Home Cigar 101
Options

Cohiba.......real?

Comments

• Options
    seagarloverseagarlover Posts: 437
    I want ti thank dennisking, I beleive your the one that put the link to CIGAR AFICIONADO, AND ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP....... If it was not for all of U I would be stuck with this fake COHIBA and my friend would have not gotten his money back, he had just called and told me that the wholesaler just dropped off his money, and as I said yesterday I was given a few great smokes for my troubles, AGAIN THANKS TO ALL OF YOU, If anything it lets us know that we can help each other in our CGAR COMMUNITY, lets all keep up the SMOKIN
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Vision:
    I guess this is the story behind the old "Republica Dominicana" Cohiba. I got these a few weeks ago but they are supposed to be "older". I picked them up for $2.00 a stick and if I don't like them I am giving them out when my son is born.

In the mid 90's, there were two Dominican cigar companies (General Cigar Co. & Monticristi Co.) producing non-Cuban "Cohiba" brand cigars. General Cigar Co. manufactured "red dot" Cohibas in which the cigar band was black and white and the "o" in the word "Cohiba" was filled in with a red dot. This caused people to give the cigars the nickname "red dots". Monticristi Company (who produced Dominican Cohiba cigars first) produced yellow band Cohibas which resembled the original pre-1990's Cuban Cohiba band except at the bottom of the band, it read "Republica Dominicana". (Monticristi also produced "Indian Head" Cohibas. Design-wise, the band was also similar to the pre-90's Cohiba band but instead of the word "Cohiba", the cigar band would have the Cuban Cohiba "Indian head" logo. These cigars were considered to be yellow label “factory seconds”.) Both General Cigar and Montricristi produced these cigars to cash in on the popularity of the [Cuban] Cohiba name but because neither owned the US trademark for the name, both companies were allowed to produce and sell their cigars simultaneously. General Cigar Co. eventually claimed the trademark rights to the name "Cohiba" so they were allowed to legally produce their red dot Cohibas. As a result, Monticristi Company was ordered to stop producing their Cohibas but was allowed to sell off their existing supply of yellow label cigars. Though yellow band Cohibas are not being produced anymore, you can still find existing supplies of these cigars in the Dominican Republic and the United States. Montricristi Cohibas are fairly inexpensive but fading in supply while red dot Cohibas normally have a high price (due to the popular brand name) and are commonly available in the United States. General Cigar Co. has also expanded the non-Cuban brand now (ie: Cohiba XV).
    Man, thanks for the history lesson! I wondered why those were so cheap at my B&M. 3$ for a Torpedo. Not a bad smoke either! I bought a box of em for my bachelor party weekend. Holding on to the last one for sentimental reasons!
    Because it still smells like stripper?
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marineatbn03:
    mmccartneydc:
    Vision:
    I guess this is the story behind the old "Republica Dominicana" Cohiba. I got these a few weeks ago but they are supposed to be "older". I picked them up for $2.00 a stick and if I don't like them I am giving them out when my son is born.

In the mid 90's, there were two Dominican cigar companies (General Cigar Co. & Monticristi Co.) producing non-Cuban "Cohiba" brand cigars. General Cigar Co. manufactured "red dot" Cohibas in which the cigar band was black and white and the "o" in the word "Cohiba" was filled in with a red dot. This caused people to give the cigars the nickname "red dots". Monticristi Company (who produced Dominican Cohiba cigars first) produced yellow band Cohibas which resembled the original pre-1990's Cuban Cohiba band except at the bottom of the band, it read "Republica Dominicana". (Monticristi also produced "Indian Head" Cohibas. Design-wise, the band was also similar to the pre-90's Cohiba band but instead of the word "Cohiba", the cigar band would have the Cuban Cohiba "Indian head" logo. These cigars were considered to be yellow label “factory seconds”.) Both General Cigar and Montricristi produced these cigars to cash in on the popularity of the [Cuban] Cohiba name but because neither owned the US trademark for the name, both companies were allowed to produce and sell their cigars simultaneously. General Cigar Co. eventually claimed the trademark rights to the name "Cohiba" so they were allowed to legally produce their red dot Cohibas. As a result, Monticristi Company was ordered to stop producing their Cohibas but was allowed to sell off their existing supply of yellow label cigars. Though yellow band Cohibas are not being produced anymore, you can still find existing supplies of these cigars in the Dominican Republic and the United States. Montricristi Cohibas are fairly inexpensive but fading in supply while red dot Cohibas normally have a high price (due to the popular brand name) and are commonly available in the United States. General Cigar Co. has also expanded the non-Cuban brand now (ie: Cohiba XV).
    Man, thanks for the history lesson! I wondered why those were so cheap at my B&M. 3$ for a Torpedo. Not a bad smoke either! I bought a box of em for my bachelor party weekend. Holding on to the last one for sentimental reasons!

