Home Cigar 101
Options

Catfish: How to season or reaseason a humidor using Kitty Litter or Beads

Comments

• Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Roberto99:
    I'm interested in what others will say about this. What I did in a similar situation is kept my humicare humidifier and added about 1/2-3/4 lb of kl in a nylon sock. That way when I need to add water to the system I just add it to the humicare device. I think the litter pearls would need a little spritz first but that might depend on the current ambient humidity in your area. If the humidity is high, then no.
    From experience I've used the "socks" and finally went to a shallow container only because you're able to expose more KL with this type than a sock. A shallow container like...1 1/2 high by any width and length as you want....KL works best when it is exposed. When it's in one of those socks you're losing at least 70% of what is inside unless you roll it around on the floor and spritz/spray until the KL gets drenched...that isn't what you want because the KL tends to give off a funky smell when it has too much DW on it. Spraying is your best bet and being able to expose as much surface area is your next best bet...JMHO from 2 years experience.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after a week I got back from my trip all my humi's were around 61-62%. I added a little water to each of my humidifiers so far each humi reads 63%. Is this pretty standard or can I get it up to 65% by adding more water?
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    You can get there. Just take it slow and don't over do it. Eventually you will get to a point they will say at the rh you want them at. Then you'll be on the one month cycle.
  • Options
    Thanks Drew . I got my main right at 68% holding steady for about 15 hours now. Haven't checked the small ones yet today. Will do that here in a bit. Got to get me a couple more hygrometers. I make do with one so it takes time to do all 3.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Bump
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Bump to help with some questions.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Funny, I am seasoning a humi now for a friend. i just closed it up for over a week without opening. I'm interested to see where it's at.
  • Options
    Loving the KL. Thanks Drew I owe you brother.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Loving the KL. Thanks Drew I owe you brother.
    You dont owe me $hit!
  • Options
    Bump for SmokeWI
  • Options
    Is there a good way to estimate how much KL you need for a given space? I understand more is better, but I'd like to save as much room as possible, for obvious reasons. I have a new humidor 18x11x9 coming in the next couple days.

What do you think? A 1.5 pounds or so?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proper Stranger:
    Is there a good way to estimate how much KL you need for a given space? I understand more is better, but I'd like to save as much room as possible, for obvious reasons. I have a new humidor 18x11x9 coming in the next couple days.

Take a look at heartfelt industries website. There is a calculator there that lets you enter length, height and width of your humidor in the form and it calculates how much of their silica product to use. Then I would double it for use with silica kitty litter. I put the measurements you gave into the calculator on their site and it said 4 ounces. Double it and you get 1/2 pound.

http://heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Also, I assume you've studied up on the "right" kind of kitty litter. 100% silica. Odor free. I started a list of "good" cat litter and "bad" cat litters a while back. Take a look.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=660893#660564
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Proper Stranger:

Take a look at heartfelt industries website. There is a calculator there that lets you enter length, height and width of your humidor in the form and it calculates how much of their silica product to use. Then I would double it for use with silica kitty litter. I put the measurements you gave into the calculator on their site and it said 4 ounces. Double it and you get 1/2 pound.

Also, I assume you've studied up on the "right" kind of kitty litter. 100% silica. Odor free. I started a list of "good" cat litter and "bad" cat litters a while back. Take a look.

You could also save room by drilling holes in a tubo and filling it with KL. It's the size of a cigar and fits well in a humi. Just a thought.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Bob Luken:
    Proper Stranger:

You could also save room by drilling holes in a tubo and filling it with KL. It's the size of a cigar and fits well in a humi. Just a thought.
    I've done this, works well for a 20ct I used a 7/64 bit witch may have been a tad to large some of small particles come thu as sand I wrapped it with nylons, I also had to run a peice of dowel inside the tube to keep it from fraying.
  • Options
    onestrangeone:
    ddubridge:
    Bob Luken:
    Proper Stranger:

I've done this, works well for a 20ct I used a 7/64 bit witch may have been a tad to large some of small particles come thu as sand I wrapped it with nylons, I also had to run a peice of dowel inside the tube to keep it from fraying.
    Great advice! Never thought of the dowel.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Quick update on my experience with KL...

Catfish sent me some KL to add to my set up a while back. I used the 5 lbs of beads I already had to help train the litter (by placing the KL in a small cooler with the beads and slowly wetting them for a few days until they could hold 66% by themselves with the beads removed). The KL has done well in my set up, and I feel that when used properly it can be a great media source for RH. That being said, I will always have beads in my coolers as well for simple peace of mind, but I will never buy beads again. I will simply add more KL and spread out the beads more as my inventory expands.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    That's what happened with me...I progressed from beads to KL..one humidor at a time and now all 30 humidors are KL only. It's like setting your watch...easy and it works all the time. Welcome to the KL train.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    ldmanldman Posts: 19
    catfish,
    Thank you for this thread. As you know in a thread I started, that I'm new to all of this and am already having Humidor issues. I took my smokes out of the box today. Got rid of the foam humi that came with it. ordered some beads today. I'll let you know how things go when I re-season my box "Per your instructions.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Feel free to post any quetions here. i am not here as much as I used to be, but many of the guys have used this method and understand it well. Good luck bro, we'll get ya squared away real quick.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I may just start it over. its empty, and im not hurt for space. yours sounds tried and true.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    I may just start it over. its empty, and im not hurt for space. yours sounds tried and true.
    I used this method on 2 humis and told friends how've used it on at least 3 more. It just works.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    ehehat:
    New Boots:
    I used this method on 2 humis and told friends how've used it on at least 3 more. It just works.
    I have a feeling this will be my method of choice from now on. As long as my patience holds out
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Just started this process three days ago on my new 600ct. I have kitty litter I'll be adding later tonight, I will update on how things go. But thank you very much for this thread!!
  • Options
    I am at day 9 I believe rh is stable at 73 and I believe I will take the leap either later or tomorrow and fill it up!
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Man, sounds like your on a roll!
  • Options
    Way to go. the time it takes can be tough- I'm not a patient man, but the results are worth every minute. When I tried the wipe method my RH would go all over the place and i was constantly spraying my KL. Once I started over with this I've never had a problem and only have to spray once every 4-6 weeks.
  • Options
    Bump for curtiscr79
  • Options
    Ok so it's been a few weeks since I did this seasoning method on my 600ct humi and I've got it all loaded up and it's been holding rock solid at 68% ever since, whenever I open it up it drops down then very quickly jumps back up. Thank you very much catfish I'm super happy with the results!
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Catfish, I'm adding a Medici/Havana Foot Locker to the mix… it should arrive this week. I want to get the seasoning started so that it might be ready when we return from visiting family over the holidays. I'm planning on using 3 sponges; 1 in the lower compartment and the other 2 on each of the shelves. I hope to be able to get through the initial "sponge days" before we leave, pull the sponges and drop in the beads and hygrometer as we head out the door and come home 5 days later, check for consistent rh over the next two days and have a humi ready for loading. Is this a realistic set of expectations? Any suggestions?