Home General Discussion
Options

Looking for help my botl

Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok so my father in law loves bourbon whiskey, and I'm looking to buy him a nice bottle for Christmas so we can enjoy it together on new years when we are smoking but I don't want to get him the norm, like makers, knob creek, Jim jack or Johnny, u get the picture, I'm looking for a bottle for him that he probably hasn't had, he won't be home till December 30th so I have some time, need some suggestions where to get something, he is a riverboat captain so he has been everywhere.Thanks guys for your help

Comments

• Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    There are some great brothers here that have alot of bourbon knowledge. My favorite that I've tried so far is 4 Roses single barrel. It's sooo good!
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Roberto99:
    There are some great brothers here that have alot of bourbon knowledge. My favorite that I've tried so far is 4 Roses single barrel. It's sooo good!

+1. 4 Roses SB and Woodford are my favorites and don't break the bank.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always look into Johnny Walker Blue. They are doing special engraved bottles for $225 right now.
    It's steep, but it'd be a one of a kind bottle.
    They are only engraving 1 bottle for every 1,000 made.
    At least that is what I understand.
    If you need more info on where to get it, let me know and I'll PM you the link to it.

Anyway, just a thought.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's something new out, limited edition, I think it's called Eagle Reserve, and I believe it's made by the folks who make Buffalo Trace. I saw it a few weeks ago, I was buying a bottle of Bushmill's Irish Whisky. If I hadn't set my mind on the Bushmills, which I hadn't had in many years, I'd have bought it at the recommendation of the store owner. He really talked it up. If it's half has good as he says, I'm getting it next time I go there.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Find Jdh or Jthanatos, they are very good at this! Heard the Eagle was good!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    You could always look into Johnny Walker Blue. They are doing special engraved bottles for $225 right now.
    It's steep, but it'd be a one of a kind bottle.
    They are only engraving 1 bottle for every 1,000 made.
    At least that is what I understand.
    If you need more info on where to get it, let me know and I'll PM you the link to it.

Anyway, just a thought.
    you can get the bottles engraved. I know a place that will do them for about $160.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    A couple that I've tried this year that I thought were really good and won't break your bank are Blanton's and Booker's.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed.......$40ish and friggin awesome hooch.
  • Options
    Thanks guys , will definently check in on those, heading to Louisville next Thursday Friday, so will look then.
  • Options
    Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    their is one very respected BOTL who's favorite is Bookers........
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    If you can swing it, the Eagle Rare 17 is outstanding. It runs about $70 here.
  • Options
    Awesome thanks again guys, I think he has had bookers, I will look into the others.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    What does he normally drink in Bourbon? And what is your budget?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Blanton's is my all-time favorite, lots of brown sugary goodness.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    I'm not sure, I would say 100 or less
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an excellent 17 year old bourbon I've tried and it has a most unassuming name: Vintage Bourbon. Also a fairly 'un-flashy' label. It's 94 proof, very smooth, and is put out by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. in Bardstown, KY. It's around $80-85 per .750 but it's very good.

My particular favorite, though, is Bookers. At 127 proof, it's so smooth I sip it like an 80 proof brandy. Bookers should run around $60 for a .750.

• Options
    Glock1975:
    jthanatos:
    I'm not sure, I would say 100 or less
    Jefferson Presidential 18, this year or last year George T Stagg, Four Roses Small Batch 2012, or Parker's Heritage (I prefer the 2011 to 2012, but both are good) would be my 'high end suggestions'. You could try to find Pappy Van Winkle, especially the 15 year or the Van Winkle Family Reserve 12, but it is A) very hard to find right now and B) arguably not worth the effort. If you are going to Kentucky, and willing to go a bit above your price point, the Bourbon Heritage Center in Bardstown may still have some of their fantastic Elijah Craig 20 yo single barrel. For my 'could buy a couple bottles for your 100', I would suggest Vintage Bourbon 17 yo, Angel's Envy (not sure what the Cask strength is going for, but the regular is 40), Elmer T Lee, and Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. I like Booker's and Blanton's, but they are pretty readily available so, I am not sure if they fit your desire for a 'rarer' whiskey. Eagle Rare 17 can be very good or very mediocre, I have found a lot of fluctuation between bottlings

If I had to pick, I would say #1 Elijah Craig, #2 Four Roses Small Batch 2012, #3 Jefferson. Anything beyond that, I would pick up a couple of the 'value' bottles, especially Vintage Bourbon.
  • Options
    Wow, thanks u know a lot about them, very helpful bro.
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    Wow, thanks u know a lot about them, very helpful bro.
    The only difference between a drunk and a whiskey geek is tasting notes...

PM to you.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Noah's Mill . . . . nothing short of amazing.
  • Options
    *Petey*:
    By the same people that do the Vintage Bourbon and Rowan's Creek. Not to hijack Glock's thread, but if you like Noah's, find yourself a bottle of the other two.
  • Options
    *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    jthanatos:
    *Petey*:
    By the same people that do the Vintage Bourbon and Rowan's Creek. Not to hijack Glock's thread, but if you like Noah's, find yourself a bottle of the other two.
    Thanks man, will definitely try to hunt for those. appreciate the tip.
  • Options
    Awesome stuff guys.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    A couple that I've tried this year that I thought were really good and won't break your bank are Blanton's and Booker's.
    I need your money...and taste. Blanton's is fantastic, but I rarely have it at twice the price of the main stay buffalo trace.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    So many bourbons, so little time.....
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    It's out of your price range, but I thought of it immediately when I read your original post. Jeffersons Ocean is a cool concept for a captain of a ship. I havent had it but it sound interesting. Just a thought.

Making a list of all the before mentioned bourbon. Time to start stocking up on bourbon again. My wife is going to hate you guys.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    +1000
    Ken Light:
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    It's out of your price range, but I thought of it immediately when I read your original post. Jeffersons Ocean is a cool concept for a captain of a ship. I havent had it but it sound interesting. Just a thought.

Making a list of all the before mentioned bourbon. Time to start stocking up on bourbon again. My wife is going to hate you guys.
    yeah that sounds great as well
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    y2pascoe:
    I need your money...and taste. Blanton's is fantastic, but I rarely have it at twice the price of the main stay buffalo trace.
    Blanton's isn't terrible at 50, but yeah I get what you're saying it's a lot more than Trace and that stuff is darn good as well. Shop near me picks out their own barrels of it and they bottle it just for the store. They do the same with JD Single Barrel and Eagle Rare.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    +1000
    Ken Light:
    I gotta say I feel pretty good to know you agree with my taste in anything! lol