Home General Discussion
Options

So I guess I'm all in.........(Unboxing)

2»

Comments

• Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Nice! Nothing like the smell of new Spanish Cedar.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Great looking humi. Need help filling?
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Nice. Dustin those drawers don't open, only the bottom 2 and they are just accessory drawers. The other 4 are just buttons to look fancy. Somewhere around here I have pics of how I cracked open those humidifiers and cut the foam out, replaced it with beads (or Litter Pearls) and put the metal back on and snap it back together. thats a great way to reuse those containers. I've been using mine for 4 years now and they work great, just 2 of those with Conservagel beads keeps my humi rock-solid at 67rh, but I also have it full of cigars so that helps stabilize it after opening.
    A few things to keep in mind. If you use beads or litter in those humidifier cases, you need to keep them lying flat. Don't attach them upside down with the magnet on the lid (you will get dust all over your cigars). I put one flat on the lower level and one flat on the upper shelf. It takes up some room but it works flawlessly.
    I also have been having great success lately with recharging by evaporative means. What I mean by this is when you start to notice your rh dropping by a few points, place a jar of distilled water somewhere in the humidor. Leave it for a few days and keep checking on it. The beads or litter will absorb the moisture out of the air (as opposed to pouring distilled directly on the beads). Its just a matter of preference, but this has been working well for me. There is nothing wrong with spraying or misting your beads, just another option you can consider.
    Enjoy that beauty, I have the same one and love it.
    I should have mentioned that about the drawers and thats kind of a drag about not putting the cases in the lid. It makes sense but I was thinking there wouldnt be a difference between that and the pre-made humidifiers sold by Heartfelt. Is there any option that would keep me from using floor space? And thanks for the advice on recharging.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    First congratulations on the Humidor. I have the same one. I got it about 8/9 months ago and couldn't be happier. On the humidification tip, I use two boveda packs (67), both on the bottom layer near the sides and have had good results. I replace about once every 3/4 months. Probably not the most efficient way of humdification with KL, and other types of humidificiation out there but they have been spot on for almost a year now so I say stick with what works. Just not the ones you got in the package.
    Jim
  • Options
    Bombay:
    First congratulations on the Humidor. I have the same one. I got it about 8/9 months ago and couldn't be happier. On the humidification tip, I use two boveda packs (67), both on the bottom layer near the sides and have had good results. I replace about once every 3/4 months. Probably not the most efficient way of humdification with KL, and other types of humidificiation out there but they have been spot on for almost a year now so I say stick with what works. Just not the ones you got in the package.
    Jim
    Thanks for this Bombay. I've read about the Boveda packs and see that they probably take up the least amount of room. I guess I'm just cheap but at this point it's pretty obvious I'll need to choose what I want: cheap or small? Since I'm not anywhere close to filling one divider much less the whole floor I'll go with the kitty litter and save my money for cigars then as I build inventory I can look at more expensive options.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    ehehat:
    I'm salt-testing the digital hygrometer now and was thinking of using the humidifyer cases and fill with KL. Would this work?

Yes
    Rain, KL= Kitty litter.
    Well that's a relief. I thought I was getting throw in the meat grinder...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Put panty hose over the humidifiers and the bead dust and debris will no longer be a problem.
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Put panty hose over the humidifiers and the bead dust and debris will no longer be a problem.
    Nice! Now we're getting somewhere. I'll have to try this.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    allsmokedup:
    ehehat:
    I'm salt-testing the digital hygrometer now and was thinking of using the humidifyer cases and fill with KL. Would this work?

Yes
    Rain, KL= Kitty litter.
    Well that's a relief. I thought I was getting throw in the meat grinder...
    Now that's funny right there!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    marineatbn03:
    Nice! Now we're getting somewhere. I'll have to try this.
    you can also sift the KL to get rid of the dust.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    kuzi16:
    Rain:
    Remember to start by throwing away those humidifiers!
    and dont for get to get a digital hygrometer.
    in theory it will. just remember that it will break up a little over time. these bits can fit through the grate of the humidifier then. i would wrap them all up in some nylons. air/moisture can still get through but it will hold the litter better.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ehehat:
    kuzi16:
    Rain:
    Remember to start by throwing away those humidifiers!
    and dont for get to get a digital hygrometer.
    in theory it will. just remember that it will break up a little over time. these bits can fit through the grate of the humidifier then. i would wrap them all up in some nylons. air/moisture can still get through but it will hold the litter better.
    It deffinitely seems that kitty litter is lighter than the Heartfelt beads. To get 4 ounces in one case it's well over an inch thick so I think I'll need to put the whole thing in a stocking either way.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. The wait is like Christmas, when you were a kid, isn't it?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Very nice. The wait is like Christmas, when you were a kid, isn't it?
    It is. I must've checked the tracking number every day.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I have 2 of these humis and they are great. I have been using 1 since November 2010 and it holds rh perfectly. My wife got me a 2nd for father's day this year and it is going strong. Enjoy it brother, ands congratulations.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohn:
    I have 2 of these humis and they are great. I have been using 1 since November 2010 and it holds rh perfectly. My wife got me a 2nd for father's day this year and it is going strong. Enjoy it brother, ands congratulations.
    Thanks! finishing 2nd day of seasoning, Dustin (catfishbluezz) has been helping me prep for using kitty litter to control humidity and if I'm not mistaken today is the day the KL goes in.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    ShotgunJohn:
    Thanks! finishing 2nd day of seasoning, Dustin (catfishbluezz) has been helping me prep for using kitty litter to control humidity and if I'm not mistaken today is the day the KL goes in.
    What has the rh been at? I'm assuming the sponge has been in there and shot glass for a couple days? That being said, throw it in and leave hte sponge in there overnight. Pull the sponge tomorrow and then let the beads stabilize. If rh drops too low, shoot a bit of distilled water on the beads.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    ehehat:
    ShotgunJohn:
    What has the rh been at? I'm assuming the sponge has been in there and shot glass for a couple days? That being said, throw it in and leave hte sponge in there overnight. Pull the sponge tomorrow and then let the beads stabilize. If rh drops too low, shoot a bit of distilled water on the beads.
    Been at 80% since thurs.
  • Options
    Here's the humi seasoned and loaded. Been holding solid between 65 & 67 rh using kitty litter. I couldn't find a way to use the original humidifier cases with the amount of kl I need. I'm still looking but for now lining up the panty hose in the middle is working well.
    top image
    bottom image thanks to Dustin for your help with setting the kl. Still looking forward to herfing with you in that suburb of Oildale.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I like your choice in smokes on the upper deck. Ruinations and cores are two of my favs. Good luck with the new humi looks great. If I only had some help with my first humi.