Thank You & Farewell

2»

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    catfishbluezz:
    Russ622:
    gmill880:
    And if a new-comer made the comment if the vets don't like the way the forum is changing move on ... to you sir or madame ... I applaude your agility ... able to put your foot in your mouth and your head up your a_ss at the same time ... your parents must be proud .
    It was me, I am the one that made the comment. My comment was not directed towards the vets of the board, and was never meant to be taken as me saying that a vet should leave because the forums are changing. I was questioning a vet on what he was saying and that what he was saying was going against what he was saying. Looking back, I was totally out of line.
    All I was doing was standing up for a new member, and myself and others who are new and not like seagarlover, and I for one dont want to be grouped in the same "new member" group as seagarlover. I sent Sniper a PM apologizing if he took my post the wrong way and that if my actions were the the straw that broke the camels back, that I would hope that he would reconcider. I am new to cigars and to the forum, and I dont want the reputation of a trouble maker or *** head. I just wanted to set the record straight with all of you, and my sincerest apology to all members new and old. My intentions were never to piss anyone off or offend anyone.
    Russ
    Good for you for apologizing Russ.

I am glad you explained and also glad to hear you talked to Glen via PM . Sniper is as good a person as anyone you will find on the forums IMHO . Thanks for the informative and civil response and manning up . Gene
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    PM sent Mr. Glen.
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    I went to bed last night thinking about this fourm and the guttural nature of the threads over the weekend. Sniper, I too am disgusted by this viciousness directed at fellow member of this fourm. Perhaps in time this pack of hyenas will leave and you will once again feel at home. God bless bro....
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    My dear Brothers and Sisters of the Leaf,

Due to the absolute horseshit Ive seen on the forums this weekend, Im calling it a CCom career. These are not the only recent issues that have made me feel like I dont fit in this community, only the ones which have cemented the feeling. Hate and rage are NOT why I come here, and I dont wish to witness it anymore, so Im taking the advice of one of our new members who told the "vets" of the forum that if they didnt like the way the forums were changing, they should just move on.

Sage advice. Thank you.

So, to wit - I want to extend my sincere thanks to the great people I have met here over the years. You provided a total newb who couldnt figure out how to fill his lighter when he came here an invaluable amount of great information about the hobby and always have been there to answer my questions, no matter how far into the "again with this?" or "what is he talking about?" categories they happened to fall into. I appreciate you taking me into the community with open minds and hearts, and making me feel like a part of a great family. Just in case nobody has told you lately, you ARE appreciated and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything.

This will be my last post on the open forum. For anyone who wishes to stay in touch with me, please shoot me a pm and we can exchange email / phone / etc information to keep in touch. I hope to hear from many of you who have become friends over the years. If you happen to see me ghosting on the forums, it is for that purpose and that purpose ONLY. I will check in periodically for a week or two to facilitate this, but thats all. In short, Im done folks. To quote from a pm I once received from a friend on here, "Read enough, heard enough, seen enough."

I leave you to it folks. Remember, these forums will only be what you, as a group make of them. Best of luck to you all.

Sniper OUT.

Unfortunately, I must agree with Sniper. In the nine months that I've been on the boards I've gone from a guy who knew virtually nothing about the hobby and now knows enough to get by and answer a few questions that the newer members may have.
    Also, during that time frame, I've seen many of the members disagree with others opinions only to turn around and send the most tremendous bombs. Now, it seems that all it takes is a hokie picture or snide comment to send the forum into a tizzy. Gentlemen and ladies of the forum, we're all adults here. If you see something on the threads that you think is sketchy or from someone you don't necessarily like then stay away from it. The amount of BS that has inundated the forum in recent weeks/months could have easily been handled through PM or e-mail, not openly. I've never had a complaint about the boards until now. This is no longer the place I come to get away from the hub-bub of everyday life.
    That being said, I shall remain on the boards until my "Stateside Soldier" pass returns to me. Once the collected sticks have been distributed I'll post evidence and then I'm done. Like Glen, you may see me lurking on occassion but that will be my only interaction. It saddens me that I feel I must do this but it is what it is. I'd like to thank those of you who have made my stay here such an incredible experience.
    Those of you who wish to stay in touch can PM me and we'll exchange info.
    Respectfully
    Toombes
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    The Sniper:

Due to the absolute horseshit Ive seen on the forums this weekend, Im calling it a CCom career. These are not the only recent issues that have made me feel like I dont fit in this community, only the ones which have cemented the feeling. Hate and rage are NOT why I come here, and I dont wish to witness it anymore, so Im taking the advice of one of our new members who told the "vets" of the forum that if they didnt like the way the forums were changing, they should just move on.

