Home General Discussion

Humidor project

cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
My name is Greg, I'm a cabinetmaker, and I buy and smoke lots of cigars. I stumbled upon this site about a month or so ago, and have bought two humidors and lots of cigars. My humidors are both full, and so is the one I built wayy back in college, and still I have more cigars coming, lol.... So, I decided to build my own humidor, 8cu. ft. interior, with 2 drawers that will hold 200-300 cigars each, and plenty of box storage in the bottom. I'm gonna post pics of the progress as I complete it, here are the first two: imageimage

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Wow, looks great so far. Jealous of the guys who have the resources and space to do this sorta stuff! Keep us updated.
  • 0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
    I wish this forum had more like you! I also wish I had the ability to do something like this myself. Looks great, definitely keep us up to speed with pictures as you build it. There's nothing like following along with a good project.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Lookin' good so far. What are you using for wood?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    What? You said you'd custom-make em for us once you finish yours? Ok, put me down for one.

Does look great - would love to have the talent and resources to do this too.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Drool
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cabinetmaker, you've got a PM.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    Lookin' good so far. What are you using for wood?
    Spanish cedar, lumber-core meranti for the back and bottom. Bottom will be lined with 1/2" spanish cedar. Making the drawers tomorrow, I'll post some more pics when i make them, also the door and top should have glass tomorrow too. Thanks for all the kind words :-)
    I didn't have time to hinge the door or do any work on it at all today, but will build and install drawers tomorrow. I did get the door and top back from the glass company, though. I'll take some better pictures with my slr camera later, these are from my phone, lol... imageimage
    I love the glass door & top combination! This is looking to be a sweet cabinet!!
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    man how awsome! i too would love to have the space and resouces and talent to build something like that.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    wow, that is gonna look great.

"Long ashes my friends."

• mcso22mcso22 Posts: 10
    Looks great, I'm gonna have to get with a friend of mine who makes cabinets and see if he could make one with maybe a Snakewood or possibly a nice Leopardwood. Keep the pics coming looking good and I am jealous that I don't have the talent to do it myself.
    Well, I got a bit done today.

First off, I hinged and attached the door. 4 brass hinges full mortise, here's one mortise and a hinge:

Here's all 4 hinges as I prep the door for marking:

Next, I fitted the door after mortising and hinging it. Tolerences were kept tight for a good seal. Then a 1/4" backing strip was added to the cabinet for the inset door to close against, and further tighten the seal, as well as adding a lock.
    imageimage
    Then, I added the top:
    Next came adding the drawer runners ( I used all wood instead of metal slides for the aesthetics, rather than any practicality):
    image Then, I built some drawers, and added them, and voila it's done!
    Tomorrow, i'll spray 3 coats of laquer. Sunday, I'll let it sit and humidify(it's been 90% humidity here, so it should not be too much of a chore) and monday I'll begin to fill it up!
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Great work man, I spied your drill press back there, my dad has the same one and loves it. Did I also happen to see your dust collection system in one of those pics?
    Yea, the dust collection is off in one picture, and on in another. The drill press is pretty old, lost the chuck key a few years back and cannot find anyone who carries one that size, so all the bit changes are with pipe wrenches.....

I have 7 boxes of cigars waiting to sit in there, plus a whole lotta loose ones. I've decided to add a small piece of base trim b4 i apply the finish. :-)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Very nice. I'm always impressed with people who can actually make something out of raw materials...I don't have the imagination for it....or the skills. :)
    Sprayed finish yesterday, Conditioning today. Cigars go in tomorrow.

I'm thinking about rigging up a peltier cooler over a liquid filled copper tubing hooked up to a small aquarium pump for cooling. Everything could mount out on the back or underneath and I'd only need 2 holes - easily sealed - for the tubing.....hmmmm.. Any thoughts??

imageimage
    Either you send me "how to" step by step direction on that beauty or I'll send you the cost of materials plus labor and I'm ready to be the first to place an order from ya! I'm kind of kidding but kind of not....if you seriously wouldn't mind letting me know some basic "how to's" I would like to build something like this myself - looks awesome! What was the cost of this project? Do you just use plain jane caulk to seal the creases if anything at all?

I have no input on cooling - I'm just not handy enough to help
    All creases are sealed with glue, dadoes, or just a really tight fit. The only exception is a small 2" gap left for inserting the thin power cords at the bottom.

You can see it in the following pictures. When I open the door, or close it, there is a whoosh from the air having nowhere to go.

I'm in the process of conditioning it right now.

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    That's awesome.. I think that will be my project this fall when i get back home to Mississippi. My grandfather and I have gotten into custom woodworking lately. We've been building primarily gun cabinets, china cabinets, and custom orders through referrals. I think we could easily do this, just have to figure out how to keep my tolerances tight enough to keep it airtight. Great looking humidor!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Very beautiful looking cabinet you made. I see a stop on the bottom, did you put stops all the way around for the door or is the fit in the face frame tight enough for the seal? Great job.
  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    That is one fine looking cabinet. If i had the tools and money to make my own I would but I don't. Well done, sir.

CK
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    dude thats AWESOME. Its coming together nicely.
    0 That Guy 0:
    Either you send me "how to" step by step direction on that beauty or I'll send you the cost of materials plus labor and I'm ready to be the first to place an order from ya! I'm kind of kidding but kind of not....if you seriously wouldn't mind letting me know some basic "how to's" I would like to build something like this myself - looks awesome! What was the cost of this project? Do you just use plain jane caulk to seal the creases if anything at all?

I have no input on cooling - I'm just not handy enough to help
    I'll be happy to build you one for cost of materials, plus the labor in cigars. After all, that's where my money will wind up anyway, lol...

There is about $450.00 in materials in it, which includes the humidification, hygrometer, wood, hinges, and laquer. PM me, I'm serious about trading cigars for the labor. I'll do that for the first 2 I build (shipping excluded, of course), I'll give you a list of what I want, lol..

bigharpoon:
    Very beautiful looking cabinet you made. I see a stop on the bottom, did you put stops all the way around for the door or is the fit in the face frame tight enough for the seal? Great job.

The door frame has a 1/4" stop on all 4 sides. The dollar bill test I tried wound up costing me $4, as all 4 tore. Money well spent, IMO.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Wow good stuff... you'll have to post some pics of it all stocked up!
    smbrink:
    Wow good stuff... you'll have to post some pics of it all stocked up!
    Here it is....

It looks great and I am very interested! I've got a lot on my plate right now and I'm about to scoot up to DC for my bachelor party in about 30 mins but I will get in touch with you soon enough.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Nice humidor and the collection inside it is pretty impressive as well.
    Just thought I'd post an update. The smaller humi-care went out on me, Cigar.com replaced it with a much bigger unit. It's been plugged in for a week now, and has needed to come on only twice so far, lol... I'm goint to put a thermoelectric mini air conditioner in it this weekend, all the units should be here froday and saturday.
    Here's a few pics of the larger humi-care with remote (corded): imageimage
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    some day man, some day. ill have me a house with a garage, filled with tools so I can make things like that. I dont have the experience, but I think I could do it, if I just take my time and have the right tools.