Home General Discussion
Options

What size cigar do you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    MBISONMBISON Posts: 45

kuzi16:
    you can get a cooler smoke from a smaller ring. just slow down. plus the smaller ring gives you a higher wrapper to filler ratio. more wrapper = more flavor.

Definitely agree with you on that. However I don't know if it’s just me but I tend to find a wider range of complexity on larger rings. Smaller rings are without a doubt flavorful but more straightforward. I also find larger rings to be fuller bodied. But then again I think it depends on everyone's personal experiences while trying different brands. For instance I smoke a lot of  Joya de Nicaragua Antaños. It is like my go to cigar when I’m craving some muscle in my smokes. My 2 preferred sizes on this particular brand are the Cónsul (4.5 x 52) and the Gran Cónsul (4.7 x 60). I always find the Gran Cónsul to have a lot hints and notes of different tobacco flavors on its blend whereas the Cónsul, although more flavorful, tends to be less aggressive on the blend's depth and array of complexity. Not to mention the Gran Cónsul's fuller body which definitely can make you turn pale before you put it out. But my experience may be different from yours. That's the beauty of this hobby. There's a color for every taste. Keep posting!!!

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    MBISON:

kuzi16:
    you can get a cooler smoke from a smaller ring. just slow down. plus the smaller ring gives you a higher wrapper to filler ratio. more wrapper = more flavor.

Definitely agree with you on that. However I don't know if it’s just me but I tend to find a wider range of complexity on larger rings. Smaller rings are without a doubt flavorful but more straightforward. I also find larger rings to be fuller bodied. But then again I think it depends on everyone's personal experiences while trying different brands. For instance I smoke a lot of  Joya de Nicaragua Antaños. It is like my go to cigar when I’m craving some muscle in my smokes. My 2 preferred sizes on this particular brand are the Cónsul (4.5 x 52) and the Gran Cónsul (4.7 x 60). I always find the Gran Cónsul to have a lot hints and notes of different tobacco flavors on its blend whereas the Cónsul, although more flavorful, tends to be less aggressive on the blend's depth and array of complexity. Not to mention the Gran Cónsul's fuller body which definitely can make you turn pale before you put it out. But my experience may be different from yours. That's the beauty of this hobby. There's a color for every taste. Keep posting!!!

thats fair. the best cigar i have ever had was a 44 ring. ...but my go to cigar is a 50...for different reasons.

A larger righ does allow more tobacco to be packed into each cigar. Im not sure if that makes a difference in complexity. Many blenders blend each size to taste the same.

as for as how powerful the cigar is... hmmm ...my thought is more ligero more body. correct me if im wrong.
  • Options
    MBISONMBISON Posts: 45

It is really hard to have a blend taste the same in so many different sizes. As you say, different sizes require different quantity ratios of a specific blendwrapper. I guess that's why every size of a specific brand get different ratings and scores. Of course those ratings also depend on that specific size's burn, construction, presentation, etc. But definitely, I always find difference in taste and flavor when trying different sizes from a specific blend.

You definitely bring an important point to the table with your thoughts about ligero and I totally agree. Chances are that if a blender wants his creation to pack a punch he will add some ligero (AKA tobacco Novocain) to his blend. And the more the merrier. Of course there's also a chance that he may use a nice corojo wrapper or even a sun grown wrapper instead. You know that those 2 wrappers (among others) can definitely add some life to a specific blend. WATCHA THINK my fellow cigar junkies??????

• Options
    6clicks6clicks Posts: 34

I was thinking, wow, that's a hard question. I too always thought bigger was better so Churchills were my faves, next was Lonsdales. Now that I'm gaining more experience (still a rookie) I too find robustos to be my favorite size. I also have a thing for unusual sticks like perfectos and torpedos and other firurados. They constantly change the blend ratio I think and can make for a real interesting smoke. I no longer herf while mowing the lawn. The 2 or 3 sticks a week that I smoke are done in complete relaxation with a crossword puzzle or good paper or book, an appropriate beverage (usually adult) and a comfortable chair. Pure pleasure. You guys know  better than me, but ain't it great? I'm loving it.

