Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Diary from Nicaragua

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! I did not want those Constantino Wire but that’s the security procedure we follow in certain posts in overseas. This comes from the diplomatic security team. I am growing some vine plants to cover them. Literally there is no tiger but theoretically might have some human tigers around…I don’t know-:) This city is safer than some parts of Washington DC or LA.
    Streater:
    What's the Constantino Wire for? Keep tigers out? Beautiful place. You live well, Sir!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    AWESOME Thanks for sharing these pictures and your experience with us. VERY jelous.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Amazing as always, Rip. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Doug...you are a professional landscaper. I am an amature. I learned about landscaping in South Africa watching different gardens. As you know that they are an expert on this job using indigenous succulent, rocks and different plants. Any suggestion to improve my garden? Thank you in advance.
    laker1963:
    AWESOME Thanks for sharing these pictures and your experience with us. VERY jelous.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Doug...you are a professional landscaper. I am an amature. I learned about landscaping in South Africa watching different gardens. As you know that they are an expert on this job using indigenous succulent, rocks and different plants. Any suggestion to improve my garden? Thank you in advance.
    laker1963:
    PM to you.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options

Along with cigar, I have many other hobbies. One of them is gardening, landscaping and collect wild orchid. I collected this orchid two years ago from a place in Nicaragua, calls Jinotega. Jinotega is famous for it’s lush tropical jungle and coffee plantation.

After a year of hard word, I was unable to grow flower to this wild orchid plant. While I was smoking cigar this morning and walking around my garden, suddenly the flower caught my attention- O my God. Apparently, the flower bloomed couple days ago. Couple times, I was close to throw the orchid plant but patience paid off finally-J I just wanted to share a picture.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:

Along with cigar, I have many other hobbies. One of them is gardening, landscaping and collect wild orchid. I collected this orchid two years ago from a place in Nicaragua, calls Jinotega. Jinotega is famous for it’s lush tropical jungle and coffee plantation.

After a year of hard word, I was unable to grow flower to this wild orchid plant. While I was smoking cigar this morning and walking around my garden, suddenly the flower caught my attention- O my God. Apparently, the flower bloomed couple days ago. Couple times, I was close to throw the orchid plant but patience paid off finally-J I just wanted to share a picture.
    Photobucket
    My mother absolutely loves orchids. Every Mother's day I get her a new orchid plant. She has over a dozen different types growing on her garden. Thanks for sharing Rip.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Cigars and orchids? hobbies? Need any help?
  • Options

Nicaragua is famous for whale watching and turtle hatching this time. Few weeks ago I took my family for a short vacation in San Juan del Sur. Here are some pictures. I took a picture of whale but local authority does not allow taking picture of turtle during hatching. We spent a night in this guesthouse runs by a Belgian couple. I will always remember this tour. Man, I love Nicaragua :

The guest house Photobucket
    Beautiful rainbow Photobucket
    Beautiful sunset from the balcony Photobucket Photobucket
    Next day woke up with a beautiful tropical view Photobucket
    After a Belgian breakfast smoked a Viaje Platino Reserva # 6 Photobucket
    Dolphin playing on the side of my boat Photobucket
    Ah !Finally the whale Photobucket
    Kids couldn’t wait to jump from the boat to enjoy the remote island of Costa Rica Photobucket
    Time to say good bye but not before saying that I love Nicaraguan natural beauty Photobucket
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I love that last one. Man makes me want to move there. Been thinking of going to the DR for a month, might have to swing your way too.
  • Options
    Glen...anytime. Please let me know when you finalize your plan. You are welcome at least for a dinner and many cigars in my house.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I love that last one. Man makes me want to move there. Been thinking of going to the DR for a month, might have to swing your way too.
  • Options
    Very nice of you. My wife and I have been wanting to go to the DR for at least a month, rent a house or something. We have plans of moving there and wanted to get a feel for it. But I'd love to go to your neck of the woods as well. Were going to go there this winter but now it's looking like next year. And it would be great to have a person we could connect with and get some insight on what it is like.
  • Options
    Ah...I see planning to retire overseas. Well...Nicaragua is a great country not good for buying a property. We have(U.S. Citizens) many legal disputes with the local government over the ownership of land. well, I thought couple times to buy a beach front property here but was warned by the Embassy not to get into the mess. However, still this is a great country with friendly people. I hope you can make it. I will do whatever I can to make your trip memorable.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Very nice of you. My wife and I have been wanting to go to the DR for at least a month, rent a house or something. We have plans of moving there and wanted to get a feel for it. But I'd love to go to your neck of the woods as well. Were going to go there this winter but now it's looking like next year. And it would be great to have a person we could connect with and get some insight on what it is like.
  • Options
    I'll keep ya posted
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Truly beautiful, Rip. Consider yourself envied, kind sir.
  • Options