Sage advice. Thank you.

So, to wit - I want to extend my sincere thanks to the great people I have met here over the years. You provided a total newb who couldnt figure out how to fill his lighter when he came here an invaluable amount of great information about the hobby and always have been there to answer my questions, no matter how far into the "again with this?" or "what is he talking about?" categories they happened to fall into. I appreciate you taking me into the community with open minds and hearts, and making me feel like a part of a great family. Just in case nobody has told you lately, you ARE appreciated and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything.

This will be my last post on the open forum. For anyone who wishes to stay in touch with me, please shoot me a pm and we can exchange email / phone / etc information to keep in touch. I hope to hear from many of you who have become friends over the years. If you happen to see me ghosting on the forums, it is for that purpose and that purpose ONLY. I will check in periodically for a week or two to facilitate this, but thats all. In short, Im done folks. To quote from a pm I once received from a friend on here, "Read enough, heard enough, seen enough."

I leave you to it folks. Remember, these forums will only be what you, as a group make of them. Best of luck to you all.

Sniper OUT.

Unfortunately, I must agree with Sniper. In the nine months that I've been on the boards I've gone from a guy who knew virtually nothing about the hobby and now knows enough to get by and answer a few questions that the newer members may have.
    Also, during that time frame, I've seen many of the members disagree with others opinions only to turn around and send the most tremendous bombs. Now, it seems that all it takes is a hokie picture or snide comment to send the forum into a tizzy. Gentlemen and ladies of the forum, we're all adults here. If you see something on the threads that you think is sketchy or from someone you don't necessarily like then stay away from it. The amount of BS that has inundated the forum in recent weeks/months could have easily been handled through PM or e-mail, not openly. I've never had a complaint about the boards until now. This is no longer the place I come to get away from the hub-bub of everyday life.
    That being said, I shall remain on the boards until my "Stateside Soldier" pass returns to me. Once the collected sticks have been distributed I'll post evidence and then I'm done. Like Glen, you may see me lurking on occassion but that will be my only interaction. It saddens me that I feel I must do this but it is what it is. I'd like to thank those of you who have made my stay here such an incredible experience.
    Those of you who wish to stay in touch can PM me and we'll exchange info.
    Respectfully
    Toombes
    Well, like I said in my text Dan, We'll definitely stay in touch. The forum won't be the same without you!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glen & Dan,

Hate to see you both go. In the 1 year that I've been active here, I can say that I've truly enjoyed reading your posts, exchanging words/ideas, and trading/bombing cigars with you both.
    Hate to see all this happen.

Hopefully the forums can move forward in a positive manner and cigars can take front row & center again very soon. I also hope that, in time, you both find your way back here and at least drop us a note to say "hey". You both will be missed and I wish you two all the best in the future.
    Please feel free to message me if there's anything I can do for either of you.

As the Dakota Indian proverb says: "We will be known forever by the tracks we leave."
    You two have left great "tracks" on these forums and will be remembered for doing so.

Thanks for the good times, brothers.
    Cheers!
    John

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Glen & Dan,

Hate to see you both go. In the 1 year that I've been active here, I can say that I've truly enjoyed reading your posts, exchanging words/ideas, and trading/bombing cigars with you both.
    Hate to see all this happen.

Hopefully the forums can move forward in a positive manner and cigars can take front row & center again very soon. I also hope that, in time, you both find your way back here and at least drop us a note to say "hey". You both will be missed and I wish you two all the best in the future.
    Please feel free to message me if there's anything I can do for either of you.

As the Dakota Indian proverb says: "We will be known forever by the tracks we leave."
    You two have left great "tracks" on these forums and will be remembered for doing so.

