Home General Discussion
Options

What Humidor do you use?

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Getting ready to purchase a new humidor; what do you ll use and do you reccomend it? I bought one that holds 20 (should have read the rules here and I would have known to upgade!) Looking to move up to one that holds 100ish.

Comments

• Options
    WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    I have a 300 count and a 100 count. 100 count is strictly for my JdN's, and the 300 count is for everything else. My suggestion is, get a 300 count, if you fill it up, coolidor or tower next.
  • Options
    jswaykosjswaykos Posts: 53
    I went from a 50 ct, to a 150ct, to a 300ct, to a wineador, to a 60qt tupperdor, to a second 60qt tupperdor, to a cabinet. I would at least go for a 300+ ct humidor, you know you'll need it eventually.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    forget what these guys are telling you. go buy zip loc bags.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Go with a cooler, can't go wrong with a cooler.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    hahaha WTF are you talking about jiunn? You're mucho loco amigo.

Got with a cooler. Cooler and some beads = cheap and lots of storage so you won't have to keep upgrading.
    Also I bumped the "show-off your humi setup" thread - check that out for ideas too.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    jliu:

Got with a cooler. Cooler and some beads = cheap and lots of storage so you won't have to keep upgrading.
    Also I bumped the "show-off your humi setup" thread - check that out for ideas too.
    haha I keeed I keeed.

Rain - I have a 300 count that looks very classy and hoitee toitee. it's called "The Versaille." If you're looking for a wooden humi that's glasstop and classy looking, I recommend this baby. I'll try to snap some pics of it tonight for ya.
  • Options
    I don't know what I'm looking for, that's the only reason I'd ask people as crazy as you all ;)
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Rain:
    Getting ready to purchase a new humidor; what do you ll use and do you reccomend it? I bought one that holds 20 (should have read the rules here and I would have known to upgade!) Looking to move up to one that holds 100ish.
    I started with a 20 count. I then moved up to a Man-O-War 100+ count. I bought 2 additional 20 count humidors and I really like having a large one and some small ones. (humidors I mean) I love the Man-O-War humidor and for some reason the dimensions on mine are quite a bit bigger than the posted size for that box.

Just my 2 cents but having a few boxes is nice for sorting and storing. Oh..... and I have a couple of digital hygrometers that I move from box to box to keep check on things.

More is better than bigger for me.
  • Options
    I like the one on this website (with the battle art), but I think I have to smoke a man o war (and like it) before I buy a box advertising them haha. That being said, it seems like everyone one this site likes them, so I doubt that would be a problem.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    jliu:
    jgibv:
    jliu:

haha I keeed I keeed.

Rain - I have a 300 count that looks very classy and hoitee toitee. it's called "The Versaille." If you're looking for a wooden humi that's glasstop and classy looking, I recommend this baby. I'll try to snap some pics of it tonight for ya.
    WHy? He wouldn't be able to make out your finger paintings!
  • Options
    bigfnsteve:
    jliu:
    jgibv:
    jliu:

haha I keeed I keeed.

WHy? He wouldn't be able to make out your finger paintings!
    bigfnsteve, did that make U feel better, always some one in the group, hope that made your night.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    If you want to hold 100 cigars, buy a 200ct. The "count" advertised is severly misleading. Go bigger, you will need it.
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I use a 3500 count tower, that im trying like hell to fill up!
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    If you want to hold 100 cigars, buy a 200ct. The "count" advertised is severly misleading. Go bigger, you will need it.
    ---- This, too. It's not necessarily misleading, it's more that it doesn't account for, say, 100 of ANY size cigar. So if you're in to 6x60 sticks, you won't get 50 in a 100ct before it's overflowing. On the other hand, if all you go after are coronas and petite lanceros, you might exceed the stated count. Cigar tetris is half the fun!
  • Options
    Rail Jockey:
    ----- Didn't think mine would fill as fast as it has, either! It's like highway construction... build another lane, and more cars will fill them. Buy a bigger humi, you buy more cigars to take up space. It's a never ending cycle!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    just remember what i always say when a thread like this comes up:

