to somebody for your own reasons no strings attached you did it for the wrong reason period . If your gonna have hurt feelings , or think less of the person you sent it to , or be a smart-aleck to them on the forum if they don't return fire then you did it for yourself and not them and IMHO thats not right . Getting ripped off on a trade or a purchase is totally different and you should have a case of the sore-a$$ if it was done to you intentionally .

A bomb is a gift FROM a person that loves cigars and all things related TO another person that has shown an interest and love of the leaf for no other reason than to share a common bond/love/experience/comraderie of all things CIGAR !!!

The bombs themselves have changed quite a bit over the last 3-4 years , I believe some of the older forum members will back me on that . It used to be a lot of 3-5 stick packages and not nearly as high-end as now . The overwhelming numbers and quality in my opinion probably makes a lot of new-comers to this forum a little nervous to bomb or be bombed for lack of perceived quality/acceptable inventory from which to " return fire " which i believe they perceive they must do.

Personally , I have no problem with what any member feels they want to send as a bomb or how many or to whomever , thats a brother or sisters own business - but if you do -read 1st paragraph above again and make sure your doing it for the right reasons .

Last - This response is absolutely not addressed to any one person or persons - it is just one old forum members opinion on bombs and my opinion only , on the subject in general .
    Gene, I agree 100% with you on this.

When I first got on the forum I sent out a $100.00 humidor to another brother in need, you know what I got in return? NOTHING, not even a dime to cover the $27.00 in postage that I paid. I could have pissed and moaned about it and left the forum, then look at what I would have missed out on. I have sent out hundreds of cigars, NEVER, with the intention of getting anything back in return; I always told the receipient, if they wanted to "repay" me, to bomb another newbie when they have built up a stock.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you cannot afford to send out cigars and not get anything in return, you shouldn't be sending them out. Wait until you have built up a stock of cigars, personally I didn't "bomb" anyone until 18 months after I started this hobby, simply because I didn't feel I could.

Again, a cigar is just a cigar, enjoy this hooby.