Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Diary from Nicaragua

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    This is mango season and my Golden retrievers are excited to have fresh mango everyday LOL:
    photo Gigante13014_zps74f3389a.jpg The mother
    photo Gigante13009_zps41b36783.jpg photo Gigante13010_zpsb8bcb278.jpg And the daughter both are mango lovers
    photo Gigante13012_zps2bf92105.jpg photo Gigante13015_zpsef10f58b.jpg
  • Options
    Last week I took three days of vacation. Nicaragua is a beautiful country and I always escape from work whenever I have a chance. I rented this house and took my family with me. All I did is- cook, eat, smoke, relax and read books. I love nature and this was a perfect break for me. I wish I could have lived here forever. Here are some pictures:
    photo Gigante13032_zps0f4de9bf.jpg photo Gigante13007_zps0ac25708.jpg photo Gigante13023_zps2528940e.jpg photo Gigante13086_zps02551701.jpg photo Gigante13155_zps478e47d5.jpg photo Gigante13275_zps11e9b915.jpg photo Gigante13287_zps79e97ac9.jpg
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Nature is a wonderful thing... Scientifically proven to lower stress, blood pressure, and pretty much all the BS in life. I love gettig out man... Nothing more relaxing then a good view and the calming sounds of the wind.
  • Options
    Sorry guys, I am trying to compile information in couple of threads now. This way it will be easy for me to keep the information updated. It is getting very difficult to keep track of my threads for update purpose.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Nicaraguan Association of Tobacco announces next March, in Managua, in order to present the best product brands in the country. The Nicaraguan Association of Tobacco, ANT, prepares the tasting of the 13 best brands of cigars for March 15 in Managua, as announced today Nestor Plasencia, president of the organization. "We want to present to the Nicaraguans, smokers fans, executives of multinational companies and the best brands of cigars made in Nicaragua. (Just as) emphasize the attributes and qualities of the companies and their products, "said Plasencia. Plasencia said that those attending the event will receive a gift of 39 cigars, at three different brands for each participating company. They can also observe and interact with a group of cigar artisans.

All top Nicaraguan cigar makers will be there- very exciting. I will keep you posted.
    Photobucket
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just came back from the cigar event. It was a lot of fun and collected all the top cigar samples from Nicaragua. Met some old cigar folks Orlando and George Padron, J. Drew, Nestor Placensia but the highlight and most interesting part was to meet Pepin (the first time) and Jamie Garcia. I have to say They are the most humble non-Cuban cigar makers I have ever met in my life. I never tried hard to meet Pepin in person but I knew couple of their marketing people. Pepin and Jamie personally invited me to visit their factory and I told them that I have already made the plan. Anyway, now I am more excited to visit My Father. Jamie personally assured me to show A to Z. He doesn't speak english but I don't speak perfect Spanish either. I think I will be fine with my poor Spanish.

I will write more about the cigar event with pictures this weekend. Stay tuned...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some pictures of the top Nicaraguan cigar samplers from the event. I will talk about the event with pictures tonight in a separate thread:
    photo CC2002-2_zps7a542c76.jpg photo CC2015_zps4917b3fe.jpg photo CC2014-1_zpsf81e152f.jpg photo CC2013-2_zpsbcaf03f7.jpg photo CC2012-1_zpsf8684220.jpg photo CC2011-2_zps37963bbd.jpg
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

These are some quick pics from last night Cigar Event- “Puro Humo 2013” in Managua. The goal of this event was to introduce top Nicaraguan cigars to the Nicaraguan smokers, Multi-National Corporation, Diplomats and the Government Officials who are not very familiar with Nicaraguan brands. Almost all the major Nicaraguan cigar makers gathered together and introduced themselves as well as their products- such as Plasencia, My father, Padron, Drew Estate, Perdomo, A. J. Fernandez, Scandinavian Tobacco, Joya de Nicaragua, Oliva and more. Total 13 cigar top Nicaraguan manufacturer gathered at this event. I also saw Colins the editor of Cigar Journal magazine. I also saw him in the Partagas cigar festival in Cuba in December/12. I talked to all of them for a short period of time with knowing they were busy with promoting their products. Here are some pictures:

Three cigar legends Nestor Plasencia Sr., Orlando padron and Don Pepin garcia:
    photo DSCN2736_zpsfbef5a69.jpg photo DSCN2727_zpsb05313ec.jpg photo DSCN2726_zpscb27ca42.jpg photo DSCN2714_zps2449655d.jpg photo DSCN2708_zps02a61141.jpg photo DSCN2704_zpsa587d8ab.jpg photo DSCN2700_zps1f0326be.jpg photo DSCN2693_zpsad3cadc9.jpg photo DSCN2701_zps9a0e1f25.jpg photo DSCN2733_zps82c7c9f1.jpg
  • Options

Folks, I know I am late to post some pictures of my tour in Pepin Garcia's factory. Here is the first batch. This time, I am just posting about his factory not about the tobacco field and barns. This is the most modern and state of art tobacco factory in Nicaragua.