Thanks for the good times, brothers.
    Cheers!
    John
    Well said John and couldn't agree more with you. Just because we are not face to face...doesn't mean we forget to use our manners and be polite as well as compassionate toward others.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:

Sage advice. Thank you.

Sniper OUT.

I would think it should be the other way round, like a good 'ol ass kicking from yesteryears.
  • Options
    Removed. Cooler heads have prevailed.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Russ, honestly, I don't think anyone was pointing a finger at you brother. But you are drawing more attention to yourself. Have a stick, a stiff drink and just enjoy the ride my man. We are moving on.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Russ, chill. No one has any problems with you. Move on brother.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Russ, honestly, I don't think anyone was pointing a finger at you brother. But you are drawing more attention to yourself. Have a stick, a stiff drink and just enjoy the ride my man. We are moving on.
    I know man, and I hate being in the middle of drama, I have a teenage daughter and thats all the drama I need. It is really just getting on my last nerve every time I see what I said twisted into something that was not said. I would love to move on from this and I was trying to until I saw phobicsquirrel's post and just lost it. I removed my post. I am gonna go play with my son, he always gets me in a better mood.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an awesome way to relieve stress. Enjoy it. My only is 17 on saturday.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I've been a member here for a few short months, and have been blessed to read the musings of some incredibly brilliant minds. I have even had the pleasure of meeting a couple face-to-face, and will consider them friends for the rest of my life. This is a place where I have learned a ton of stuff about our hobby in a very short amount of time.

Not only have I learned about cigars, but I have witnessed some remarkable acts of generosity and incredible displays of kindness. The occasions have been numerous, as have the members that perpetuated them. I am both humbled and awed by the integrity and honor of a lot of our members, as they seek no reward or recognition. I strive to live my life as such and endeavor to teach my daughter to recognize such greatness. My dream is for her to accept nothing less.

It saddens me to read that some of you are leaving. I can certainly understand your reasoning, and respect your decision to do so. I know that the decisions were made with deliberate contemplation and logical introspection; not some knee-jerk reaction. It's a shame that it had to come to this.

It could have been prevented though, and it's the group as a whole that suffers; not the individuals that have chosen to disassociate themselves from such contentious behavior. We’re supposed to be adults, yet we allow ourselves to be baited into acting like a bunch of un-cultured swine. I have been guilty of this in the past and am not passing judgment on anyone in particular. I’m just sayin, I see this place turning into Romper Room or even worse shut down if we keep acting the fool. That’s all.

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streater:
    I've been a member here for a few short months, and have been blessed to read the musings of some incredibly brilliant minds. I have even had the pleasure of meeting a couple face-to-face, and will consider them friends for the rest of my life. This is a place where I have learned a ton of stuff about our hobby in a very short amount of time.

Not only have I learned about cigars, but I have witnessed some remarkable acts of generosity and incredible displays of kindness. The occasions have been numerous, as have the members that perpetuated them. I am both humbled and awed by the integrity and honor of a lot of our members, as they seek no reward or recognition. I strive to live my life as such and endeavor to teach my daughter to recognize such greatness. My dream is for her to accept nothing less.

It saddens me to read that some of you are leaving. I can certainly understand your reasoning, and respect your decision to do so. I know that the decisions were made with deliberate contemplation and logical introspection; not some knee-jerk reaction. It's a shame that it had to come to this.

It could have been prevented though, and it's the group as a whole that suffers; not the individuals that have chosen to disassociate themselves from such contentious behavior. We’re supposed to be adults, yet we allow ourselves to be baited into acting like a bunch of un-cultured swine. I have been guilty of this in the past and am not passing judgment on anyone in particular. I’m just sayin, I see this place turning into Romper Room or even worse shut down if we keep acting the fool. That’s all.

+1
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Been gone a good while, family happens. Missed all the b.s. I guess, kinda glad. Expect a pm.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Musta missed the fireworks. That's what I get for working all weekend.

Jeepers

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    check out the date on Snipers post above Cabbi's post Webmost. This is old.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    check out the date on Snipers post above Cabbi's post Webmost. This is old.
    Wo. Color me confused.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)