Home Cigar 101
Options

The Shapes

13»

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeah. That was one of the surprising things about these -- they seem to smoke nice and cool. I didn't do anything different, and I'm a fast smoker.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    When I first started smoking cigars, I was all about large ring gauges, like 50+, because I smoked like it was going out of style. Since I've gotten a little more into the groove and now I actually smoke a bit slow, small ring gauges offer up a nice alternative to a jaw buster. I recently had an Oliva Serie V lancero and it was an incredibly enjoyable smoke, but also a comfortable smoke. So, now that I have the patience for them, I'm beginning to embrace smaller ring gauges and I'm finding them enjoyable.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm still working on that slowing down part. I'm too efficiency-conscious; I look at a lit cigar and see all that smoke going somewhere other than my mouth, and I feel like I'm throwing away half a cigar.

The other nice thing about lanceros is they give you a wicked high wrapper:filler ratio, so you can really taste the wrapper clearly. With something like the Double Maduro, that's a very pleasant experience.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that people will smoke their age in gauge.. I guess that observation was meant to state that we will move to bigger cigars as we get more stick time. ( I know there is a joke hiding there) I started with coronas, moved to robustos and now own a lot more Perfectos...I rarely buy a corona anymore and buy cigars that will provide I smoke time I expect to get out of them. Usually one hour or a little more..
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    The other nice thing about lanceros is they give you a wicked high wrapper:filler ratio, so you can really taste the wrapper clearly. With something like the Double Maduro, that's a very pleasant experience.
    A very good observation, Urbi! :D I think I am going to have to revisit the smaller gauges and see what I am missing. Hmm, Sancho Panza double maduros hae been whispering to me lately. Perhaps I am ready for another blind box purchase >.>
  • Options
    Smoke=Fire:
    Perhaps I am ready for another blind box purchase >.>
    Is that anything like a Blind Lemon Jefferson? (That really should be the name of a cocktail, btw.)

I haven't tried the Sancho Panza line, yet. Need to do some investigating there, when I halt my cigar-buying moratorium.
    kaspera79:
    I read somewhere that people will smoke their age in gauge.
    I must be entering my second childhood, then. I never would've gone near a lancero 10 yrs. ago.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Is that anything like a Blind Lemon Jefferson?
    Ya know, aside from one friend in high school, I've never heard or seen anyone mention Blind Lemon Jefferson. You've got a lot of trivia bouncing around in that head of your's, don't ya urby?
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Ya know, aside from one friend in high school, I've never heard or seen anyone mention Blind Lemon Jefferson. You've got a lot of trivia bouncing around in that head of your's, don't ya urby?
    Yes, there is an unfortunate amount of useless knowledge taking up space in my brain. I need to have a garage sale. I saw kuzi mention he's a blues man; I bet he knows about Blind Lemon Jefferson.

After all this discussion, I think I'm going to have to have another one of those RP lanceros, tonight, then write a proper review. Or as proper a review as I typically write, anyway. Kuzi's are like audiophile-quality hi-fi; mine are more like Costco mid-fi.
  • Options
    Ahh, don't sell yourself short. Any review is a good review as long as it is an honest representation of your impression of the cigar, well in my opinion anyhow. Keep up the good work urby, I enjoy your reviews.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Ahh, don't sell yourself short. Any review is a good review as long as it is an honest representation of your impression of the cigar, well in my opinion anyhow. Keep up the good work urby, I enjoy your reviews.
    Some of the best reviews come from the heart, short and to the point .. Like Dont waste your money..This cigar sucks... or Wow!! this is the best cigar I have smoked in a long time..You gotta try this one... Now that sums it up in my opinion..
  • Options
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Perhaps I am ready for another blind box purchase >.>
    Is that anything like a Blind Lemon Jefferson? (That really should be the name of a cocktail, btw.)

I haven't tried the Sancho Panza line, yet. Need to do some investigating there, when I halt my cigar-buying moratorium.
    LOL...not quite. Basically means I will buy a box unsmoked. It has really worked well for me in the past, although I keep waiting for my first loss ;)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    with your first loss you can trade them away here. SOMEONE has to like em.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    with your first loss you can trade them away here. SOMEONE has to like em.
    Hmmm, I wonder who here has a fondness for Sancho Panza Double Maduros :P
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    Some of the best reviews come from the heart, short and to the point .. Like Dont waste your money..This cigar sucks... or Wow!! this is the best cigar I have smoked in a long time..You gotta try this one... Now that sums it up in my opinion..
    Thanks, guys. I wasn't fishing for compliments. Really. I just meant kuzi's reviews are much more analytical and detailed than mine. The product of either a more refined palate, or somebody paying much closer attention than I am. My reviews are useful for what they are. His are just more so. If that makes any sense.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    My reviews are useful for what they are. His are just more so. If that makes any sense.
    I think everyones reviews are useful, you review what and how you are comfortable. We all learn from it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    [ The product of either a more refined palate, or somebody paying much closer attention than I am.
    ... the product of someone with more time on their hands....
  • Options
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    My reviews are useful for what they are. His are just more so. If that makes any sense.
    I think everyones reviews are useful, you review what and how you are comfortable. We all learn from it.
    I agree all reviews are the best " word of mouth " on cigars good or bad.. simple or detailed, I appreciate them all.