Home General Discussion
Options

brand wary?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    On further consideration of this, I also tend to avoid Romeo Y Julieta. I've had a couple of their's, and I can't handle the taste. It's not at all as smooth as they wanna let on. This may just be a personal preference, though.
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    JZerby:
    For me, it's more price than brand. I generally don't go below $3 for a single cigar, and rarely do I go even that low. The only exception to that rule I have is the CCOM Brazillian.
    I certainly can respect having refined tastes, but brother, you are missing out on some fantastic smokes in that price range!
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Steve2010:
    Here's my case for the Gurkha Crest:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/354614.aspx

The inclusion of the Gurkha Crest as the "super-premium" of choice in one of the Cigar of the Month Club shipments is when I decided I was done with the COTM club. I was furious.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    ndhaon91:
    JZerby:
    For me, it's more price than brand. I generally don't go below $3 for a single cigar, and rarely do I go even that low. The only exception to that rule I have is the CCOM Brazillian.
    I certainly can respect having refined tastes, but brother, you are missing out on some fantastic smokes in that price range!
    No doubt, like Diesel Unholy Cocktail, 5 Vegas AAA, MOW original...
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    JZerby------Im a snob man, and Im with ya on this one. Yeah I will catch a great deal from time to time on sticks I get really discounted such as AB Family Reserve, 601 Green Label, Torano Cameroon.......but generally speaking, and especially if Im at a B&M, if its 3.50 Im not buying it. Not that Im rich, $hit Im closer to poor than I am to rich, but if Im gonna smoke....and not everyday even....Im not gonna try to find the best cheapo I can find and get a ton or poop sticks in the process.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The mention of b&m pricing is a must on the topic of price vs quality...take for example the Diesel Unlimited d.7...here it runs about $3.50 or so, maybe less, but at the b&m I go to that same cigar is over $8. There is precisely one handmade cigar that can be had there for under $3, aptly named Cheap B*stard.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Gurkha - Rolls Royce of the cigar. Their MSRP vs. real pricing, inconsistency and hype completely turn me off.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm definitely brand wary. Although if I hear they had a particular cigar blended by someone else or made in a different factory I'll give it a shot.

Brands I almost always avoid:
    Anything by the Reyes family, particularly Puros Indios
    Gurkha
    Victor Sinclair
    General Cigar Products, aside from LGC and CAO although sadly both of these are deteriorating to GC standards as well
    La Perla Habana
    Oliveros
    El Mejor
    Felipe Gregorio

Probably others but I'll start there.

I saw Onyx talked about earlier. Its not a bad smoke, a lot like a RP OWR in my opinion, very earthy. But this is a perfect example of another avoidance of mine, poorly or cheesily named or banded sticks. I will almost never buy a cigar with a cheesy name or band. It took me a long time to try a Nick's Stick even though I used to always have a few bundled cigars(typically Brigades) around for driving, fishing or working outside when I wasn't going to pay it any real attention. SWAG is another example. Even nub was a stretch for me until I meet Sam.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I had this strange affliction to buying anything named Kinky Freedman. Then someone sent me one and I smoked it. Not too too shabby.
    There are numerous brands I won't ever buy. And thanks to the good BOTLs on this forum, I have tried most them. LOL.
    But, if it is gifted and not my favorite,..... I put it in the yard-gar box. Someone once said. "All cigars are good. Some are just better than others."
    I agree the spirit of the statement.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I gave Victor Sinclair as fair a chance as possible, and the line never won me over. Same thing with Oliveros. Another line I shy away from is Punch.. I smoked some when I first started out and they had the same effect on me as my three worst hangovers ever.. I will never drink Peppermint Schnapps, Seagram 7, or Old Grandad. Very bad experiences all of them.
  • Options
    JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    bigharpoon:
    ndhaon91:
    JZerby:
    No doubt, like Diesel Unholy Cocktail, 5 Vegas AAA, MOW original...
    Tell ya what: A buddy of mine from work and I are gonna be hitting the B & M on Friday before we go to work. With the exception of MOW (we're going in together on a sampler of those in a couple weeks), if they have either of the other 2 or any other in the lower price range you suggest, I'll give 'em a shot. Rules are made to be broken, after all.
  • Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I gave Victor Sinclair as fair a chance as possible, and the line never won me over. Same thing with Oliveros. Another line I shy away from is Punch.. I smoked some when I first started out and they had the same effect on me as my three worst hangovers ever.. I will never drink Peppermint Schnapps, Seagram 7, or Old Grandad. Very bad experiences all of them.

