Options

Gun Talk

2»

Comments

• Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Luko:
    After a drunk Duty, I believe the cape buffalo is one of the most dangerous animals on the planet.
    I am going for my first cape buffalo this october. It has been a dream a long time coming. Last year I took a lion which was amazing. This year buffalo. After that maybe leopard or gizzly.
    Seriously, you killed a frickin lion? That's badass...I have heard cape buffalo is one of the most dangerous animals in Africa. So you could organize a real ccom safari.
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Ya, I am serious thinking I am going to *** myself. I have been on a buffalo hunt, but was there as backup. Ill tell you, when you lock with those things, you literally freeze.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! Alex can shoot all of the dangerous game, and we' can drink beer and smoke cigars!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    we better have the squirrel there with his automatic shotgun for backup.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Garen B:
    PuroFreak:
    I love the AR-15 and even the Mini-14. Both shoot the .223 round that has enough knock down for anything you would be hunting here in the lower 48. If you were in Alaska and going after Polar Bears then I would advise you get something with a little more punch. If you want something insanely bad ass then go with this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82
    Well I was going to suggest something with a tad bit more Oomph Puro, introducing the .700 Nitro Express, when a 50 cal round just isn't quite ridiculous enough.

Scroll down the page a bit and check out the picture comparing the .700 Nitro Express to a .45 ACP round.
    I've got the S&W 500 and the advertisement said it would take down any land animal walking. I guess the .700 would take out pretty much any animal that ever walked.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1:
    I've got the S&W 500 and the advertisement said it would take down any land animal walking. I guess the .700 would take out pretty much any animal that ever walked.

I Love my 500! I originally got it because we did a det to Alaska and a bunch of us were big time into fishing. Problem with fishing up there is most rivers we went to about 50% of the time a bear is always within sight. My 44 probably would have been sufficient(a lot easier to carry for sure), but better be safe than screwed(plus it was a perfecto reason just to justify getting one)

If you get a chance, line up 3 cinderblocks end to end and shoot em with a Hornady 300 grain Flex Tip, it'll make you appreciate the gun even more! Poor concrete blocks didnt stand a chance! If you dont want to buy a whole box PM me and ill send you a cylinder of em', probably throw ome sticks in too :).
  • Options
    405bench405bench Posts: 36

Alex Svenson:
    Luko:
    After a drunk Duty, I believe the cape buffalo is one of the most dangerous animals on the planet.
    I am going for my first cape buffalo this october. It has been a dream a long time coming. Last year I took a lion which was amazing. This year buffalo. After that maybe leopard or gizzly.

I am envious!  I go to Alaska fishing every summer but for next year I have my first Sheep hunt booked.   A two week remote fly-in to the Chugach Mtns.  Back pack and tent, so weight is a serious factor, but regardless I'll be packing a doz premium cigars!

• Options
    Be sure to pack atleast a 44 as well! I loved every minute of being outside in alaska but was always wary of bears and mtn lions....those things suck. Have more than a few of them up at the in-laws place in Big Bear
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Not to derail a thread too badly but i'm in the market for a new handgun. I own 3 1911/45acp, 44 magnum, 500 magnum, 2 .38's and a 357. I'm torn between a Smith and Wesson M&P 40, a Beretta 92FS. I've carried the 92FS at work, its a 9mm, shoots well and is fun and easy to shoot. I could break my wife into semiautos with it... but it's still a 9mm....eh. M&P shots awesome, good caliber and quality....but it's not one of my truty 45's....thoughts and opinions. Also a buckmark 22 looks like fun, could be used for plinking and small game acquisition. Probably be a good addition to my survival kit.
    I would suggest you go with the 40. There is a reason most Police Depts issue 40 cal firearms now and not 9mm. There is a big difference in knock down between the two. The PD I'm at issues 40 cal Glocks. I also have a S&W 40 cal I carry in my personal vehicle.
  • Options
    I really like the M&P 40. I'm looking at the compact model currently. I own a couple of Smith's and they make a helluva gun. I'm not too much a fan of Block pistols, i've had too many of em act up on me. Sig made the P226, the forerunner to the P229, that was an awesome weapon as well, smooth, wel balanced and very accurate. I'm also looking at 357 Sig. I have a friend with a gun that shoots that bullet, i'll pour a few boxes through it when i get home. I thought about a XD, but then i found out it was made in Croatia. I keep all my guns american made.
  • Options
    So there i was looking for some ammo to pour through the ol' shootin irons and Wal-mart x2, K-mart, Big5 and 2 local shops are drastically out of ammo. I was looking for .223, .45ACP, 38, 357 and 44. Some places were ven out of .22LR. WT Effin F!! Go onine and its even worse!! Ammoman, Ammuntion to go, hunting.com, MIDWAY USA(US's larget shooting company) All 95% sold out. I'm not at the point of being scared(close) but definatley overly concerned. Also went decided to pll the trigger(HA!) on a new M&P 40, SSSSSold the F out along with most Glocks, XD's and small revolvers. There are a few online auction sites, GA/GB that sill have them but who know for how long. What gives? Any thoughts or ideas?
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Jetmech_63:
    So there i was looking for some ammo to pour through the ol' shootin irons and Wal-mart x2, K-mart, Big5 and 2 local shops are drastically out of ammo. I was looking for .223, .45ACP, 38, 357 and 44. Some places were ven out of .22LR. WT Effin F!! Go onine and its even worse!! Ammoman, Ammuntion to go, hunting.com, MIDWAY USA(US's larget shooting company) All 95% sold out. I'm not at the point of being scared(close) but definatley overly concerned. Also went decided to pll the trigger(HA!) on a new M&P 40, SSSSSold the F out along with most Glocks, XD's and small revolvers. There are a few online auction sites, GA/GB that sill have them but who know for how long. What gives? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thats just bulls$it !!! Wtf gives ...ammo and arms mfg'better ramp up production while they still can
  • Options
    gmill880:
    405bench:

