Home General Discussion

Humidor project

2»

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Sounds like c.com came thru for ya ...thats a good lookin humi and stash of smokes cabinet ...
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Ok, It gets hot here, so I added a small thermoelectric A/C to the Humidor. Pumps ~5* out of the box. Here's a shot of the power supply mounted on the back. I've added spacers and a thermal barrier to the power supply, but did not feel like taking more pictures.
    image Here's a shot of the inside right after I closed the door from adding all the thermal reflective tape. I had to move some stuff around, and will be doing something with the wires at a later date, but I was wanting to get it closed back up and re-humidified.

All the fans have added a bit more noise than I would have liked, but it's not too bad. The small air-moving fans are actually louder than the A/C unit, and I'll be replacing them before too long as well.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    any condensation issues?
  • 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Is that the thermometer or the hygrometer straight across from the fan? You worried about your readings being off?
    No condensation thus far, but I'm taking a wait and see approach to that. I'm going to add some ridgid insulation part way up the sides and on the bottom. Wood does not act too well as an insular material - not bad, but not good either.

The thermometer is a 3' long probe, I can place it anywhere. Currently it's coiled up and between the two fans in the back, and the one in the front. The temp controller is located right in front of the enclosure reading 74. The A/C is unit itsself is in the back where all the wires come in.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    You're like the MacGuyver of Humidors
    kuzi16:
    any condensation issues?
    I added some insulation, and as the cooling became more efficient, I finally began to get some condesation. But, as a trade-off for the condesation, I can drop the temps from 78 ouside the humidor to 70 inside it. I'll re-direct the condensation somewhere at a later date, probably the Humidifier, I don't think any metal ions will hurt the green foam any, especially since it's an electronic and not passive humidifier...
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    Dude thats incredible.  I found out tomorrow if the house I put an offer on is going to work out and it has a shed in the backyard which I am going to turn into a mancave. This will be my first project! Job well done.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    .. well andrew I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, was the shed/cave the selling point for you ? :}
    I bought my first house because it had a 800 Sq. ft. garage/workroom. <----major selling point. I had all my machines (I had a lot less than I do now) crammed in there and had to assemble stuff out in the driveway.

kaspera79:
    .. well andrew I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, was the shed/cave the selling point for you ? :}

Ha! Maybe not the selling point, but it sure helped! If I do get it, I am planning on buying a celebatory cigar, but unsure of what yet.

andrewh:

kaspera79:

Ha! Maybe not the selling point, but it sure helped! If I do get it, I am planning on buying a celebatory cigar, but unsure of what yet.

I got it! Now to the choice of celebratory cigar....hmmmm?

Good for you !
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    andrewh:
    andrewh:

kaspera79:

I got it! Now to the choice of celebratory cigar....hmmmm?

Well, if I were choosing a celebratory cigar, I'd be tempted by a Padron 1964 Anniversary Imperial, in the habano wrapper. You could go for something special and high end and go with a Padilla Signature 1932 Limitado oscuro if you like a strong, full flavored cigar....ahh, choices choices. Let us know what you pick.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Congrats on getting the house thats great ...
    Congrats on the house! I think the Padilla 1932 is a good choice for celebration.
    Congrats on the House... You should but Two Opus X... One to smoke to christen the house, and one to smoke when you leave the house (if you can wait that long!)

If you're like me and the Opus X isn't THAT appealing then may I suggest an Ashton ESTATE Sungrown... I just think it's fitting with the work "Estate" in it...

Or a C.COM HOUSE blend!!!

Or a CASA Fuego!!!

or how about a Chateau Fuente!!!
    Thanks everybody! I'm going to call my shop tomorrow and see if they have the Padilla 1932!
    I was going to suggest the CASA Magna, but didn't thing the joke was that great. The cigar is though.
    kaspera79:
    I was going to suggest the CASA Magna, but didn't thing the joke was that great. The cigar is though.
    Ouch... tough crowd, tough crowd :P
    I was straighteneing up in the shop, and found the plans I built this from. I thought I'd share them with you in case anyone wants to make one, here's my detailed plans to build this cabinet humidor:

It's a little blurry, but legible...
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Posts: 328
    That's what I'm talkin' about!
    How am I going to make the wood all blurry like that? Hee Hee!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    You know. I was gonna open my own humidor building business and make tons of money by constructing elaborate humidors for the rich and famous. There was only one thing that held me back. I didn't have any talent!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Now I have your secret plans, I can take over the world......

.....of Humidors

Mu Ha Mu Ha Mu HA HA

(In my best impersination of SNL impersonating Donald Trump on Halloween)

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    so how much do you charge those cigars for rent ....... that is an awesome piece of work.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    That is a gorgeous setup. I only wish I had the carpentry skills - or room for that matter - to build something like this. Maybe one day when I have a workshop to devote some time and money to..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Great job. Beautiful addition to any fine home. Your cigars must be proud >>grin<< Seriously though I am jealous. For some reason the idea of a drawer full of cigars sounds appealing to me! And to top it off, boxes of cigars! What could be better other then next to your humidor is a wine rack and next to that your indoor swimming pool.