Options

Cohiba.......real?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    camgfs:
    zeebra:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Since we are on topic, I have a picture I can share. Here is a picture of a real Cohiba and a fake...the fake is from the Bahamas and one of the better ones I have seen...

Thats a pretty damn good fake. I don't even know which is the real or fake one!
    My guess is the one on the left is the fake. Hope I'm right, lol.
    That would be my guess, but the angle makes it a bit difficult to do a comparison. The bottom row of white dots looks too close to the gold ring, and the lines are not as clean as the sample on the right.
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I agree, my guess would be the one on the left as the fake. The paper doesn't look as smooth as it should and the lettering doesn't look sharp.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Correct, Left is the fake. Dots are a little off, Cohiba naming is a little too large, and the triple cap on the right one versus a double on the left.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Correct, Left is the fake. Dots are a little off, Cohiba naming is a little too large, and the triple cap on the right one versus a double on the left.
    Now I have to examine EVERY Cohiba that I have with a magnifying glass = Thanks for making me paranoid! LOL

What I was looking at in your picture was the cap, the lack of oily sheen and the wrapper itself. Not to mention that most fakes are a larger ring gage because so many people think that Cuban cigars have to be HUGE. In truth, only a select few Cuban cigars have large ring gages.
  • Options
    camgfs:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Now I have to examine EVERY Cohiba that I have with a magnifying glass = Thanks for making me paranoid! LOL

What I was looking at in your picture was the cap, the lack of oily sheen and the wrapper itself. Not to mention that most fakes are a larger ring gage because so many people think that Cuban cigars have to be HUGE. In truth, only a select few Cuban cigars have large ring gages.
    Absolutely correct. A great smoke can be good real or fake, you just decrease the odds significantly :)
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Absolutely correct. A great smoke can be good real or fake
    I would beg to differ on this, anyone with any skill rolling either rolls for a factory or for themselves or both...anyone that can roll and is trying to fake a brand the product will be garbage, that I am certain of...
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Absolutely correct. A great smoke can be good real or fake
    I would beg to differ on this, anyone with any skill rolling either rolls for a factory or for themselves or both...anyone that can roll and is trying to fake a brand the product will be garbage, that I am certain of...
    That wasn't the entire quote, so now it's misrepresented, the last part was the kick to explain the odds. I'm sure there is a great tasting cuban fake out there somewhere, someone must make one...I am not going to search for it, but there is a very high likelihood that it exists.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubancigarwebsite.com. Lots of info on what is happening in the Cuban cigar industry. Also, to check on fakies, habanos.com is good.
  • Options
    seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    AWESOME I had just purchased this stick yesterday $11.00 Photobucket
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I have been enjoying reading this thread. Thanks KingoftheCove.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    That angle makes those "b"s look odd imo.
  • Options
    seagarlover:
    AWESOME I had just purchased this stick yesterday $11.00
    Lets just say it's a good thing you only spent $11 on that lol
  • Options
    scarlin:
    That angle makes those "b"s look odd imo.
    Here's the dead giveaway...on the bottom of the "C", the little tail that loops over and through the bottom. On the real Cohiba band that doesn't happen, but there are quite a few fakes that use the incorrect font.
  • Options
    seagarlover:
    AWESOME I had just purchased this stick yesterday $11.00 Photobucket

For the sake of comparison, here's a real band.

• Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    +1, unfortunately not real!
  • Options
    1] I received a few "PUNCH" CGARS from a friend of mine last week he had them sitting in his bedroom for about 3 months, they are hard and if I were to bend them they would probably crumble, I am going to do what I have done in the past. find a HUMI that U are not using, if not use a plastic ziplock bag. it will take about 5-6 months before you even think about smoking it. so back to the repair. if U have a box that is sealed, put the CGAR in the box and put a shot glass in the box with the stogy. this is the safest way I was told buy a gentleman at CIGAR AFAC Magazine. 2] I'm going to post my COHIBA STICK I paid $16.00 for it, so let's compare , mine came out of a sealed varnished COHIBA box from CUBA and I have seen many fakes this is very real as well as yours I beleive do not quote me but here it is. Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    MY PICTURES SUCK, SORRY ABOUT THAT, anyway try the trick for the stick, I don't mean to be a ***, I feel very sick, my wife is having a fit see ya later
  • Options
    Once again, here is an authentic Cuban Cohiba band for the sake of comparison. image

That little tail on the bottom of the "C" in Cuba is a dead giveaway that the cigar is fugazi. Hate to rain on your parade, but that cigar is a fake regardless of what kind of box it came out of. Remember, an authentic box doesn't make an authentic cigar. It sucks to pay $16 for a dog ****, but compared to the going rate of Cohiba EL 2004 Sublimes, I'd say you got off pretty light.
  • Options
    Why do people do this *** to us. I see my COHIBA has the tail on the C and the picture I see is no way like my fake efen COHIBA, Thank You, my friend got taken he paid $600 for the box
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    seagarlover:
    Why do people do this *** to us. I see my COHIBA has the tail on the C and the picture I see is no way like my fake efen COHIBA, Thank You, my friend got taken he paid $600 for the box
    because individuals can be greedy. they want a cut of what someone else has succeed in. sorry to hear your friend was taken. Live and learn.
  • Options
    It's that Cohiba name, people see it and want it. Sorry to hear your friend got taken so badly, that really sucks. If it were up to me, I'd take the counterfeiters and hang them by their toes while a bunch of ripped off cigar smokers got to go at them with bamboo canes...then throw them in prison for a while.
  • Options
    I would strap them into a chair and make them smoke Machine made CGARS from Walgreens. Then put them in JAIL for some [WATER BOARDING] Photobucket
  • Options
    interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    I am curious if anyone knows about the legitimacy of "Cubans" in the middle eastern duty free shops.
    I am deploying soon to the Persian Gulf, and almost every port we hit there has duty free shops that sell so called Cuban cigars.

