• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:
    PuroFreak:
    gmill880:
    PuroFreak:
    I'm a VAGitatian! Does that count??

PURO YOU PERVERT !!! Where ya been lately man ...hadn't seen ya around much ...
    Spent the last 4 days moving. I'm back at work now, just so damn sore I can't hardly move! haha It's hell getting old.

Moving is a biatchh in and of itself I hate doing that haha. But now I just call a moving company for the big stuff , furniture , etc. that takes some of the sting outta it cause when you get my age buddy you accumulate a lotta chit !!!
    Yea, I know what ya mean! I should have paid some movers to do it. We have a ton of stuff with me, the wife, and the little one. Plus the day we were moving all the big stuff we had some major storms hit the area. You might have seen the storms on the news because they caused the Cowboys practive facility at Valley Ranch to collapse. That was when we were right in the middle of moving.

Man that blows ...
    Literally...
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'll be trying some of these recipes. I don't plan on giving up meat any time soon, but I'm renting the spare room in my house to a friend from school thats vegetarian, so it would be cool to cook some things she can eat once in a while.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    I'll be trying some of these recipes. I don't plan on giving up meat any time soon, but I'm renting the spare room in my house to a friend from school thats vegetarian, so it would be cool to cook some things she can eat once in a while.

Bow Chicka Bow Wow!
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Posts: 686
    vegetarian= ancient indian word meaning lousy hunter
  • smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    chipotle is good but i would have to say free birds burritos are better.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    smokester:
    chipotle is good but i would have to say free birds burritos are better.
    I'm more of a Planet Burrito man, but I've never tried Free Birds. I think there is one just off of Beltline though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hawaiianbass:
    Putting this thread back on track...

I found a sorbet recipie that looks good.

1 cup sugar
    1 1/4 cups water
    4 cups whole strawberries, rinsed and hulled
    2 Tbsp. orange juice
    In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and the water and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
    Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until reduced by one-fourth. Remove from the heat and cool.
    In a blender, combine the strawberries and the orange juice until smooth. Press through a fine sieve.
    In a large bowl, combine with the sugar mixture. Cover and freeze until set.
    Whisk until smooth, freeze for an additional hour, and whisk again. Repeat twice.
    Serve when creamy.

I might try to make this over the weekend.

CK
    you might consider adding a bit of vanilla extract. it will round it out nicely. maybe a half of a teaspoon or so.
  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I just found a few smoothie recipes that I'm going to try for breakfast when I start my new job next week.

Sweet Veggie Smoothie

Ingredients:
    1 cup apple juice
    1 cup of sliced apple (sweet tasting apples are better)
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1/2 cup sliced carrots
    1/2 cup of cucumber (peeled and sliced)
    2 cups of ice
    a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)

Blend this vegetable smoothie until smooth. Adding the nutmeg and cinnamon will give it great fragrance.

Tomato Smoothie

Ingredients:
    2 cups (chopped) tomatoes
    1/2 cup tomatoe juice
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup carrots
    1/4 cup (chopped) celery
    Tabasco or hot sauce to taste
    2 cups ice

Healthy Broccoli Smoothie

Ingredients
    1 Carrot (chopped)
    4 Florets of Broccoli
    2 Handfuls of Spinach
    1 Apple (chopped)
    2 Oranges (peeled and quartered)
    Orange Juice to dilute

You can change the fruit and vegtables to your requirements but this is one way of ensuring you get the portions of fruit and vegtables your body requires.

Raw Vegetable Smoothie

Ingredients
    1 - 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice OR balsamic vinegar
    4 tablespoons picante salsa
    1 cup raw broccoli
    1 raw tomato, quartered
    1/2 raw carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup raw kale, or any leafy green
    1 - 2 cloves raw garlic
    1/2 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup raw un-hulled sesame seeds
    1 - 2 slices onion

Start by pouring liquid ingredients (lemon juice, salsa) into blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend until texture is that of a creamy milkshake.

CK
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    this thread is proving beneficial to me even though I am not a vegetarian. I usually have a hard time getting veggies into my diet. I'm thinking even though it might not taste that good, I could just blend some veggies together, slam it down before I eat the good stuff for dinner and I wont have to taste it anyway. don't get me wrong, I like a lot of veggies, but its just difficult to cook them properly every night, it gets old.
    I'm drinking a healthy broccali smoothie right now. Its...uh...very green. Its actually pretty good. The texture took a little getting used to since I don't usually eat liquid leaves. It tastes really good.,br>
    CK
    along the same lines....

anyone have a veggie garden?

im thinkin about one maybe this year.... but probably next.
    kuzi16:
    along the same lines....

anyone have a veggie garden?

im thinkin about one maybe this year.... but probably next.
    My parents always have a great garden. Lots of fresh squash, okra, all kinds of peppers, tomatoes, and melons.
    im thinking about cucumbers (for pickles) and watermelons.
    Oh yea, Cucumbers is the other thing they have. The garden gets bigger every year too. lol It makes it even better to go visit during the summer!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I'd Like to have a T-Bone steak garden...uummmm smiles to self !!!
    Tonight I made vegan lasanga and vegan brownies for a suprise party for a friend. Both went over really well and evrybody liked them.

CK
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was vegetarian, maybe pescatarian, for about a year but the smothered pork chops and greens with bacon or ham hocks snapped me out of it.

I just got an email from Kaiser Permanente talking about the new fad in fast food of serving meatless meats.  Sounds like the meat substitutes involved are worse than the real thing for your health, but possibly better for the environment (this wasn't addressed):

Meatless meats

Trend: Plant-based meats — like Beyond Meat or Impossible Burger — are popping up everywhere. They’re now available in restaurants, fast food chains, and grocery stores. So, what is it? Plant-based meats are made from plants but are meant to taste (and look) like meat. They’re targeted at meat-eaters — not just vegetarians — and positioned as a way to eat less meat and help the environment.

The facts: Meatless meats are high in salt and saturated fat. “Plant-based meats have almost 4 times the salt as beef does, and essentially the same amount of saturated fat as you would find in beef,” says Dr. Hashmi. “It’s also a highly processed food where chemicals are used to extract the protein, which is a huge concern.” These fake meats aren’t a good nutrient source. Meatless meat lacks the fiber you would get from simply eating real plants.

Verdict: Pass on the plant-based meats. “I wouldn’t jump on this bandwagon,” Dr. Hashmi says. If you want to eat less meat, he suggests eating plant-based whole foods like vegetables, fruits, and legumes. Plus, there’s no data on the long-term effects of these artificial meats — and there won’t be any useful data for another 4 to 5 years.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just cured a very sick dog of diarrhea and some joint problems. Removed grains and filler from her diet and started feeding her raw meat, peas, carrots and flax. In 2 days she completely turned around. Pass the chicken and gravy.......please.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife has been a vegetarian for 40+ years and here are her thoughts.
    Hi. My name is Dawn. My mom used to tell me as a child in the high chair, i would always eat the veggies but spit out the meat. Then in my 20's I developed a brain tumor and couldn't keep much down. One of the doctors was from India and suggested trying a vegetarian diet. It worked! I thrived on it!! There are many commercial products available to help make your transition easy. Morning Star, Gardine etc. I have a boatload of great recipes I will share with you privately. Being a vegetarian does not mean you sacrifice great food. Doug is a meat eater, and I prepare foods for him without issue. But.... He often eats my vegetarian meals too and not only enjoys them but will ask for them.

You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything in moderation.
    Don't wanna over do it.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moose.   It's what's for dinner.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

I love this!!!
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I showed this to Dawn and I won't tell you get gesture!!!!! LOL
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!