Ew! just hearing you describe this i'm getting a feel of vomit in the back of my throat.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Gurkha - Rolls Royce of the cigar. Their MSRP vs. real pricing, inconsistency and hype completely turn me off.

I saw Madurofan also did not like Gurkha, I'm on the same boat and I'm sure there are Gurkha fans but I'm just not. It seems they just produce so many brands that I've yet to be impressed by any of them. Again I'm sure i'm missing out on something good and if so let me know but I tend to stay away from Gurkha.
  • Options
    Rocky Patel vs. Gurkha was a running joke between kuzi and I for years. I think both of us have drifted away from both of those brands now. My biggest issue with Gurkha was always the flavor profile very subtle and earthy. Now with 5000 different blends made in tons of different factories they have no flavor profile, of course the same is true of RP now as well. When I pick up an AVO I can take two puffs and tell you its an AVO, same with Camacho, JdN, EPC. Both of these brands have lost that and in doing so have more or less lost my business.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Typically avoid Gurkha and Graycliff (didn't like the turbo, have been avoiding them ever since)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Rocky Patel vs. Gurkha was a running joke between kuzi and I for years. I think both of us have drifted away from both of those brands now. My biggest issue with Gurkha was always the flavor profile very subtle and earthy. Now with 5000 different blends made in tons of different factories they have no flavor profile, of course the same is true of RP now as well. When I pick up an AVO I can take two puffs and tell you its an AVO, same with Camacho, JdN, EPC. Both of these brands have lost that and in doing so have more or less lost my business.
    umm.. nothing more to add to that. i like brands that have a style all of their own.

i can pick up an AJ blend and know it is even if it is unbanded. same with DPG, Kelner, Litto Gomez, Fuente, JdN, and Camacho.

• Options
    xmacro:
    Typically avoid Gurkha and Graycliff (didn't like the turbo, have been avoiding them ever since)
    Graycliff is a tough one. Their profile is very delicate and is very hit or miss IMHO. BUT the turbo/G2 are a disgrace to me. I haven't tried one and don't intend to buy one.

When Davidoff wanted to delve into a lower priced cigar they bought camacho and cusano they did not use the Davidoff name to sell a cheaper stick.

I've read two different stories on these cigars. One is that Graycliff sold the rights to their name to the producers of the G2/Turbo and they really have nothing to do with it.
    The other is that they are the producer but the contracted it out to another factory to produce cheaper. Either way I feel it greatly devalues the brand. They should have either created another brand or bought one not used a high end name on a cheap cigar.
  • Options
    Glad to see these post. I usually see someone talk about a cigar and everyone jumping in how wonderful it is and I get to it and think WTF??? I thought maybe in age my palate changed.
  • Options
    Bucking W:
    Glad to see these post. I usually see someone talk about a cigar and everyone jumping in how wonderful it is and I get to it and think WTF??? I thought maybe in age my palate changed.
    I hear that! I often smoke a cigar and wonder wtf people are thinking when they rave about it. But if everyone liked the same cigars we'd only have a few to choose from. God bless variety.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Graycliff
    Gurkha (too many and incosistent)
    Most Rockys (also starting to have too many brands)
    VS
    Puros Indios
    Macanudo (Not a fan of mild smokes)
    Gurkha
    RYJ
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I tend to stay away from Rocky Patel, his stuff that i've had just doesn't agree with my taste. The only Gurkha that I truly like is the black dragon fury. Most gurkhas, i'll smoke if they are given to me, but I wouldn't buy them for myself.