George

• Options
    aaronaaron Posts: 14
    I tend to go for Robusto mostly.  I can get about 1.5 hours out of it and that is perfect for me. 
  • Options
    jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    kuzi16:
    +1

My only problem with smaller ring'd smokes is that they tend to smoke hotter, for me anyway.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't have anything against a smaller ring gauge, in fact I think a 38-44 ring is an ideal size on a "jawbuster" basis, though I still like a short fat smoke and I don't see that changing... on that note, I've got some Oliva Serie V Lanceros resting right now, and I'll be looking to fire one of those up in a few weeks or so, after they've had at least a month to acclimate and settle, I'll see if I can manage to keep a smaller ring burning cool now that I know how to smoke a cigar instead of trying to incinerate it.

Joe
  • Options
    Seems like most "posters" like Toros or Robustos -about 5-6 inches and 48+ ring gauge. Me too. But,recently I tried a size about 6 inches long and small gauge(maybe 40 or so) and I found it intense! I liked it a lot and will start experimenting with these sizes.
  • Options
    Absolutely right. More wrapper equals more flavor -just go slow.
  • Options
    tripledeadheat:
    Seems like most "posters" like Toros or Robustos -about 5-6 inches and 48+ ring gauge. Me too. But,recently I tried a size about 6 inches long and small gauge(maybe 40 or so) and I found it intense! I liked it a lot and will start experimenting with these sizes.
    goes back to the wrapper to filler ratio. Many smokers like the larger rings first because they burn cooler. then they just like them because they have always liked them. the small ring gauge cigars have alot to offer.
  • Options
    I've had cigars of all different sizes and shapes, but so far my favorites have all been in the upper-mid ranges ring-wise, and varying lengths. Right now, though, I'm on a smaller cigar kick.This is partially because they're easier to keep evenly lit and burning (less surface area) while allowing for proper intervals between puffs to keep it smoking cool. The other part is because, while I'd like to have the time to sit down and smoke a fat churchill every day, I usually don't any day, much less every day. Which actually works for me because, unless I have another activity like company or a book, I get all ADD after about the first hour or so.

ALSO!!! Cigars like the CAO Brazilia Cariocas come in shiney tins!!! SHINEY!!!1one!!1

(speaking of ADD)

Also, MBISON, do I detect a Street Fighter reference? If so then: woohoo fellow gamer!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    gott.des.feuer:
    company or a book

There's a difference?

I also like the 50+ Toro and Torpedo best, with the Robusto for when I have less time.  However, my favoritest cigar is the Hemingway Classic, a 48.  (Well, actually, my favoritest cigar is the Masterpiece, but who has time?)

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    gott.des.feuer:
    company or a book

There's a difference?

I also like the 50+ Toro and Torpedo best, with the Robusto for when I have less time.  However, my favoritest cigar is the Hemingway Classic, a 48.  (Well, actually, my favoritest cigar is the Masterpiece, but who has time?)

More often than not, I'd prefer the book to company.... usually makes a better companion for a quiet time with a good cigar. I think torpedos are classic, but I've found a fondness for a size similar in ring size to the Classic, that would be the Punch punch, I'm in love with that cigar. In general, I'm growing more and more fond of smaller rings as I gain more experience with cigars. I'm finding out that smaller rings have a lot to offer.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    More often than not, I'd prefer the book to company.
    True. I'm pretty choosy about my company, but it's true, nonetheless.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I love a good book as much as anyone but when it comes to cigar smoking I prefer company. I had a wise old man(well if he knew I called him old I wouldn't be allowed in the local B&M anymore, LOL) tell me cigar smoking is for the social setting, for businessmen, the golf course or the cigar lounge. Pipe smoking is for relaxation alone with a nice book. I keep looking at pipes but thats all I need is another hobby, or does it count as the same hobby?

P.S. My absolute favorite size/shape is the perfecto. Behind that right now I'd have to say NUB sized. Seriously in general, aside from the perfecto, size to me depends on how long I want to smoke and where I am.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Pipe smoking is for relaxation alone with a nice book. I keep looking at pipes but thats all I need is another hobby, or does it count as the same hobby?
    agreed on the book part... it is not the same hobby though. i tried to get into pipes. it didnt work out for me. I found that i dont have the patience for a pipe. too many relights.
    madurofan:
    Seriously in general, aside from the perfecto, size to me depends on how long I want to smoke and where I am.
    i once read that you should never decide what size your cigar is by the time you have. you should use only one thing to determine what size cigar you want: taste.

if you like the way a chruchill tastes in that line, only smoke that size...even if you only have 45 minutes to do so.

im not saying i agree with that...

it is a good thought.
  • Options
    I don't liek flavored stuff thats why I haven't got into pipes. Even the non "flavored" stuff smells like its flavored to me. But I'm kind of impatient too.

Hmmm the not choosing by your time is probably true but I'm still on the lets try every cigar you can possibly get your hands on kick so it works for me bc typically right now when I'm picking a cigar out at the B&M its something I haven't tried anyways.
  • Options
    On a side note I'm always skeptical of what I read ... I once read you should only believe half of what you read and none of what you heard. Wait did I just read that I shouldn't believe half of what I read? hmmm should I believe that?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    On a side note I'm always skeptical of what I read ... I once read you should only believe half of what you read and none of what you heard. Wait did I just read that I shouldn't believe half of what I read? hmmm should I believe that?
    ... only half of it.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    ... only half of it.

LMAO
  • Options
    Yes, pipe smoking does take a good deal more patience and effort, not to mention skill. There's a craft to it that I never quite mastered. Every now and then I'd get a bowl to smoke nice and even and dry all the way to the bottom, but not often enough to keep me trying, ultimately.

As for the flavored smell, you just need to smoke something heavier on Latakia. Something like Esoterica's "And So To Bed" blend, which is aptly named. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. I think I'll stick to stogies for now.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    thats exactly where i am. cigars are fine by me
  • Options
    Churchill
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    thats exactly where i am. cigars are fine by me
    I'm pretty much the same way. I kinda want to learn to smoke a pipe as an excuse to get one of those churchwarden pipes with the 9" stems just for the aesthetics, but the whole process of pipe smoking seems a little convoluted. This coming from a guy who's finally grown a well-rounded appreciation for the nuances of cigar smoking. Idunno... there's a certain something to be admired in the self-contained nature of the cigar. It frees up that much more concentration to really appreciate the tobacco itself, with just enough "ritual" to rest at a happy medium that makes it relaxing instead of tedious.
  • Options
    Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I think the toro is pefect for all occasions. Except for the cold weather.
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Not really a huge issue for me but I guess I prefer the torpedo with a tie between the corona and robusto for second place.
  • Options
    Big Dean:
    I think the toro is pefect for all occasions. Except for the cold weather.
    What is this "cold weather" you speak of?
  • Options
    gott.des.feuer:
    I'm pretty much the same way. I kinda want to learn to smoke a pipe as an excuse to get one of those churchwarden pipes with the 9" stems just for the aesthetics, but the whole process of pipe smoking seems a little convoluted. This coming from a guy who's finally grown a well-rounded appreciation for the nuances of cigar smoking. Idunno... there's a certain something to be admired in the self-contained nature of the cigar. It frees up that much more concentration to really appreciate the tobacco itself, with just enough "ritual" to rest at a happy medium that makes it relaxing instead of tedious.
    Very true. Still, there's something very civilized about a pipe, and I like the fact that it's a permanent artifact, rather than something you use up. Not unlike a good humidor, a pipe ages with a man, and improves with age; becomes a trusted companion.

If he can keep it lit, that is. :)
  • Options
    See and we once again come back to the ... "if he can keep it lit".