Home General Discussion
Options

Pick Joe's Smoke

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like its time for a bigger box :) No thats cool. Happy smoking buddy.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Sounds like its time for a bigger box :)
    Can anyone say slippery slope? I wish I could limit myself to a small humidor, I really do wish I had the self control to do that.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    Can anyone say slippery slope? I wish I could limit myself to a small humidor, I really do wish I had the self control to do that.
    The slope is not slippery, it solid ice and is closer to a cliff than a slope. I went from a 50 ct humi to a 3 humis and a wine fridge in less than 6 months. Self control is not something I normally lack but cigars hmmmm, well those aren't something I lack either :).
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Maddy, check your PM. Thanks.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    The slope is not slippery, it solid ice and is closer to a cliff than a slope. I went from a 50 ct humi to a 3 humis and a wine fridge in less than 6 months. Self control is not something I normally lack but cigars hmmmm, well those aren't something I lack either :).
    HA! Sounds like me. I started with a 20 count ccom humidor and a Rocky Patel sampler. A mere 7 months later I have the same 20 count, 2 250 count and a 120 quart coolerdor for box storage... I've even gone from passive to active humidification, and let me tell ya right now madurofan, you were right all along about the Cigar Oasis, that little thing rocks like nobody's business. And needless to say I've got enough cigars to last through the next ice age.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    HA! Sounds like me. I started with a 20 count ccom humidor and a Rocky Patel sampler. A mere 7 months later I have the same 20 count, 2 250 count and a 120 quart coolerdor for box storage... I've even gone from passive to active humidification, and let me tell ya right now madurofan, you were right all along about the Cigar Oasis, that little thing rocks like nobody's business. And needless to say I've got enough cigars to last through the next ice age.
    See once you get started on the Oasis' there is no going back.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Two more to add from yesterday.

1. La Aurora No. 4
    This is one of the two cigars I dragged back from Breckenridge because one of the people I was with decided to smoke... um... different stuff instead of cigars. The wife and kids are out of town for a week, and I had very little work to do on a Friday afternoon. I pulled the laptop onto the deck out back and decided to see what this cheap little guy had to offer.

The overall construction was very suspect. I had trouble getting a clean light, which was surprising for such a small ring gauge. Once lit, however, it burned consistently. There was a hint of decent flavor to start, and the middle section was actually quite good. It burned hot and tasteless toward the end, and left me uninspired. I tried every trick in the book to get some body out of this, but it wasn't going to happen. I'd take one if it were offered, but if I were to buy La Aurora, I'd like to try a different shape with a fat ring.

2. Gurkha Sherpa Toro

You may have noticed by now that I tend to smoke the lowest-quality stuff I've got on hand first. I'm still sitting on a couple Onyx Reserve, an RP Vintage, Gurkha Regent... I have trouble explaining this. Well, I decided to reward myself for muddling through low-potential sticks into one that has carried some decent reviews here. I also wanted to see how my experience differed from what I had read.

For some reason, this cigar presented some trouble in lighting, but evened itself out automatically after several draws. The construction seemed a bit loose. As the ash hung, it almost seemed to melt from the end of the cigar, bending down to a point where I thought it would drip in my lap. Twice when I ashed it, a long, thin strand of ash seemed to cling on for dear life, forcing me to gently coax it away. Two-thirds of the way through, it put itself out, which is probably more a product of the humidity here than the cigar itself. That may also explain the trouble lighting both of today's sticks.

The flavor was subtle -- almost too subtle. Smooth, creamy, pleasant, and consistent from start to finish, although a bit indistinct. It had a medium body which snuck up on me as I tried desperately to reveal its flavor. The lingering aftertaste was cool and inviting. Its lack of complexity was distracting in that I found myself searching for more. Still, at under four bucks, it was certainly an excellent value, and something I'd look forward to casually smoking again.

Having now gone back and re-read other reviews of this cigar, I am amazed at how different my experience was. It's a very nice cigar, but it didn't knock my socks off. I wonder if my impression of consistency and smoothness comes more from my inability to discern different tastes. When I read the word "nutty" it rung out as true to me in the flavor of this cigar. If I had to choose one word for the overall flavor profile, that would have been it.

• Options
    Here we go.. finally I've got another one worth mentioning. The thread on the House Blends has really made me interested, so I decided to pull out the only one I've got on hand for a nice relaxer this afternoon.

I smoked a Cigar.com Cuban Label Corona.

This cigar had a great, full, flavor right from the outset. It lit easily and burned perfectly from beginning to end, crushing my theories about humidity being the culprit on yesterday's cigars. The construction was outstanding, but the most notable aspect was its flavor. It carried a hint of sweetness from beginning to end, and a bunch of other stuff I'm too inexperienced to identify. It only burned a touch hot when I couldn't quit sucking on it because I enjoyed the taste.

For $2.50 this cigar is a steal. I had a hard time letting it go. This would be a great value at more than twice the price. If anybody can make a recommendation based on the taste of this cigar, I'd love to hear it. I'm going to pick up more of this blend in different sizes, as I just can't see not spending the money on such a great, affordable smoke. I'll probably be picking up the house blend sampler at some point and run through them all. For me, this has been a great debut for the house line.
  • Options
    Oooh.. Today is my lucky day! Not just one, but TWO winners today. I just came inside from my evening smoke.

Playboy by Altadis Toro

I wanted to get this out of the humidor, because I felt a little cheesy carrying a cigar with the famed bunny-head logo, no matter how impressive it looked. I'm a dirty old man, but I try to be a bit more discreet in how that presents itself. Well, I may have to suck it up and wear the label on my shirt for a change.

The construction of this cigar was practically flawless. Smooth, consistent, and cool burn all the way through. I used to smoke many Montecristos back in the day, and that's exactly what this cigar is... It's a premium Montecristo with a different band. The flavor was a bit more pronounced, but don't ask me to classify it outside of saying it was yummy. The flavor was a touch mild, but distinctly present and satisfying. I nubbed this cigar after 75 minutes. As with other Montecristos, it was slightly on the mild side of medium in body, but I never seemed to mind.

This cigar carries a price point similar to many Montecristos ($8-12). A little web search (Altadis Playboy) will reveal for you a special offer for a 3-cigar trial sampler for under $8 shipped. I highly recommend picking this up, or checking out your local B&M for one. I don't think any of you will be disappointed here. This cigar reminded me of the real Montecristo, and makes me think perhaps the one I'd smoke earlier might have been a dud.
  • Options
    This afternoon's smoke was pretty good, but not sensational.

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Torpedo

This cigar gave me a lot of burn issues, which is very rare for me after I finally learned how to smoke my cigars. It's my first box-pressed, so maybe I need to learn how to nurse those better. It also burned really fast at first, then cooled off and slowed down as it settled in.

The flavor of this was good. It reminded me a bit of a toasted bagel with butter on it... slightly sweet and very smooth. A hint of spice showed up for the occassional draw, but vanished quickly. I liked the flavor a lot, but it wasn't pronounced enough for my tastes. I wished for more taste. I found it to be medium in body.

The aroma was wonderful -- like a campfire. I wished my wife were around to tell me if she could tolerate the smell as much as I enjoyed it. The taste of the unlit tobacco on my lips and tongue was spectacular. If I ever decided to eat a cigar rather than smoke it, this thing would be at the top of my list. Since I'm in the business of smoking them, however, I know there are better values to be found out there. Still, I would buy this again in the future for a pleasant medium-bodied smoke among friends.

This makes me wonder how different the Vintage 1992 is. I understand it is a little fuller in body and flavor, which would make this an outstanding cigar in my mind. I will definitely be picking up one of those in the future.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey duty.. I think that if you liked the 1990 you will really enjoy the 1992. The '92 is more full bodied has a richer taste and a lot more flavor going on, this because of the Ecuadorian wrapper. I have found that most often I prefer cigars with the Ecuador wrapper because of the wonderful flavor profile they provide. I will always light the '92 if given the choice..These are two cigars that I always keep on hand and you will not be disappointed with the '92, I like the robusto size but the Torpedo really gets some rave reviews..
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I had one of the 1990's over the weekend, and found I prefer the 1992, as well, for all the reasons already mentioned -- more flavor being the main one.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I have found that most often I prefer cigars with the Ecuador wrapper because of the wonderful flavor profile they provide.
    I think I'm learning the same thing about my own tastes, based on what I've had recently.

Tomorrow I'm likely having the Onyx Reserve Toros that I've been saving up to share with a good friend. It's been a long time since I've experienced this cigar, and I've built it up in my mind to be the greatest thing in the world. The good news is, if I get let down after all my hype, I'll have opened the doors to a whole new world of tasting new brands in search of the perfect cigar. If it's everything I remember and more, well, I'm going to have to ask for another humi for my birthday and by me a box :)
  • Options
    OK... First an update. I bought a Bolivar Churchill and an RP 1992 Churchill today on recommendations from this thread. I'll let those babies rest a bit and give them a go in the next month or two. Tonight, however, was my much-anticipated reunion with the Onyx Reserve.

Onyx Reserve Toro

I got these right after my wife bought me the humidor. I wanted to save them for a special occassion to smoke with a good friend (my primary climbing partner). I invited him over (and his wife.. and their dog) for some Pyrat XO and an Onyx Reserve. I've built this cigar up in my mind as the greatest thing ever in the land of tobacco, but I haven't had one since I was in college.

Construction, appearance, and all that baloney gave every impression of being perfect.. but those things really don't matter a whole lot to me. The flavor was ever-present.. not as sweet as I remember, but a classic maduro cigar in flavor. Smooth and mellow the whole way through. The smoke was thick and the body was mild-to-medium. The social atmosphere didn't allow me the opportunity to thoroughly dissect the taste. It is as I remembered, if not a bit subdued. This probably comes from my maturation as a smoker more than anything else.

There were some minor burn issues, and draw seemed excessively tight through the whole experience. Perhaps some of the value of this cigar comes from a less-experienced roller. The most disappointing part of the whole thing was that my South African buddy was done with his halfway through, feeling sick to his stomach (he's a cigarette smoker, and inhaled it all). What a waste of a fine cigar. I'm glad I didn't elect to share anything costly with him.

I need buy more of these to give them the attention they deserve. Flavorwise, while this was excellent, I think I liked the Camacho 1962 better. I'll save this cigar for a better review later. There were too many distractions to really devote time to this tonight.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm...
    i did like the 1962. In fact i rated it better than the onyx myself.
    however, the price point of the onyx will make it a regular in the humidor, unlike the 1962 that will only be a semi regular (with a few in the aging box)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    hmmm...
    i did like the 1962. In fact i rated it better than the onyx myself.
    however, the price point of the onyx will make it a regular in the humidor, unlike the 1962 that will only be a semi regular (with a few in the aging box)
    Don't you just feel terrible when someone asks what your smoking and you give them a favored or expensive stick and they toss it after a few minutes.. Keep cheap stuff around for mooches and share the goods with people who you know appreciate what they are holding..and will return the favor.
  • Options
    At least the Onyx is cheap. If it weren't one of my favorite cigars, it wouldn't have bothered me.
  • Options
    Tonight I found myself with a lot of time between work and my late hockey game. I decided to bust out a longer smoke and relax on the deck to enjoy a beautiful day.

H Upmann Vintage Cameroon Toro

This had an excellent aroma out of the cellophane. The flavor started out simple and subtle -- just like the H. Upmann Classic I had in Colorado. It carried a medium body throughout, which built slightly toward the end as I passed the 90 minute mark. There was a hint of spiciness, which I've found I don't particularly care for, but it was quiet enough to be palatable and give character to what would otherwise have been too casual. It burned evenly and slow, with a faint sweetness. I'd smoke this again, but probably in a Robusto or Corona next time. I found myself bored with the flavor by the end, but amazed at the stamina of this smoke. Not bad, but I won't be buying another in the near future.

• Options
    Picked a winner tonight after a long day!

Cusano Corojo Vintage 1997 Robusto

Oooohh.. This was a tasty treat. By the reviews and description, I was expecting a full-bodied blast that would blow me away and put me to bed early, but this was instead a lovely cigar from beginning to end. It burned crisp, cool and even the whole way. The body never built beyond medium, and I don't know if that was due to the month of rest it had in the humi, or if I was just well-prepared.

The taste on this cigar was incredibly smooth and consistent from start to finish. The finish came too soon for my tastes, which resulted in a most ridiculous scene of a fool gripping the remnants of a nub between his two pinky fingers, trying to get every last puff of tasty goodness before its remains fell to the floor of the deck. I would smoke this again and again. I wouldn't hesitate to share it with friends who can enjoy a good smoke, and will surely pick up more to keep on hand in the future.

• Options
    i always try ands smoke this cigar in the fall. ive never been disapointed by it either. I wonder what their next corojo vintageis gunna be or if their corojo vintage line is gone when the 97 is.
  • Options
    Tonight we went over to the neighbor's place for some swimming and BBQ. He's apparently a hot-shot BBQ chef, and wanted to get a practice run on his recipe for this year's Charlotte contest. Good stuff. I brought along a 5 Vegas Classic Torpedo. This is the first time I've had this shape, although I've had many 5 Vegas Classic in the past (usually the Churchill). The flavor was quite standard and familiar. I still don't see how this cigar grabbed a big rating from a snooty, pretentious cigar rag, but its right up my alley for a classic, reliable, low-attention smoke. Low in body, fine in flavor, and low-maintenance all the way. Interestingly, the draw was a tad loose, even though the burn was still long. I've never known a torpedo to draw loose, although I admittedly have smoked few of them.
  • Options
    i think the draw on the torps depend much more on the cut. the less you cut off the harder the draw.
  • Options
    That's been my experience kuzi. Generally I'll make my first cut on a torpedo so that I have roughly a 1/4 inch diameter cut to draw from and that usually works for me, occasionally I'll have to cut a bit more.
  • Options
    thats about where i aim for too. Ive found that on camachos a tiny bit more works for me.
  • Options
    CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon Robusto

This cigar was my second venture into the Cameroon-wrapper. Inspired mostly by its short size, as well as by all the recent discussion about Cameroon wrappers. The flavor was decent, though not overbearing. I was worried about the extra spice I'd gotten from my first Cameroon (H. Upmann), but this spice was a lot more pleasant. No less spicy, just with a decent flavor. I still don't think this is my style of smoke, but it was smooth and consistent, and smoked very well. I'd certainly enjoy another in the future, but wouldn't find myself craving them. By the flavor and body, I'd like to try more CAO under a different wrapper.

• Options
    Gurkha Regent Torpedo

I decided to go back to my trusty stand-by -- the maduro wrapper. It's always so smooth and delicious. The Regent gave a nice toasty flavor at the start, and became mellow and leathery from there. The middle of the cigar picked up considerably in both flavor and body, suggesting I was potentially in for a challenge. However, it backed off the throttle for the final stretch, and pulled into the garage as cool and smooth as could be. I was quite pleased with this cigar, and would definitely smoke it again. It reminded me alot, however, of the RP Vin 1990 in that I enjoyed the flavor, but wanted it to be a touch more pronounced.
  • Options
    Trinidad 100th Anniversary Toro

At 6x54, I knew this was going to be a time-consuming smoke. It is also supposed to be full-bodied, so I have put off trying this until I was well-prepared. This cigar held true in both those respects. I also wanted to be sure I had the time and presence of mind to sit with it. Apparently this is a limited-edition with only 300 boxes (per size) being made.

It burned nicely and carried a good ash. The smoke wasn't abnormally thick, but it was unbelievably heavy. Each puff would sink toward the ground or hover in mid-air until it was gently carried away. The flavor was a lot like the Gurkha Sherpa, but much more pronounced. I thought this was a very good cigar, but would look to smoke it in a smaller size, as it was every bit as full-bodied as I could handle.

• Options
    Last night I had an excellent smoke with my father-in-law.

Gurkha Royal Brigade

The flavor of this smoke was cool and inviting from the start. The ash hung on forever, and no burn issues were encountered in the first half. As the middle approached, the flavor showed a hint of spice, but overall remained very mellow. As the burn passed the halfway point, the wrapper became flaky and loose. The burn required a couple corrections but stayed unbelievably cool the whole way. The slight spice vanished and the flavor toward the end finished nicely. This is an outstanding smoke, but not really a value at fifteen bucks. The cool flavor worked beautifully for a warm summer night, and I will probably look to have another around this time next year.
  • Options
    Back-to-back reviews... Didn't have time to post last night's, but I wrote that blurb last night. Tonight, I'm in nice and early after a disappointment.

Bolivar Churchill

This cigar had a wonderful aroma out of the cellophane, and the unlit tobacco reminded me a lot of the RP Vin 1990. I was very excited to get into this cigar. The initial taste was warm and inviting, and I expected this to build into a great flavor. Instead, it turned bitter, and a bit bland. As it progressed, the bitterness escalated. I blew through the cigar to try to clear out the bitterness, but things only got worse.

As I passed the middle, there were occassional hints of the flavor I expected, but it disappeared in a flash and I was left feeling like I was smoking one of my hockey socks. With 60 minutes invested, and almost two inches left to the band, I had to put it out of its misery. This says a lot, because I absolutely hate waste.

This cigar came recommended in this thread, and I can't help but think I just got a dud, knowing who had recommended it. Someday I'll give this another shot, just not this year.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Let the Bolivar age. I had the same experience so I let them sit awhile. They have been resting 6 months and are starting to open a little. My guess is that these are going to be very good in another 6 months.