Home General Discussion
Options

Drew Estate Events?

Hey guys, I just wanted to see if any of you have attended any of these events at your local B & M. We are planning on going to the Wharf (Beavercreek/Dayton, OH) on Thursday because Drew Estate is doing an event there. Hoping to find some good deals, but either way it sounds pretty good since they are doing a car show with it. If any BOTLs are in our area and headed out to it too, let us know. It would be cool to meet some people in person too.

Comments

• Options
    nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    There is one at the Tinder Box in Tacoma washington on saturday the 21st if anybody from washington reads this and is interested.
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    There is one at a small b and m in la crosse wisconsin on the 21st also...may go check it out.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    nickiam:
    There is one at the Tinder Box in Tacoma washington on saturday the 21st if anybody from washington reads this and is interested.
    Theres also coming this month in Seattle,, Drew wont be present and no box purchases of any liga privada,,,probably wont go
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    There was a DE event a few months back at a B&M an hour from where I live. When I first heard of the event I was excited to go, then I heard that there was not going to be any special event pricing and that DE was going to let that shop charge whatever they wanted which ended up being their normal inflated prices. So I decided to skip that event. To be honest, most B&M events are just not worth the hype. That same B&M also changed a $1000 a head for a sit down dinner with Rocky Patel.
  • Options
    nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    Hmmmm. That sounds lame. The Tinder Box had an Alec Bradley event about a month ago. It sold out pretty quick but they were offering 15% off box purchases.....I got 15 Black Markets and and 4 Prensado churchills for 130 bucks. They didnt have any full boxes left so he sold me what he had and gave me the box with the 15% off. I cant say the DE event will be as nice though.
  • Options
    T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    I will pass on the $1000 dinner/face time, but I am hoping there will be some kind of discounts or deals. It does say they are giving stuff away in a raffle, so it will be worth the trip to get some info and maybe walk away a few new sticks to try with the possibility of "winning" something in the drawing.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been to a few DE events. Actually, they were "undercrown" events. The last one I went to had FFPs, liga 9s. Nothing out of the ordinary really. No true special pricing... I do hear it's awesome if JD or a DE top dog is at the event. Never experienced it though. Screw the event, just come to the bay area.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    I've been to a few DE events. Actually, they were "undercrown" events. The last one I went to had FFPs, liga 9s. Nothing out of the ordinary really. No true special pricing... I do hear it's awesome if JD or a DE top dog is at the event. Never experienced it though. Screw the event, just come to the bay area.
    Had a similar experience as jiunn. Ours was an "undercrown/MUWAT/JDN" event - they had sold out of all the other LPs (no 9, t52) within the first hour (long before we got there) and the only "special pricing/deal" they had was buy 5 cigars get 1 JDN DC free.