Make the gun non-rust metal (stainless) and synthetic stock.

Make the cartridge something that is readily available like Win 308, 30-06 or 270.

If it is a "just-in-case" gun  you want to be able to find ammo and you don't want to worry about rust.

Any of you guys ever heard of the term having a gun done "birdsong". I have a tactical op gun shop very close to me. Its supposedly a coating that special forces uses to rustproof their weapons. Supposedly you have this done and put say a handgun in a bucket of water for days and never worry about rust. This would be a very good thing in a "survivalist sense" for a gun. Any insight from you military guys or gun guru's ??? The guy was telling me there are two colors flat black and a dull green...

Just a gentle bump to see if anyone heard of this process ...Jet ...Puro ...anyone
  • Options
    I heard about it a while back. It's one of the better teflon based finished. A lot better than parkerizing which is basically powder coating. Birdsong in green or black coats EVERY part of the gun except the bore, all the way down to spring, sears and bolts. I'ts "self lubricating" by way of teflon....i'd still throw a mist of oil on it though. I havent actually seen it done..though a lot of fellow USPSA shooters in my club are thinking about it. Our guns get incredibly beat up and scratched and our hands get uber-sweaty = corrosion.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    I heard about it a while back. It's one of the better teflon based finished. A lot better than parkerizing which is basically powder coating. Birdsong in green or black coats EVERY part of the gun except the bore, all the way down to spring, sears and bolts. I'ts "self lubricating" by way of teflon....i'd still throw a mist of oil on it though. I havent actually seen it done..though a lot of fellow USPSA shooters in my club are thinking about it. Our guns get incredibly beat up and scratched and our hands get uber-sweaty = corrosion.

tHANKS jET
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Jetmech_63:
    A lot better than parkerizing which is basically powder coating. .
    Parkerizing is a phosphate coating (zinc or manganese, depending on the solution. If it looks or feels like a powder coating somebody did something wrong!
  • Options
    Sorry zoom, poor choice of words. But i have messed up a lot of parkerized finishes...i wouldnt say easily...but easier than i should have.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Phosphating is actually intended more as a rust preventative than a durable finish. The surface holds oil very well (and if it hasn't been loaded with oil it does tend to wear more quickly). A lot of the AK building guys like to park and then paint (or DuraCoat) which gives a very nice finish that lasts well. If you're going to paint over your park, don't oil it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    we better have the squirrel there with his automatic shotgun for backup.
    hehe, yeah but I don't want to kill lions or leopards. now when any of you find any zombies or drug camps let me know, I'll bring the goods.
  • Options
    Anyone have a DPMS LR-308? Father in law can get a hold of one and i was holding out for an M-14. Thoguhts?
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    My vote is for the pricier M1 Garand. Beautiful gun, unique history, and it shoots a .30-06 cartridge which i think should set you straight for any game you'd find.

I'm not gonna pretend I know as much about guns as the rest of the bunch, but I wish I had one of these puppies :(.
  • Options
    Decided to pull the trigger on the M1 .308(horrible pun). Problem is cant find a single damn one. None in the stores, the gun auction sites(including GA) hve them WAAAAy over priced and Springfield told me to grab a snickers, not going to be anymore for a few months. Uber-bummer! Along those same lines cant find a M&P 40 under the price im willing to pay for it(when i can find em). I blame Obama :)
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Jetmech_63:
    Decided to pull the trigger on the M1 .308(horrible pun). Problem is cant find a single damn one. None in the stores, the gun auction sites(including GA) hve them WAAAAy over priced and Springfield told me to grab a snickers, not going to be anymore for a few months. Uber-bummer! Along those same lines cant find a M&P 40 under the price im willing to pay for it(when i can find em). I blame Obama :)

I'm a member over on snipercentral.com. Those are a GREAT group of guys, with all the knowledge you could EVER want. There are a couple of private smiths on there also that can put an M1 together for you however you want.

My opinion is to go with a Remington 700 in .308 or .270. I have the .270, and it's dead on to 300 yards. I personally am about to invest in a .308 though, since there are unlimited parts availiable and can be made into extremely accurate shooters for cheap.

Wish I could afford one of these:
    http://www.tacticaloperations.com/tangoseries/

i will have one soon. Guaranteed .25 MOA accuracy out of the box.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Jetmech_63:

PM coming your way with some more info.
  • Options
    Back at ya!