Last weekend I had a great short vacation at this place. I reviewed Graycliff Cryastal EL 2010 from this place. Rancho Santana is a world-class resort and residential community located on the Pacific coast of Nicaragua. It boasts 2,700 acres of rolling hills and two miles of rocky and dramatic shore, broken up by five distinct beaches nestled in their own hideaways. Make the Ranch your home. This place has all kinds of entertainment facilities – horseback riding, tennis, snorkeling, surfing, fishing, hiking, swimming, pool everything a vacation destination can offer. I rented a villa and planning to go back soon. Please visit the link below to see some great pictures or for a vacation plan :

http://ranchosantana.com

What a great ocean looking balcony to smoke
    Photobucket Photobucket
    I ate a lot lol. You can say why
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    The veiws are spectacular
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Perfect place to relax and smoke cigars
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    I am very much in love with Nicaragua. I can't even think about leaving this beautiful country but I know I have to. Meanwhile, I am trying to enjoy as much as possible.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Bottle it and send me some!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Rick, only if I knew how to do it LOL
    beatnic:
    Bottle it and send me some!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Every time I see your pics I wish I could jump on a plane. Same goes with my uncle when he sends me pics of Hawaii.
  • Options
    This is almost the end of rainy season in Nicaragua. This is the time when flowers bloom and the tropical garden looks more colorful. I love nature and spend a lot of time with gardening. My gardener is very knowledgeable about local plants. He helps me to keep my hobby very interesting. I just wanted to share some pictures I took this morning. Maybe I will review a cigar after launch while enjoying the colorful garden. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. If my yard looked like that, I'd have a real hard time ever leaving there.
    Those are absolutely breath taking.

I can't believe I just said that.
    Some day, I would love to see a place like that.

I'm glad you share those with us. It really is beautiful and when you live in a "grey" area like the Pacific Northwest, it helps to see things like that. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Once I lived in LaPaz, Bolivia- 12,000 fit above sea level- cold and dry. I think I love lush green, rain and humidity. I have never been to OR but I heard it is beautiful or I am so naive to understand Pacific Northwest. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the pictures. Thanks!
    0patience:
    Ok. If my yard looked like that, I'd have a real hard time ever leaving there.
    Those are absolutely breath taking.

I can't believe I just said that.
    Some day, I would love to see a place like that.

I'm glad you share those with us. It really is beautiful and when you live in a "grey" area like the Pacific Northwest, it helps to see things like that. LOL!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Can I come visit??I'll never leave lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    You are welcome to visit anytime...we can discuss about leaving some other time LOL.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Can I come visit??I'll never leave lol
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Once I lived in LaPaz, Bolivia- 12,000 fit above sea level- cold and dry. I think I love lush green, rain and humidity. I have never been to OR but I heard it is beautiful or I am so naive to understand Pacific Northwest. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the pictures. Thanks!
    I'm finding the older I get, the more I see the beauty in things like that.
    Oregon and the Pacific Northwest are beautiful in the summer but grey and dreary in winter.
    Things like those pictures are why I like places like Victoria, BC in the late spring and early summer.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    rzaman:
    I'm finding the older I get, the more I see the beauty in things like that.
    Oregon and the Pacific Northwest are beautiful in the summer but grey and dreary in winter.
    Things like those pictures are why I like places like Victoria, BC in the late spring and early summer.
    I understand completely Tony.. It gets you down after awhile.
  • Options

This is the first post on “My Father tour”. I met many cigar makers in my life but by far Pepin is one of the most sincere and friendlier cigar personality I have ever experienced. His wife and son Jamie are also wonderful people. Unfortunately, I did not meet Jennie. They all greeted me with wide open arm and the hospitality reminded me about my most recent trip to Cuba, its people and the culture. Pepin drove me around and very patiently answered all my questions. I did not expect that. I was surprised how straight forward person he is. He practically remembers hundreds of his employees’ names. I felt his strong bond and connection with his firm and all the related people. He is a self-made person and I can see how proud he is with his success. He took me to his most recently developed tobacco plantation and showed his Criollo 98 plants. The way he was touching the leaves, it made me think like he was caressing his babies. I felt his bondness where words were irrelevant. When he was showing me his most favorite Pelo de Oro tobacco, his eyes were full of joy and happiness. He reminds a lot about Cuban Don Alejandro Robina. Here are few pictures:
    photo Pepin_zps364de495.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13020_zps04aa11bb.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13011_zpsec194680.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13010_zpsed32c3b1.jpg
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    WOW! I know where in the world i want to visit next...wow!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    This...thread...is...so...cool.
    Can't wait to hear more about the rest of the MF tour.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man U r so lucky, I may have not came back. Thanks for the great read.