Mine smell like that too! And mine havent been any wheres close to strippers!
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Vision:
    But do you guys remember these?!?

Photobucket
    thats pretty cool. Are the dr ones like that sold online anywhere?
  • Options
    taythegibs:
    Vision:
    But do you guys remember these?!?

Photobucket
    thats pretty cool. Are the dr ones like that sold online anywhere?

They use to be from all accounts.. I couldnt find any. Could be as described in the article.... maybe not....
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ive seen one but never had one. no real urge to but interesting none the less.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ive seen one but never had one. no real urge to but interesting none the less.

PM Sent
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I've seen those in truck stops, right next to cuban ones lol
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I heard if you buy them in bulk ie 30 or more they come out to about a buck a stick and they're arn't too bad according to my source?
  • Options
    bigfnsteve:
    catfishbluezz:
    I heard if you buy them in bulk ie 30 or more they come out to about a buck a stick and they're arn't too bad according to my source?

PM sent Steve
  • Options
    bigfnsteve:
    catfishbluezz:
    There is a truck stop aroudn the corner from Jason that has them...it's Herf Dog time b$tch
  • Options
    BLAH. I have no doubt mine are .... less then legit.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Here is a picture of genuine Cohiba 1966 Limited Edition 2011 release: Photobucket
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Here is a picture of genuine Cohiba 1966 Limited Edition 2011 release: Photobucket

Nice and I chuckled when I saw that post.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    marineatbn03:
    mmccartneydc:
    Vision:

Bwahahahaha! Vision, you may have the Monica edition, and marine, shhhhhhhhhhhhh! My wife still thinks we went fishing!!!!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Vision:
    marineatbn03:
    mmccartneydc:
    Vision:

Bwahahahaha! Vision, you may have the Monica edition, and marine, shhhhhhhhhhhhh! My wife still thinks we went fishing!!!!
    Omg I cut one open and it just as dry as Monica. Neither you would want near your lips.
  • Options
    Vision:
    mmccartneydc:
    Vision:
    marineatbn03:
    mmccartneydc:
    Vision:

Omg I cut one open and it just as dry as Monica. Neither you would want near your lips.
    LOL, totally agree on that one!!!!!
  • Options
    So here is a "Fake" or "Old" Cohiba. Do you really want to smoke fakes not matter the price?

Nice form. Well made.
    Photobucket
    Band is FLAWLESS. Embossed with perfect print.
    Photobucket
    Next the wrapper and Binder. Getting gross now.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Lets not forget the Cap... which has been cut.
    Photobucket
    NOW IT GETS REAL BAD. Filler... if you want to call it that.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

This is just to show you should always know where your cigars are coming from. If they look good doesn't mean they are good.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting...thanks for sharing Peter.
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I don't think that is a fake cohiba it's just not a Cuban cohiba like how the red dot is not a Cuban cohiba. The filler looks like it went through a blender though, never seen filler like that.
  • Options
    Knoxca1:
    I don't think that is a fake cohiba it's just not a Cuban cohiba like how the red dot is not a Cuban cohiba. The filler looks like it went through a blender though, never seen filler like that.
    I have been calling them fakes but I posted a story behind Cohiba in the US. They are rough tho.
  • Options
    Very interesting in deed! Thanks Vision!
  • Options
    If i had bought those, i'd still try to attempt it; after dissecting a couple of *cough* victor *cough* sinclair *cough* *cough* cigars i made it a few puffs into that looks much better to me. have any of your targets said anything about smoking one of the "cohibas" ?
  • Options
    I hope none of them smoke them. They are old and dried out. I bought them in a bundle and they looked fine. I was wrong!
  • Options
    did you try one of them? lol.
  • Options
    taythegibs:

Unfortunately......
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    taythegibs:

Unfortunately......
    Ugh!! Never had one but I can imagin it tasted like a Philly blunt lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Vision:
    taythegibs:

Unfortunately......
    Ugh!! Never had one but I can imagin it tasted like a Philly blunt lol
    Covered in dog cr4p
  • Options
    Knoxca1:
    That would be short filler....similiar to the crap in machine mades
  • Options
    mwaggonermwaggoner Posts: 1
    I was able to get the Montricristi Cohibas cigars in the twin cities and found them to be a good smoke for the money. Do you know where I might find any boxes of these now?

Mike