I am considering taking an empty 150 ct. humidor just for these...

-Robert
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    interpim:
    I am curious if anyone knows about the legitimacy of "Cubans" in the middle eastern duty free shops.
    I am deploying soon to the Persian Gulf, and almost every port we hit there has duty free shops that sell so called Cuban cigars.

I am considering taking an empty 150 ct. humidor just for these...

-Robert
    I would hit up Steve2010...shoot him a PM, he's rocking them all the time
  • Options
    seagarlover, here is a legit Cohiba Sublime EL 2004, this cigar is one of the rarer Cubans out there and carries a very hefty price tag...unfortunately, there are those out there that pray on cigar enthusiasts and the Cohiba name...it's always a good idea to check in here or with any other knowledeable cigar forums you may be part of prior to buying anything like this as tempting as it may be in fear of losing "the deal"

• Options
    I took the COHIBA FAKE back to my friend, he got on the phone with the tobacco wholesaler who sold him the box, he is not only getting his $600 back he is getting 5 boxes of PUNCH RARE COROJO for not turning the guy in, he also gave me 3 ALEC BRADLEY PRES. AND 2 LA AROMA EE for my troubles. his friend {so called} gave him a big story on how he had the COHIBA'S brought in the the US. I said it was easy, they were fakes. this picture is not of an EE I do not have a picture of me smoking one as of yet Anyway thank U so much for all your help today Photobucket
  • Options
    He's getting his money back? That's fantastic, I'm happy to hear it. Sounds like the guy who sold them did so not knowing they were counterfeit ( I hope), which goes to highlight what Steve mentioned, the need to know what you're buying before you buy it. Cuban cigars are definitely a "buyer beware" market, diligence is a must.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But do you guys remember these?!?

Photobucket
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this is the story behind the old "Republica Dominicana" Cohiba. I got these a few weeks ago but they are supposed to be "older". I picked them up for $2.00 a stick and if I don't like them I am giving them out when my son is born.

In the mid 90's, there were two Dominican cigar companies (General Cigar Co. & Monticristi Co.) producing non-Cuban "Cohiba" brand cigars. General Cigar Co. manufactured "red dot" Cohibas in which the cigar band was black and white and the "o" in the word "Cohiba" was filled in with a red dot. This caused people to give the cigars the nickname "red dots". Monticristi Company (who produced Dominican Cohiba cigars first) produced yellow band Cohibas which resembled the original pre-1990's Cuban Cohiba band except at the bottom of the band, it read "Republica Dominicana". (Monticristi also produced "Indian Head" Cohibas. Design-wise, the band was also similar to the pre-90's Cohiba band but instead of the word "Cohiba", the cigar band would have the Cuban Cohiba "Indian head" logo. These cigars were considered to be yellow label “factory seconds”.) Both General Cigar and Montricristi produced these cigars to cash in on the popularity of the [Cuban] Cohiba name but because neither owned the US trademark for the name, both companies were allowed to produce and sell their cigars simultaneously. General Cigar Co. eventually claimed the trademark rights to the name "Cohiba" so they were allowed to legally produce their red dot Cohibas. As a result, Monticristi Company was ordered to stop producing their Cohibas but was allowed to sell off their existing supply of yellow label cigars. Though yellow band Cohibas are not being produced anymore, you can still find existing supplies of these cigars in the Dominican Republic and the United States. Montricristi Cohibas are fairly inexpensive but fading in supply while red dot Cohibas normally have a high price (due to the popular brand name) and are commonly available in the United States. General Cigar Co. has also expanded the non-Cuban brand now (ie: Cohiba XV).
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    I guess this is the story behind the old "Republica Dominicana" Cohiba. I got these a few weeks ago but they are supposed to be "older". I picked them up for $2.00 a stick and if I don't like them I am giving them out when my son is born.

In the mid 90's, there were two Dominican cigar companies (General Cigar Co. & Monticristi Co.) producing non-Cuban "Cohiba" brand cigars. General Cigar Co. manufactured "red dot" Cohibas in which the cigar band was black and white and the "o" in the word "Cohiba" was filled in with a red dot. This caused people to give the cigars the nickname "red dots". Monticristi Company (who produced Dominican Cohiba cigars first) produced yellow band Cohibas which resembled the original pre-1990's Cuban Cohiba band except at the bottom of the band, it read "Republica Dominicana". (Monticristi also produced "Indian Head" Cohibas. Design-wise, the band was also similar to the pre-90's Cohiba band but instead of the word "Cohiba", the cigar band would have the Cuban Cohiba "Indian head" logo. These cigars were considered to be yellow label “factory seconds”.) Both General Cigar and Montricristi produced these cigars to cash in on the popularity of the [Cuban] Cohiba name but because neither owned the US trademark for the name, both companies were allowed to produce and sell their cigars simultaneously. General Cigar Co. eventually claimed the trademark rights to the name "Cohiba" so they were allowed to legally produce their red dot Cohibas. As a result, Monticristi Company was ordered to stop producing their Cohibas but was allowed to sell off their existing supply of yellow label cigars. Though yellow band Cohibas are not being produced anymore, you can still find existing supplies of these cigars in the Dominican Republic and the United States. Montricristi Cohibas are fairly inexpensive but fading in supply while red dot Cohibas normally have a high price (due to the popular brand name) and are commonly available in the United States. General Cigar Co. has also expanded the non-Cuban brand now (ie: Cohiba XV).
    Man, thanks for the history lesson! I wondered why those were so cheap at my B&M. 3$ for a Torpedo. Not a bad smoke either! I bought a box of em for my bachelor party weekend. Holding on to the last one for sentimental reasons!