if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need that many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Well, to be honest, I agree with most these guys that you should buy more than you think you need, but I have a 150 ct and whenever I get close to filling up, I just go on a bombing spree! Problem solved!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    YES YES YES!!!!
    I do believe they use petite coronas for the advertised "count" LOL. Seriously though, my glass top was advertised as a 150 ct - and I've maxed it out right around 100. Right now I think there's about 70ish in it, and I'm hesitant to put many more in because it just gets too tight and makes it hard for me to find the cigar I want.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    If all else fails, find yourself an antique trunk and convert it to an almighty "Trunkidor"!!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    $35 for the trunk
    $25 for the digital hygrometer
    $5 for the weatherstripping to seal it with
    A few cigars for my buddy to line it with two layers of Spanish cedar laminate. I hold 63-67% humidity and keep it around 65-70 degrees. No problems so far.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Toombes:
    If all else fails, find yourself an antique trunk and convert it to an almighty "Trunkidor"!!
    $35 for the trunk
    A few cigars for my buddy to line it with two layers of Spanish cedar laminate. I hold 63-67% humidity and keep it around 65-70 degrees. No problems so far.
    I hate u right now
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    Toombes:
    $35 for the trunk
    I hate u right now

But... But... But...
    What, no love? And to think, I was planning a sneak attack bomb drop and herf when I'm in Myrtle Beach next year...
  • Options
    Well, let me start with step one...find an antique trunk. Easy, right?
  • Options
    interpiminterpim Posts: 146
    I am going to build another humidor when I return home from my deployment, but I am currently using 2 100 count humidors. 1 is a no-name glass top I purchased off of eBay a few years back, the other is a really nice Diamond Crown. The glass one I left at home, the Diamond Crown I have with me on deployment.

The old trunk idea is actually pretty ingenious. As long as you can get a good seal, that would be the easiest way to get yourself a fairly large humidor with minimal costs.
    I would recommend finding a woodworker friend to cut down Spanish cedar to 1/4" thick sheets, and cover the entire inside, creating a lip at the lid to help with the air-tightness of the box.
    Spanish Cedar is a bit on the pricey side in So. Cal. but most good hardwood dealers will have some.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Well, let me start with step one...find an antique trunk. Easy, right?

Old trunks are easy to find, the hard part is finding one on good condition.
    I do agree with interpim's suggestion of having the cedar cut down to 1/4", the laminate in mine is roughly 1/8" but still seems to do ok. Sometime in the future I do plan on having it redone with thicker cedar. The trunk had a lip when I found it but the seal wasn't the greatest, hence the use of the weatherstripping. It works for now so I'm fine with it.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Toombes:
    deejmemixx:
    Toombes:
    $35 for the trunk
    I hate u right now

But... But... But...
    What, no love? And to think, I was planning a sneak attack bomb drop and herf when I'm in Myrtle Beach next year...
    I want to do that with a trunk so bad and u have to shove yours in my face -.-. Next year is a ling time man....come do my owl tattoo :-)
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rail Jockey:
    I like my tower humi.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I have a 3500sq ft Humidor. It is barely enough to hold half of the 06 release of Padron cigars, the 07 Opus crop, and the pre release Behike's from 09.
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    Toombes:
    deejmemixx:
    Toombes:
    $35 for the trunk
    I hate u right now

But... But... But...
    I want to do that with a trunk so bad and u have to shove yours in my face -.-. Next year is a ling time man....come do my owl tattoo :-)

365 days or 12 hrs, no worries!
    Shoot me some artwork and I'll bring my gear!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    28-bottle wine cooler, converted with cigar trays
  • Options
    xmacro:
    28-bottle wine cooler, converted with cigar trays
    the vinotemp one? T-28? if so, me dos. after doing the recent arranging with the help of jason smokingdaddy, it is working oh so great!