Options

What size are you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    Vision:
    insomnniapb:
    I'm still trying to figure out what size I'm smoking most of the time, so no favorite yet.

When you walk into a B&M what size do you usually buy?
    Toro I guess would be the one size I have requested so far. I don't usually buy on size though. I haven't smoked enough cigars yet to really know what I like enough to experiment with sizes of it etc.
  • Options
    bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    Toro, Torp, Robusto. I should stick with Robusto because I rarely have time for the Toro, but I always buy the toros because they only cost a little more, and I WANT to be able to have the time.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    insomnniapb:
    Vision:
    insomnniapb:
    I'm still trying to figure out what size I'm smoking most of the time, so no favorite yet.

When you walk into a B&M what size do you usually buy?
    Toro I guess would be the one size I have requested so far. I don't usually buy on size though. I haven't smoked enough cigars yet to really know what I like enough to experiment with sizes of it etc.
    I think you are on the right path. I still pick up a 58-60rg once in a while. Im a 52-54rg mainly but love corona/lonsdale/lancero sizes..... I am even on a Churchill kick again......
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corona, Robusto and probably Lancero but the small papi chulo Namakubi is very tasty...
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    This is a very interesting thread. I thought that the larger ring sizes were going to dominate, in fact, Ii would have bet money on it. I prefer a 44 to 50 ring, and I really wish that a 5.5" x 46 was as common as a robusto. It's nice to see so many favoring the smaller ring cigars, who knows, maybe the American preferences are changing, and that might put more smaller ring cigars on the market.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    This is a very interesting thread. I thought that the larger ring sizes were going to dominate, in fact, Ii would have bet money on it. I prefer a 44 to 50 ring, and I really wish that a 5.5" x 46 was as common as a robusto. It's nice to see so many favoring the smaller ring cigars, who knows, maybe the American preferences are changing, and that might put more smaller ring cigars on the market.
    cigar guys on forums are a different animal and a very small minority in the cigar world.
    if you talk to any retailer (cigar.com included) they will tell you that the small rings do not sell at all compared to the thicker sizes. robusto is the most popular size. the people on forums are super cigar nerds and they look at things like wrapper to filler ratio. they are ok with having a learning curve on smoking a corona. if this was a question posed to the cigar smoking population at large the responses would be very different.

on two different occasions i have seen Facebook posts by cigar companies asking what favorite sizes are. each time i am blown away by the number of people that answer 60+
    there are tons of people that WONT smoke anything under a 50. there will be 30-40 people saying that they like 50-60 rings for every one person saying they like a corona. its kinda nuts if you ask me.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    cigar guys on forums are a different animal and a very small minority in the cigar world.
    if you talk to any retailer (cigar.com included) they will tell you that the small rings do not sell at all compared to the thicker sizes. robusto is the most popular size. the people on forums are super cigar nerds and they look at things like wrapper to filler ratio. they are ok with having a learning curve on smoking a corona. if this was a question posed to the cigar smoking population at large the responses would be very different.

on two different occasions i have seen Facebook posts by cigar companies asking what favorite sizes are. each time i am blown away by the number of people that answer 60+
    there are tons of people that WONT smoke anything under a 50. there will be 30-40 people saying that they like 50-60 rings for every one person saying they like a corona. its kinda nuts if you ask me.
    Yea, it is kinda nuts. Don't remember where I read it, but the corona is supposed to provide the best example of the intentions of the blender. Oh well, one can only hope that the smaller rings catch on among the general cigar population. BTW, anyone noticed that the Oval corona has been sold out or a while now?
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Robusto and Toro, because I hardly have the time for anything alse. Anywhere between 48 and 56 with the ring gauges because I do like some smaller sticks that are not as big, Namakubi Papi Chulo and the Tatuaje 7th Capa Especial come to mind.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And this is sort of why I started this thread. I hope it sticks and people update this if and when there preference changes. I admit I was a 6X60 guy just because I thought to myself when at a B&M "Im not paying the same price for half the stick". I think the big thing for B&Ms 60rg customers is, like Kuzi said, they just dont know or understand wrapper to filler ratio. Heck.... Most people dont know why a box press exsists and that the blend in a box press is different from its round sibling of the same size. I find that if you are on this forum you are looking to learn more about the who what where when and whys of cigar smoking. When you go into a B&M, most/some only seem to care about selling you stuff they smoke (I said most, not all). There is a local shop here in Mass that one of the guys working there only pushes 58-64rg (He is about 6'2" 260). I am in there all the time and hear him say to customers "I can't feel manly with a little cigar in my hand" or "It just feels to light in my hand" talking about Robustos and Lanceros....... But never talking about flavor, draw, heat, construction, power/strength, ETC..... Its just nice to have a place to go to ask newbie questions and not get flip answers but to actually get advice from cigar smokers.
  • Options
    Vision:
    And this is sort of why I started this thread. I hope it sticks and people update this if and when there preference changes. I admit I was a 6X60 guy just because I thought to myself when at a B&M "Im not paying the same price for half the stick". I think the big thing for B&Ms 60rg customers is, like Kuzi said, they just dont know or understand wrapper to filler ratio. Heck.... Most people dont know why a box press exsists and that the blend in a box press is different from its round sibling of the same size. I find that if you are on this forum you are looking to learn more about the who what where when and whys of cigar smoking. When you go into a B&M, most/some only seem to care about selling you stuff they smoke (I said most, not all). There is a local shop here in Mass that one of the guys working there only pushes 58-64rg (He is about 6'2" 260). I am in there all the time and hear him say to customers "I can't feel manly with a little cigar in my hand" or "It just feels to light in my hand" talking about Robustos and Lanceros....... But never talking about flavor, draw, heat, construction, power/strength, ETC..... Its just nice to have a place to go to ask newbie questions and not get flip answers but to actually get advice from cigar smokers.
    If I heard the guy say that, I would have been hard pressed not to start talking about how much I love the smaller ring, and why. Personally, I think that once a cigar exceeds ring 54, it's just a waste of tobacco. But that's just me; to each his own.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Vision:
    If I heard the guy say that, I would have been hard pressed not to start talking about how much I love the smaller ring, and why. Personally, I think that once a cigar exceeds ring 54, it's just a waste of tobacco. But that's just me; to each his own.
    I agree that choosing a cigar based on how manly it makes you look is kind of...odd. However, I have found things I enjoy when I do get the very large ring cigars (NUB comes to mind). Mostly, it is the mouthfeel of the smoke I get from the larger gauges. I am not sure if it is because the smoke is cooler, there is more filler smoke, or a combination of both, but it comes off more...chewy? Meaty? Hearty? Either way, the texture is different. I guess it is kind of like cuts of steak. If you know the meat is good and flavorful, sometimes you want the filet, sometimes you want the ribeye.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, a factor is also how big my cutter is... I have an xi and I can only go so far, so lots of the bigger rgs are just a pain to cut. I guess I can punch, but I usually prefer a cut. Just too much foolin around and not smoking. I also feel like I have to puff like a maniac to keep it from tunneling. I enjoy the occasional 60 tho
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 Torpedo
    2 Robusto
    3 Perfecto
    4 Corona
    And I usually prefer a 50-54 gage.