The Administrative building. The factory is not located at this building.
    photo MyFathertripMarch13020_zpsa1771d06.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13010_zpsed32c3b1.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13011_zpsec194680.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13028_zpsc07029c9.jpg
    Packaging room
    photo MyFathertripMarch13235_zpse818da3e.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13229_zps7f8890fe.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13313_zpsb2026620.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13358_zpsd852f045.jpg
    How many Blue Label you want LOL
    photo MyFathertripMarch13338_zpsd1525f83.jpg
    More pictures later.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    Man U r so lucky, I may have not came back. Thanks for the great read.
    +100
  • Options

AJ Fernandez’s tobacco operation is very impressive and one of best in Nicaragua. I visited more or less all the major Nicaraguan tobacco farms but by far AJ’s farm and factory is the most modern and well managed. He even uses bio tracking system and air conditioning for the rollers in his rolling room. I think Pepin will come to the second and Placensia to third, Padron fourth and Drew fifth. With due respect of the Drew Estate cigar lovers, Drew might produces more cigars with well managed operation but I do not consider them as a quality cigar maker rather than produces mass production cigars with marketing hype. This is a personal opinion so no need to start a debate. At the end the best cigar is the one an individual enjoy to smoke, doesn’t matter the quality or the price.

AJ is a very hard working guy and he is not only in business to make money. He has been in changing his business strategy to produce more and more quality and truly limited edition cigars. He has been conducting various experiments with different seeds and wrapper. He just came back from an overseas trip and negotiated a successful deal for good wrapper leaf. I don’t want to mention the name because every cigar maker has his own production strategy and the business secret. Currently he is in process to build the largest curing barn in Nicaragua. I will post a picture here.

AJ like to call himself a country boy. He is not only into cigar but also into farming where he has cows, pigs, ducks, chicken, roosters and dogs with many tropical fruit plants. His pigs are corn fed and the meat delivers better flavors. I saw his tobacco plantation with another popular cigar maker- boy you can see the differences side by side thought they were planted the same time with similar seeds. AJ control the quality from seeds to the finished goods- the cigar. AJ and I talked a lot about American, Asian and European cigar market, marketing strategy, the overall business strategy and beyond. He has huge living quarter next to his factory where the buyers can spend nights with good food and relax with a nice TV area, large sitting area, swimming pool, mini bar, basketball court and spacious green space. He is serious about business you can easily tell. He gave me the access to see everything and wanted me to gain knowledge as much as possible within few days. He invited my entire family so my wife and kids were with AJs family in his house and I spent all my time with tobacco. I had lunch and dinner in his house and enjoyed all kinds of Cuban food. His wife is a great cook and the entire family is very kind and humble people. His mother and sisters are also very friendly. It is truly a family run business. I visited Cuba few times and was very happy to be treated with my favorite typical Cuban hospitality. As you know that I am a huge fan of Cuba, its cigars and the culture. I believe, I not only love cigar but also enjoy what it brings to me- the culture, friendship and knowledge around it. I am a cigar fact finder.

I haven’t wrote a while and feel tried to type-? I will put some caption with different pictures to provide you a preliminary view about AJ’s operation in Nicaragua. Actually you need to see with your own eyes to understand the vastness of his cigar operation. I have been doing research on cigar, planation, business and its culture for years but AJ helped me to open my eyes along with Pepin. I wouldn’t have known as much as now without AJ’s true friendship, trust and guidance. I sincerely appreciate AJ’s honesty and willingness to share the true facts about the industry. This is the second posts of a series of Nicaraguan cigar industry. I did briefly about Pepin’s operation but it was very basic. This will only be about AJ’s factory and his guesthouse not about the plantation.

Hope you enjoy it.

