LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    rad1964:
    I've cured my own bacon!

B A C O N

ok, I'm going to rad's for dinner!
    Bring bigger pants!
  • Options
    2. Wisconsin (Wando's): Every Tuesday night, this joint on University Avenue in Madison sells Pabst Blue Ribbon and Bud Light drafts for buck and gives away free, all-you-can-eat bacon. Yes, you read that correctly. FREE BACON. This might be the most delicious reason why the terrorists hate us.
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    magicseven:
    2. Wisconsin (Wando's): Every Tuesday night, this joint on University Avenue in Madison sells Pabst Blue Ribbon and Bud Light drafts for buck and gives away free, all-you-can-eat bacon. Yes, you read that correctly. FREE BACON. This might be the most delicious reason why the terrorists hate us.
    I guess Wisconsin isn't ALL about the cheese!image

• Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    magicseven:
    ROTFL. Ive been there and seen it! Havent indulged yet however.... :)
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Lasabar:
    bbc020:
    rad1964:
    I've cured my own bacon!

B A C O N

Bring bigger pants!
    No, not bigger pants; SWEATS! Stretchy waist bands rock, especially for those of us....um.... I mean those of you who are out of shape and over 40!
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Jdorais:
    Lasabar:
    bbc020:
    rad1964:
    I've cured my own bacon!

B A C O N

Bring bigger pants!
    No, not bigger pants; SWEATS! Stretchy waist bands rock, especially for those of us....um.... I mean those of you who are out of shape and over 40!
    I don't wear sweat pants... the crotch wears out too fast..........
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know someone who hangs the strips from his oven rack using clothespins and bakes his bacon that way.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

That 12 hour Sous Vide technique is hardcore.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take the all-you-can-eat bacon, please.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son believes it to be a crime against humanity if we run out of bacon, bacon bits, or homemade Bacon ranch mayo.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IndustMech said:

@TNBigfoot68 said:
    My son believes it to be a crime against humanity if we run out of bacon, bacon bits, or homemade Bacon ranch mayo.

He better stay away from Brad
    @avengethis

You better believe that bacon is never safe!

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options

@VegasFrank puts water in the pan. Waiting for him to post the recipe.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to either bake on parchment, or cast iron with a bit of water. The cast iron with water renders a lot more of the fat.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

High cholesterol on the other hand....

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to use thick cut smoked bacon as a flavoring agent rather than eating it straight. Oink!!!!

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

Here you go @Stubble @Yakster @IndustMech

8 pieces of perfect bacon:

1. Go fetch your broiler pan, discard the top.
    2. Layout eight pieces of bacon in the pan. Lining the pan with foil is optional. Makes it harder to collect the bacon grease but easier to clean the pan.
    3. Sprinkle three or four tablespoons of water on top of the bacon.
    4. Put the pan in your oven on the middle rack. Then turn the oven on to 400°.
    5. Bacon will be done in 12 to 20 minutes depending on thickness, your oven, the starting temperature of your bacon, whether your broiler pan is non-stick, whether you used foil, and a some other factors.

You'll know your bacon is done when you get that nice medium rose color and translucent fat. Darker red is more crispy and cardboard like. Very pink and white is very floppy.

The water in the pan slows down the Maillard reaction and allows all of the bacon to come up to temperature at the same time. A better, more even cook results in more rendered collagen and fat, which produces a better crisp without a burn. This is also why I cook the bacon from a cold oven instead of a preheated one.

If you like your bacon floppy like a sociopath, then pull it out a minute or two earlier and don't let it set. Go from pan to plate to mouth in a minute or two.

If you're not a sociopath, pull the bacon out and put it on a paper towel. It will continue to cook, and overcook, in the pan.

Of course if you like crispy and greasy bacon, go from the pan to the plate and let rest for about 3 minutes.

Please tell them I'm right @Patrickbrick.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Oh and if you are a psychopath and a sociopath, you can crinkle your foil up and then line your pan with it, so the fat collects under the bacon. If you do this, please let me know so I can change my phone number if you know it.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

This is getting into roast profile OCD territory here with your bacon starting from cold and extending the development time. I love it.

I want to see someone connect a PID to their toaster oven and develop the perfect profiles for bacon based on brand, thickness, and origin.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    This is getting into roast profile OCD territory here with your bacon starting from cold and extending the development time. I love it.

I want to see someone connect a PID to their toaster oven and develop the perfect profiles for bacon based on brand, thickness, and origin.

Starting from a cold oven also lets you take your time with the rest of the meal, giving you plenty of time to make a perfect poached egg, hash, potatoes, or any other concoction you might come up with.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited December 2023

I have to admit that lately I've been gravitating more to breakfast sausage links over bacon. It's faster to prepare and I really do enjoy those little links with breakfast.

No matter if it's bacon or sausage, I apply a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper to the pork meat while cooking.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with most of this.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who are you calling a sociopath, you sociopath...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Who are you calling a sociopath, you sociopath...

Takes one to know one, I guess 😉😜

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

But neither one gives a rat's ass about the other, lol.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease? How's that help?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain