Home General Discussion
Options

Events you like at your b&m?

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
So it looks like I have a real real good shot at getting a position as manager of a local shop and handeling all events promotions, social media for all three of the stores they own. To be proactive I am trying to come up with ideas to get traffic in the door. So my question to you is...what do you like and what would you low to see at your local shop BESIDES your cigar company events.

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free cigar day... lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Free cigar day... lol!
    Hell I would like that too lol
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy if my B&M would just have events.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Gray4lines:
    Free cigar day... lol!
    I've probably been to like.. 5-6 BnM events. I never freakin win! except this last time, I went to a DE event. I won one LP 9 double corona. I was so happy. I think I giggled my way up there to receive my prize. I smoked it that night with a big ol smile on mi face
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    deejmemixx:
    Gray4lines:
    Free cigar day... lol!
    I've probably been to like.. 5-6 BnM events. I never freakin win! except this last time, I went to a DE event. I won one LP 9 double corona. I was so happy. I think I giggled my way up there to receive my prize. I smoked it that night with a big ol smile on mi face
    ahh thats the stuff!
  • Options
    Would u like food cook offs? Pairing nights? Poker tourney? Cribbage tourney? Singles night? Mystery stick? I k ow company events will draw people but I will be trying to get people in when Thise are not going on.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Would u like food cook offs? Pairing nights? Poker tourney? Cribbage tourney? Singles night? Mystery stick? I k ow company events will draw people but I will be trying to get people in when Thise are not going on.
    Just about any event will get people in.
    I would think that most of us would want some type of event where we can go and BS with other people who like cigars and smoke new cigars to try.
    I think it's more about the socializing than anything else. If you have cigars to try, eats and people there, people will go.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    deejmemixx:
    Just about any event will get people in.
    I would think that most of us would want some type of event where we can go and BS with other people who like cigars and smoke new cigars to try.
    I think it's more about the socializing than anything else. If you have cigars to try, eats and people there, people will go.
    Well said, that's my thoughts exactly. Would still like to hear some ideas that people have......and I was just hit in the fvcking head by a palmetto bug....thought a bird hit me lmfao
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Maybe something like a specific half priced cigar; that way you're still making money and people will be encouraged to come in, meet new people and compare tastes. Just an idea!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Davidoff events...they are always fun and informative. Their sells people are well trained and knowledgable. On top of that they offer good deal. At least that is my experience in the DC area.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been to an LFD and Esteban Carreras event. The LFD event was insane. I got 7 sticks for like $35 bucks. The rep was like " Try this on me and if you like that try this one too.... oh here take this one" I got 3 sticks free just for walking up with an LFD Cameroon Chiz I found chilling out all alone. It was the last one and he didnt even know he had any there. The Esteban events are at a small local shop. Buy 4 get one free. The guy who reps them is John and when I walked in he remembered I was having a child and I told him he was born. He grabbed a 10 Anos and said. "Congrats. This is on me" So far both even been pretty cool.
  • Options
    nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I just went to a My Father Event last night. The store had door prizes, sold raffle tickets for things ranging from 5 packs of ok cigars and factory throwouts to full boxes. You had to be there to win.

Another B&M in the area post a "stick of the day" on their facebook page with a short description/their thoughts while smoking....maybe make the stick of the day discounted.