AJ Fernandez beautiful factory compound
    photo IMG_7226_zpsb70538a0.jpg photo IMG_7220_zpsd3282c5b.jpg
    The rollers in the factory
    photo IMG_7161_zpsd508713a.jpg photo IMG_7181_zpsfe0712d8.jpg photo IMG_7173_zpsa0482ed7.jpg photo IMG_7240_zps4bd128c2.jpg photo IMG_7256_zps879e57e4.jpg
    packing and stored to be delivered. still in a controlled temperature
    photo IMG_7199_zps3222effd.jpg photo IMG_7205_zpsf7c9e2d9.jpg photo IMG_7213_zps6a6bcf26.jpg
    Going to be the largest curing barn in Nicaragua. AJ is very proud of this projects along with other
    photo IMG_7597_zps7b56492c.jpg photo image_zpsd8d2baec.jpg
    It was nice to see some old friends in AJ's office. Gary Griffith from Emelio and Chris and Kyle from Ezra Zion
    photo IMG_7157_zps15c8582b.jpg
    AJ is going to release this cigar soon. Another limited edition cigar
    photo image_zpsb9a85eec.jpg
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is great. I will enjoy looking through this thread.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Fascinating stuff Rip. Definitely inspired me to check out some of AJ's latest offerings.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is so amazing, Rip! It's like perusing someone's diary of their trip to Heaven! You are so blessed to have these wonderful experiences, brother! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, awesome!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you need a valet/butler/or someone to carry your cigars..? I could drop everything and be right there.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Do you need a valet/butler/or someone to carry your cigars..? I could drop everything and be right there.
    +1 I'd happily apply for a spot in your posse!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Thanks you all for your kind comments. I will try to update it more often from now on.
  • Options
    Hi Tony, we will see more and more Limited Edition one time release cigars from AJ like Mayimbe from now on.
    SleevePlz:
    Fascinating stuff Rip. Definitely inspired me to check out some of AJ's latest offerings.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm fascinated by the modernity "rankings". I'd think Drew, being fairly new, would have been more modern...then again I agree with some of what you say about them, too.

A.J. fascinates me. His story is great. His cigars are good. Few of them are on my "best cigars I've smoked" list, but many of them are in my regular rotation because they are incredibly consistent (and good) and quite affordable.

As always, thanks for taking the time to share your adventures with us. I love living vicariously through others!

And I hope AJ continues to hone his craft and bring us more bundles of pleasure, LE or not!

rzaman:
    Hi Tony, we will see more and more Limited Edition one time release cigars from AJ like Mayimbe from now on.
    SleevePlz:
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Love this thread. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    How was that soon to be released cigar?
  • Options
    I have been working on my personalized cigar over four years. Finally, I ended up with my friend AJ Fernandez- the person who I trust the most in the cigar industry. The cigars are rolled but it can't be completed without an elegant looking band. I have been working on it almost a year. The band design was developed(with my specification and idea) by the Spanish company Humidif who also designed the Cohiba Behike band. I am still undecided where to print it- Spain or Netherlands. This is my life long dream to make my own cigar for my personal consumption. I put my heart and soul to this project. All I wanted is a band which would represents my personality, believe, taste and beyond. Before doing this I had no idea how much work it is to develop a band from the scratch. After going through 17 different designs, I am close to finalize it. Wish me luck because I get so confused sometime. I believe I am close...maybe. I will add some pictures soon.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll get it old friend.
    Personalized art is a tough one.
    Anyone who has gotten a tattoo that is personal to them with meaning knows this.
    My logo on my website went through several dozen designs before we settled on the one that is on that site now.
    Any artwork with meaning is difficult, because what you want it to look like can change with your mood.
    Good luck buddy.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Ah Tony- the wise man. How are you doing my friend? You understood my dilemma because you are an artist. It's getting there. I am struggling with two versions. Thank you so much for your wise words.
    0patience:
    You'll get it old friend.
    Personalized art is a tough one.
    Anyone who has gotten a tattoo that is personal to them with meaning knows this.
    My logo on my website went through several dozen designs before we settled on the one that is on that site now.
    Any artwork with meaning is difficult, because what you want it to look like can change with your mood.
    Good luck buddy.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cant wait to see it.
  • Options

Finally after my four and a half years of hard work, research, tasting various cigars from all over the world, traveling to tobacco growing countries, after carefull selection of aged tobacco from five different countries- my dream has come true.
    photo imagejpg3_zps8c4e79c4.jpg
    I have been misguided to a certain extent, completely discouraged and challenged by some so-called famous cigar gurus. They all said making an exceptional quality cigar cannot be done by a non-Cuban or someone from outside the cigar industry until I met my friend A.J. Fernandez. He took his time, educated me, walked me through some lessons and helped me to create my own blend. Before I met AJ, I failed a couple of times but I never gave up. I was always determined to create what I wanted- a true top notch balanced aromatic cigar with rare and aged tobacco. Finally I have achieved my goal. I will always cherish this experience.
    photo imagejpg2_zpscefd570f.jpg
    Lord Ripon cigars are for my personal consumption only, not for sale. Finally, I achieved my goal when every odd was against my favor. It is so true that "If you dare to dream then you can make it happen".
    photo imagejpg1_zpsd831f9f0.jpg
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is awesome. Congratulations Rip.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Congrats man, and nice work on the band design.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Just...wow. Congratulations!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The wrappers look great! What leaf did you choose?
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Just amazing.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"