Home General Discussion
Options

New Man Cave-Complete with 2 days to spare.

Comments

• Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    It's all about ventilation. I smoke in my apartment all the time and there is not one trace of smoke smell in it. What I do it open a window on one side of the apartment then open another window on the other side of the apartment. The one window allows fresh air to come in while the other window becomes the exhaust. Works great. So in your case if you go with bathroom vents etc. make sure that they are opposite side from each other and that one is sucking in fresh air while the other is blowing it out.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    very cool man!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very nice...Congrats Paul!
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Nice man very nice. My wife says when we remodel are house I can turn one room into a smoking room. I'm very jealous though until then I will have to go outside which I still do enjoy. It's 25tonight with 15 mph winds man I wish I had a indoor area. Enjoy man now all you need is a stinky ashtray or two and you will be all set somebody send me his addy so I can send him one.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didnt notice was there a mail box on there??
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Had 6 of us int there Friday night, and I can tell you ventilation will be a hurdle. I was using a window fan to exhaust, which helped, but was not enough to keep a non smoking friend happy.

Wiring starts next week.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Pross, can I threadjack and put some pics of MY new man cave up?
  • Options
    Jack away. Love to see it.
  • Options
    pross:
    Jack away. Love to see it.
    Hahaha, so you can laugh ;) I'll take a few. My "man cave" is really just me clearing out a section of the garage to use for whatever the **** I want.
  • Options
    The blue chair is kind of the boundry. Everything behind it, my wife has to go through and decide what she wants to keep before I throw it away.imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Drywall, leather couch, power..you are way ahead of me.. I have 100 foot extension cord and cable running across my lawn. My wife thinks I am frickin nuts...
  • Options
    That couch cost me...because I had to buy a new one for the living room! Pross, PM me your addy. I have something for your man cave.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set up. Thanks for sharing Randy.
    Rain:
    The blue chair is kind of the boundry. Everything behind it, my wife has to go through and decide what she wants to keep before I throw it away.imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Randy, have you ever been enjoying yourself in there and all of a sudden the garage door opens? Btw isn't it nice enough there to be outside most of the time?
  • Options
    Haha, no on the door, I have it open most of the time. I could be outside most of the time, but I need the man cave to mix two of my hobbies...gars and pc games.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Haha, no on the door, I have it open most of the time. I could be outside most of the time, but I need the man cave to mix two of my hobbies...gars and pc games.
    Fo sho!!
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Hey Randy, have you ever been enjoying yourself in there and all of a sudden the garage door opens? Btw isn't it nice enough there to be outside most of the time?
    that would be hilarious!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Define "enjoying yourself". ROFL!
    I'm sorry, but you know someone was thinking it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    I'm wanting to do something similar in my garage. Smoking lounge and game room. What can I do to safely and relatively cheaply heat/cool it?
  • Options
    For a garage, I guess it depends on hot hot/cold it gets. In CA you might be able to get by with a nice fan. I guess if not, you'd need to look at a window AC/Heating unit. To be honest, though, those are just guesses.
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    0patience:
    Bigshizza:
    Sick people we are..... I had the same thought !

Hey Randy, nice cave..... perfect with the desk and PC. Hope to see it one of these days !
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I am hoping to do the same thing when the wife and I get a house this fall!
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I'm jealous.....
    I tried "converting" one of my backyard sheds using two windows, one for intake, and one for exhaust using fan, etc.......failed miserably..........I probably could have done a better job of it.....but after waiting 3 weeks for the smell to finally get out of my shed (multiple ozium treatents, door left open, etc.) I decided to give up.

Based on my failure, and few things I've read, you'll want a REALLY good ceiling exhaust fan first.
    Then, the interior of the cave should have no carpeting, rugs, traditional couches, etc.
    Leather and wood only for flooring, walls, furniture, and such. You want nothing that can absorb odors.
    Finally, the pot-belly stove or similar is a great idea too!

• Options
    jadelt:
    0patience:
    Bigshizza:
    Sick people we are..... I had the same thought !

Hey Randy, nice cave..... perfect with the desk and PC. Hope to see it one of these days !
    All of my BOTLs, even Seagarlover, have a lifetime invitation to stop by!
  • Options
    Complete with man cave dog.image
  • Options
    Making some progress on man cave. Basic wiring done. Ventilation installed. I opted for a Panasonic Whisperline inline fan, with two pickups. The fan is rated for 340 cfm and is supposed to be very quiet at 1.7 sones.

Since the room is just over 200 square feet, with 8 foot ceilings, this should replace the air in the room just about 12 times per hour. This should be adequate, and I can supplement with a window fan if the need arises.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• Options
    Nice progress! Herf at Pross' house.
  • Options
    Been working hard on man town lately. Getting close. Building is wired, insulated, and dry walled.

The lower chair rail will be 1 x 8 tongue and grove pine, as well as the ceiling. Wood being delivered tomorrow.

shooting for a 90% completion for Super Bowl.

• Options
    And I finally found nice propane stove for heat!

beautiful condition off Craigslist. Just had to reseat thermocouple to get it working. Seller didn't think it worked. Took me 5 minutes to get working.

• Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good pross, what kind of flooring u going with?