None of the DE "top dogs" were there, just a regular sales rep for them - but the B&M did have a live band playing during the event...the band was probably the best part of the evening, IMHO.
    It was a fun experience but, my $0.02 - don't go looking to score any special deals or any of the HTF Ligas....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up guys. It says that Sam Smerkol will be there (whoever the hell that is). According to the listing they will have special pricing on boxes and singles, but after seeing that some of the other guys mentioned they could price however they want, sounds like the only really drive to get us there is the car show and raffle. Hell, we might just drive out to the bay area instead Juinn! Okay, probably not since that would take a few days to get there, but it would be a heck of a herf once we arrived!
  • Options
    T.J. Armstrong:
    Thanks for the heads up guys. It says that Sam Smerkol will be there (whoever the hell that is). According to the listing they will have special pricing on boxes and singles, but after seeing that some of the other guys mentioned they could price however they want, sounds like the only really drive to get us there is the car show and raffle. Hell, we might just drive out to the bay area instead Juinn! Okay, probably not since that would take a few days to get there, but it would be a heck of a herf once we arrived!
    tease... someday. someday.
  • Options
    musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    I am going to try and make it to the wharf. I have never been to an event before.
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    In my experiance, all B&M events are the same. Sometimes JD will come to his own DE events at the shop that is an hour from me. The owner of that shop buys a crap ton of their stuff, I have no idea how in the hell he sells it though, his mark ups are by far the worst in the central valley. The B&M we have here in town will do the events, but they are all the same. Buy three sticks get one free. The only reason the guys here in town bother going is, they do get some pretty good food in and usually free beer and the raffles, which I have not won yet lol. Dustin has a become pretty good friends with the owner of a B&M in the town he's moving to. The event I went to with him at that shop was pretty cool. Dustin called the owner and told he we were coming and the owner put a few amazing sticks a side for us.
  • Options
    MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    It guess I am luck to have a great B&M they have an event every month. The DE event is great. At the DE event last year I sat and talked to JD for a hour or so. I kept telling that we would go so he could talk to other and he insisted that we stay. I was acctually suprised that not that many people were stopping to talk to him. Our B&M does two events one for the north store and the South store for every event.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Im hitting the DE/JDN event in Myrtle Beach tonight. Hopefully it will be cool
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I'd love to go to those kinds of events. But unfortunately, none of the manufacturer's put much credence in small town B&Ms.
    The local shop here tried to get a couple to have events here, but was told that they couldn't justify the expense.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    MESKC:
    It guess I am luck to have a great B&M they have an event every month. The DE event is great. At the DE event last year I sat and talked to JD for a hour or so. I kept telling that we would go so he could talk to other and he insisted that we stay. I was acctually suprised that not that many people were stopping to talk to him. Our B&M does two events one for the north store and the South store for every event.
    Sounds like outlaws.....
  • Options
    Rail Jockey:
    MESKC:
    Sounds like outlaws.....
    you are correct. Always a good time. The do throw a good party.
  • Options
    Wait how do you know about Outlaws?
  • Options
    stowggiestowggie Posts: 399
    The drew estate event that I attended was a DE/JDN event. There was no liga Privada there. Im sure if the b&m has a Liga account then there will be some. The Rep was cool but other than that it wasn't anything special.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    Dire, let us know how it was when you get a second. Hopefully you were the drawing winner!
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    T.J. Armstrong:
    Direwolf:
    Dire, let us know how it was when you get a second. Hopefully you were the drawing winner!
    Wasn't really much going on. Just a rep talking to the folks as they came in. Still had a great time in the lounge talking to folks. Nice to sit around and shoot the *** with fellow BOTL'S from all over.They did have a ton of the CRA 10 packs but I didn't have the extra scratch for that.
  • Options
    I am looking forward to getting a little more education while we are there, so I think it will be fun, but it definitely sounds like cigar events sound cooler than they really are. I guess the real value of cigar events is the herfing, getting to talk with everyone and shoot the *** like you said. Thanks for the heads up and all the feedback from everyone! Musicman, maybe we will see you there. Gotta love this forum. People are everywhere!
  • Options
    T.J. Armstrong:
    I am looking forward to getting a little more education while we are there, so I think it will be fun, but it definitely sounds like cigar events sound cooler than they really are. I guess the real value of cigar events is the herfing, getting to talk with everyone and shoot the *** like you said. Thanks for the heads up and all the feedback from everyone! Musicman, maybe we will see you there. Gotta love this forum. People are everywhere!
    i totally hear ya on this TJ. Based on that first bay area herf, til this day, I still herf with Shawn and Ed (although I haven't seen Ed in a while). Nothing beats real life interactions with ya'll.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The DE event that me and Dwayne (dbeckom) went to a few months ago (@Tobacco World) was awesome. Between the 2 of us we got about 30 free cigars, a few hats and t-shirts, and some other cool swag. The coolest part was chillin with JD one on one and talking about cigars. I bet JD gave me 5 cigars to try that night. His enthusiasm was great. Every time he gave me a cigar he wanted me to fire it up right then and give him feedback. That event is the reason I now have an entire humidor full of Undercrowns... that sits right next to my old humidor full of JdN DC. When JD found out about my entire humidor of JdN DC he was very excited. He speaks about that company with a great deal of respect.

Hanging out with a bunch of guys from this forum was the highlite though. Very fun.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    There's one tonight at my B&M. I'll let you know how it goes. Seacrest out.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I have been to many cigar events but except Davidoff event rest were not so fun for me. It is all about promoting their brands so if you really want to meet certain cigar maker then you should visit. Usually they are friendly but difficult to have a in depth conversation. I have more quality time in Nicaragua or other social events. I will never pay $1000 to meet anyone. It is not about the money, I just can't justify that amount. I always get invitation to cigar events for social cause and I gently decline because I disagree with the fund raising method for various reason. I attend some of them when they are work related and I can't pass. I try to avoide all sort of commercialized events. I prefer to have a open and in dept conversation even if I need to pay the full price for the cigar.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    There's one tonight at my B&M. I'll let you know how it goes. Seacrest out.
    Now I'm rethinking this. My plan was to go to this and buy a mazo of MUWATs, but I called up about an hour ago and all they have is one loose bad of 10 in the entire store.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    I will never pay $1000 to meet anyone.
    Not even Holo-Tupac?

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    LOL...imtertainment, stage performance or broadway shows are different. BTW, I am not so much into recent pop culture. I believe that is snoop dog. He launched a cigar brand called "executive Branch cigarillos". Machine made in DR.
    y2pascoe:
    rzaman:
    Not even Holo-Tupac?

• Options
    WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    rzaman:
    Not even Holo-Tupac?

It is sooo funny you posted this. On our way (TJ and I) to the Drew estate event tonight (which was a total waste of time btw) TJ made the comment he wouldnt pay $1000 to meet anyone and I in turned ask ''not even Tupac?" Funny to see you guys had the same conversation, lol.