Set up a membership club/email/text program of some sort with discounts, first crack at specials, first notification of events and maybe once a week send a mass email or text with a trivia question or a contest of some sort with the winner getting a hefty discount or a free fiver or something. If your store doesnt have a lounge, set up a table and chairs out front or out back for a makeshift lounge....a local B&M did that and more people hang out/buy more cigars while they are there smoking.
  • Options
    The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Dwarf tossing.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    Dwarf tossing.
    only if they bounce when tossed would that be an event
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    y2pascoe:
    Dwarf tossing.
    When you put it that way it sounds dangerous and irresponsible!
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Bike night !!! Everyone who arrives on a motorcycle gets a free cigar !!!
  • Options
    jadelt:
    Do unicycles count?
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    deejmemixx:
    y2pascoe:
    Dwarf tossing.
    When you put it that way it sounds dangerous and irresponsible!
    Lmao, that was funny! Don't know if you can do this but liquor companies have local marketing reps and bc my b&m is attached to a bar, they do pairings with liquors and wines!
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    jadelt:
    Do unicycles count?
    Sure but you just get a Nub
  • Options
    RickrollRickroll Posts: 58
    I am for hire for special events and I like cigars too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL-hNMJvcyI
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I like the vendor/food/alchohol events - I want to walk in, get some food, 2-3 cigars, a couple of beers, and chat up with reps and fellow cigar smokers. These usually go for about $20 - $30 a person. Sometimes, they host them at bar and grills, due to space issues, and limit to 50 people.
    I make those more than any other event.
  • Options
    jadelt:
    y2pascoe:
    jadelt:
    Do unicycles count?
    juuuuuneiebaby confirmed that y2 has a nub alreadynot to sure what he means by that.....
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Good food...as in BBQ or something not too spicy that burns the mouth. Good beer or drinks. Free stuff like ashtrays, lighters, cutters, cases, and maybe a raffle for something awesome. The one thing I always want to see...rare cigars you won't find online or are out of production. The B&M I go to does these types of things, and there is always boxes of rare or HTF smokes at his events which drives the collectors.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nickiam:
    Set up a membership club/email/text program of some sort with discounts, first crack at specials, first notification of events and maybe once a week send a mass email or text with a trivia question or a contest of some sort with the winner getting a hefty discount or a free fiver or something. If your store doesnt have a lounge, set up a table and chairs out front or out back for a makeshift lounge....a local B&M did that and more people hang out/buy more cigars while they are there smoking.
    the only reason I started going to a particular b&m was a membership "deal" thy had... pay a certain amount up front and get a card... free cigar that day and birthday, plus 25% off every day. I go often now. Waaaaay more than I would have otherwise
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I can't ask for much from my B&M but here are the things that they do to keep as a customer.
    The staff is always friendly and ask if I need help, but if I don't, they stay away.
    They have a separate table for NEW sticks all the time, just to showcase the new inventory (Not in your face, but the new stuff is always in the same spot)
    They do the same with any discounts they do, like buy a box get a free sampler or buy 4 get one free etc. (they always have the featured cigar of the month in the same spot)
    During events they do tend to draw big names like Rocky Patel, Jonathan Drew or Pete Johnson but they help you out with deals (i.e. It was when the 1961 and Patel Bros. came out and I wanted a box, but couldn't decide which, they just split it for me and when I bought a few more sticks they threw some in for me as well just to show they appreciated the business)

The ONE thing I've never seen about any event is a particular situation:
    I love my cigars, I collect them and I smoke them regularly but I cannot find a steady stream of family or friends to smoke with, so when an event comes in I usually pass, unless it's REALLY cool or a big name is in town then I have to go, but I just pop in, look at the stuff, buy what I want and get out. I don't sit and enjoy a smoke. I would LOVE a meet and great at the B&M so I can make some new friends and see familiar faces to sit down and smoke with.
  • Options
    deejmemixx:
    jadelt:
    y2pascoe:
    jadelt:
    Do unicycles count?
    juuuuuneiebaby confirmed that y2 has a nub alreadynot to sure what he means by that.....
    He promised he'd never tell!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Dammmm! I gotta ride to Montana. I like that idea. Tell me where it is. Might be worth a detour when I ride to Idaho here in three weeks.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know nuffin about events. The B&M I frequent doesn't even have a place to sit and smoke. The safety *** triumphed in Dull-Aware long ago. There's a wee cigar lounge on rt 30 in Lancaster, tho. Keep tellin myself we gotta get there. I subscribed to their email list, but theyn have yet to send me notice of any events. Anyone know ofg an eventful place anywheres near Newark Dull-Aware?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    jadelt:
    Dammmm! I gotta ride to Montana. I like that idea. Tell me where it is. Might be worth a detour when I ride to Idaho here in three weeks.
    You ride here from DE and you can smoke anything I got. Ride safe ! PM Me if interested. I am about 100 miles east of Coeur D'alene.